Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Well, they could haggle with Funimation with the distribution rights, I'm pretty sure they can work some deal out. Although I agree that the likeliness of that happening is low. But on the other hand, MHA is a pretty big thing now, and the best part is yet to come. If Netflix wants to target the more mainstream anime fans, they cannot possibly pass up the chance to get MHA on their platform.



The only WSJ adaptation from either of those studios is MHA and I'm not sure any of them are going to pick up future WSJ adaptations. Neverland, maybe. But it's not a sure thing. But that said, I could see Netflix making a deal with Funimation somehow with MHA. Funimation can stream it weekly as usual, while Netflix saves it for their binge-watching crowds. The latter is Netflix's main demographic. The case I'm making for MHA is if there's a chance for it to get EVEN more exposure, then I'm all for it.
I can see Neverland, Dr. Stone and Kimetsu no Yaiba being adapted by Bones, Wit or I.G, heck even Hinomaru-zumo could be from I.G.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Also, of all the things to waste time on, y'all would waste it on Gintama vs Naruto? Yikes
Lmao just a misunderstanding, nothing like BC's quality or if Neverland's success is overrated. I understand what 101nemsis was going for. Kinda want to know the reasoning why some feel like Gintama would get a cover. No spite, just wanna hear why.

Also this Netflix stuff sounds great. Netflix recently subbed Super's and FT's recent movies so it's money out there to be made. Would Funimation take a hit?
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Lmao just a misunderstanding, nothing like BC's quality or if Neverland's success is overrated. I understand what 101nemsis was going for. Kinda want to know the reasoning why some feel like Gintama would get a cover. No spite, just wanna hear why.

Also this Netflix stuff sounds great. Netflix recently subbed Super's and FT's recent movies so it's money out there to be made. Would Funimation take a hit?
As I've said before, I could see them making a deal with Funi where Netflix targets the binge-watching crowd and let Funi handle the weekly simulcasting
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I can see Neverland, Dr. Stone and Kimetsu no Yaiba being adapted by Bones, Wit or I.G, heck even Hinomaru-zumo could be from I.G.
Ever the optimist, aren't you?:3c
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Many anime that Netflix produced (rather than just licensed) also aired on TV, before or at the same time as releasing on Netflix.
So I don't know if this would be any different if they're partnering up to produce series with them. It wouldn't necessarily take it away from TV.
For example, their next three original netflix anime will come in March and all of them are Netflix exclusive, this is what I expect from them in the future, this is what this partnership with these three studios is most likely about. All three of those March anime from Netflix are done by I.G and Bones.

Ever the optimist, aren't you?:3c
I'll make the powers of the universe align. You could also call these daydreams. I'm actually really pessimistic, but I want to believe.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Also, I forgot to mention one upside we could get from MHA airing on Netflix: None of that dimming effect thanks to Japan's tv regulations.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
MHA is not airing only on Netflix. At most CR will lose the international distro rights.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
@Newkerzy you know that MHA only made 1,385,052,699 billion yen in 2017 right? And that is with backing of the manga + home video + novel + music.

You're telling me Netflix will give it 5 billion yen for one anime, and half of it will go to one fight?
:notsure
I will just leave it at that since this isn't the thread to dive deeper into it.,
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Just so everyone understands what the Netflix situation actually is, here is a quote from reddit user, blankslate99:
  1. This deal only extends to Production I. G. and Bones anime that are co-produced by Netflix.

  2. Netflix is basically going to take the place of TV stations on specific production committees involving Production I. G. and Bones.

  3. Production committees rarely change drastically between seasons, so don't expect many sequels to suddenly only be available on Netflix.

  4. This deal ensures that Netflix will be the only distributor for whatever IG and Bones shows are co-produced by Netflix. This is much more similar to Devilman Crybaby than Netflix's delaycasts since the delaycasts were co-produced by TV stations and Netflix simply licensed distribution rights.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
@Newkerzy you know that MHA only made 1,385,052,699 billion yen in 2017 right? And that is with backing of the manga + home video + novel + music.

You're telling me Netflix will give it 5 billion yen for one anime, and half of it will go to one fight?
:notsure
I will just leave it at that since this isn't the thread to dive deeper into it.,
I was only joking...... :-_-

I hardly believe that Netflix would pay that much for an Anime. Let alone for a single episode (though one can only hope). But nevertheless, it's not unreasonable to expect Netflix having an impact on the studio's budget. MHA is just one of them, but we'll probably never find out just how MUCH an impact Netflix had on these studio's budgets. But if you see the AM vs AFO fight having a noticeble jump in quality, and even more so than Todoroki vs Deku, then you can pretty much have a rough guess how much of an impact Netflix had on the series.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@Nakurawari I'm still hoping this affects MHA's production in a positive way somehow. Besides, you never know how these deals work behind the scenes.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Some of you? One person brought up something about quotes. The discussion was about sales and popularity
One person said it, another one or two liked that comment. Hence, some of you.

