Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Lol what a bit of feminine charm does, look at the views xD looking forward to ch. 9


Volume 1 will only cover up to chapter 4 and yet is sold out now on CDjapan, strange...
 

Eastgrove

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2014
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
714
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Fighting boredom and exposure is more entertaining than any number or size of monsters.

The strength of the Angler is greater than the strength of the swordsman. Get on his level, Musashi~

Highway woman is going to steal your stuff...and your heart! But mostly your stuff.
 

crystalblade13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
652
Reaction score
329
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Lol what a bit of feminine charm does, look at the views xD looking forward to ch. 9


Volume 1 will only cover up to chapter 4 and yet is sold out now on CDjapan, strange...
Sooo...orient is suddenly doing really well now? That's good to hear! Makes sense now that the adventure is finally getting started
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
Sooo...orient is suddenly doing really well now? That's good to hear! Makes sense now that the adventure is finally getting started
No.. idk why chapter 7 has very low views. The previous chapters all have more views than chapter 8, but regardless a ton of people read it on other manga reading sites or whatever they're supposed to be. So no there's no random popularity rise. At least not based on this.
 
Last edited:

crystalblade13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
652
Reaction score
329
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No.. idk why chapter 7 has very low views. The previous chapters all have more views than chapter 8, but regardless a ton of people read it on other manga reading sites or whatever they're supposed to be. So no there's no random popularity rise. At least not based on this.
I see, also- do you know how legit the whole "an emergency color spread to celebrate orients insane popularity" thing is? Cause I had heard it was having just an ok reception in Japan, and then suddenly it's so popular it needs an "emergence color spread"? Think that's legit, or is the magazine just pulling a stunt to make the readers think "you're missing out on the new big hit, better read it now and have all your friends read it too!" as an effort to increase its popularity?
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
I see, also- do you know how legit the whole "an emergency color spread to celebrate orients insane popularity" thing is? Cause I had heard it was having just an ok reception in Japan, and then suddenly it's so popular it needs an "emergence color spread"? Think that's legit, or is the magazine just pulling a stunt to make the readers think "you're missing out on the new big hit, better read it now and have all your friends read it too!" as an effort to increase its popularity?
Just a magazine hyping up it's products. They did the same with Magi. I remember when the Reim vs magic country war started they had a double spread cover with something like "The Greatest Adventure Manga of all time", or along the lines of that.
Not to say it's not actually popular I mean the volume will probably sell at the very least a couple hundred thousand just based on Ohtaka's reputation as a mangaka, but by no means does it mean the manga is breaking any records as of yet.
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Ch 10 spoiler images:




Short summary:

-Musashi and Kojirou infiltrate the Kosameda fort and run into Tsugumi, who tells them that she’ll return their bike and shows them around the fort.
-they find that the inside of the fort is an entire town. Since the kishin are scatterred across Japan, they need a moving fortress and a community to support them
-they get their bike back and an old man recognizes Kojirou’s family name after they introduce themselves to the villagers.

-Musashi and Tsugumi talk while watching Kojirou and the villagers and Tsugumi reveals that her family died and she’s not related to anyone in the bushidan. Ohtaka raises the first Musashi x Tsugumi flag? Musashi tells her they are the same. The chapter ends with Hideo returning and Taugumi panicking.
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
Musashi and Tsugumi talk while watching Kojirou and the villagers and Tsugumi reveals that her family died and she’s not related to anyone in the bushidan. Ohtaka raises the first Musashi x Tsugumi flag? Musashi tells her they are the same. The chapter ends with Hideo returning and Taugumi panicking.
And suddenly I have the urge to ship Tsumugi and Kojirou cause I don't want a dense protagonist scenario like in Every. Freaking. Shonen. Fantasy. Adventure. Manga (and at least Kojirou appreciates her assets).
 
Last edited:

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
By witch Musashi is still bitter at the takedadan, What's that on kojirou's back I just noticed, Tsugumi is too cute let all be gone.

