Hangout Akatsuki no Yona Hangout Thread

How do you prefer the Spoiler/Chapter thread set-up?

  • Different threads for each spoiler/chapter (current set up)

    Votes: 4 57.1%
  • 2 constant threads (1 for spoiler, 1 for chapter) to allow for continued discussion

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other (suggest in thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    7

@Aylinn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
204
Reaction score
268
Country
Poland
Revelations:

1) Soo-Won is not who she thought he was
2) Il was a bad King
3) Kouka is in a mess
4) She is Hiryu's reincarnation

She has had several variables thrown at her already. We have already seen her react. It would be little boring if only she was being fed revelations.
Well, yes, but she is the main character. It is natural that revelations strike the main character and her/his friends the most.

As for Su-won I am not sure he is the type of character that needs revelations, it would be have to be explained well and plausibly why he didn’t know something about his father, as much a character that maybe needs to finally deal with what happened in the past in a way that would leave him a peace of mind. I think that he may end up being like Vincent from Pandora Hearts, someone who knew everything all along and also kind of had a death wish.

What I want to say that there may be some revelations about Yu-hon for Yona, etc. and us, the readers, but it would not be a revelation to Su-won.
The only purpose to paint Il in a completely bad light, and not make Yu-Hon so bad after all, is to make Soo-Won seem completely right in his actions and be a "saviour" of sorts to Yona.
For me it is not so much as making Su-won right in killing someone, but leaving Su-won with a valid reason to do something that would not make him a supporter of Yona or making him be on her side. If this is taken away from him, the whole greyness of the matter basically disappears and Yona will be left facing only characters that are either evil or misinformed. A story that was initially showing something more complicated and grey would end up being a simpler good vs. bad and misinformed version.

This story is already having simplistic villains and antagonists, I don’t want Su-won to become one of them. I don’t want all of Yona opponents to be without a valid reason to oppose her. I already wish that Kye-Sook will not be another cartoonish villain and will add something more interesting to the story.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by that Su-won would become a ‘saviour’ of Yona. I think that it is entirely possible that Il was a terrible brother and uncle, but not the worst father, though not the best either since he was only spoiling Yona. It does not seem like Il was a threat to Yona.

This would be an incredibly convenient way for Yona to reconcile with him. And it would make Soo-Won look like a hero who kept all this to himself to avoid hurting his best friend's feelings.
Not necessarily. Vincent from Pandora Hearts, who was in a kind of similar position, was certainly not a hero.
Sorry but this is not what he looks like to me, especially since on that very first night he planned to Kill Yona and only softened his stance later, and kept softening his stance after that.
But we don’t know if Su-won planned to kill Yona. He never gave an order to kill her, only to seize her. It was Kye-Sook who wanted to kill her.
 

SamuelDean

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Messages
253
Reaction score
175
Country
Dragonstone
@Aylinn

Yes I agree, we should get some juicy revelations about Il, but only about Il would not be all that dramatic.
I think it would be really dramatic, at least for Yona. Yona considers her father a bad king, but a good person. Whereas Yu hon is considered to be a "bad guy". So adding more dark points to his account. What would that change? It doesn t really concern Yona, it just demonstrates that it was the gravest sin to kill King Il for such a person.

4) She is Hiryu's reincarnation
Interestingly I think that Soo Won thinks more about that topic than Yona. Yona didn t understand what it really means...ect...

She has had several variables thrown at her already. We have already seen her react. It would be little boring if only she was being fed revelations.

Soo-Won is someone, on the other hand, who is always shown as making right and rational decisions (until recent arc) so I think it would be more interesting if we can see him look at Yu-Hon in another light. Yu-Hon need not be a typical villain, it can just be shown that his methods were wrong. He could have been doing cruel things for the sake of Kouka, but it isn't really the right way.
But wasn t that already highlighted in the last arc? Yona s idea was right, and Soo Won(Yu hon s methods) were wrong.
I think that it would be interesting, if Soo Won was at least shown to doubt his father s actions a little more. To tell the truth, I wish for both characters, that they distance themselves from their fathers.

