A lot of the controversy is around what they supposedly did to Lando. Kasdan Sr and Jr have writing credits and they've both said pretty different things regarding Lando's sexuality. Though most of it seems rather after the fact and doesn't seem to be at all relevant in the actual movie.
Lawrence Kasdan left that question a bit open-ended, his son didn't. Basically saying he was pansexual. Though, none of this is really explored in the film and he himself even says he would have preferred exploring that sort of thing with a different character. Which makes the entire thing a bit silly-looking IMO.
But do we really need stakes? I know Han survives, I know Chewie survives, and I know Lando survives. But, what I don't know is what led to Han as we know and love him? Was he always out for himself until he met Luke and Leia? What we don't or didn't know is what led to the game that allowed Han to win the Falcon from Lando, and how Lando got the Falcon. I can't see how it'd really retcon anything.
Most Star Wars fans can be quite fickle and annoying though.
Recton stands for Retroactive Continuity. That doesn't just refer to a "changes that don't quite fit" it refers to the creation of continuity after an original was already established.
Which is exactly what this movie is, by it's nature, from start to finish. Even if you want answers to certain questions they are making up those answers for this movie and in so doing retconning the original.
I haven't seen the movie so I have no idea whether they did it well or poorly but, either way, I think a lot of fans just never wanted to see them touch this stuff.
A lot of the controversy is around what they supposedly did to Lando. Kasdan Sr and Jr have writing credits and they've both said pretty different things regarding Lando's sexuality. Though most of it seems rather after the fact and doesn't seem to be at all relevant in the actual movie.
The other big complaint I keep hearing is that they altered Han Solo to make him much more of a good guy.
The original Han Solo character wasn't that. He was kind of a scumbag who was ultimately changed by his relationship with Luke and Leia. That was his original character arc. But as someone who hasn't seen the movie I can't speak to how accurate that is.
The other big complaint I keep hearing is that they altered Han Solo to make him much more of a good guy.
The original Han Solo character wasn't that. He was kind of a scumbag who was ultimately changed by his relationship with Luke and Leia. That was his original character arc. But as someone who hasn't seen the movie I can't speak to how accurate that is.
It seems Disney taking existing, beloved characters and drastically altering them is a bit of a calling card when it comes to their Star Wars films at this point. Whoever they tap to write these films just can't seem to help themselves.
It seems Disney taking existing, beloved characters and drastically altering them is a bit of a calling card when it comes to their Star Wars films at this point. Whoever they tap to write these films just can't seem to help themselves.
I mean, honestly, Rogue One did really well but nobody really wanted that movie either. They just wanted more Star Wars. Now we have Solo which was a second movie nobody wanted. But this time people are being less charitable towards it.
Although I'm not terribly optimistic about the Boba Fett movie. At least that's something people were asking for. Not me certainly but I know that actually is on some fans wish list. I just don't get the Boba Fett fascination. He was kinda cool looking. He got eaten by a giant worm. The end,
What I want is a Jedi movie, a Sith movie, and a Space fighter movie. They haven't really done any of those. Like you would think the mainline movies would be the Jedi ones. But really those have had very little Jedi stuff. It's all been Rebel stuff instead. Which is super lame. People like me don't care about space hippies what they want is people to get stabbed with laser swords. Is that too much to ask?
Actually, a Solo/Fett movie would've been nice... but if they're planning on making more there's always a chance that they'll have Fett crossover with Han at some point.
ACTUALLY ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)...
Little known fact, but actually he didn't die.
Unless you’re a fan of the Expanded Universe, the fan favorite bounty hunter Boba Fett has held the distinction of suffering the weakest death in the entire saga ever since his demise in 1983’s Return of the Jedi. But it looks like Disney has wasted little time rectifying that, with the reveal trailer for the video game Star Wars Battlefront seemingly confirming – in official canon – that Fett did survive his encounter with the Sarlacc.
Actually, a Solo/Fett movie would've been nice... but if they're planning on making more there's always a chance that they'll have Fett crossover with Han at some point.
Well I guess we know what the Boba Fett movie is going to be about. His multi-year journey crawling through the digestive tract and out the anus of giant sand worm. It'll be like castaway except star wars flavored.. and also poop flavored.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Holy crap! That's kind of on brand for the current approach to the franchise if you think about it. I meant that as a joke but they might actually do it wouldn't they?
The only question is what do you name it? I'm thinkin' "Boba Fett's Perilous Passage" or perhaps "The Perilous Passage of Boba Fett"
Well I guess we know what the Boba Fett movie is going to be about. His multi-year journey crawling through the digestive tract and out the anus of giant sand worm. It'll be like castaway except star wars flavored.. and also poop flavored.
