Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Tons of characters are getting good characterization this arc, I don't see your point
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Tons of characters are getting good characterization this arc, I don't see your point
Would you mind giving some examples of which Princes do you think are compelling? I am not trying to challenge your opinion here. I am genuinely curious because maybe I'm not seeing the same things you are.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There's an entire section for HxH discussion, please don't get this thread off-topic.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I agree with TM2. I love HxH, but sometimes characters act more like devices for strategies and plot.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
There's an entire section for HxH discussion, please don't get this thread off-topic.
Sorry, it was the last time.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
With Infinity War approaching closer and closer, wouldn’t it be awesome to have some type of Inifinity War with Jump characters. Would never happen, but a boy can dream
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
With Infinity War approaching closer and closer, wouldn’t it be awesome to have some type of Inifinity War with Jump characters. Would never happen, but a boy can dream
Horikoshi made a poster for the release of the last Star Wars movie. The EiC could ask for a Marvel Infinity War poster from him or somebody else.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Horikoshi made a poster for the release of the last Star Wars movie. The EiC could ask for a Marvel Infinity War poster from him or somebody else.
With Infinity War approaching closer and closer, wouldn’t it be awesome to have some type of Inifinity War with Jump characters. Would never happen, but a boy can dream
Drawing marvel poster is my boy Murata job.:verily Don’t take it away from him.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Horikoshi made a poster for the release of the last Star Wars movie. The EiC could ask for a Marvel Infinity War poster from him or somebody else.
Drawing marvel poster is my boy Murata job.:verily Don’t take it away from him.
Don't mean a poster. I mean some kind of limited series where all the characters collide and team up
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Even more of a reason to have Murata do it. Have you seen the posters of all the Jump characters he drew?
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
After having caught up a bit from what happened this week, I'm pretty pumped to see Noah's Notes' first chapter. I saw a couple random pages of it on 4chan, and it looked pretty interesting. In a way, the plot does kind of remind me of something similar in the overall premise of Dr. Stone, but only when examined from a very high level. The character designs look sharp, so that's another plus.

Looks like Act-Age had a pretty decent first ranking for something as different as it is. It'll be interesting to see where this one goes in the TOC over the next few weeks. Once the dust settles, I'll be curious to see who of Bozebeats, Jujutsu, and Ziga will remain standing. At least of of these 3 is going to be taken down by the others.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Last HxH post.
O


Just kidding.


Anyway, a complex plot does not necessarily mean a good plot, right? Especially if Togashi needs to spend pages and pages with walltexts to explain all this complexity. In fact, the best HxH moments for me are the simplest. That's where the author's storytelling really shines.
They are both walltexts but it's awful if you read the abysmal translations from MS.

VS


The viz is still lengthy but far more easier to digest. I would argue back with you on that on but again don't really wanna push it even further. I just wanted to clarify some misconception people have regarding it's lengthy text. It's not always a bad thing if done right.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Murata really knows how to put his own style on other artists' characters without making them ugly and weird.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
After having caught up a bit from what happened this week, I'm pretty pumped to see Noah's Notes' first chapter. I saw a couple random pages of it on 4chan, and it looked pretty interesting. In a way, the plot does kind of remind me of something similar in the overall premise of Dr. Stone, but only when examined from a very high level. The character designs look sharp, so that's another plus.

Looks like Act-Age had a pretty decent first ranking for something as different as it is. It'll be interesting to see where this one goes in the TOC over the next few weeks. Once the dust settles, I'll be curious to see who of Bozebeats, Jujutsu, and Ziga will remain standing. At least of of these 3 is going to be taken down by the others.
I think Act-age is safe. Bozebeats is dead and unless Jujutsu does something impressive in its second chapter then that will also probably bite the dust.
 

AllEyez

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
80
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Country
Mariejoa
Yeah that's everything happening in the current arc. Shits crazy lol

Seems like HxH does what OP does and have there arcs filled with subplots.

Being that Wano been hyped to being Marineford like I can expect OP to be in the same state when it gets to Wano but twice as more content considering it's a war arc to.

it just got out of this stage in this arc(WCI) but doing it to a smaller extent. And is wrapping up now. Lol
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Murata really knows how to put his own style on other artists' characters without making them ugly and weird.
Murata is also great at mimicking others style. His drawing of Goku and Frieza is amazing. Same with the Jotaro one.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Last HxH post.

They are both walltexts but it's awful if you read the abysmal translations from MS.

VS


The viz is still lengthy but far more easier to digest. I would argue back with you on that on but again don't really wanna push it even further. I just wanted to clarify some misconception people have regarding it's lengthy text. It's not always a bad thing if done right.
I follow the translation made by Viz. Mangastream is terrible with any manga.

It's time for Murata to make another poster but only with the post-2010 series.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Even more of a reason to have Murata do it. Have you seen the posters of all the Jump characters he drew?
I would love to have murata do it. I’m just saying I’m prosing an entire mini series, not JUST a poster lol
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think Act-age is safe. Bozebeats is dead and unless Jujutsu does something impressive in its second chapter then that will also probably bite the dust.
I understand that y'all don't like Bozebeats but being 4 or 5 places above the bottom doesn't automatically mean it's dead. Most of y'all know this too, I'm pretty sure if the placements of Act Age and Bozebeats were switched y'all would be saying the same thing
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I understand that y'all don't like Bozebeats but being 4 or 5 places above the bottom doesn't automatically mean it's dead. Most of y'all know this too, I'm pretty sure if the placements of Act Age and Bozebeats were switched y'all would be saying the same thing
I'd say as long as it doesn't hit rock bottom and stay there like Golem Hearts or Full Drive, it'll have a fighting chance. However, WSJ is competitive for new series and introducing several series of a similar genre at the same time will only make it more challenging for these new series to survive. I don't read that kind of stuff, so it wouldn't bother me of they all got replaced with new things, but I'll give them all a chance to succeed for readers of those genres. I just don't think that all 3 plus Kimetsu will thrive in WSJ at the same time (and Kimetsu is definitely staying).
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The correct answer is that I don't think anything because Act-Age has one ranking and Bozebeats has two. XD
But, yeah, given that Bozebeats only got worse and the rankings are in tandem with it, we cannot expect much from it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top