The only purpose to paint Il in a completely bad light, and not make Yu-Hon so bad after all, is to make Soo-Won seem completely right in his actions and be a "saviour" of sorts to Yona. This would be an incredibly convenient way for Yona to reconcile with him. And it would make Soo-Won look like a hero who kept all this to himself to avoid hurting his best friend's feelings. Sorry but this is not what he looks like to me, especially since on that very first night he planned to Kill Yona and only softened his stance later, and kept softening his stance after that. If Yona is the MC, not Soo-Won, it is important that author shows some influence of Yona on Soo-Won and not the other way around before the end of the manga. So yes also @SamuelDean, while his character has changed a little when it comes to Yona and Hak, it still isn't the in depth character growth I am looking out for.
  • Honestly Yu hon is already painted in a bad light, whereas King Il s character still seems to be too good to be true. There is also the following:
    • It was hinted several times, that Yona still doesn t know all about her father, since it was Soo Won (already conscious about a certain issue) that remembered King Il.
    • Which means that Yona is the one being unaware of a certain topic, but in the same instance it is Soo Won who is realizing that something he may have negated ,could be very well true.
So I think that while Yona is the one being oblivious, and has to know certain facts and also accept them as facts, Soo Won should face certain aspects, he maybe had denied before as important.


Also Soo-Won didn't know Yona would come to Il's room at that night...so why would he know he would lose Yona and Hak? It's only because she witnessed the murder that all this is happening. He probably planned to keep the fact that he murdered Il a secret from the two of them, and possibly marry Yona.
I think that Soo Won may have guessed that the two would sooner or later recognize, what he did. If Soo Won had really wished to get rid of Yona or Hak before, he could have just done so.
I think it is interesting to note, that Soo Won once mentioned, that he "could not marry Yona." Interesting. Why?

Well, yes, but she is the main character. It is natural that revelations strike the main character and her/his friends the most.

As for Su-won I am not sure he is the type of character that needs revelations, it would be have to be explained well and plausibly why he didn’t know something about his father, as much a character that maybe needs to finally deal with what happened in the past in a way that would leave him a peace of mind. I think that he may end up being like Vincent from Pandora Hearts, someone who knew everything all along and also kind of had a death wish.

What I want to say that there may be some revelations about Yu-hon for Yona, etc. and us, the readers, but it would not be a revelation to Su-won.
Well in fact it could work, if it is something that Soo Won already knows, but didn t wish to accept. His last reactions point to such rather interesting developments.

For me it is not so much as making Su-won right in killing someone, but leaving Su-won with a valid reason to do something that would not make him a supporter of Yona or making him be on her side. If this is taken away from him, the whole greyness of the matter basically disappears and Yona will be left facing only characters that are either evil or misinformed. A story that was initially showing something more complicated and grey would end up being a simpler good vs. bad and misinformed version.

This story is already having simplistic villains and antagonists, I don’t want Su-won to become one of them. I don’t want all of Yona opponents to be without a valid reason to oppose her. I already wish that Kye-Sook will not be another cartoonish villain and will add something more interesting to the story.
Oh. Yes. I agree. A MC who is just right for the sake of her being a special snowflake, would ruin the manga a little for me.Soo Won is up until now, the only person who opposes her and is not a straight up villain.
 
Last edited:

Trjpyo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
67
Country
Water Tribe
A strory that lacks a strong antagonistic charcater is boring. Up until now, the villains in AnY arent the well developed kind. I’m thinking whether kusanagi is having a hard time writing her villains bec she can only do ‘good’ characters with questionable motives. (Thats why i dont think yona has luck, its just the lack of a strong antagonistic character is the problem).
Soowon was interesting during the the first few years, i thought he would develop into a true antagonistic character, but he stayed neither good nor bad, he was lukewarm. Maybe hes gonna stay lukewarm forever? If he is, he’s never going to be a strong opposition to the MC, meaning yona will stay unopposed—- and thats boring.
Im praying we get a strong villain soon, bec since the romance is resolved, the other thing to keep the story interesting is a juicy conflict. But i cant get my hopes up... bec i have a feeling the future villains will just be like gobi or hiyou, very minor ones and the main thing to resolve is the relationship between the trio. Thats sounding a little boring to me.
As for king il and yuhon, i dont see how making either one of these already dead dudes a villain could possibly be exciting/relevant to the plot unless one of them IS SECRETLY ALIVE and pulling some strings in the background, that would be cool. Their only relevance to the strory is that we get the complete picture of the yuhon-il-soowon relationship dynamics.
 
