Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
An RxL anime would need Robo voiced by Yuno's (BLack Clover) voice actor. It fits him so well. (plus he always voices great character, Free's Haru, Ace of Diamonds Furuya)

Also, Jujutsu Kaisen is the perfect manga to tell that the author is an amateur, it's just super dull, cliche, and the main plot is kinda silly. The main character is like Full Drive levels of boring and emotionless.
This is harsh. Authors can grow over time, give the author a chance to grow.
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
Regarding the recent PVs. I can see this become a thing for them. Or at least I hope it will be.

They were made by editor Gyūdon. And the music was made by composer Lafin (Seiichiro Sugiura). Both freelancers.

I thought I'd write a little thing about them as I've been following them for a while and love their work.
On a list of what they have made for Shueisha you'll find these, among others. (They don't always work together)
These Jump Rising PVs:


And Ziga! coming up
Other Stuff:





Among many others.

Gyudon I believe popped up on Shueisha's radar due to Tokyo Ghoul.
In 2014, before the first Tokyo Ghoul series ended. Tokyo Ghoul was holding a MAD Contest. Where tons of people showed off their editing skills and there were a couple winners.
Gyudon took the number one placement with his Tokyo Ghoul MAD, Cry Bitterly.
This features only Gyudon's editing work, and not Lafin's music.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYzGv7i8sKU

As a result of winning the MAD Contest, I believe Shueisha got their eyes on him, and had him make the Official Trailer for Tokyo Ghoul's sequel, Tokyo Ghoul:re. This is also something Gyudon did without Lafin, as the music was the TG anime opening, Unravel.

And following the Tokyo Ghoul:re PV. Gyudon and Lafin worked together, on what I believe was their first time for Shueisha together, on the commercial for Tokyo Ghoul:re Volume 1's release. Spawning instant popularity for the duo, with even guitar covers made for the little clip of music provided for the volume CM.

Since then they've made all those commercials together for Shueisha, and more. (I didn't post everything.)
Also spawning collaboration they called, Young Jump x Gyudon x Lafin. Which they had a page for on the Young Jump site previously, but have since removed. The only thing I have left of it, is this screenshot basically detailing what it was.
The URL was: http://youngjump.jp/info/pv/ before they removed it.
I think it's pretty cool how they ended up in so much work with Shueisha, especially Gyudon after winning the MAD Contest. And now they're making the Jump Rising PVs. Possibly future ones too.

Gyūdon Portfolio: https://www.whitepuzzle.jp/
Lafin Portfolio: *Click*
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
An RxL anime would need Robo voiced by Yuno's (BLack Clover) voice actor. It fits him so well. (plus he always voices great character, Free's Haru, Ace of Diamonds Furuya)


This is harsh. Authors can grow over time, give the author a chance to grow.
oh the irony
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's in that time that I'm sad that I can't access Viz and I'll have to wait weeks to read. :(
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's in that time that I'm sad that I can't access Viz and I'll have to wait weeks to read. :(
You can use proxy to do your subscription. If you want to read on the PC, you will have to use proxy every time, but there's no need on the phone app. If you use Android, just install APKPure to install the app since it doesn't appear on Google Play in our region. After you install the Jump app, you will have no restriction. I use it and I'm about to renew my subscription.
International credit card is necessary.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Yeah I've been in China for the past 9 months and I've always been able to download issues fine on my tablet using their app, sometimes it's a bit weird with the VPN off if I'm trying to download it immediately after it releases but it's always fine if I wait long enough.

Also I prefer the android/iOS app to the PC version in general, it's just more convenient and works better.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I freaking love Noah's Notes, I hope Japan feels the same, but to me this is already a survivor(unless Japan fucking hates it obviously xD ). Really exciting first chapter, good premise and concept, I love the main characters, the art is really nice including the designs overall. This series sets itself up to be an interesting adventure and WSJ really needed something like that. There still is a risk factor for it and whether or not it manages to keep itself together is up to the mangaka. I like how the premise is set up in a way where there is a time limit set more or less and I wonder if it will be respected in our real world's time as well(the duration of the serialization). I thought the pacing was pretty good and I find that to be crucial for new serializations, especially nowadays.


I can't say I hate Jujutsu yet, or dislike it heavily, which is good? The art is still the strongest asset this manga has, which is better than nothing. The main characters aren't that interesting yet, but there is room for some development, especially with what was teased to be upcoming. I think this has more potential than most of the new manga from more recent serialization rounds. There's high chances it's another instant axe, but for now I value it higher than something like Bozebeats or Golem Hearts at least. There are some very eye-roll worthy moments in this, for example the "one in a million chance" or "on in a thousand whatever", those are cringey and show that this really is a rookie after all. The premise is also pretty questionable, but let's say it's acceptable for now, the next chapters will be a good way to get a better idea of what to expect, but I have a feeling no one will continue translating it after chapter 3, so I might keep up with the raws for a few weeks. This was better than the first chapter for sure and that first chapter and how boring it was for the first half might end up being detrimental for the series overall. The pacing in this second chapter was better and it set up things somewhat nicely.
 
Last edited:

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Regarding the recent PVs. I can see this become a thing for them. Or at least I hope it will be.

They were made by editor Gyūdon. And the music was made by composer Lafin (Seiichiro Sugiura). Both freelancers.

I thought I'd write a little thing about them as I've been following them for a while and love their work.
On a list of what they have made for Shueisha you'll find these, among others. (They don't always work together)
These Jump Rising PVs:


And Ziga! coming up
Other Stuff:
Yeah, his MVs are masterpieces, i hope we get one for the last volume of Tokyo Ghoul:RE





Among many others.

