Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
MHA had 4 Vomic episodes aired at Animax in January 2015, in it's early days it appeared multipe times at "Special research police JUMPolice" TV show if you count this one, also (Horikoshi) appeared at Mandō Kobayashi TV show in January 2016.
You're seriously using JUMPolice a program that covers all JUMP programs for JUMP manga to Ametalk a widely popular variety show?
And where did i say or implied that it is higher? neither said that comparing 7 volumes sales to one volume is a valid argument, what i meant is that there always been comparisons between each manga's (other series too not just MHA and TPN) respective volumes or their first year sales, pre-anime etc, but suddenly now the comparison became embrassing? i'm gonna ask the same question what is it with TPN that get people so riled up? because most of what i saw is people denying TPN's big success or not given it much credit for that.
I said it was embrassing that he's using the sales for 7 volumes in comparison to one volume from two years ago when we were talking about their respective 7th volume.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Yes I'm agitated for pointing out that TPN with its current boost and plethora of promotion still falls behind a volume of MHA released 2 years ago with none of tge bells and whistles that Neverland has.
But you are. Proof of that is that you're trying to dismiss TPN success arguing it has had bells and whistles, when the biggest come from external sources.
They're pretty much the same. A difference of 4,000 copies given the circumstances is infinitesimal. That's literally it.

This conversation is over. I don't care about either series to be arguing over them.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Ah yes, the old "I don't care anyway" copout.
How is that a copout?
Both series are doing the same with the same amount of volumes, that's pretty factual. What's there to argue about?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But you are. Proof of that is that you're trying to dismiss TPN success arguing it has had bells and whistles, when the biggest come from external sources.
They're pretty much the same. A difference of 4,000 copies given the circumstances is infinitesimal. That's literally it.

This conversation is over. I don't care about either series to be arguing over them.
I'm dismissing TPN success by pointing out that MHA didn't get the same treatment? And what "external sources" MHA was on the Kono Manga Sugoi rankings for two years.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I'm dismissing TPN success by pointing out that MHA didn't get the same treatment? And what "external sources" MHA was on the Kono Manga Sugoi rankings for two years.
"Treatment"
The biggest boost came from AmeTalk which is external and has nothing do with Shueisha. Why they decided to talk about it? Who knows, there are too many variables.

If you go back to my first post I said each series gets the amount and type of promotion they need. That's why Black Clover's anime is longer, because for some reason we don't know Shueisha thinks it's better for the series to grow slowly. That's why they went forward with the MHA extremely early.

The conclusion is this: They both got roughly the same amount of promotion in the magazine itself and they both are doing roughly the same in the same amount of time. That's it.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
How is that a copout?
Both series are doing the same with the same amount of volumes, that's pretty factual. What's there to argue about?
Exactly, there's nothing to argue about. Yet you and others have made multiple posts about it. Can't really say you don't care enough to argue now can you?
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Exactly, there's nothing to argue about. Yet you and others have made multiple posts about it. Can't really say you don't care enough to argue now can you?
I made three posts about it where I basically repeat myself saying they're doing the same.
That's barely arguing. What I mean is that I don't plan to talk about the same thing for days.

What's up with the passive-aggressive actitued some people have on this forum?
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
And where did i say or implied that it is higher? neither said that comparing 7 volumes sales to one volume is a valid argument, what i meant is that there always been comparisons between each manga's (other series too not just MHA and TPN) respective volumes or their first year sales, pre-anime etc, but suddenly now the comparison became embrassing? i'm gonna ask the same question what is it with TPN that get people so riled up? because most of what i saw is people denying TPN's big success or not given it much credit for that.
Well, the problem is the target of comparison. Both are successes, but the way they have achieved this success is different. BnHA is like Deku, the loser that managed to become special thanks to his own effort. It got a lot of promotion (OfA) because it was already selling well. TPN, on the other hand, is like Emma, became special because it was specifically designed to be special. It got a lot of promotion (high IQ) and only after that began to sell well.