Last edited:

@Aylinn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
204
Reaction score
268
Country
Poland
A strory that lacks a strong antagonistic charcater is boring. Up until now, the villains in AnY arent the well developed kind. I’m thinking whether kusanagi is having a hard time writing her villains bec she can only do ‘good’ characters with questionable motives. (Thats why i dont think yona has luck, its just the lack of a strong antagonistic character is the problem).
I don’t know what do you mean by a strong villain, but I think this was actually a good move not to make Su-won to be the villain. Typically, you would expect him to be an evil guy, so it is refreshing that he isn’t. Also, I think that Su-won would be prefect for Yona’s character development if it turns out that he had solid reasons to kill Il. I mean, if all the bad guys are just evil dudes or poor misinformed souls who wronged her for the wrong reasons, then where is the incentive to grow? Yona would not need to reconsider or question anything in her behaviour/thinking, etc., because after all she is in the right. The others are in the wrong. There would be no need for her to admit that she is rejecting things on shallow grounds like ‘I think so.’ If Yu-hon turns out to be an evil dude who didn’t got the throne because of beheading some enemies*, there will be no need for her to admit that she jumps to conclusions, which she did when she told Su-won that she now understands why Yu-hon was not chosen to be the King, which irl would very likely be bs. Why would she need to learn to think, hear and consider the situation from both sides before judging if her ways are working and she is right? There would be no incentive for growth.

If her attempts are always successful, then why should she feel the need to, for example, learn anything about politics and diplomacy? There is no need for her to spend time learning stuff like an ordinary mortal, when heavens can just shower luck on her, so it is enough that she pokes her nose into difficult situations and do whatever comes to her head.

Also, I think that the problem is that Yona alone and without her luck would have very little chance against a capable and knowledgeable opponent who has no scrupulous to kill her. She simply does not have the skills to face someone like that neither as a warrior nor on political grounds. Which is why I am afraid that Su-won will be dumbed down so that Yona can have the upper hand.

*As stupid and naïve as it sounds.
As for king il and yuhon, i dont see how making either one of these already dead dudes a villain could possibly be exciting/relevant to the plot unless one of them IS SECRETLY ALIVE and pulling some strings in the background, that would be cool. Their only relevance to the strory is that we get the complete picture of the yuhon-il-soowon relationship dynamics.
It is not really about turning Il into a villain, but about showing that he was not the greatest human being and showing that he was not as nice person as Yona thinks he was and denies that he could have done something horrible. So far Yona’s judgment has been shown to be based on shallow grounds like ‘I think so.’ Maybe if she had to face that her father did something horrible to his brother and nephew, she would realise it how shallow her thinking is and how it made her stay ignorant. After all if ‘I think so’ is enough and makes her right, then there is no need for her to learn to analyse and investigate the situation properly.
 
Last edited:

Trjpyo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
67
Country
Water Tribe
Actually, all conflict is an avenue for growth. Whether that conflict be started by a villain or an antagonist, when the mc is opposed, it causes growth. I agree on the parts where u said soowon caused this and that to yonas character growth bec he really was the first antagonist when he killed king il. What i dont agree with is what u said about the evil villains that causes no growth whatsoever to the mc, bec theyre just wrong making the mc right.

Even if soowon was written as an evil villain, when he kills il and sent yona away from her comfort zone, that already caused so much growth for the character. If soowon was portrayed a tyrant yona wouldve resolved to take him down and in the process strive to learn the ways of leadership, diplomacy, etc. to replace him or be even better than her father. As shes taking a more political slant, she will have to refine her decision making skills. Heck, if she did consider going political, she’d learn more about her countries past, yuhons and her grandfathers and correct her naive thinking. im sure there will be backstabbing and betrayal by close allies in this route. For someone who was sheltered as yona, going political will be an uphill battle and since this is unchartered waters for her, mistakes are bound to happen. The possibilities are endless if the route went this way.

-as for the king il discussion-
So its the same discussions from years back? Well okay, nothin new.
 
