Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
If they are doing 17 volumes, thats about 150+ chapter. 24-26 episodes wont be enough to adapt the whole thing.

Unless they pull something like with Durarara and release split cours
You're under the assumption that it's going to be a near panel by panel adaptation. I think it's unlikely and they'll "breeze" through the material.

A 30k seller isn't going to be getting split cours. Nothing really justifies that and I think they just want to adapt it in one go. If Toei is behind this then it's a different story and it could longer since doing 24+ episodes for them is easy.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Does anyone know how Black Clover is comparing to Toriko?
I vaguely remember seeing a comparison like that here in the past, but now the BC anime gotten further, and more volumes have been released.
I'm curious, but I'm pretty blank on how Toriko did.
Its vastly under-performing in comparison. People forget that Toriko was a top seller even before its anime boost.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Does anyone know how Black Clover is comparing to Toriko?
I vaguely remember seeing a comparison like that here in the past, but now the BC anime gotten further, and more volumes have been released.
I'm curious, but I'm pretty blank on how Toriko did.
Worst...a lot worst. Like what BC sells before dropping off the charts, Toriko did those numbers and more in just 3 days.

BC isn't even performing as well as World Trigger.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Oh god, don't mention World Trigger. It's never coming back ;-;
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,553
Reaction score
15,721
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I wouldn't compare Black Clover with Toriko in sales.

I mean, I remember all that Toriko pushing that Shueisha did, putting it all the time together with One Piece and Dragon Ball Z.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Pretty sure Toriko's initial popularity was higher than BC and the boost it got was also higher from the anime. I'd compare BC to something like Beelzebub at the moment in levels of popularity.
Also if I'm not mistaken, Toriko hit it's print number peak within a years time from the anime. 550k or whatever it was.
Its peak was 590k first print for vol 18 but unfortunately it never showed that on Oricon in the first month of release. That's another reason why along with recent first print data that I won't consider Oricon as an entirely reliable measure. OPM has a printing of 740k and Haikyuu is at 660k yet Haikyuu outsells OPM on Oricon. Granted, they're technically from different magazines within the same publisher but this gets into a conversation as to who it is that determines first printing. Is it the editor with data from the salarymen who make the rounds around the bookstores? Is it higher ups in Shueisha or is it some combination? We'll obviously never know this.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I wouldn't compare Black Clover with Toriko in sales.

I mean, I remember all that Toriko pushing that Shueisha did, putting it all the time together with One Piece and Dragon Ball Z.
Toriko was still a great seller prior to the push. I'm sure if it was in another studio's hands it'd be more or less the same.

Pre anime BC got a bigger push than Pre anime Toriko lol. BC had like 12 CP's in it's first year. Btw where was Toriko all the time with One Piece AND DBZ? Wasn't it only 1 crossover? Toriko had 3 crossovers with OP. Those crossovers boosted the anime's popularity more than the manga.

Toriko's manga crossover with OP did barely anything just like most manga crossovers we've seen in WSJ.
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I wouldn't compare Black Clover with Toriko in sales.

I mean, I remember all that Toriko pushing that Shueisha did, putting it all the time together with One Piece and Dragon Ball Z.
We already debunk that crossovers don't increase sale that much.
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
Both pale on comparison with HeroAca
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^Don't start. That's a trigger word here!

What interests more is if Black Clover benefits moreso through digital sales than hard copies and how much it effects its overall sales same with Heroaca and Neverland.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Its peak was 590k first print for vol 18 but unfortunately it never showed that on Oricon in the first month of release. That's another reason why along with recent first print data that I won't consider Oricon as an entirely reliable measure. OPM has a printing of 740k and Haikyuu is at 660k yet Haikyuu outsells OPM on Oricon. Granted, they're technically from different magazines within the same publisher but this gets into a conversation as to who it is that determines first printing. Is it the editor with data from the salarymen who make the rounds around the bookstores? Is it higher ups in Shueisha or is it some combination? We'll obviously never know this.
I don't think I understand why you think oricon is not reliable because they do their job quite well which is tracking the physical sales of a series.
The sales of a series reaches the print number or close to it only over many months of sales. No series ever reaches close to the print number in the first month or two. One Piece had a print number of 4 million a couple of years ago but you wouldn't see it in the charts because by the time it touched 3.2 million or something, it'd go off. And then when you see the year end sales, you'll see that volume reach somewhere around 3.7-3.8 million (I'm just throwing numbers around to give you an idea. These would not be the actual numbers). But the point is, if the series can reach a certain percentage of the print number by a certain duration, then there would be no reason for them to reduce the print numbers for future volumes because they'd have a way to track the trajectory of that volume and it's sales.

