Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Logo font could be worse. The French one:

Though the JP font is still sooo good.
It looks like they picked a font that is found in Word by default and put there. XD
Nobody beats Japanese covers...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Act-age is causing a stir on 5ch mostly because the artist is a 20 year old girl. It gets pretty crazy in those threads especially since there's no moderator so I've seen whole threads derail with guys posting Shiro's tweets.
Is this good or bad? Causing a stir for other reason besides that the manga is good is not a bad sign. I really hope that Act-Age survives.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Worst for me was definently Reborn's. Made it feel like literally everything the series had done didn't matter and felt like a giant middle finger to Tsuna's growth as a character
Reborn was also a bad one. The reason why it isn't on my list is mainly because I had long since stopped caring about it for the longest time so the ending being bad didn't surprise me at all.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
When did you read part 5? Part 5 had awful translations and only recently was it fully translated. I remember being a bit confused, especially on KC's ability but my experience was a lot better when I reread it.

The final arc did make sense.
last year with the new translation. I like part 5, but the ending is too wild for me to comprehend.

--------------------------------

I finished Toriko. I likes it from start to finish. My favorite chapter would be 263, too emotional. 3 sentences to describe how i think after i read the manga

Toriko is super underrated. Making good use of physiology concept into the manga. That alone boosts Toriko several ranking in my top favorite Jump list. Shimabu made me want to throw my world building script to the trashcan after seeing his world building. Lastly, Toriko x Rin was just a cover up :cheez:3c:celebrate.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Is this good or bad? Causing a stir for other reason besides that the manga is good is not a bad sign. I really hope that Act-Age survives.
I'd like to think its a good sign but having a stir on 5ch because one of the creators is a 20 year old girl doesn't really provide anything remotely concrete. There are people discussing the story on matome sites and its mixed reactions. I personally want this to survive only for the fact that its very un-Jump-like. I want to see how series that aren't in the image of what we think when say Jump do. Bozebeats is also an interesting case because from what I've read, its essentially an SQ exorcist manga. If I recall correctly, the last one that became big in Weekly Jump with those elements was D-Grayman unless I'm forgetting a series. Its an interesting "crossover" experiment.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I liked the wedding chapter the most. Really nostalgic for me, gave Midora a great sendoff and shows the passion he has for his own series.

Also the chapter where Toriko & Co. first met Bambina. That entire chapter in real time took 0.1 seconds but in typical Shimabu fashion he narrated it perfectly. It was a wtf chapter that really shook me. A lot of "hype" moments in Toriko that made the timeskip & series in general really addictive.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Toriko's world building and depth were just incredible, and it's something we don't see all that often in Adventure manga. I really would've loved to see it come to its conclusion properly, because I do think he was asked to conclude the series within a certain time-frame (explaining the Another arc). The series was getting so good with Bambina, and seeing the rest of the full course tackled in full would've been just :hearts. Even so, Shimabu managed to pull off an incredible ending.

Of other stuff that ended recently, I'll say Naruto, Assass Class, and Nisekoi were all very good.
Naruto was everything a non-shipping fan could want, and the Boruto movie just made it even more perfect. Watching it in the cinema is one of the best anime experiences I've ever had.
I know some didn't like Assass Class's ending, but the build up and execution of it was handled very well imo.
Nisekoi is another controversial one I know. Can't remember all that much of it at this point, but I do remember the final 30 or so chapters being my favourite of the series. We got actual progression, and I remember thinking all the girls got reasonable conclusions to their relationships with Raku, despite thinking Komi would completely screw it up.

Having trouble thinking of others, but Kenshin also had a really good final arc and ending considering I didn't think much of the series up until that point.

Worst? Bleach. Just what the f***...
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Naruto ending was soooo lame. Pain was the final decent final enemy...maybe Sasuke...everything else was elongated garbage. Boruto...god help me, I'll never read it.
 

Winter Soldier

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2018
Messages
33
Reaction score
15
Country
Brazil
changing the subject again, what veteran authors of Jump do you guys want to see returning and doing what kind of manga?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Found this on reddit. A hiatus chart for Jojo.


Araki is a mad man. He's got some insane work ethic and somehow manages to stay young af.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
changing the subject again, what veteran authors of Jump do you guys want to see returning and doing what kind of manga?
Shimabukuro: Another adventure/battle manga
Kubo: Some kind of clothes designing manga
Kawada after he is finished with Hinomaru: A battle manga
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Found this on reddit. A hiatus chart for Jojo.


