Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
50 million for a comedy of just 69 volumes is something comedy series don't get. By your logic, Kochikame should not be considered big because it had 200 volumes but sales were ONLY at 157 million. So that makes it less than a million seller. And I clearly never saw anyone quoting things from Kochikame either in school. So does that make Naruto more popular? Going by your logic, it should.
You do realize that Kochikame lasted for 40 years and its the Guinness Book Record holder of longest running comic serial right? In comparison Gintama lasted for 14 years and hasn't done anything nearly as impactful.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wait. On what basis are you guys comparing Naruto and Gintama? Why are some of you bringing in quotes of what you said in school?

Naruto is a typical shounen action manga. Gintama, while goes into action, is known for how it defined comedy in shounen and WSJ. The impact it had in the culture is visible when you see how well it's anime, movies and live action does. WSJ acknowledges this and its why Gintama still gets constant covers and lead CPs despite having low ranks numerous times.

No one is downplaying Naruto and the impact it had in the western field or Japan. But some of you are clearly bringing up how as high-schoolers you were shouting Naruto quotes as some sort of proof it was more popular. Gintama cannot get as popular as Naruto in the west because its comedy is very related to Japanese culture and its not as flashy and obvious as the typical shounen action series are.

50 million for a comedy of just 69 volumes is something comedy series don't get. By your logic, Kochikame should not be considered big because it had 200 volumes but sales were ONLY at 157 million. So that makes it less than a million seller. And I clearly never saw anyone quoting things from Kochikame either in school. So does that make Naruto more popular? Going by your logic, it should.

Some seem to be seeing purely from sales perspective, which is a very narrow view, without taking other things into consideration. Naruto is big for what it brought to the shounen genre. Gintama is big for what it brought to the table as a comedy manga.

I'd go into more detail but I've got other things to do. I'm sure you all can do your own research.

Edit- If some of you think Kochikame is not bigger than Naruto, I wouldn't have words to say.
Some of you? One person brought up something about quotes. The discussion was about sales and popularity
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Holy fuck.... Netflix just announced they're partnering with BONES, Production I.G. and Studio Wit. I always thought this was just a daydream of mine, but to think it would actually happen....

If rumors and speculations are true about Netflix trying to cut out the production committee and pumping a godawful amount of money into their Anime projects that Studios never thought would happen, then I can totally see Netflix going

Netflix: Hey, we want to distribute MHA on our platform too.
Wakana: And your asking price is?
Netflix: 5 billion Yen. And half of that will go to the AM vs AFO fight alone.
Wakana: *Jawdrops*

*Wakana and Kenji meets*
Kenji: So, how did the meeting go?
Wakana: *hands the cheque and agreement*
Kenji: *has exact same reaction*
Wakana: *takes out her strongest Sake* A toast, Kenji-san?
Kenji: Fuck, thanks *swigs down cup*

*Meeting with Yuta-pon*

Yuta-pon: You want to pay me how MUCH!!?
Kenji: Here, the big boss told me to share with you, you're gonna need it. *shares sake*

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-with-production-i.g-bones-wit-studio/.127164
Anime budget doesn't really have a big impact of the quality of animation. It's a well known fact and there's been tweets from animators that stress this so much.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Anime budget doesn't really have a big impact of the quality of animation. It's a well known fact and there's been tweets from animators that stress this so much.
There's gonna be a big difference with these Netflix shows, the production schedules will be very different from typical TV anime productions, which pressure animators weekly. With this, the studios can take their time and they won't have to deal with a lot of pressure due to deadlines.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Its another series that owe its success to the anime
But that's exactly my point. Why should a successful series status depend on whether or not it became successful because of the anime? In the end it was still a huge success wasn't it?
I'm not downplaying Naruto, I just think guys are all downplaying Gintama.[
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I thought the topic was lowkey going like "Gintama has had the same impact of Naruto so it should get a cover" and I brought up print numbers to show it's not. I don't have a way to assess its popularity in Japan but I'd have to imagine Naruto matched it in animation popularity. Never read or watched so no personal feelings against it.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But that's exactly my point. Why should a successful series status depend on whether or not it became successful because of the anime? In the end it was still a huge success wasn't it?
I'm not downplaying Naruto, I just think guys are all downplaying Gintama
Okay, outside being very popular what did Gintama do that was significant enough to be on the cover over Naruto?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
There's gonna be a big difference with these Netflix shows, the production schedules will be very different from typical TV anime productions, which pressure animators weekly. With this, the studios can take their time and they won't have to deal with a lot of pressure due to deadlines.
That's true and I agree.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Personally I'd rather Netflix stayed as far away from anime as possible, especially from WSJ adaptations.