Last edited:

Mini_kinkin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
219
Reaction score
165
Country
Winterfell
As for Su-won I am not sure he is the type of character that needs revelations, it would be have to be explained well and plausibly why he didn’t know something about his father, as much a character that maybe needs to finally deal with what happened in the past in a way that would leave him a peace of mind. I think that he may end up being like Vincent from Pandora Hearts, someone who knew everything all along and also kind of had a death wish.
Actually you and me are thinking on the same lines, just a little communication problem :P

I also do not think Soo-Won is ignorant, but I feel he might get a change in perspective. As I said before, maybe he is rationalizing his father's actions (as was seen by Xing's beheadings), but maybe by the end of the manga, he may idolise his father a little less. It could be that he reveals everything to Yona about Yu-Hon and Il and Yona will give her perspective on the situation, which may change the way Soo-Won thinks about it. This in turn would help his character grow.

This story is already having simplistic villains and antagonists, I don’t want Su-won to become one of them. I don’t want all of Yona opponents to be without a valid reason to oppose her. I already wish that Kye-Sook will not be another cartoonish villain and will add something more interesting to the story.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by that Su-won would become a ‘saviour’ of Yona. I think that it is entirely possible that Il was a terrible brother and uncle, but not the worst father, though not the best either since he was only spoiling Yona. It does not seem like Il was a threat to Yona.
Sure, Soo-Won has opposed so far. But we are seeing the manga headed towards a conflict resolution so it doesn't mean his perspective can't change at least a little when it comes to his dad, by the end, or he could become at least a little more flexible about the supernatural world and magic as those are things that do exist in his kingdom, and he can't turn a blind eye to it.

"Saviour" of Yona situation would occur if the revelations went in a way that painted Il in such a bad light, that he was going to harm Yona or for example, killed Yona's mom, and Soo-Won killing Il means he indirectly saved Yona. So far it's been Soo-Won has killed Il for the good of the country, so readers are conflicted on weather we should forgive him for his betrayal to Yona. But if he did it for Yona's sake too, or even if part of it had to do with Yona's mom or that Il was a horrible person AND king, then it just makes Soo-Won a hero character who eliminated the highest level of evil, while his own dad was framed his whole life for being cruel. Then he would become a whiter character instead of grey and becomes less interesting too.

That's why I would like to see both Yona and Soo-Won change their perspective about their father's and realize that they both were wrong about them. This could also help them come together and work together in the end.

Maybe if she had to face that her father did something horrible to his brother and nephew, she would realise it how shallow her thinking is and how it made her stay ignorant. After all if ‘I think so’ is enough and makes her right, then there is no need for her to learn to analyse and investigate the situation properly.
Though she has already done this for the country...she isn't ignorant anymore.

So I think that while Yona is the one being oblivious, and has to know certain facts and also accept them as facts, Soo Won should face certain aspects, he maybe had denied before as important.
Yes this is basically what I am trying to say.
 

SamuelDean

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Messages
253
Reaction score
175
Country
Dragonstone
"Saviour" of Yona situation would occur if the revelations went in a way that painted Il in such a bad light, that he was going to harm Yona or for example, killed Yona's mom, and Soo-Won killing Il means he indirectly saved Yona. So far it's been Soo-Won has killed Il for the good of the country, so readers are conflicted on weather we should forgive him for his betrayal to Yona. But if he did it for Yona's sake too, or even if part of it had to do with Yona's mom or that Il was a horrible person AND king, then it just makes Soo-Won a hero character who eliminated the highest level of evil, while his own dad was framed his whole life for being cruel. Then he would become a whiter character instead of grey and becomes less interesting too.
Even if King Il killed his wife for a reason, he didn t endanger Yona, since Yona and her mother are two different entities. Also it doesn t negate the fact, that Soo Won also murdered the previous king in order to take revenge.
These are still occurences, that don t change no matter, if King Il was now "an incompetent saint", or a human being who committed awful deeds in order to obtain his dream.
King Il wished for peace and no wars, this is still a noble motive, no matter, what kind of measures he took to achieve that beneficial state.
I think I have problems with the concept of "Evil" and "God" since it is a pretty simply way to perceive situations and people. (I know that is not what you may imply here, but I think that Yona still thinks in that kind of categories sometimes).
In her opinion, her father who even gave in to the tribes, is not able to kill his own brother. But there is no relation.
A cowardly human being or a soft person can very well commit a sinful deed if he perceives it as necessary. And his reasons could be vary greatly. From wishing to protect the country, his daughter, or just to get rid of a person, that could disturb his plans.
King Il would not be a "good" person, but would rather fit in the "greyness" of the supposed antagonist.