~
Back on topic...
Last movie I saw in May was Valley of Shadows:
I'd been looking forward to seeing it ever since that trailer came out.
The cinematography was beautiful and quite striking, as was the soundtrack and the main character/boy (his first ever acting role).
But honestly, I don't know what to say about this movie, because pretty much nothing at all happens during the whole thing.
I mean, the whole second half of the movie is
about the boy going out into the woods by himself to look for his dog, he meets a stranger and then he returns home... that's it.
I was expecting a horror-like vibe and tone (with the "werewolf" and all), but instead this was a very moody and contemplative kind of film.
There were some very tense moments where I was half-expecting a jumpscare, but there are absolutely none throughout the whole film.
There were a few parts where I was dozing off, but to be fair I started watching the film at 3h in the morning, and I always made sure to go back a couple of minutes to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I don't regret watching it one bit, but I was expecting something else entirely... what I got was still very good, but this is definitely not a film for the masses.
If you liked, for example, "Évolution" (2015), then you would probably appreciate this one but maybe not like it as much.
Lawrence Kasdan left that question a bit open-ended, his son didn't. Basically saying he was pansexual. Though, none of this is really explored in the film and he himself even says he would have preferred exploring that sort of thing with a different character. Which makes the entire thing a bit silly-looking IMO.
I'm confused because in the original trilogy, we've seen Lando flirt with Leia. I forgot if he flirted with other women though, but I don't think he flirted with any guy? Especially with Luke, even though he's a freakin' Jedi.
Recton stands for Retroactive Continuity. That doesn't just refer to a "changes that don't quite fit" it refers to the creation of continuity after an original was already established.
Which is exactly what this movie is, by it's nature, from start to finish. Even if you want answers to certain questions they are making up those answers for this movie and in so doing retconning the original.
I haven't seen the movie so I have no idea whether they did it well or poorly but, either way, I think a lot of fans just never wanted to see them touch this stuff.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The other big complaint I keep hearing is that they altered Han Solo to make him much more of a good guy.
The original Han Solo character wasn't that. He was kind of a scumbag who was ultimately changed by his relationship with Luke and Leia. That was his original character arc. But as someone who hasn't seen the movie I can't speak to how accurate that is.
But, how was the movie retconned if, as you claim, we don't know much about Han's past?
And it makes sense if they altered Han to be more of a good guy, given this movie takes place in the past and could have been back before Han became a scumbag scoundrel. If they showed his evolution to what he became in A New Hope, then that should quiet some critics.
But, how was the movie retconned if, as you claim, we don't know much about Han's past?
And it makes sense if they altered Han to be more of a good guy, given this movie takes place in the past and could have been back before Han became a scumbag scoundrel. If they showed his evolution to what he became in A New Hope, then that should quiet some critics.
Maybe. The original character arc was him discovering heroism. That was the original arc. Can it be altered into him rediscovering heroism by hardening him in a theoretical sequel to Solo that is pretty likely to never happen at this point? Maybe.
It would still be a retcon though because it puts a different spin on preexisting plot element. Any alteration after the fact is by the very definition of the term a retcon. The idea of a Solo movie is fabricating a past for him. They aren't telling a story that was always there. They are making something up after the fact. And it sounds like the embraced the idea of retcons to do it.
I'm confused because in the original trilogy, we've seen Lando flirt with Leia. I forgot if he flirted with other women though, but I don't think he flirted with any guy? Especially with Luke, even though he's a freakin' Jedi.
Lawrence Kasdan's son apparently just decided to make him pansexual because he flirts with a droid or something. This is a Disney movie, so of course his sexuality isn't at all explored in any meaningful way. Kasdan the Lesser just decided that he was after the fact. And some fans reacted harshly to this as a sort of move of pandering/tokenism. Because yeah, we only see Lando flirt with Leia previously (though one could say this was because Leia was basically the only women in the galaxy back then, but I digress), and nothing in novels points to this kind of thing. But of course, none of that is canon anymore due to Disney.
Although I'm not terribly optimistic about the Boba Fett movie. At least that's something people were asking for. Not me certainly but I know that actually is on some fans wish list. I just don't get the Boba Fett fascination. He was kinda cool looking. He got eaten by a giant worm. The end,
What I want is a Jedi movie, a Sith movie, and a Space fighter movie. They haven't really done any of those. Like you would think the mainline movies would be the Jedi ones. But really those have had very little Jedi stuff. It's all been Rebel stuff instead. Which is super lame. People like me don't care about space hippies what they want is people to get stabbed with laser swords. Is that too much to ask?