I like discussing stuff weekly and it's a huge part of weekly battle shounen in particular, Netflix holding a WSJ fighting series hostage for months will kill any chance of it being popular in the west, guessing what's coming next is half the rest people go for this stuff.
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
There's gonna be a big difference with these Netflix shows, the production schedules will be very different from typical TV anime productions, which pressure animators weekly. With this, the studios can take their time and they won't have to deal with a lot of pressure due to deadlines.
I mean, I'd imagine most of these series would still be airing on TV. So it won't change much in that regard. Unless they're releasing like Devilman Crybaby did, and live action Netflix productions.
------
Also, of all the things to waste time on, y'all would waste it on Gintama vs Naruto? Yikes
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
I can see Neverland being released as a Netflix original, to be honest. Production by Wit or IG. It feels perfect for an international market, too.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I mean, I'd imagine most of these series would still be airing on TV. So it won't change much in that regard. Unless they're releasing like Devilman Crybaby did, and live action Netflix productions.
------
Also, of all the things to waste time on, y'all would waste it on Gintama vs Naruto? Yikes
No, they won't be on TV. These are going to be legit Netflix original productions from now on and they'll only be on Netflix.

Personally I'd rather Netflix stayed as far away from anime as possible, especially from WSJ adaptations.

I like discussing stuff weekly and it's a huge part of weekly battle shounen in particular, Netflix holding a WSJ fighting series hostage for months will kill any chance of it being popular in the west, guessing what's coming next is half the rest people go for this stuff.
I don't care about weekly discussions as long as we get a good anime. I doubt they will get involved with any WSJ adaptation.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I can see Neverland being released as a Netflix original, to be honest. Production by Wit or IG. It feels perfect for an international market, too.
I don't think so, because I'm sure the Japanese side would also want this to air on TV for as much exposure as possible.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
I'm talking about something like Violet Evergarden, which airs on Japanese TV but it's still marketed as a Netflix Original WW.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'm talking about something like Violet Evergarden, which airs on Japanese TV but it's still marketed as a Netflix Original WW.
Ah, that would be a license from Netflix then.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
Ah, that would be a license from Netflix then.
I think they pay considerably more for something like that than they do for stuff they merely license.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Looks like we have similar dreams. I hope good anime comes out of it. I doubt it will really have anything to do with WSJ.
Well, they could haggle with Funimation with the distribution rights, I'm pretty sure they can work some deal out. Although I agree that the likeliness of that happening is low. But on the other hand, MHA is a pretty big thing now, and the best part is yet to come. If Netflix wants to target the more mainstream anime fans, they cannot possibly pass up the chance to get MHA on their platform.

Personally I'd rather Netflix stayed as far away from anime as possible, especially from WSJ adaptations.

I like discussing stuff weekly and it's a huge part of weekly battle shounen in particular, Netflix holding a WSJ fighting series hostage for months will kill any chance of it being popular in the west, guessing what's coming next is half the rest people go for this stuff.
The only WSJ adaptation from either of those studios is MHA and I'm not sure any of them are going to pick up future WSJ adaptations. Neverland, maybe. But it's not a sure thing. But that said, I could see Netflix making a deal with Funimation somehow with MHA. Funimation can stream it weekly as usual, while Netflix saves it for their binge-watching crowds. The latter is Netflix's main demographic. The case I'm making for MHA is if there's a chance for it to get EVEN more exposure, then I'm all for it.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Netflix: 5 billion Yen. And half of that will go to the AM vs AFO fight alone.
You let it sound as if that's a lot, but let be fair, just enough for a bowl of ramen.

Jokes aside: I like how through Netflix support we're able to get more anime, especially after Devilman Crybaby I can see how this can have its own advantages and maybe this could lead to another rennaisance of anime in pop culture. I would welcome this change for once.
But I do hope that these projects are mostly successful, because after several failed attempts on Kickstarter, people lost their trust in those. (my worry is, that if Netflix still fails after this, that companies would hesitant to back such projects in the future). But I'm surprised that Netflix put so much money into these. Are anime successful on Netflx? I don't know, not only do I not own Netflix, I don't even watch TV(I'm more a book-person, if all my talk about writing havent made it clear enough).
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
Ah, that would be a license from Netflix then.
Many anime that Netflix produced (rather than just licensed) also aired on TV, before or at the same time as releasing on Netflix.
So I don't know if this would be any different if they're partnering up to produce series with them. It wouldn't necessarily take it away from TV.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top