Seinen - Grashros by Muneyuki Kaneshiro and Akeji Fujimura | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Grashros by Muneyuki Kaneshiro and Akeji Fujimura

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Grashros

From the author of Jagaaaaaan!, Muneyuki Kaneshiro, with spectacular art from Akeji Fujimura.

“This is a story from long, long ago, which tells of beings who lived 30 000 years in the past.

This is the story of the Cro Magnon people.”

Chapter 1 on Mangastream

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is a great collaboration. Can't wait to see what these two have in store for us. The first chapter was good but more often than not I found myself being in awe of the artwork :nod

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
This is a great collaboration. Can't wait to see what these two have in store for us. The first chapter was good but more often than not I found myself being in awe of the artwork :nod
Yeah, the artwork is phenomenal. So detailed yet so clean. Really, really liked the look of the characters, from their distinct facial expressions to the simple design. I always say it’s a good artist which can make characters stand out without a lot of weird design details, hairstyles, clothing etc, but just how they look “as humans”.

I’m curious as to why the old man wanted the baby dead so badly. When it looked like Dadaa (?) had killed that big rhino thing, he looked seriously displeased, then super smug when it was only the lil artist dude. Maybe he didn’t want “outsiders” (which Dadaa seemed to be) to populate the tribe, thus coming up with those prophecies.

Curious to see where this goes. Looks like it’ll be centered around Akuu, the kid, but I hope the characters from this chapter still play a fairly big part since I like them already.

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The potential that he simply didn't want outsiders populating the tribe makes sense. Perhaps Dadaa is a child of some rival or powerful nation? The appearance of his old family may serve as an antagonistic force. Hell, this could be the Steepes and Dadaa's family are high up in Dynastic nobility? We still don't know where they are yet.

Last edited:

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Great first chapter, the artwork really is fantastic!

I'm hoping we get to see more of Dadaa's past and how he integrated into the clan because it seems like that's how he and Lulu bonded. The entire Blood-moon prophecy was interesting too, since while it could just have been the old guy making things up to spite Dadaa, I could see it becoming more relevant when Akuu grows up.

The fact that the story has been written by the author of Jagaan is pretty cool too, hopefully we'll get to see some messed up animals that are somewhat similar in design to Fractured Humans.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
What is the plot?

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
What is the plot?
It’s kind of hard so far to say what the main plot for the series will be, since the first chapter really seems to serve as a prologue. I’ve yet to find an official synopsis as well..

The first chapter is about a tribe of Cro Magnon people, and their most prominent fighter/Hunter, Dadaa, who is about to have a child. When a village elder announces a prophecy which says a child born under a blood moon (that night, in other words) will bring ruin upon the tribe, Dadaa has to defy the prophecy and destiny to save his child from being killed upon birth.

But like I said, this seems to serve as a sort of prologue, and you’ll understand why if you read the chapter. :nod

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Glad you made this thread...was literally about to do it myself so I could talk to people about this lol

Maybe I'm naive, but I think maybe the Tribe Elder legitimately believes in that prophecy? I'm sure he isn't happy about being made a fool (especially if he thinks the Tribe is going against tradition), but I mean, the baby was born during a blood moon like the prophecy he quoted said to watch out for. And I would imagine it's the Elder's job to watch out for those kind of things.

Also, what country do you guys think this story is taking place in? Japan? Seems like a solid guess, but did Japan have such large animals in prehistoric times? Does anyone just happen to know the current names for the animals shown? That would probably help narrow that shit down if the authors are sticking with relative scientific accuracy.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Second chapter is out: http://readms.net/r/grashros/02/4748/1

I really liked this weeks chapter, sad to see how Akuu and his family are treated though, really hoping the old chief ends up facing justice. Its pretty clear that at the end of the last chapter he did just want to kill Akuu out of spite. The cave is a really interesting spot, it could serve as a place to do some world building later, perhaps shining some light on previous types of creatures the clan has hunted down.

Xguard

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I guess there might be some event that cause Akuu to fight soon.

Maybe there's a powerful wild attack the village and Boronjai can't handle it. Akuu may risk himself to interupt and Dadaa has to use his Final strength to save him. Then Akuu has been recognized and have to begin to travel to worldwide. Then we can finally see the main storyline of this manga lol.

Above are all my imagine. I hope the story will be more excite than my imagination cuz this artwork is really good.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Maybe the setting is Africa or some south-east Asian country?

Obviously it is fictional but real life influence maybe there.

Xguard

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Maybe the setting is Africa or some south-east Asian country?

Obviously it is fictional but real life influence maybe there.
But in case of the drawing(from Moog), it can be considered as hieroglyph which is not in Africa,maybe Egypt. And maybe Dadaa or Akuu will become like Pharaoh. Or Dadaa may become a legend like Ra and Akuu becomes Osiris or something like that.
Then thousands years passed and Pegasus will unleash them and become cards for Atem and Kaiba to use lol.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
But in case of the drawing(from Moog), it can be considered as hieroglyph which is not in Africa,maybe Egypt. And maybe Dadaa or Akuu will become like Pharaoh. Or Dadaa may become a legend like Ra and Akuu becomes Osiris or something like that.
Then thousands years passed and Pegasus will unleash them and become cards for Atem and Kaiba to use lol.
Hieroglyph originated in Egypt.

Shasha23

Banned
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Since when was Egypt not an African country?

Xguard

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Since when was Egypt not an African country?
Lol. I've just imagined that about Hieroglyph and it's suit to be Egypt. And if it's that case, at the end of story, he may create the country and become a king which I think the King in this story should be Pharaoh.
But yeah, this story took place around 30000 years ago so it cannot be that.

Xguard

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Wow. New chapter comes so fast.

I guess
Akuu will run away(he cant even fight boar, how can he do with mammos).

The thing is with the panic lookinf of Boronjai, he may not be able to defeat mammos as well. Akuu may be blamed with Boronjai's dead(i guess). Or even worse if mammos chase after him, it may invade the village then Dadaa has to sacrifice himself TvT.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Wow. New chapter comes so fast.
I think it's because the actual volume is already out so Mangastream aren't translating it weekly, just whenever they get it done.

That Mammoth though...have they not encountered one before? How did they not see it sitting there :XD

Xguard

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I think it's because the actual volume is already out so Mangastream aren't translating it weekly, just whenever they get it done.

That Mammoth though...have they not encountered one before? How did they not see it sitting there :XD
Lolll
How can they misunderstood its fur as a grass.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Damn, that was brutal, felt like I was reading a chapter of AoT...

Really liking Akuu as a character, he isn't overly naive or unbelievably positive but he has a nice upbeat attitude (hope this chapter's events don't change that), plus he actually got wrecked pretty hard by that boar rather than escaping by himself. I'm pretty interested in how the clan meeting will go ahead and whether Boronjai will mention Akuu's presence since that could be a double-edged action: on one hand it could convince some of the clan that Akuu is a brave member, undeserving of their scorn, but on the other hand it could easily just result in Oba saying that it was Akuu's presence that attracted the Grash. I'm guessing the latter is the more likely reaction since Oba seems to really despise Akuu. Either way, I think Boronjai might end up helping Akuu learn how to hunt, since he'll probably respect him for trying to help against such a powerful beast.

Also that panel of Dadaa carrying Lulu was really cute. And that final line from Dadaa was pretty badass.
In the follow up chapter, Oba said his late father had only seen it once before.
As for how they didn't see it, I'm guessing that it must have fur that looks like grass, that or the guy thought the brown fur was just dead grass. The area seems to be pretty rocky in places so dead grass wouldn't be too surprising.