Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I'd love for Kimetsu to get an anime, but I still find it hard to believe that it will get one anytime soon for one main reason: the art style
The art style is very unique. The character designs for one are different from most modern manga, and the line work looks both messy and crisp at the same time. It's difficult to explain, but those who read it know what I'm talking about. I would the unique art style is a charm point of the manga, and I think it will be difficult to translate to animation easily without making changes to it. Really, the only studio I could see doing it justice would be Bones considering how well they were able to adapt Mob Psycho 100's art style to animation without changing the style at all (except for Tsubomi, but I believe that had a reason for it). The problem is that Bones is probably going to be focusing their attention mainly on Hero Academia, so Kimetsu might not get the commitment that I feel is deserved.

Also, a minor reason is that I still believe that Kimetsu is a niche manga. It definitely has room to grow, but I can't see it growing past 300k per volume. Maybe I'm just pessimistic about it.

Tanjiro looks like he is pulling his sun blade from Emma's ear :smile-big
That's not the only weird thing about that image. Naruto is spelled as "Narto", and Tanjirou's sword is missing the black flame texture (look at cody's avatar).
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,073
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think the artstyle will be a massive turn off, I cant be the only one who cant embrace things that arent in the modern artstyle. I guess they could just make the art and characters look different than the manga, considering those LNs with anime(s) and manga(s) that have all different looks (the Log Horizon comes to mind).

Even Kurobas, it only got successful because it change how the characters look (compare the v1 manga cover to how the anime looks)
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Prediction:

Kimetsu no Yaiba will get an anime in 2018

The Promised Neverland will get an announcement for an anime to air in 2019
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I'd love for Kimetsu to get an anime, but I still find it hard to believe that it will get one anytime soon for one main reason: the art style
The art style is very unique. The character designs for one are different from most modern manga, and the line work looks both messy and crisp at the same time. It's difficult to explain, but those who read it know what I'm talking about. I would the unique art style is a charm point of the manga, and I think it will be difficult to translate to animation easily without making changes to it. Really, the only studio I could see doing it justice would be Bones considering how well they were able to adapt Mob Psycho 100's art style to animation without changing the style at all (except for Tsubomi, but I believe that had a reason for it). The problem is that Bones is probably going to be focusing their attention mainly on Hero Academia, so Kimetsu might not get the commitment that I feel is deserved.

Also, a minor reason is that I still believe that Kimetsu is a niche manga. It definitely has room to grow, but I can't see it growing past 300k per volume. Maybe I'm just pessimistic about it.
Uh, that's what character designers are for. To adapt the mangaka's drawings to a style suited for TV. I don't see how it would be a problem. KnY designs are pretty standard.

About the niche thing, that's what anime are for. To expose series.
And theme wise it's far from niche. Feudal/demon stories have been done since the dawn of the manga industry.
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
:imslow What country does Captain Tsubasa take place now? Last spin off i read the 'protagonist' was in Milan. :hiStill going strong, such a classic series.
They are in Madrid for the Madrid Olympics.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'd love for Kimetsu to get an anime, but I still find it hard to believe that it will get one anytime soon for one main reason: the art style
The art style is very unique. The character designs for one are different from most modern manga, and the line work looks both messy and crisp at the same time. It's difficult to explain, but those who read it know what I'm talking about. I would the unique art style is a charm point of the manga, and I think it will be difficult to translate to animation easily without making changes to it. Really, the only studio I could see doing it justice would be Bones considering how well they were able to adapt Mob Psycho 100's art style to animation without changing the style at all (except for Tsubomi, but I believe that had a reason for it). The problem is that Bones is probably going to be focusing their attention mainly on Hero Academia, so Kimetsu might not get the commitment that I feel is deserved.

Also, a minor reason is that I still believe that Kimetsu is a niche manga. It definitely has room to grow, but I can't see it growing past 300k per volume. Maybe I'm just pessimistic about it.


That's not the only weird thing about that image. Naruto is spelled as "Narto", and Tanjirou's sword is missing the black flame texture (look at cody's avatar).
I love this post. I agree, the art style will be tough to adapt into animation properly. I really hope they respect the style and don't shit on it, it's one of the things I want the most to see adapted properly in the anime, because the art is a key element that makes KnY what it is. If they give the anime to Pierrot or Toei I know for sure that they won't respect the manga's art, they struggle with regular looking shows and shit on them. I agree that BONES would be optimal since I really trust them because of their output and because they are incredibly versatile, they would 100% be able to pull off KnY properly in animation and make it look easy, they are masters at doing all kinds of unique art styles. Kimetsu is sort of niche, but a niche series that is growing a lot and has hidden monstrous growth potential hidden inside possibly, I think even Shueisha were surprised it took off so much and I'm sure they're fully committed to the series now more than ever, since they are always desperately looking for new battle shounen manga and KnY was unexpectedly the one that caught people's attention and started to rise, just look at all the dead wanna be action battle shounen manga from 2014 and onward, KnY is one of the few survivors in the harsh battle to become a battle shounen that sticks in this magazine, in 3-4 years, only 3 battle shounen manga managed to make it and get over the biggest hurdle (Bnha(2014), BC(2015) and KnY(2016)). It's not like Bones will only do Bnha from now on, they seem to be becoming one of the hottest go to studios for action battle shounen manga, they did do Mob, Bungo Stray Dogs and another season of Kekkai Sensen even after BNHA s1. It is possible they are free enough to do something like KnY in 2019, but it will all come down to luck and how free the studio is and who Shueisha go for. Bones will get Kimetsu if the stars align basically, I'm just hoping someone decent gets the adaptation.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Uh, that's what character designers are for. To adapt the mangaka's drawings to a style suited for TV. I don't see how it would be a problem. KnY designs are pretty standard. (I'm praying BONES are working on a Fire Force anime this year)