That's why I would like to see both Yona and Soo-Won change their perspective about their father's and realize that they both were wrong about them. This could also help them come together and work together in the end.
Basically I think that this will happen.There are enough hints.


Though she has already done this for the country...she isn't ignorant anymore.
I would maybe say, that she changed for the better, but she is not entirely there yet, if she fails to perceive that some of her beliefs are merely assumptions. Yona has literally no proof, that this is the reason, why her uncle didn t ascend the throne.
I say this, because she admitted, that she cannot remember her mother anymore, so how high are the chances then, that she is able to remember her grand-father, that she is able to understand his character and motives for choosing King Il and not Yu hon? Her grand-father died sooner than her mother after all.
If Yona is still not able to understand, that this is merely her belief/assumption and not a fact. Like she worded it, one may believe, that she actually considered it a fact. At least that was my impression of that scene.
I think that that may be that, what @@Aylinn means with "jumping to conclusion".
As a leader it is essential, that you are able to distinct your wishes from actual information/facts. After all you base your decisions on these facts.
Which can lead to fatal effects in the end, because reality doesn t really bother, if you wish to see certain situations or not.
 
Last edited:

Mini_kinkin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
219
Reaction score
165
Country
Winterfell
Even if King Il killed his wife for a reason, he didn t endanger Yona, since Yona and her mother are two different entities. Also it doesn t negate the fact, that Soo Won also murdered the previous king in order to take revenge.
These are still occurences, that don t change no matter, if King Il was now "an incompetent saint", or a human being who committed awful deeds in order to obtain his dream.
King Il wished for peace and no wars, this is still a noble motive, no matter, what kind of measures he took to achieve that beneficial state.
I think I have problems with the concept of "Evil" and "God" since it is a pretty simply way to perceive situations and people. (I know that is not what you may imply here, but I think that Yona still thinks in that kind of categories sometimes).
In her opinion, her father who even gave in to the tribes, is not able to kill his own brother. But there is no relation.
A cowardly human being or a soft person can very well commit a sinful deed if he perceives it as necessary. And his reasons could be vary greatly. From wishing to protect the country, his daughter, or just to get rid of a person, that could disturb his plans.
King Il would not be a "good" person, but would rather fit in the "greyness" of the supposed antagonist.
Ah okay. I like your analysis.

My only point is that if Yu-Hon is not shown as a bad person at all, and only Il shown as this big bad evil mother killer, then that would invariably make readers soft for Soo-Won for betraying Yona, turning him into a self-sacrificial anti-hero for sacrificing his friends and killing the uncle he once loved because that person was the ultimate evil who did wrong upon his own innocent wife and brother, Yu-Hon. Though this is very possible, it is rather cliche. I would rather people start respecting Soo-Won because of his decisions for the country (Like I started slowly respecting him because of it), and not because he turns out to be the anti-hero of everyone's dreams. But I think this is what will happen. This is why I think both Yu-Hon and Il should be portrayed as equally bad (or grey).

I would maybe say, that she changed for the better, but she is not entirely there yet, if she fails to perceive that some of her beliefs are merely assumptions
Well yes, she is rather naive sometimes. Though her naivety is advantageous sometimes. She sees the world from a new perspective because she was cooped up in that castle all the time, and sometimes it works to her benefit. But I get what you mean.
 
Last edited:

@Aylinn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
204
Reaction score
268
Country
Poland
Actually, all conflict is an avenue for growth. Whether that conflict be started by a villain or an antagonist, when the mc is opposed, it causes growth. I agree on the parts where u said soowon caused this and that to yonas character growth bec he really was the first antagonist when he killed king il. What i dont agree with is what u said about the evil villains that causes no growth whatsoever to the mc, bec theyre just wrong making the mc right.

Even if soowon was written as an evil villain, when he kills il and sent yona away from her comfort zone, that already caused so much growth for the character. If soowon was portrayed a tyrant yona wouldve resolved to take him down and in the process strive to learn the ways of leadership, diplomacy, etc. to replace him or be even better than her father. As shes taking a more political slant, she will have to refine her decision making skills. Heck, if she did consider going political, she’d learn more about her countries past, yuhons and her grandfathers and correct her naive thinking. im sure there will be backstabbing and betrayal by close allies in this route. For someone who was sheltered as yona, going political will be an uphill battle and since this is unchartered waters for her, mistakes are bound to happen. The possibilities are endless if the route went this way.
Ok, it could have been written that way as well. However, for this to work Yona still would have to fail to look for other ways to make things work. As long as her ways of solving problems and coming to conclusions work and make her right, there is no reason for her to change anything about it.

