Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
MHA - Sales in 2015: (6 volumes)
Rank 27 || 2,190,845
Promised Neverland - Sales in 2017: (6 volumes)
Rank 12 || 2,093,790
Wow, look at the massive drop in overall print sale. MHA sold 100,000 more prints in 2014 than TPN did in 2017, but ranked more than 10 places lower.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I always think Kimetsu would probably suit Sunrise, since it reminds me a lot of Inuyasha and Keikkaishi which are produced by Sunrise, even though the studio is more famous for their original series.
I'd take Sunrise happily any day over Toei and Pierrot, since I do trust them as a studio.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
What's the Neverland vids on Jump's YouTube all about. They uploaded like 4 vids this morning
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Having said that, I don't think that just because a studio has produced many successful anime of a genre, they would always be the best choice when it comes to that genre. Take Production I.G and sports anime. While Kuroko and Haikyuu are extremely successful with high production value, Welcome to the Ballroom, its next attempt at sports anime, flops ridiculously. This happens despite the fact that they brought in almost the exact same team that did Haikyuu, with animators specialised in dance animation and many notable names from AoT, Your Name, and BNHA. They even have Hayashi Yuuki (Haikyuu and BNHA) writing the music for it and Kikuta Hiromi as sound director, who has directed the sound for some of the best Haikyuu episodes. Yet its production value is disappointing (especially the sound department, you can see my main grievance with this anime), the manga sale gets negligible boost.
I was so disappointed with the Ballroom anime. I was super hyped because Haikyuu and Kuroko were great. I was looking forward to some outstanding dance sakuga. Instead, all we got were a bunch of animated stills of faces. Dropped it at around 7 or 8.

Wow, what a waste. They should've got all that talent to work on HZ, it would've yielded them a better result. Production IG better pickup HZ, it's ripe and so much content to work with that if the anime is done right then we'll see a lot of backlog sales.
You’re gonna get a Toei anime whether you like it or not.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was so disappointed with the Ballroom anime. I was super hyped because Haikyuu and Kuroko were great. I was looking forward to some outstanding dance sakuga. Instead, all we got were a bunch of animated stills of faces. Dropped it at around 7 or 8.
The 2nd half has been so good
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
What's the Neverland vids on Jump's YouTube all about. They uploaded like 4 vids this morning
I was wondering the same thing.

You’re gonna get a Toei anime whether you like it or not.
At this point I'd like an adaptation in general to happen. I don't want HZ to end up like Mr. Fullswing and Rising Impact, even if those are from a long time ago.

As for the Ballroom anime, I got sidetracked with other things and put it on hold on episode 5, I love the manga and I didn't think the anime was bad from what I've seen.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think you're discounting the boost winning the manga taicho award would give. Golden Kamuy got a HUGE boost initially from winning it.

Also, as an aside, does Neverland still qualify for the next manga taicho award?
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
We should switch to a new thread for 2018.Now that issue 1 is out.This one is becoming too long.
I just looked at the first page of this thread, and the very first discussion was about the imminent cancellation/lack of fit for Spring Weapon. Glad to see some things haven't changed throughout the year lol
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,330
Age
33
Country
Scotland
And on that note, if Cross Account gets cancelled first, won't that mean Spring Weapon will have outlasted a series that both ranks and sells better than it?
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
And on that note, if Cross Account gets cancelled first, won't that mean Spring Weapon will have outlasted a series that both ranks and sells better than it?
Spring Weapon ranked above Cross Account, and I believe Shudan as well, for the average TOC placement. There's a post somewhere in this thread that had the average placement for every series this year, including the ones that were already cancelled, and the gap between Spring Weapon and the cancelled realm (which includes Shudan and Cross Account) was surprisingly significant. The only ones above it to get axed were that Sesuji dance one (but it ended pretty early in the year) and Samon (which was a bit above Spring Weapon in the averages)
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
SW#1 did it before with Amalgam, Dancing midgets, Samon, Hungry Marie, so if this happens it's nothing new

this manga clearly get preferential treatment
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,330
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Spring Weapon done okay earlier but Cross Account is consistently above it now, it hasn't had a high rank in a good few weeks. I think it's sold worse than every other cancelled series since it started but now it's not even getting the occasional high ranks to justify continuing to outlast them.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Isn't Spring Weapon a low page-count gag manga? Why do y'all get so upset that it's still around? It won't leave enough space for anything other than another gag manga y'all will complain about...
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Isn't Spring Weapon a low page-count gag manga? Why do y'all get so upset that it's still around? It won't leave enough space for anything other than another gag manga y'all will complain about...
I don't think anybody hates SW#1
Based on the 1st 3 chapters I found it decent.
But all of us are just wondering why it's still around. The sales are terrible and the rankings are inconsistent.
Love it or hate it, these things usually lead to cancellation
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'm so intrigued about Spring weapon that I desperately want to read it, I need to know what's the deal.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,330
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's not a short gag series like Isobe or Lycopene, the chapters are normal length (well, I think they tend to be 15-16 rather than 18-19 but that's true for MHA a lot these days too).

The series itself is decent enough but it's just plain odd how it keeps despite selling worse than them (and having pretty much zero sales growth too), and by the looks of it will probably last past next round despite now seeming to be settling as perma-bottom 3. Especially considering it was until ch 14 or 15 where it got a non dead bottom ranking, past the point a lot of stuff gets cancelled at (that also go on to sell better than Spring Weapon). There's really no reason for it to still be around, it's clearly not popular and has no growth despite all the promotion.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Also, as an aside, does Neverland still qualify for the next manga taicho award?
If it keeps up the performance and has less than 8 volumes by next nomination round (which is like next month), then yes.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
It's not a short gag series like Isobe or Lycopene, the chapters are normal length (well, I think they tend to be 15-16 rather than 18-19 but that's true for MHA a lot these days too).

The series itself is decent enough but it's just plain odd how it keeps despite selling worse than them (and having pretty much zero sales growth too), and by the looks of it will probably last past next round despite now seeming to be settling as perma-bottom 3. Especially considering it was until ch 14 or 15 where it got a non dead bottom ranking, past the point a lot of stuff gets cancelled at (that also go on to sell better than Spring Weapon). There's really no reason for it to still be around, it's clearly not popular and has no growth despite all the promotion.
Shueisha are playing backwards 3 dimensional chess, they clearly see something we don't.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top