Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
One Piece #87


Shudan! #1



Isobe Isobee Monogatari ~Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo~ #15

 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Good BNHA cover
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's like Ikemoto is trying really hard to imitate Kishimoto's dynamic art style. What did this guy do before Boruto?
He did Naruto before Boruto, the guy's been Kishi assistant I think since the very beginning (or at least close to it). I remember Kishimoto saying in an interview or something that he always wanted Ikemoto to get a series of his own and Boruto is kind of his way of giving him one after all his years as an assistant.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
The BNHA cover is incredible.
Yuragi cover is okay.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Btw, this guy was also Kishimoto's assistant.

Where is he now?
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Going by Shoseki ranking, Neverland #5 still keep selling, that series gonna be big when it get an anime, it will sell at least 400-450k per volume.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nice to see Golem Hearts already showcasing a mascot character. It's gonna change the game.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,855
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm gonna laugh so hard when Golem Hearts flops.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
D-dont bully us poor souls who just want a new battle series already :/. Please be decent, GH.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
Going by Shoseki ranking, Neverland #5 still keep selling, that series gonna be big when it get an anime, it will sell at least 400-450k per volume.
I would not be surprised if the series sold more than Haikyuu.
Everything will depend on the anime studio.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I would not be surprised if the series sold more than Haikyuu.
Everything will depend on the anime studio.
And more importantly director/staff.

TPN/KnY/YnY potentially becoming pillars is really exciting tbh.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
hey hey remember that time when Dr Stone was predict to be a battle manga? Good times.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I don't understand these huge expectations for Golem Hearts. If the first chapter is similar to the One-shot, then its nothing particularly special aside from having the potential of being a huge world where a wide variety of adventures can happen, if the mangaka and editor are ambitious enough to do so. Black Clover also had that potential but it wasn't ambitious enough personally. The characters, even if it was just a one-shot, don't really stand out particularly. The MC was decent but this story is going to need a huge amount of polishing to be a hit. Jump might possibly promote this hard because of the "THE JUMP MANGA" vibe I get from the cover but I'm still skeptical overall. Do people just want a new fresh, simple, straightforward battle shounen after all the recent new series which are slightly twisted off that path?

Boruto's cover's composition just doesn't sit right with me. Every time I look at it something always seems off, whether its due to Ikemoto needing to improve his inking as his lines just don't seem to have weight to them and end up all having the same width or the weird mixing of the foreground and background. Boruto is drawn so that he's a part of both and doesn't stand out despite being in the foreground. Heroaca's volume 9, despite getting grief for the purple color scheme, properly distinguishes between the foreground Deku and Muscular and background Tokoyami. OP also does this well. This just seems off in that aspect.

Regarding the Heroaca Vol 16 cover, if I didn't read the series, I'd think Kirishima was the MC. The black and red color scheme is also rather striking and overall makes for a rather strong cover. This trend of covers without Deku on them being top-notch covers really is interesting. The last one with Deku that was really good was probably Vol 9. Since then, something just seems off everything Deku is placed on there. I wonder if the designer or editor wanted Horikoshi to put Deku on there or if Horikoshi himself insisted that Deku be there.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's a hope rather than an expectation, everyone knows good oneshots can end up being awful when serialised but we can at least hope it won't be. It'd certainly be nice to see another big adventure series.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
The one shot was good imo, and I simply just want a good battle series, and it seems to be a good contender.

Sure it could get canceled, but pretty much every series can't be predicted. We're just hopeful that'll be just as enjoyable as the one shot and succeed.

Also, I don't NEED it to bring anything new or special to the table. I just like well written Shonen.
I would say for the most part, MHA doesn't necessarily bring anything new to the table. It just handles troupes very well. And MHA is currently my favorite manga running.

Honestly I'll probably be hopeful anytime I see a new battle series entering the magazine, because I just like battle series
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This trend of covers without Deku on them being top-notch covers really is interesting. The last one with Deku that was really good was probably Vol 9. Since then, something just seems off everything Deku is placed on there. I wonder if the designer or editor wanted Horikoshi to put Deku on there or if Horikoshi himself insisted that Deku be there.
I thought vol. 12 was good.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I think the covers design is decided by the editors. I know several mangakas who make great CPs, but when it comes to the covers... meh. Furudate, for example.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top