And I still think it is much more interesting when the main character is not a special snowflake that has the monopoly for being right.
I would maybe say, that she changed for the better, but she is not entirely there yet, if she fails to perceive that some of her beliefs are merely assumptions. Yona has literally no proof, that this is the reason, why her uncle didn t ascend the throne.
I say this, because she admitted, that she cannot remember her mother anymore, so how high are the chances then, that she is able to remember her grand-father, that she is able to understand his character and motives for choosing King Il and not Yu hon? Her grand-father died sooner than her mother after all.
If Yona is still not able to understand, that this is merely her belief/assumption and not a fact. Like she worded it, one may believe, that she actually considered it a fact. At least that was my impression of that scene.
I think that that may be that, what @@Aylinn means with "jumping to conclusion".
As a leader it is essential, that you are able to distinct your wishes from actual information/facts. After all you base your decisions on these facts.
Which can lead to fatal effects in the end, because reality doesn t really bother, if you wish to see certain situations or not.
Yes, this is what I mean.

---Update---

@Mini_kinkin I agree that both Yu-hon and Il should be shown as imperfect humans. It would be much more interesting.

As for Su-won being a savior of Yona due to Il being a threat to her, I think it would be too much. I don’t think adding anything related to Yona to Su-won’s reasons for killing Il is necessary or that Kusanagi needs to go overboard with revelations about Il.
When I wrote that I want Su-won to have solid reasons to take revenge on Il, I was thinking about the fact that Il killed Yu-hon for reasons other than Yu-hon being a big bad villain that was after Il’s wife/Yona, throne etc., but for reasons similar to what SamuelDean listed like Il believing that Yu-hon is a hindrance to his peaceful plans, so it is understandable why Su-won wanted to take revenge and does not make it completely justified for Il to kill Yu-hon and thus making it look like Su-won made a great mistake by killing Il.

I think that there are other ways to show that Yu-hon was not exactly a perfect human being that Su-won remembers and I think that it was already hinted that he wasn’t.
 
Last edited:

SamuelDean

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Messages
253
Reaction score
175
Country
Dragonstone
Ah okay. I like your analysis.

My only point is that if Yu-Hon is not shown as a bad person at all, and only Il shown as this big bad evil mother killer, then that would invariably make readers soft for Soo-Won for betraying Yona, turning him into a self-sacrificial anti-hero for sacrificing his friends and killing the uncle he once loved because that person was the ultimate evil who did wrong upon his own innocent wife and brother, Yu-Hon. Though this is very possible, it is rather cliche. I would rather people start respecting Soo-Won because of his decisions for the country (Like I started slowly respecting him because of it), and not because he turns out to be the anti-hero of everyone's dreams. But I think this is what will happen. This is why I think both Yu-Hon and Il should be portrayed as equally bad (or grey).
Sorry for being kind of late. I think that the Xing Arc at least demonstrated, that Yu hon was not a "good" person per se.Even if he had his reasons, there were most likely other options for him, than beheading people.
Also the mangaka reminds the reader continously what Soo Won did along with his aim.
Like I said King Il seemed to have a good motive,and seemed to be a nice person. so it would be more than weird, if he became something like the antichrist.
Well, Soo Won really sacrificed his friendship with Yona and Hak for his plans that seemed to contain both: selfish and selfless reasons.
I agree with you too, that it is essential that both fathers are shown to be flawed and maybe wrong in her actions for both characters (Yona and Soo Won) to grow.
Also whatever King Il did, his daughter seemed to love him even at the end. Yona is called princess when she appears for the first time. I mean that section, where she has long hair and is standing with this big dragon sword. Looking at her hair, there must be more months between now and that event.
I also agree with @@Aylinn here:
@Mini_kinkin I agree that both Yu-hon and Il should be shown as imperfect humans. It would be much more interesting.