First world building, I wonder about the concept of moving fortress, isn't that too large scale too early? it makes me nervous. but liked the side comment " a kishin fight wont end by one day/night" need to see more kishin... all the kids are wearing the bells so it's a trademark of the kosamedadan I see. and this was cute
On the musashi side we got a hint of back story, will we get the rest this arc or? also the romantic feel when she said she had no one I though he asked her to come with them xD I'm indifferent to shipping but musashi is more of an ikemen at the moment. as for the ending, I believe they returned from the fighting the kishin?

There is still the whole bandit thing to be addressed, guess will see the dansho next chapter.


In other news Vol.1 full cover!
When will he get his color spread look...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Edit: Sencescans released 9! (I advise sense scans followers to wait for them to release 10 as well)
http://sensescans.com/index.php?topic=4642.0

but for none-sensescans people, their notes at the end are so nice to read check them out!
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Magi and Orient ch 10 spoilers:

After reading ch 9 and seeing how unaffected Musashi was by her seduction, I thought what if Kojirou x Tsugumi is the intended pairing? I thought Ohtaka is intending to create a lot of sexual tension between them and Musashi’s love interest is a girl from the enemy camp. It seems I could be wrong. I was neutral to AliMor, but wanted Ohtaka to try something different this time around.

It seems Kojirou’s father is known outside the village, though I noticed Naotora didn’t seem to recognize Kojirou’s family name.

The island of Kina reminded me of Howl’s moving Castle, and the bushidan fortresses reminded me of Kina.

As for the cover, I’m disappointed that Ohtaka didn’t draw the Tatsuyama village in the background like I was hoping, but the patterns on Musashi’s clothes are nice. I hope the second cover will have Tatsuyama village or the Kanemaki house as the background.
 
Last edited:

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Hmm but if we're following a magi parallel Tsugumi x kojirou is AliMore? since musashi takes aladdin spot. Aladdin actually had a lot of intraction with mor-san early on but since he was a child we didn't have to factor him in xD That and, there is a possibility for other people to show up and mess any romance there is like hakuryuu and kougyoku. BUT back to musashi and tsugumi my beggest worry if she's blond bc then we'll have another poster couple that are yellow and red, that's a big nono: Overlap! ( I was annoyed all throught ch.9 while she calls musashi red and he didn't call her any color, I think she's pink...? blue since they're followng a blue kishin this time..?)

I think the old man will be addressed soon, WHAT IF: kosamedadan or other human dan wiped kojirou's family's dan out.

Kina is such a cool concept, Alma Toran runes,,, curse you magi! Well now that you mention it we have yet to know the power source, bikes asides, what powers the moving fortress?.... poor calcifer

The pattern on the cloth takes focus :tem I wait for it to be incorporated in the story and shield us from musashi incomprehensible pants. Ohtaka background are a sight though, I wish she'd release them without the chacater (like magi.30)
 

Eastgrove

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2014
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
714
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Thot begone!

I don't think she's heroine material. Too shameless. Reminded me of Queen Maneater from Magi.
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
Thot begone!

I don't think she's heroine material. Too shameless. Reminded me of Queen Maneater from Magi.
She is. She has the face for it and that's kinda what matters the most. Ohtaka just needed her to grab our attention in the beginning xD. I doubt she'll be doing that left and right from now on (then again what do I know). And hell naw she ain't even close to queen blondie. Speaking of which I wonder what her hair color is.. no way she's blonde like Kojirou, I'm guessing it's light blue, that or white.
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Magi and ch 10 spoilers:

I meant, the development of Musashi x Tsugumi as a pairing could be similar to Alimor. Alibaba wanted a girlfriend while Musashi was educated that dating is a waste of time, but the pattern of them hooking up with someone could be similar. Tsugumi might spend most of the series developing feelings for Musashi with Musashi being oblivious to them until someone points it out to him. Kojirou fell for her trap, but I can see Tsugumi being more interested in Musashi because he was the first one who wasn’t affected, assuming she tried that tactics with others before them, which I hope not.

