Mag Talk - Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021) | Page 127 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kunoichi no Ichi! 2 releases final chapter next issue

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/17160
Not sure if this is an error in Google Translate or not, but this article made it sound like it might move the the Young Jump app like a lot of the other series on here have been doing. Is there any truth in that, or was that just a translation error/speculation?

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Not sure if this is an error in Google Translate or not, but this article made it sound like it might move the the Young Jump app like a lot of the other series on here have been doing. Is there any truth in that, or was that just a translation error/speculation?
It's speculation.

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I mean if they’re gonna speculate I’d have expected Kunoichi no ichi no ni no san
I have a feeling....... This is more likely to happen than one would think...

revo68

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Apparently Satsuki-chan ended in Weekly Young Jump Issue #08

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

What the heck? I'm not sure if there's any magazine that's more ruthless to stick around in than Weekly Young Jump. I swear this magazine gets like 20 new serializations per year, and hardly any seem to last over a year. There's a pretty big gap right now in start dates between successful old series and newer series that's really only being bridged a bit by Dorokei and Snack Basue

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

It was a nice ending, at least, with a cute Chibi Maruko-chan reference along the way.
Still felt like a sudden end with how many series just move to TnYJ and whatever phone thing Yuryo Shojo Family Yan ended up moving to. A straight up ending feels rare

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan

Inumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
1/21-1/27 Shoseki Ranking estimations. (10 days)
11,571 Batuque #1
10,068 Batuque #2
*5,303 Shadow House #1
*5,224 Dorokei #4

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
1/21-1/27 Shoseki Ranking estimations. (10 days)
11,571 Batuque #1
10,068 Batuque #2
*5,303 Shadow House #1
*5,224 Dorokei #4
I thought Dorokei was a hit??? Yikes. Horrible for Shadow House as well. Young Jump can't catch a break with new manga recently.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought Dorokei was a hit??? Yikes. Horrible for Shadow House as well. Young Jump can't catch a break with new manga recently.
I mean by Young Jump’s print standards that’s pretty good, and notable growth. If you’re not Kingdom, Golden Kamuy or Kaguya-sama you don’t tend to light up the print charts

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean by Young Jump’s print standards that’s pretty good, and notable growth. If you’re not Kingdom, Golden Kamuy or Kaguya-sama you don’t tend to light up the print charts
Aren't they in Top 5 by print? Now I am not surprised at why their newbies fail to stick. I thought it was just Shueisha being ruthless as always, but below 10k in 10+ days is simply unacceptable really.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aren't they in Top 5 by print? Now I am not surprised at why their newbies fail to stick. I thought it was just Shueisha being ruthless as always, but below 10k in 10+ days is simply unacceptable really.
I mean the series I mentioned tend to be, but volumes for other series vary. It becomes a matter of either building up over time from a humble base or a series getting adapted to keep it safe. Like Dorokei is growing, slowly, but I doubt it’d be making it to a year without that drama keeping it alive.

And below 10k isn’t that bad. Mid-tier titles from all sorts of magazines hit that sorta level and are just fine

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I’m not sure if Rikudo or Bungo have ever even charted, and look at how long they’ve survived. Even if they have, it’d only be a handfull of times.

Inumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Aoyama-kun was selling around 5-6k and even got an anime. I just hope Tiempo manages to last more than a year, volume 1 did around 8k.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m not sure if Rikudo or Bungo have ever even charted, and look at how long they’ve survived. Even if they have, it’d only be a handfull of times.
According to Shoseki, last Volume 16 of Bungo was on the 56th place for Week 1 (50th place sold estimated 18,700 copies) with 8k in Week 2 so it's reasonably stronger than someone might have thought. Not a Kaguya-Tokyo Ghoul Re- Kamuy- Kingdom player, but sells enough to stay alive.

Rikudou is doing meh but better than Dorokei and Shadow House though, last volume 6-7k in first three days, with other 7 days earning around the same, totaling 10k+ for 10 days.

But yeah, they are certainly not going to chart on Oricon, if that is what you meant.

Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this tends to go down poorly on uh.... OTHER threads, but it’s worth mentioning that digital sales tend to be more of a thing for seinen titles over shonen, so they’re probably making up decent ground on there too (maybe mot Dorokei, which charts.... okay on ebj/bookwalker/amazon, but Rikudo and Shadows House are ones I’ve seen comfortably charting whenever a new volume is out, especially with Shadows House having a full-colour edition for 100円 more)
Like we’re not talking the ridiculous difference between digital and print that a series like Goldfish Wife has, but certainly something worth noting

Status
Not open for further replies.