Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Does anyone have Souma's numbers for comparison? While general reception of the anime was, as far as I know, not bad. It didn't kick up as much of a backdraft as the more obviously flawed Black Clover anime. Stilted animation, annoying voice acting, and pacing and story problems seeming to be the biggest issues.
I think most volumes go from 250k to 450k~500k and some earlier volumes peaked 550k during and after anime.
Some data, good estimation~

In 2014 Soma sale 2.6 million (November 18, 2013 - November 16, 2014) without any individual volumes make it to top 100 (466,380 is the cut off number)

Next Year with the anime it jumped to 4,321,830 and lots of volumes (11,12,13,14) make it to 550k so it is good to assume the older volumes backlog increase to at least that much. First half of 2015 (November 17, 2014 - May 17, 2015) couple volumes were spotted at 400k range.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Kimetsu No Yaiba by Bones please?

And after getting descriptions I think I'm looking forward to Act Age more than Bozebeats
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Not the one you asked, but I'd like to chime in with a few examples of my own that I think would fit.

- You have mentioned the most obvious one, Mob Pyscho.
- Made in Abyss by Kinema Citrus. Cutesy art style with a healthy dose of body horror. The anime is stunning and easily the best anime of the year for me.
- Doukyuusei by A-1 Pictures. BL movie so probably not something that you guys might be into, but the anime captures the unique, flowing art style of the manga really well. It has this watercolour, hand-drawn look to it, which suits my aesthetics.
- Ping Pong by some studio I can't remember. Don't think this needs any introduction.
- Afro Samurai, again by some studio I can't remember. Seinen with ridiculously striking art style.
- Haikyuu, Production I.G. It might not be as unique as other examples and as Kimetsu, but it is rather different.
- Jo Jo. Can't really say much about this one, since I haven't read its manga nor watched the anime. But from what I have seen, the art style is quite interesting as well.

Although none of these examples are pure battle shounens with decent length. Afro Samurai is also about a decade old.
I'll give you JoJo, Afro Samurai and Ping Pong, but the rest I don't agree with. Made in Abyss has a simple cute art style that's easy to translate to motion (look at Girl's Last Tour). Doukyuusei is also a relatively simple art style with realistic proportions. Haikyuu doesn't even have the same art style. Thanks for the examples though, I'm a little more hopeful about it now.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Examples? I don't doubt you, I just want to know.
Ping Pong.
Early Shingeki artsyle was pretty bad and the studio managed to adapt them properly; suited for TV but the characters still feel themselves.

Kimetsu isn't as extreme as them. Something like this would work:
https://i.imgur.com/ubtGayh.jpg
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
By the way, isn't Japan trying really hard to make Sumo relevant again since it's their National sport and because of the recent negative attention surrounding matchfixing? I don't think it's impossible for NHK to help fund at least a two cour season for HZ or for the Sumo organization association(if it exists) to directly help fund an anime to raise interest in the sport amongst young people, HZ is probably the best chance they'll ever have to make sumo look super cool.
Yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me if the series is being heavily sponsored by the Sumo Association. HZ is one of the only Sumo manga in history that has a wide appeal to both young and old audiences and has the potential to really spark new interest in the sport. It certainly has done so for me at least. These later chapters in part 2 especially almost seem like they’re advertising sumo, and they’re doing a bloody good job of it. I’ve already seen personally that it’s advertised at sumo tournaments, and it’s had crossovers, so they must be involved somehow.

From what I’ve found, there are only like 2 full length Sumo anime ever created (Matsutaro and Aah Harimada), with Matsutaro hardly even focusing on the sumo aspect, and Aah Harimada not being the kind of thing they’d want as promotion for the sport. Not to mention they have little appeal to the masses, and Aah Harimada, the only proper sumo anime, is quite old now.

HZ is probably one of the associations only chances to promote sumo in the form of anime/manga ever, so it really would feel like a waste if they did nothing. Considering the series is still going despite everything, and the direction it’s been taking, I just can’t imagine any other possibility. Garnering new interest into the sport is surely the number one objective for the association atm due to the general stigma sumo has in the country, and HZ even references that fact on multiple occasions. HZ holds such massive potential for the sport, I feel they have to at least try to make an anime out of it, even if it flops hard.


On the topic of Kimetsu anime, I really don’t think the character designs are going to be a problematic as people think. Rough manga art is translated to an anime form while still respecting the original way more often than you’d think, and it’s kind of their job...
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Yeah, it's been said before, but sparking new interest in sumo is probably the main reason why it would even get an anime in the first place.

Also, I realize now that I'm probably being too pessimistic about the potential Kimetsu anime situation. Thanks for the reassurance lol
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Didn't see this before, next issue (the Merry ChriSMAASH! issue) will have a Christmas poster for Dr. Stone.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Next issue as in this coming issue or the one after the break?
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Didn't see this before, next issue (the Merry ChriSMAASH! issue) will have a Christmas poster for Dr. Stone.
Oh cool i thought it was just a color page
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Next issue as in this coming issue or the one after the break?
I'm going to assume the next one, but I could be wrong.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Next issue as in this coming issue or the one after the break?
This coming one (2/3), leaking this week.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
:blink
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
What the hell? Why is it in English? Also, that's just straight up lying, there's no way WNL is the most popular romcom. This is beyond normal levels of "OPENING COLOR PAGES FOR EXPLOOOOOOSIVE POPULARITY" exaggerated promotion, this is next level exaggerated promotion.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Maybe they mean in Jump specifically?
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
This coming one (2/3), leaking this week.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
:blink
Isn't the Japanese translation also "This is the best romcom at the moment"? Lol
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I asked this previously, but I'll ask again.

What are the TV ratings for Black Clover's anime?
No one on the Japanese side has actually gone to look them up specifically but from the Precure thread on 5ch, the kids and Teen demographic viewership has been posted and its usually anywhere from 0.3% to 1.6%. Keep in mind this isn't the average household rating we see every week, only a category used to find that number. More teens watch it compared to Pripara though the kids rating drops in turn. Even then, that's not a particularly high number but only the producers and TV network know what a good number is. To begin with, you have to be like Youkai Watch to even get in the top 10 when airing on a weekday on TV Tokyo. Pokemon is Pokemon and Naruto, which aired after Pokemon used to show up but didn't rank much towards the end. Boruto seems to be doing numbers similar to BC.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
:hipAkuma no Memumemu-chan Anime Short, 2018 looks pretty HYPE now.
I'm actually really hyped for this. Now I'll have this and Saiki as shorts that I can watch before work in the mornings.
Yuuna says hi.
I'm glad that We Never Learn and Yuuna seem like they can peacefully co-exist in Jump without one cannibalizing the popularity of the other. Yuuna is the spicier ecchi romcom harem, while WNL is a more vanilla but still kind of ecchi romcom harem. Both series have stellar casts too. Both of these ate Cross Account alive though lol
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
This coming one (2/3), leaking this week.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
:blink
I've been getting into newer romcoms from Sunday and Weekly Shounen Mag and I beg to differ, there's some solid new romcoms coming out right now. It isn't the most popular even out of Jump since Yuuna does better for now if they're just strictly referring to popularity.

Anyway, pretty funny how they went with English.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Speaking of WNL and Yuuna, the chapter is up on Jaimini with the collab bonus chapter (a couple of pages), but no collab color page yet.

Edit: nevermind, it was on the /a/ thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top