Haikyuu!! print number fell now since it's sales declined because for multiple volumes it was probably not able to reach the target sales it's volumes were supposed to reach by the target time. Print numbers are an estimate which Shuiesha and WSJ use based on the reception and how quickly the previous few volumes sold. They'd obviously have their means to acquire such data especially since they've been doing this for 50 years now.
If a couple of volume of a series does not meet that print number within a duration, the next set of volumes would have the print numbers cut. Sometimes print numbers are cut by 30-50k or sometimes by 70-100k like what Haikyuu!! got recently.

It's not really that hard. It's just data and numbers which are made available to Shueisha and WSJ.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Oh god, don't mention World Trigger. It's never coming back ;-;
Aw, man, this hurts.
These days I found the translation of databook's Q&A. I was happily reading it, then I found this:

Q.290 - Which chapters does sensei like the most and spent the most time on?
A: There are two chapters, chapter 79 and chapter 85. Chapter 79 was the climax of the large scale invasion, and I had already planned out what I was going to draw, however in the end the story took off in a complete different direction from what I had planned, but it still progressed naturally, for which I am grateful for. Chapter 85 was during the time when I couldn't move my body at all due to my neck problems, and I had designed that chapter to be the last chapter of this series, so it stirs up some deep emotions within me when I go back to read it.

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty safe saying it won't return.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I don't think I understand why you think oricon is not reliable because they do their job quite well which is tracking the physical sales of a series.
The sales of a series reaches the print number or close to it only over many months of sales. No series ever reaches close to the print number in the first month or two. One Piece had a print number of 4 million a couple of years ago but you wouldn't see it in the charts because by the time it touched 3.2 million or something, it'd go off. And then when you see the year end sales, you'll see that volume reach somewhere around 3.7-3.8 million (I'm just throwing numbers around to give you an idea. These would not be the actual numbers). But the point is, if the series can reach a certain percentage of the print number by a certain duration, then there would be no reason for them to reduce the print numbers for future volumes because they'd have a way to track the trajectory of that volume and it's sales.

Haikyuu!! print number fell now since it's sales declined because for multiple volumes it was probably not able to reach the target sales it's volumes were supposed to reach by the target time. Print numbers are an estimate which Shuiesha and WSJ use based on the reception and how quickly the previous few volumes sold. They'd obviously have their means to acquire such data especially since they've been doing this for 50 years now.
If a couple of volume of a series does not meet that print number within a duration, the next set of volumes would have the print numbers cut. Sometimes print numbers are cut by 30-50k or sometimes by 70-100k like what Haikyuu!! got recently.

It's not really that hard. It's just data and numbers which are made available to Shueisha and WSJ.
The Oricon chart we get is data collected from branches all over the country of around 40 stores including Amazon. There are plenty more stores that are not included such as Bunkyodo which is a decent sized store. This means that what we get is the data of what is selling at those locations. Obviously its done so as to get as big a picture as possible but what we see is only a part, a large part, of the total sales. This is why certain series have a stronger showing than other series like Haikyuu over OPM and Kingdom over TG. The print numbers we got this week show the reverse. I never said it wasn't reliable, just that its not as reliable as the gospel we hold it to be. Its the only chart we get with actual figures. Everything else is just a ranking which is why I hope Oricon updates itself with digital downloads this or next year. They did it with music sales and now just need to follow suit with book sales too.

Also, lots of series reach around 60-70% of their print numbers in the first 5 weeks. Haikyuu vol. 29 had a printing of 660k and it sold 636271 copies by the 5th week. There is no indication of it getting a reprint even though its ranking on Shoseki even now. Its just that after that they barely sell 10k, or even 5k. That means that they don't have to be reprinted as quickly. Stuff will eventually get reprinted but it goes to a warehouse. I know that Shueisha and WSJ determine it. What I want to know is which department in Shueisha it is that does that and we will never know that.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Both pale on comparison with HeroAca
In sales and popularity? Sure.