As for Su-won being a savior of Yona due to Il being a threat to her, I think it would be too much. I don’t think adding anything related to Yona to Su-won’s reasons for killing Il is necessary or that Kusanagi needs to go overboard with revelations about Il.
When I wrote that I want Su-won to have solid reasons to take revenge on Il, I was thinking about the fact that Il killed Yu-hon for reasons other than Yu-hon being a big bad villain that was after Il’s wife/Yona, throne etc., but for reasons similar to what SamuelDean listed like Il believing that Yu-hon is a hindrance to his peaceful plans, so it is understandable why Su-won wanted to take revenge and does not make it completely justified for Il to kill Yu-hon and thus making it look like Su-won made a great mistake by killing Il.

I think that there are other ways to show that Yu-hon was not exactly a perfect human being that Su-won remembers and I think that it was already hinted that he wasn’t.
Well yes, she is rather naive sometimes. Though her naivety is advantageous sometimes. She sees the world from a new perspective because she was cooped up in that castle all the time, and sometimes it works to her benefit. But I get what you mean.
Yeah. I like that about her and I hope she never loses that ability to think about an event more objectively than the others. It is just that she is not at the end of her journey.
 

Mini_kinkin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
219
Reaction score
165
Country
Winterfell
As for Su-won being a savior of Yona due to Il being a threat to her, I think it would be too much. I don’t think adding anything related to Yona to Su-won’s reasons for killing Il is necessary or that Kusanagi needs to go overboard with revelations about Il.
When I wrote that I want Su-won to have solid reasons to take revenge on Il, I was thinking about the fact that Il killed Yu-hon for reasons other than Yu-hon being a big bad villain that was after Il’s wife/Yona, throne etc., but for reasons similar to what SamuelDean listed like Il believing that Yu-hon is a hindrance to his peaceful plans, so it is understandable why Su-won wanted to take revenge and does not make it completely justified for Il to kill Yu-hon and thus making it look like Su-won made a great mistake by killing Il.

I think that there are other ways to show that Yu-hon was not exactly a perfect human being that Su-won remembers and I think that it was already hinted that he wasn’t.
Okay I get your point now. I agree with you. I just hope there aren't too many cliche anti-hero elements towards the end. We have enough anti-heros in the market.

@SamuelDean Yes, though while Il seems like a nice person there was always an element of shade around him, so I wouldn't be too shocked if we find out he is the supreme shade master in Akatsuki No Yona.

Yu-Hon would be like the master of cruel methods and Il is the master of shade. The lovely duo of brothers.

UPDATE:

http://mangafox.la/manga/akatsuki_no_yona/v26/c151/5.html

Tae-Woo is saying it's been 3 years since he became general. It hasn't even been 1 year since Il's death right?

Another update:

Hak is so hot when he is angry. Thanks Kusa for giving me these rare fangirl moments lol.

http://mangafox.la/manga/akatsuki_no_yona/v26/c152/27.html

:hearts:hearts:hearts

Now Yona better confess or I am going to punch something.

Lol I love how Zeno is so unfazed by the confession, must be thinking what little kids they are hahaha:

http://mangafox.la/manga/akatsuki_no_yona/v26/c152/30.html
 
Last edited:

SamuelDean

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Messages
253
Reaction score
175
Country
Dragonstone
I wonder if we ever get Hak s thoughts about King Il s deeds...The Kin Province was at best an indirect statement.
Heck..I want to know, if he condemns Soo Won for conquering the other countries, if he had another plan, or if he would be alright with it.
 

Aniela

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
158
Reaction score
157
Country
Poland
http://mangafox.la/manga/akatsuki_no_yona/v26/c151/5.html

Tae-Woo is saying it's been 3 years since he became general. It hasn't even been 1 year since Il's death right?
I saw it floating over tumblr that it's mistranslated. According to Panda, he said, "You were gone for three entire years after you became general."

-
Btw. this may be a little off-topic, but does anyone else have a problem with logging in to mangafox.la? I can't see my bookmarks because of that, and I don't know if it's something they'll repair, or if I should find another website :/
 

SamuelDean

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Messages
253
Reaction score
175
Country
Dragonstone
Another interesting point: How will they prove the murder of Yu hon? They don t have the equipment we have today. And I kind of doubt that Zeno was able to observe it.
Mundoek may know more, but he is not exactly an objective source of information.
Soo Won cannot tell it for obvious reasons.
 

