Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
It seems that none of the girls have declared their love for the protagonist.
It's a bit difficult to know, since the current chapters are not translated.
Well, OK, thanks, I thought maybe someone was keeping up with the raws at least...
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So after gintama final arc, theyll be free to do BLeach final arc?
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Well, OK, thanks, I thought maybe someone was keeping up with the raws at least...
Honestly, I think the first few chapters of Cross Account kind of stacked the odds against itself by making one girl seem too harsh and the other too perfect. The harsh girl wasn't "mean" to him for that long chapter-wise, but many readers already disliked her based on the first few chapters (although I like her character). I personally find the idol girl to be a bit boring of a character since she seems too perfect. The MC is basically designed so readers will have the ability to insert themselves into a world where a beautiful celebrity secretly thinks and acts just like them, which has apparently not caught on with WSJ readers.

Yuuna fills the ecchi harem romcom slot, and BokuBen is the lighthearted harem romcom representative. Cross Account is an odd love triangle due to which characters actually know the others exist or are talking with them, but it apparently hasn't been getting much in terms of TOC votes. Interestingly, every raw site I've seen the series on has a substantially larger amount of views than the other Jump series. However, since most are actively being translated to the current chapter, there are only a couple of series (Spring Weapon & Shudan off the top of my head) that this can make a fair comparison to.

To answer your question directly, I'd be pretty surprised if Cross Account isn't the first thing to go when more space is needed for a new serialization. Overall, I think that it's alright, but it's not really clicking with what WSJ readers want to see apparently. Thematically, it may have fit better with Jump+ given the prominence of SNS and stuff like that in the series. The art is really great though, I will definitely give it that.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
The MC is basically designed so readers will have the ability to insert themselves into a world where a beautiful celebrity secretly thinks and acts just like them,
Welcome to every shonen romcom my dude.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
The trope by itself isn't really a death sentence. Though if its first impressions we're talking about I think that the kid's master had much more personality to him.

If nothing else, I think displaying some self awareness of their character traits would have helped smooth things over immensely.

The manga as a whole seems to be going for a One Piece-esque type of narrative. That is wacky characters peppered with some melodrama. Though I guess my biggest issue so far is that the characters we're focusing on don't really behave in a way that make them relatable or feel "human".
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Great, Golem Hearts does the one thing i hoped it wouldn't with
introducing a black haired, edgy rival who is better in everything than Noah.
And no one is saying that he's the same as Sasuke like everyone did with Yuno? :3c:3c:3c
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
^gotta have your edgy :derp

Appreciate the golem system being more in-depth than just sticking something in clay and bam! You got magic :verily. Had to read the explanation pages a few times. Also the series is funnier than I thought. From just you guys' comments I've seen in general BC had a super fast pace in the beginning so it appears the opposite is what GH is going for. :verily
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Honestly, I think the first few chapters of Cross Account kind of stacked the odds against itself by making one girl seem too harsh and the other too perfect. The harsh girl wasn't "mean" to him for that long chapter-wise, but many readers already disliked her based on the first few chapters (although I like her character). I personally find the idol girl to be a bit boring of a character since she seems too perfect. The MC is basically designed so readers will have the ability to insert themselves into a world where a beautiful celebrity secretly thinks and acts just like them, which has apparently not caught on with WSJ readers.

Yuuna fills the ecchi harem romcom slot, and BokuBen is the lighthearted harem romcom representative. Cross Account is an odd love triangle due to which characters actually know the others exist or are talking with them, but it apparently hasn't been getting much in terms of TOC votes. Interestingly, every raw site I've seen the series on has a substantially larger amount of views than the other Jump series. However, since most are actively being translated to the current chapter, there are only a couple of series (Spring Weapon & Shudan off the top of my head) that this can make a fair comparison to.

To answer your question directly, I'd be pretty surprised if Cross Account isn't the first thing to go when more space is needed for a new serialization. Overall, I think that it's alright, but it's not really clicking with what WSJ readers want to see apparently. Thematically, it may have fit better with Jump+ given the prominence of SNS and stuff like that in the series. The art is really great though, I will definitely give it that.
What would get canceled before it though, Spring Weapon?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Great, Golem Hearts does the one thing i hoped it wouldn't with
introducing a black haired, edgy rival who is better in everything than Noah.
Oh boy...
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Though I guess my biggest issue so far is that the characters we're focusing on don't really behave in a way that make them relatable or feel "human".
The characters, for now, were just tools to melodrama.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think Shoodan, Gintama, Cross Account and maybe Spring Weapon are the candidates to end next

And no one is saying that he's the same as Sasuke like everyone did with Yuno? :3c:3c:3c
because no one read Golem Hearts and the people that read it don't care enough to comment on it, this manga lost its hype so fast

the funny thing is my first thought was "oh, is that an edgy Yuno?" then I thought "that's just Sasuke" :XD

what's with the biblical names? :confused:
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I think Shoodan, Gintama, Cross Account and maybe Spring Weapon are the candidates to end next
Well, since the Gintama anime is getting into the final anime arc starting in Winter 2018, it does seem like Gintama doesn't have much left. Spring Weapon is an anomaly at this point or something, it really seems like it should end already. I did see speculation that Shoodan might move to a different place, but no one ever clarified where they got that idea from and Cross Account really doesn't seem to have those many chances of survival either.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is golem hearts something people genuinely like or is it a conditional -only like it cause theres nothing better available- like?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is golem hearts something people genuinely like or is it a conditional -only like it cause theres nothing better available- like?
In my opinion, it's the kind of a series that's just there in WSJ not really a bad series but not really a good series either. I'd read it if its there but I wouldn't be rushing to read it each week if it where to end I wouldn't really miss it, though perceptions can change the longer a series runs.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
Is golem hearts something people genuinely like or is it a conditional -only like it cause theres nothing better available- like?
I'm liking the whole mecha/magic vibe of the world so I'm giving it the time to find its groove. But I'm a little disappointed about the vague genre its aiming for.

what's with the biblical names? :confused:
Golems are a Jewish folktale. It'd be bizarre to use Japanese names for this premise.

I'm hoping the series leans more into the religious references.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Golem Hearts so far mostly seems to be gathering the kind of fans who really want it to be good, essentially liking it because it has potential and might become really good later rather than particularly enjoying the series itself so far.

Which I suppose is a improvement on Red Sprite/Demon's Plan/etc where the fans read them purely as something to replace Bleach as one of the 2-3 weekly manga they read but not by much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top