In terms of quality? Nah. At least, not in Toriko's case.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Toriko had a better start and did better than Black Clover during it's first 15 volumes.
│*69177 (6)│*86567│109701│129509│139756┃*,161,360 (*48)┃2008/11|トリコ 1
│*66847 (6)│*84007│105965│125124│135040┃*,155,233 (*48)┃2008/11|トリコ 2
│116789 (5)│153252│168285│------│------┃*,272,588 (292)┃2009/02|トリコ 3
│*83216 (3)│149487│166854│177023│------┃*,250,762 (206)┃2009/05|トリコ 4
│139650 (6)│186365│203960│212554│------┃*,253,887 (111)┃2009/08|トリコ 5
│*95058 (3)│157689│179648│------│196563┃*,196,563 (*31)┃2009/10|トリコ 6
│102567 (3)│167067│186473│197018│------┃*,276,810 (353)┃2009/12|トリコ 7
│129364 (4)│173254│188750│------│205310┃*,205,310 (*32)┃2010/03|トリコ 8
│*96436 (3)│164621│184113│195016│203125┃*,203,125 (*31)┃2010/05|トリコ 9
│*89353 (3)│158452│179822│------│200653┃*,200,653 (*31)┃2010/07|トリコ 10
│157727 (7)│190911│------│213269│------┃*,213,269 (*28)┃2010/10|トリコ 11
│143910 (5)│203495│222368│------│------┃*,451,853 (327)┃2011/01|トリコ 12
│109455 (3)│185564│209894│------│------┃*,430,048 (262)┃2011/03|トリコ 13
│175851 (7)│216554│------│------│------┃*,437,565 (231)┃2011/04|トリコ 14
│235017 (7)│283820│311498│------│------┃*,429,644 (140)┃2011/07|トリコ 15

│*38128 (4)│------│------│------│------┃*,*38,128 (**4)┃2015/06|ブラッククローバー 1
│*61918 (6)│------│------│------│------┃*,*61,918 (**6)┃2015/08|ブラッククローバー 2
│*43122 (2)│*80462│------│------│------┃*,*80,462 (**9)┃2015/10|ブラッククローバー 3
│*56951 (3)│*93866│------│------│------┃*,*93,866 (*10)┃2015/12|ブラッククローバー 4
│*60149 (3)│108503│------│------│------┃*,108,503 (*10)┃2016/03|ブラッククローバー 5
│*95799 (7)│118783│------│------│------┃*,118,783 (*14)┃2016/05|ブラッククローバー 6
│*78464 (4)│121023│******│146766│------┃*,146,766 (*25)┃2016/08|ブラッククローバー 7
│*98616 (6)│129115│------│------│------┃*,129,115 (*13)┃2016/10|ブラッククローバー 8
│*59814 (3)│113151│131749│------│------┃*,200,980 (171)┃2016/12|ブラッククローバー 9
│*66723 (3)│121879│140385│------│------┃*,140,385 (*17)┃2017/03|ブラッククローバー 10
│107704 (6)│136682│150383│------│------┃*,150,383 (*20)┃2017/05|ブラッククローバー 11
│*69741 (3)│128256│149552│------│------┃*,149,552 (*17)┃2017/08|ブラッククローバー 12
│100937 (5)│144506│165512│180954│194163┃*,194,163 (*33)┃2017/10|ブラッククローバー 13
│140431 (7)│182561│203018│222412│238929┃*,238,929 (*35)┃2017/12|ブラッククローバー 14
│102907 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,102,907 (**3)┃2018/03|ブラッククローバー 15
Toriko's anime started in April 2011. You can see that 3 months later volume 15 got a boost and reached over 300k. It also stayed that way until volume 29.
Black Clover's anime started in Octboer 2017. You can see that 5 months later it got a smaller boost compared to Toriko's. It's still not selling as much as pre-anime Toriko as you can see when you compare Toriko's 13th volume with Black Clover's 15th volume.
Other than that Toriko at it's peak in 2011 sold 4,665,634 volumes, in 2012 it sold 3,005,339, and in 2013 it sold 2,844,248.
Yeah, like i said before, BC won't even reach Toriko level of sales. Shueisha should stop pushing mangas just because they are a battle shonen and sell well in the beginning, and push things like Neverland and Kimetsu no Yaiba, mangas who didn't start selling well, but the "WOM" was so good, they are now a sucess.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
To be fair Toriko sold well initially it just wasn't near the success that justified all the shilling it got and its kinda sad that people solely hate it because of its marketing when it was a pretty solid manga. BC has already been criticized to and hell and back for its actual content before Shueisha's started to push it and its hated for not living up to the push and for not being a very good manga. We know with Neverland that the PUSH campaign works but to see Black Clover alongside all these recent titles that started a year ago is just sad at this point.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
BLack Clover sells 60-80% more digitally, so just looking at print numbers doesnt say the full story.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
BLack Clover sells 60-80% more digitally, so just looking at print numbers doesnt say the full story.
Unless you've got actual data to back this up, your comment has no substance.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
BLack Clover sells 60-80% more digitally, so just looking at print numbers doesnt say the full story.
So, Black Clover is the Destiny 2 of the mangas?


*no one will get that reference*
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
^ You're actually right. I did not get that reference at all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top