It’s still too early to tell. Ohtaka might also intend for the main duo and Tsugumi to be just friends or ‘more than friends, less than lovers’.
 
Last edited:

Eastgrove

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2014
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
714
Gender
Male
Country
United States
She is. She has the face for it and that's kinda what matters the most. Ohtaka just needed her to grab our attention in the beginning xD. I doubt she'll be doing that left and right from now on (then again what do I know). And hell naw she ain't even close to queen blondie. Speaking of which I wonder what her hair color is.. no way she's blonde like Kojirou, I'm guessing it's light blue, that or white.
Ohtaka's heroines in Sumomo were shameless. Of course that manga was toilet trash. I don't think I have the patience to put up with vulgar girls like them anymore. I mean, Magi had some really nice female characters, but Ohtaka DIDN'T USE THEM. We basically went 4 years without Morgiana even being in the manga. Literally more than half of Magi's run.

They had this girl show up, flash her tits, and now she's eating out of the hand of some other guy in a mobile fortress. That's a heroine? She reminds me of that masked girl that showed up after Hakuryuu's duel with Alibaba. She's not the heroine.
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
Ohtaka's heroines in Sumomo were shameless. Of course that manga was toilet trash. I don't think I have the patience to put up with vulgar girls like them anymore. I mean, Magi had some really nice female characters, but Ohtaka DIDN'T USE THEM. We basically went 4 years without Morgiana even being in the manga. Literally more than half of Magi's run.

They had this girl show up, flash her tits, and now she's eating out of the hand of some other guy in a mobile fortress. That's a heroine? She reminds me of that masked girl that showed up after Hakuryuu's duel with Alibaba. She's not the heroine.
Um... okay? Guess you're going more for what a "heroine" should typically act like, I just meant that she's the main female lead in this story. And lol the masked girl? Big difference right there.. Tsumugi, for one, is actually a character.

In 2 chapters she has already shown some at least some semblance of personality, and is not a walking plot device robot (with big boobs cause hey why not) that you use when you write yourself into a corner and then discard when you don't need it like miss masked girl over there.
 

Eastgrove

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2014
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
714
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why should Musashi and Kojirou have to put up with her? She's cruel, manipulative, and violent. She is not a good traveling companion nor does she perform some vital function. Musashi and Kojirou don't even have a particular place they want to go. They don't need a guide or someone wise to the way of the world. They're better fighters than her, they're better at living off the land. She is practically speaking worthless and a proven liability.

She also doesn't have a particular dynamic with either them. She is a Bushi or a Bushi wannabe. She brings nothing new to the group. She has no interesting background or goal.

If she were an independent character who was robbing them in order to survive herself, that could be forgiven. She is not. She is the harlot of a Bushi lord. She is no different from Yamato's fangirl cousin from Magi. Giving her an extended scene with the protagonists and extra personality doesn't change what she is.

Btw, Musashi's outlook on girls is not a healthy one. Alibaba complained about not having a girlfriend, but he had a good view of relationships and marriage, due to the fact he was the discarded orphan bastard of the king. Musashi has a one tracked mind. This is a flaw he has to work on, but I doubt he ever will.
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
I wonder what people though of that slave girl who tried to kill AliAla early on the story, or the arrogant princess with those eyelashes that killed ugo,
being judgemental of a fictional character morality? or is it because she acted indecently? Really just see how the story plays out. She's been out for two chapters and the reception I sew was pretty good. You can let her arc complete at least then rant as much as you'd like. As for her boldness, remember shounen magazines targets males for primarily audience , even if it's not your cup of tea. Also just to say, this story might turn out to something good or popular but still not your or my or anyone who came from magi thing, you can't force love! but the art is pretty so we stick with shallow logic
 
Top