About the niche thing, that's what anime are for. To expose series.
And theme wise it's far from niche. Feudal/demon stories have been done since the dawn of the manga industry.
He wasn't referring to the designs only, but the art style in general.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Prediction:

Kimetsu no Yaiba will get an anime in 2018

The Promised Neverland will get an announcement for an anime to air in 2019
When would KnY air? Anime adaptations need to be decided quite a bit in advance and I feel like Shueisha are only now really fully committed to the series since it's had such a big year.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Nurarihyon manga art vs anime is probably a good estimate of how Kinmetsu anime would look when adapted.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Nice.


I fail to see how. More unique and wacky styles have been adapted properly.
True, but they aren't always respected. If they were serious about the adaptation, it would go the Mob Psycho route to an extent, really going all out on capturing the manga's unique style. For Mob, they totally could've just used a similar style to Murata's OPM look, but they wanted to break the mold and do something special.
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
I'd love for Kimetsu to get an anime, but I still find it hard to believe that it will get one anytime soon for one main reason: the art style
The art style is very unique. The character designs for one are different from most modern manga, and the line work looks both messy and crisp at the same time. It's difficult to explain, but those who read it know what I'm talking about. I would the unique art style is a charm point of the manga, and I think it will be difficult to translate to animation easily without making changes to it. Really, the only studio I could see doing it justice would be Bones considering how well they were able to adapt Mob Psycho 100's art style to animation without changing the style at all (except for Tsubomi, but I believe that had a reason for it). The problem is that Bones is probably going to be focusing their attention mainly on Hero Academia, so Kimetsu might not get the commitment that I feel is deserved.

Also, a minor reason is that I still believe that Kimetsu is a niche manga. It definitely has room to grow, but I can't see it growing past 300k per volume. Maybe I'm just pessimistic about it.


That's not the only weird thing about that image. Naruto is spelled as "Narto", and Tanjirou's sword is missing the black flame texture (look at cody's avatar).
What I like the most about the art style of Kimetsu is actually the colour palette. It has a very Princess Mononoke/Spirited Away look to it. I just sincerely wish that whoever produces Kimetsu anime keeps its colour palette.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
What I like the most about the art style of Kimetsu is actually the colour palette. It has a very Princess Mononoke/Spirited Away look to it. I just sincerely wish that whoever produces Kimetsu anime keeps its colour palette.
I also agree with this, but I just consider it a part of what makes the art style so unique overall so I didn't really emphasize on it, it will be a very crucial aspect. Another specialty of Bones is doing the color palette's beautifully just in general. This also applies to Neverland since it has a striking color palette, it needs to be respected.

I feel like only Bones and Wit really manage to really do the whole color palette thing really well, but Wit aren't always on point.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I fail to see how. More unique and wacky styles have been adapted properly.
Examples? I don't doubt you, I just want to know.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,073
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Now that BLack Clover is a confirmed success, it can finally set its sights on surpassing Toriko and BLeach next.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Does anyone have Souma's numbers for comparison? While general reception of the anime was, as far as I know, not bad. It didn't kick up as much of a backdraft as the more obviously flawed Black Clover anime. Stilted animation, annoying voice acting, and pacing and story problems seeming to be the biggest issues.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I asked this previously, but I'll ask again.

What are the TV ratings for Black Clover's anime?
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
Examples? I don't doubt you, I just want to know.
Not the one you asked, but I'd like to chime in with a few examples of my own that I think would fit.

- You have mentioned the most obvious one, Mob Pyscho.
- Made in Abyss by Kinema Citrus. Cutesy art style with a healthy dose of body horror. The anime is stunning and easily the best anime of the year for me.
- Doukyuusei by A-1 Pictures. BL movie so probably not something that you guys might be into, but the anime captures the unique, flowing art style of the manga really well. It has this watercolour, hand-drawn look to it, which suits my aesthetics.
- Ping Pong by some studio I can't remember. Don't think this needs any introduction.
- Afro Samurai, again by some studio I can't remember. Seinen with ridiculously striking art style.
- Haikyuu, Production I.G. It might not be as unique as other examples and as Kimetsu, but it is rather different.
- Jo Jo. Can't really say much about this one, since I haven't read its manga nor watched the anime. But from what I have seen, the art style is quite interesting as well.

Although none of these examples are pure battle shounens with decent length. Afro Samurai is also about a decade old.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I want Yaiba to get it's anime in early 2019. It'll have enough volumes to earn a lot of backlog sales too. :super
Examples? I don't doubt you, I just want to know.
JoJo for sure. If you seen the recent OVA, DP got the part 7/8 style look going for that. Part 4 had it's distinct style to it and obviously part 1-3 did as well
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
True, but they aren't always respected. If they were serious about the adaptation, it would go the Mob Psycho route to an extent, really going all out on capturing the manga's unique style. For Mob, they totally could've just used a similar style to Murata's OPM look, but they wanted to break the mold and do something special.
Why would they use Murata's OPM look in the first place, he doesn't do Mob, it's just ONE. You mean a modern look? Anyway I agree with you but Mob's anime didn't have that much of a impact on it's sales even though it was adapted well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top