So, when placed side by side there is conflict. Because to defend their underdog pride, BnHAfans will argue that TPN has been pushed. Consequently, to defend their "it's not your typical generic battle shonen" pride, TPNfans will deny the pushing and say that BnHA was also pushed or that the reason for the boost is that the writing is good or that the MC is a girl (oh, wait, that's the SJW argument that will become more popular when the anime comes out).

And what to do to avoid these dramas, my dear friends? What to do to achieve peace?
Easy:

> BnHA fans will recognize the success of TPN as long as the target of the comparison is not BnHA. BC, Dr. Stone, Kimetsu, Toriko and even One Piece are better choices.

> TPN fans will recognize that TPN has been pushed as long as the person who said this recognizes the quality of the series. In that sense, it was pushed but deserved it.
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Both are great series, just wanted to understand some ppls logic with this. Perfectly fine to want TPN to do better
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
That moment when I don't give a fuck anymore and I'm just celebrating that two of my favorite manga are doing amazingly well. Boku no Hero got a top tier anime too and it's getting more and more animated, I really couldn't ask for more. Now all I need is a superb Neverland anime and I'll be over the moon and far away from here. I'm having a blast with Jump's current line-up as well, overall I have a positive outlook.
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Throw in a little Kimetsu while we're at it ;)
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I'm really excited for the Kimetsu anime. We should be hearing something soon... Hopefully.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'm really excited for the Kimetsu anime. We should be hearing something soon... Hopefully.
Maybe not that soon, we'll only get an announcement at the end of 2018 most likely and I can't help but feel worried since anime adaptations and their quality mostly depends on luck, especially in the hectic world of WSJ, yikes. You never know when Toei and Pierrot are going to strike like a predator and snatch away any chances of a good anime adaptation (scary stuff), but nothing can be done about it... xD Sigh...
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Maybe not that soon, we'll only get an announcement at the end of 2018 most likely and I can't help but feel worried since anime adaptations and their quality mostly depends on luck, especially in the hectic world of WSJ, yikes. You never know when Toei and Pierrot are going to strike like a predator and snatch away any chances of a good anime adaptation (scary stuff), but nothing can be done about it... xD Sigh...
End of 2018 would mean the series will be like close to 150 chapters. I doubt they will wait that long.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Aesthetically, SHAFT is perfect for Kimetsu.
I totally agree, but will such a good match happen? I said before I'd be fine with BONES, WIT or I.G since I trust them more than other studios and they could pull off Kimetsu's style, but Shaft is quite literally a natural fit, the problem is, Shaft don't really do action series or battle shounen manga.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
So MHA is Bleach now on this forum, I guess? Its the same type of discussion I used to have back when bleach as on.

I said this before, MHA and TPN are both big successes.
Someone presented some wrong data and made it seem like TPN was doing better than MHA during the same period. Someone else argued that data was wrong and gave the right data. No, that does not make them MHA fanboys. People need to learn when to criticise someone for blindly supporting a series from someone who was correcting the wrong data presented.

With this said, both are big successes.

In my opinion, I think MHA might touch a million mark peak at some point and then drop. I don't forsee TPN doing that. But it's fine if I'm wrong. I don't work in this industry to be affected by my wrong prediction.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
End of 2018 would mean the series will be like close to 150 chapters. I doubt they will wait that long.
Yeah, but anime production takes a long time, so does the planning and so on. Then there's the fact that Kimetsu had some really big growth going on in 2017 and that might've even caught Shueisha off guard, so Kimetsu wasn't their top priority but now they're definitely determined to promote it with TPN as the next series to get animated and Bokuben might slide into the picture as well.

Maybe you're right though. What's the average chapter count when anime got announced for upcoming battle shounen manga in WSJ for the last 10 years? And in general for manga that manage to survive in WSJ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top