You do realize that Kochikame lasted for 40 years and its the Guinness Book Record holder of longest running comic serial right? In comparison Gintama lasted for 14 years and hasn't done anything nearly as impactful.
And? Your point being? That immediately makes it deserving of cover and makes it more popular? How was that impactful? Kochikame's volume sales in the last 10 years were less than half than what Saiki or Dr. Stone and all get even now.

No. It got to 40 years for the impact it had on WSJ and in the manga scene. Not because of sales or the longevity. Sure, those help but those are not the only factors. Because if it was only sales and whatnot, Kochikame would not be in the magazine after its sales touched 40k. It's impact was beyond sales and numbers. Because if sales defined cultural impact, Kochikame in the last 10 years would be negligible.
Same as Gintama. Gintama's impact was beyond sales and numbers. As big as Kochikame? Hell no. As big as Naruto? Arguably yes. Stop downplaying Gintama, like how you're accusing others of downplaying Naruto.
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
Just so everyone understands what the Netflix situation actually is, here is a quote from reddit user, blankslate99:
Oh, okay, that clarifies it quite a bit. I'm glad this is the case then. I'm hoping this will work out well, as I have quite a distaste for how Netflix anime have been released so far in terms of their other co-productions. Either simulcast it or release it all at once, don't hold it hostage.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Still nothing about Hinomaru Zumou anime?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No. It got to 40 years for the impact it had on WSJ and in the manga scene. Not because of sales or the longevity. Sure, those help but those are not the only factors. Because if it was only sales and whatnot, Kochikame would not be in the magazine after its sales touched 40k. It's impact was beyond sales and numbers. Because if sales defined cultural impact, Kochikame in the last 10 years would be negligible.
Same as Gintama. Gintama's impact was beyond sales and numbers. As big as Kochikame? Hell no. As big as Naruto? Arguably yes. Stop downplaying Gintama, like how you're accusing others of downplaying Naruto.
That doesn't make any sense. Its IMPACT is that its among the longest running manga seriesin Japan with the highest volume count and the 3rd best selling series to run in the manga. I'm going to end this conversation with a simple answer which you have failed to answer WHAT HAS GINTAMA DONE TO EARN THE HONOR OF BEING ON THE COVER FOR ITS FINAL CHAPTER OVER NARUTO. I'm downplaying Gintama much like you are downplaying Naruto and Kochikame the only difference is that I actually have evidence to support their impact for WSJ while you haven't done any for Gintama.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I love Gintama. I think it's a more memorable series than, I dunno, Assassination Classroom (which is only remembered when we talk about bestsellers). But, c'mon, if the series gets cover in its final chapter, I'll automatically think "yeah, this new editor-in-chief is really changing things" LOL. Not because the title doesn't deserve it. In fact, all the series over five years old or with good sales should get cover at the end, don't you think? But that's not how the magazine works. That's not how capitalism works. There are even rumors that Slam Dunk only received a cover by mistake, the cover would be to celebrate the end of the match, but Inoue said "f*ck it" at the last minute, and finished the manga as a whole, leaving fans and mangakas like "what?!" (find his interview with Fujimaki). So, if Naruto, one of the most iconic titles ever, inside and outside Japan, didn't have what it takes to achieve such honor (something that even left Oda surprised), it's natural to think that the adventures of Gintoki don't have it either.

It would be like giving a star on the Walk of Fame to Rihanna, but not to Beyoncé.
Sorry, the TV was showing a music video of them here and I thought the comparison would be appropriate. XD
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If it gets the cover I can only say that its because it'll cap off the end of the 00's era of Jump since after it finished Haikyuu will be the third oldest title in the lineup as it started this decade. I love Gintama but in terms of "impact" I wouldn't put it on the same level of Slam Dunk (even though its better than a plethora of Jump titles from the 00's) though its resilience that we're actually arguing if its worthy enough for the mantle just goes to prove how far its come.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
If it gets the cover I can only say that its because it'll cap off the end of the 00's era of Jump since after it finished Haikyuu will be the third oldest title in the lineup as it started this decade. I love Gintama but in terms of "impact" I wouldn't put it on the same level of Slam Dunk (even though its better than a plethora of Jump titles from the 00's) though its resilience that we're actually arguing if its worthy enough for the mantle just goes to prove how far its come.
That's a good point/idea. I imagine Sorachi drawing Gintoki as a grandpa trying to run after Deku, Emma and Hinata. XD
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^But you make a good point about Slam Dunk getting the cover more than likely being a mistake if you remember how abrupt the ending is. Its only retroactively do we think "yeah Slam Dunk getting the cover for its final chapter makes sense" but I can only imagine people back then thinking it was bullshit.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
Is there any archive site for records of Jump manga volume sales according to Oricon?
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
@Newkerzy you know that MHA only made 1,385,052,699 billion yen in 2017 right? And that is with backing of the manga + home video + novel + music.

You're telling me Netflix will give it 5 billion yen for one anime, and half of it will go to one fight?
:notsure
I will just leave it at that since this isn't the thread to dive deeper into it.,
Including on ANN MHA make 3.250 billion yen on 2017 or did you mean the first half?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-12-23/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2017/.125682
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top