Gyudon I believe popped up on Shueisha's radar due to Tokyo Ghoul.
In 2014, before the first Tokyo Ghoul series ended. Tokyo Ghoul was holding a MAD Contest. Where tons of people showed off their editing skills and there were a couple winners.
Gyudon took the number one placement with his Tokyo Ghoul MAD, Cry Bitterly.
This features only Gyudon's editing work, and not Lafin's music.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYzGv7i8sKU

As a result of winning the MAD Contest, I believe Shueisha got their eyes on him, and had him make the Official Trailer for Tokyo Ghoul's sequel, Tokyo Ghoul:re. This is also something Gyudon did without Lafin, as the music was the TG anime opening, Unravel.

And following the Tokyo Ghoul:re PV. Gyudon and Lafin worked together, on what I believe was their first time for Shueisha together, on the commercial for Tokyo Ghoul:re Volume 1's release. Spawning instant popularity for the duo, with even guitar covers made for the little clip of music provided for the volume CM.

Since then they've made all those commercials together for Shueisha, and more. (I didn't post everything.)
Also spawning collaboration they called, Young Jump x Gyudon x Lafin. Which they had a page for on the Young Jump site previously, but have since removed. The only thing I have left of it, is this screenshot basically detailing what it was.
The URL was: http://youngjump.jp/info/pv/ before they removed it.
I think it's pretty cool how they ended up in so much work with Shueisha, especially Gyudon after winning the MAD Contest. And now they're making the Jump Rising PVs. Possibly future ones too.

Gyūdon Portfolio: https://www.whitepuzzle.jp/
Lafin Portfolio: *Click*
Yeah, his MVs are amazing, i hope we get one for the last volume of TG:RE
 
Last edited:

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Regarding the recent PVs. I can see this become a thing for them. Or at least I hope it will be.

They were made by editor Gyūdon. And the music was made by composer Lafin (Seiichiro Sugiura). Both freelancers.

I thought I'd write a little thing about them as I've been following them for a while and love their work.
On a list of what they have made for Shueisha you'll find these, among others. (They don't always work together)
These Jump Rising PVs:


And Ziga! coming up
Other Stuff:





Among many others.

Gyudon I believe popped up on Shueisha's radar due to Tokyo Ghoul.
In 2014, before the first Tokyo Ghoul series ended. Tokyo Ghoul was holding a MAD Contest. Where tons of people showed off their editing skills and there were a couple winners.
Gyudon took the number one placement with his Tokyo Ghoul MAD, Cry Bitterly.
This features only Gyudon's editing work, and not Lafin's music.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYzGv7i8sKU

As a result of winning the MAD Contest, I believe Shueisha got their eyes on him, and had him make the Official Trailer for Tokyo Ghoul's sequel, Tokyo Ghoul:re. This is also something Gyudon did without Lafin, as the music was the TG anime opening, Unravel.

And following the Tokyo Ghoul:re PV. Gyudon and Lafin worked together, on what I believe was their first time for Shueisha together, on the commercial for Tokyo Ghoul:re Volume 1's release. Spawning instant popularity for the duo, with even guitar covers made for the little clip of music provided for the volume CM.

Since then they've made all those commercials together for Shueisha, and more. (I didn't post everything.)
Also spawning collaboration they called, Young Jump x Gyudon x Lafin. Which they had a page for on the Young Jump site previously, but have since removed. The only thing I have left of it, is this screenshot basically detailing what it was.
The URL was: http://youngjump.jp/info/pv/ before they removed it.
I think it's pretty cool how they ended up in so much work with Shueisha, especially Gyudon after winning the MAD Contest. And now they're making the Jump Rising PVs. Possibly future ones too.

Gyūdon Portfolio: https://www.whitepuzzle.jp/
Lafin Portfolio: *Click*
Thanks for gathering this information! I was wondering who was making these great promotional videos, I'm glad these two ended up finding success where you wouldn't expect. Their work is very good and I hope Shueisha continue working with them!
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'm pretty curious to see how the Japanese and English poll results differ for WNL, harem manga polls are pretty interesting in that regard.
 

UnspokenCoconut

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Republic
Hurm, Noah's Notes, in my opinion, are quite boring (maybe just a little bit interesting at the end) but still cannot compensating the agony while reading it to reach that part, plus the unnecessary dialogues and lame unfunny jokes. And for the love of the god, stop mentioning "history" over and over and over again. C'mon Ikezawa, Mononofu and Kurogane have much better first chapter than this. (Kurogane > Mononofu > Noah's Notes)

Jujutsu second chapter feels like a bad soap opera to me. :3c
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jujutsu second chapter feels like a bad soap opera to me. :3c
But its dramatic, emotional, and pulls on the heart strings. Its also powerful seeing characters over come loss. Why so harsh?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Jujutsu ch 2 felt like something from Bleach to me more than anything else, can't really describe why exactly but the characters, sense of humour, atmosphere and such really gave me that impression for some reason
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Uruka needs to win this, such a lovely and beautiful character.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Uruka needs to win this, such a lovely and beautiful character.
You know that ain’t happening, she sunk her own ship not once but twice already

She’s a dead woman walking at this point
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I actually don't think anyone will win. It's labeled as a romcom, but it's more like romcom hijinks, with little to no development of the actual romance. And I actually prefer it that way. I don't want some forced drama or plot in my cute romcom manga.

Also, if I had a Viz subscription, I would vote for Nariyuki. He's too adorable.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Oh cool, thanks. I though it was a poll on the Viz site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top