@Aylinn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
204
Reaction score
268
Country
Poland
Well, I think that maybe there are more eye-witnesses than Su-won if Su-won is an eye-witness. I think that Zeno is a possible eye-witness and it would nicely explain why Zeno has never shown any hostility towards Su-won despite knowing that he is the one who chased Yona and Hak out of the castle.
 

SamuelDean

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Messages
253
Reaction score
175
Country
Dragonstone
Well, I think that maybe there are more eye-witnesses than Su-won if Su-won is an eye-witness. I think that Zeno is a possible eye-witness and it would nicely explain why Zeno has never shown any hostility towards Su-won despite knowing that he is the one who chased Yona and Hak out of the castle.
You really mean the murder of Yu hon, do you? I think he was present at the murder of King Il (the arrow would fit), but 10 years ago? Well it is possible.
 

Mini_kinkin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
219
Reaction score
165
Country
Winterfell
I wonder if we ever get Hak s thoughts about King Il s deeds...The Kin Province was at best an indirect statement.
Heck..I want to know, if he condemns Soo Won for conquering the other countries, if he had another plan, or if he would be alright with it.
Yeah though as as been discussed before, Hak was never too interested in politics. He probably wasn't the best choice as general because of this. We can see that he is more of a strength and inspiration to the people he loves (Wind Tribe and Happy Hungry Bunch) than someone who can be a leader of a country in any form. He is probably still too emotional about Il to realize or admit his wrong doings. This is what he is trying to learn from Yona I guess, who is still able to to admit that Il wasn't the best king.

To put it simply, he is like that person in a friend's group who doesn't care about politics and just wants to live their life and protect his loved ones. Sadly, because he is in the middle of all of this, he is going to get dragged eventually, so his attitude needs to change. We can already see that he held himself back from killing soldiers in Xing thinking of Yona and Jae-Ha.

Though it would be interesting to know his thoughts.

Update:

So I have been re-reading this confession chapter and I must retract my previous statements. The way Hak confessed is just so hilarious that I don't care that Yona didn't confess first anymore. Hak is so funny and It's typical of his character to give an angry confession. lol. This is why he's my fave, he just stopped giving a shit after a point and told Yona off which she deserved. Though Yona still irritated me a lot in the previous chapter haha.
 
Last edited:

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Just read the last 2 chaps...

151 - You could've skimmed a good portion of that.
152 - Better, since Hak ended the misunderstandings.

Yona has always been terrible at matters of love and those 2 chapters highlighted that, if it were possible. And while I could easily say "let's move on from this wreck", I'd actually like it if we kept a small focus on Yona x Hak while the next plot is developing (whatever that may be). Have Yona get used to this situation just like most young people go through. She doesn't need to become confident and sure of herself overnight, but she can make noticeable progress. Or am I dreaming...

Hak and Yona should talk more too, which should help Yona out. I wonder if the group dynamic changes? I think no, maybe for a little while there is some teasing.
 
Last edited:

@Aylinn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
204
Reaction score
268
Country
Poland
You really mean the murder of Yu hon, do you? I think he was present at the murder of King Il (the arrow would fit), but 10 years ago? Well it is possible.
Yes, I mean the murder of Yu-hon. It would fit nicely with the rest of the story and with what we know so far.

I also suppose that the next chapter will be about Yona and Hak’s romance. I don’t mind if in the meantime Kusanagi will think of some really good characterization for the characters that will appear in the future arc and a decent plot. Besides, she can always show Yona and Hak’s discussion about Su-won and what happened that night. I think it is long overdue.
 

Mini_kinkin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
219
Reaction score
165
Country
Winterfell
Yes, I mean the murder of Yu-hon. It would fit nicely with the rest of the story and with what we know so far.

I also suppose that the next chapter will be about Yona and Hak’s romance. I don’t mind if in the meantime Kusanagi will think of some really good characterization for the characters that will appear in the future arc and a decent plot. Besides, she can always show Yona and Hak’s discussion about Su-won and what happened that night. I think it is long overdue.
Personally I want a nice mutual steamy kiss. So that fans are happy. Let's get all the romance out of the way completely, then focus on future arcs 100%, so we don't need to clarify anything in romance again unless it is pairing up Soo-Won and Lily. Though Yona getting used to the situation is also good, but it might hinder her thought process during the final few arcs, so maybe Kusa wouldn't do that.

Like this one in NG Life :hearts

 
Last edited:
Top