Araki is a mad man. He's got some insane work ethic and somehow manages to stay young af.
His working style really is something to note. He said that he doesn't pull all-nighters. Apparently he pulled all-nighters out of a "burning fighting spirit" when he first started as a mangaka but found that it would become "a battle with one's self". His schedule that he had back then was basically do the name on Sunday, spend Monday to Thursday doing the art and Friday and Saturday would be rest/research. He'd basically wake up around 10 AM every day. He says that this is the work-ethic he learned from Akimoto who went 40 years without missing the deadline.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Shimabukuro: Another adventure/battle manga
Kubo: Some kind of clothes designing manga
Kawada after he is finished with Hinomaru: A battle manga
Kawada doing a battle manga would be so exciting. If you want a clothes designing manga, I highly recommend trying Runway de Waratte, I don't know if it'll be your cup of tea, but whatever.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Wouldn't surprise me if Kawada did a Wrestling manga next, though a Battle manga would be most exciting (and probably have a bigger chance of success). He's mentioned how big a fan of it he is (though he likes combat sports in general), and how the name Kawada was actually a nickname he got in his school days after the Pro Wrestler Kawada Toshiaki.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is there only the one scan group doing HZ?

Not trying to throw shade on Edited Manga, I know it's a difficult job, but it's a weekly series. Two chapters a month just isn't cutting it.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Is there only the one scan group doing HZ?

Not trying to throw shade on Edited Manga, I know it's a difficult job, but it's a weekly series. Two chapters a month just isn't cutting it.
Sorry but that kind of is throwing shade. I'm happy it even is getting translations in the first place considering it's been mostly ignored in the West, despite being from WSJ. You can learn Japanese if you want to help with the translations if you aren't happy with their current pace.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Is there only the one scan group doing HZ?

Not trying to throw shade on Edited Manga, I know it's a difficult job, but it's a weekly series. Two chapters a month just isn't cutting it.
:ck
I want to rip you a new asshole right now, but I'll restrain... #ignorance.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sorry but that kind of is throwing shade. I'm happy it even is getting translations in the first place considering it's been mostly ignored in the West, despite being from WSJ. You can learn Japanese if you want to help with the translations if you aren't happy with their current pace.
You're assuming it's just a translation issue that's slowing down the process, but somehow I doubt that's the main reason.

If I had to guess, the traffic it brings in is on the lower side, so it's never prioritized, so they always put it on the back burner compared to their more popular series.

But watch, once the anime comes out and it's well received, suddenly the release schedule will inexplicably increase.

Anyway, I don't want it to seem like I'm being selfish. Assuming there was a subscription option from that particular scan group to prioritize HZ, I'd gladly pay it. Well, within reason.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
:ck
I want to rip you a new asshole right now, but I'll restrain... #ignorance.
Then please, explain it to me. Do you guys lack manpower or what?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
You're assuming it's just a translation issue that's slowing down the process, but somehow I doubt that's the main reason.

If I had to guess, the traffic it brings in is on the lower side, so it's never prioritized, so they always put it on the back burner compared to their more popular series.

But watch, once the anime comes out and it's well received, suddenly the release schedule will inexplicably increase.

Anyway, I don't want it to seem like I'm being selfish. Assuming there was a subscription option from that particular scan group to prioritize HZ, I'd gladly pay it. Well, within reason.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Then please, explain it to me. Do you guys lack manpower or what?
You're not being selfish, but ignorant, that's for sure.

There's no guarantee the anime will become popular or that it will be well received in the West, sports series have been doing better lately in terms of picking up in popularity, but they still mostly struggle. If the anime goes to Toei, I bet, even if the anime is good, that it won't be popular in the West for that reason alone. To be honest, I only see the anime taking off in the West it if gets the Production I.G treatment.
 
Last edited:

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
changing the subject again, what veteran authors of Jump do you guys want to see returning and doing what kind of manga?
Shimabukuro: gag manga
Hiroshi Shiibashi: mystery manga
Tite Kubo: battle manga or sport manga
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
changing the subject again, what veteran authors of Jump do you guys want to see returning and doing what kind of manga?
I want to see Togashi return more often with HxH.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top