Apparently Ray Park (Darth Maul) spoke with some reporter somewhere and he was heavily hinting at there being an Obiwan movie in the works. Which, I guess sounds more interesting to me than a Boba Fett movie... but yeah.
Maybe. The original character arc was him discovering heroism. That was the original arc. Can it be altered into him rediscovering heroism by hardening him in a theoretical sequel to Solo that is pretty likely to never happen at this point? Maybe.
It would still be a retcon though because it puts a different spin on preexisting plot element. Any alteration after the fact is by the very definition of the term a retcon. The idea of a Solo movie is fabricating a past for him. They aren't telling a story that was always there. They are making something up after the fact. And it sounds like the embraced the idea of retcons to do it.
I saw the movie, and it wasn't bad. Few things were a bit off/weird though.
I think it's more of Solo "figuring out" that heroism gets him nowhere, and that he has to look out for himself.At least, that's the impression I got from Solo, though not as strong of an impression. The sequel will most likely complete Solo becoming a mostly selfish scoundrel.
what different spin is there though? I don't understand... it's not like they changed anything about Solo's past, did they?
Lawrence Kasdan's son apparently just decided to make him pansexual because he flirts with a droid or something. This is a Disney movie, so of course his sexuality isn't at all explored in any meaningful way. Kasdan the Lesser just decided that he was after the fact. And some fans reacted harshly to this as a sort of move of pandering/tokenism. Because yeah, we only see Lando flirt with Leia previously (though one could say this was because Leia was basically the only women in the galaxy back then, but I digress), and nothing in novels points to this kind of thing. But of course, none of that is canon anymore due to Disney.
Could be pandering and weird, but fans tend to get angry about anything anyway. They apparently bullied the actress that played Rose so badly that she left social media, if not Instagram.
Depends on how you define woman because there were plenty of women there, and probably enough female bots.
I wonder if we'll see Obi-Wan and Solo in one film, given who appears at the end of Solo.
Could be pandering and weird, but fans tend to get angry about anything anyway. They apparently bullied the actress that played Rose so badly that she left social media, if not Instagram.
Depends on how you define woman because there were plenty of women there, and probably enough female bots.
Being mean to Rose's actress isn't the same as complaining about changes to existing characters though. So grouping all negativity from fans into one big pot doesn't really accomplish anything. Unless you just want to be a Disney apologist and sweep any criticism under the rug.
It's an old joke. The amount of spoken lines in the original trilogy by women other than Leia is like 1 minute total.
Being mean to Rose's actress isn't the same as complaining about changes to existing characters though. So grouping all negativity from fans into one big pot doesn't really accomplish anything. Unless you just want to be a Disney apologist and sweep any criticism under the rug.
It's an old joke. The amount of spoken lines in the original trilogy by women other than Leia is like 1 minute total.
They weren't just mean to Rose, they were also mean to Daisy Ridley and Hayden Christiansen. I think Hayden even said he had mental issues because of the fans? I'm not sweeping any criticism under the rug, but no matter what their issues, why would you attack the actresses and actor? I mean, I'm guilty of criticizing Hayden, but I wouldn't bully him the way these fans did. Is it really the actress's fault for the bad writing?
They weren't just mean to Rose, they were also mean to Daisy Ridley and Hayden Christiansen. I think Hayden even said he had mental issues because of the fans? I'm not sweeping any criticism under the rug, but no matter what their issues, why would you attack the actresses and actor? I mean, I'm guilty of criticizing Hayden, but I wouldn't bully him the way these fans did. Is it really the actress's fault for the bad writing?
To point out how fans complain about anything that they don't like and can get nasty about it, like how fans reacted negatively to Lando being pansexual.
To point out how fans complain about anything that they don't like and can get nasty about it, like how fans reacted negatively to Lando being pansexual.
Those aren't the same thing though. Bashing an actor for whatever reason isn't the same thing as viewing writing as being lazy/inconsequential/pandering. And this does come off as you sweeping all criticism under the rug by saying "fans complain about anything". I mean, of course they do, but that says nothing about the actual topic.
Say what you want about Quentin Tarantino these days.
But... that cast for Once Upon in Hollywood, man.
Al Pacino, Brad Pitt, Leo DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, Kurt Russell, Burt Reynolds, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, Timothy Olyphant, Damian Lewis, Dakota Fanning..
Also, Luke Perry, Emile Hirsch, Clifton Collins Jr, Zoe Bell...
Now let’s just hope the script is up to par and this could be good.