Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Beast Children's big problem is its art and paneling. It feels really placid and plain, like there's objectively not that much to really look at in the images. It makes the manga an overall placid experience.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Beast Children's big problem is its art and paneling. It feels really placid and plain, like there's objectively not that much to really look at in the images. It makes the manga an overall placid experience.
outside that is a set of things that we have already seen in other sport manga. I'm surprised you like it so much without complaining about the clichés.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
outside that is a set of things that we have already seen in other sport manga. I'm surprised you like it so much without complaining about the clichés.
I mean, I can't really complain about cliches directly, given that with spoken it's basically a glass ceiling as to what you can exactly do on a base level. It's just Beast Children hasn't really shown any outstanding qualities outside of that.
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Tokyo Shinobi Squad might be one of the worst new battle series in a long time. The characters are unlikable stock tropes and the elevator fight in ch3 was stunningly inept, with no sense of time, space and environment that would be necessary for a scenario like this. Seems like the author just wanted to introduce new guys cool Beast power quickly, even though it made no sense to use it in that situation. The rest was walls of lame exposition per usual. Pass.

Beast Children continues to be promising, though it's at a critical point right now and the art is sub-par. Could go either way, rly.

Yui Kamio apparently heading for the end was a bit of a shame since the writing kinda started to find it's footing. Still won't miss it much.

Sayuki on the other hand... I'll be sad when it gets axed, mostly for (B)Estelle. Glad that she at least got the center focus near the end (unless some miracle happens and the series gets another shot).

With Double Taisei I honestly have no idea what's going on anymore and just checked out.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This batch is totally ending
 

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
Double taisei was my favorite, but this new chapter confused me, I don't understand what the author wants to do with this manga, and generally it's not a good sign, so :
-Beast children.
-TSS.
-Samurai 8 ans double taisei.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Double taisei was my favorite, but this new chapter confused me, I don't understand what the author wants to do with this manga, and generally it's not a good sign, so :
-Beast children.
-TSS.
-Samurai 8 ans double taisei.
that's even better. A series that you read without knowing where you are going is better than one that is predictable.
chainsaw man proves this argument.
 

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
that's even better. A series that you read without knowing where you are going is better than one that is predictable.
chainsaw man proves this argument.
Yep, except that for double taisei, it seems the author himself doesn't know where he's heading with the story.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
that's even better. A series that you read without knowing where you are going is better than one that is predictable.
chainsaw man proves this argument.
Chainsaw Man still has a logical throughline to events, though. Denji wants to feel some boobs - Power uses him in an attempt to get her cat back, Denji is suffering an existential crisis over having no goal in life - Makima gives him the goal of killing the Gun Devil, Gun Devil is set up as main villain - Heroes are attacked by the Gun Devil's subordinates.

By comparison, all Double Taisei is is nonsensical. We've jumped between so many differing plot ideas that it's become incomprehensible, to the point that the events of just three chapters feels meaningless.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Out of 2019 newbies (including the Chainsaw-Neo-Higuma batch), I have dropped 5/9 before their ending (Taisei, Kamio Yui, Saiyuki, Ne0lation and Higuma), 1 liking it (Chainsaw), 1 finding it decent at best (Tokyo Shinobi), 1 improving for me but mediocre (Beast) and 1 following just because of the mangaka but is horrific (Samurai 8).


Chainsaw Man still has a logical throughline to events, though. Denji wants to feel some boobs - Power uses him in an attempt to get her cat back, Denji is suffering an existential crisis over having no goal in life - Makima gives him the goal of killing the Gun Devil, Gun Devil is set up as main villain - Heroes are attacked by the Gun Devil's subordinates.

By comparison, all Double Taisei is is nonsensical. We've jumped between so many differing plot ideas that it's become incomprehensible, to the point that the events of just three chapters feels meaningless.
Kamio Yui is even worse. The mangaka started it as a deliquent (but not serious) manga, then turned into a rom-com without ecchi, then became a pure gag with next to no romantic elements, then it shifted to ecchi, then turned to serious action with some occasional ventures to exposition random chapters.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Unfortunately, 'The Last Sayuuki' chapter screams axed to me.
About Double Taisei, maybe I got what the author is trying to do: Sei awakens with blows to the head, Tai awakens with kisses. If it is really this, so it was done in a very poor manner.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Out of 2019 newbies (including the Chainsaw-Neo-Higuma batch), I have dropped 5/9 before their ending (Taisei, Kamio Yui, Saiyuki, Ne0lation and Higuma), 1 liking it (Chainsaw), 1 finding it decent at best (Tokyo Shinobi), 1 improving for me but mediocre (Beast) and 1 following just because of the mangaka but is horrific (Samurai 8).




Kamio Yui is even worse. The mangaka started it as a deliquent (but not serious) manga, then turned into a rom-com without ecchi, then became a pure gag with next to no romantic elements, then it shifted to ecchi, then turned to serious action with some occasional ventures to exposition random chapters.
I'm didn't make it all the way through ne0, Samurai, Beast, or Tokyo. I made it through Higuma and thought it was decent, but not amazing. I wouldn't have minded if it stuck around a bit longer. Saiyuki is starting to lose me, but since it's probably near the end, I'll stick it out. Chainsawman I read purely for Denji/Power shenanigans. I can honestly barely tell what's going on in those fight scenes half the time.

Kamio Yui is a wild ride. I truly can't figure out if I like it as a whole or not since you never know what you're going to get each chapter. Just when I thought it finally found its footing, this most recent chapter again randomly lounges the story elsewhere with no prior warning. I'm going to stick it out, but I wish it would've just stuck with being a double harem and balancing out the hijinks that result. Double Taisei is equally if not more unpredictable, but in a negative way. As others have mentioned, the author just seems to be haphazardly changing the whole plot of the series. I may continue peaking at it just to see what happens next.

Needless to say, the serializations from this year have bummed me out a bit overall. Samurai's 99% will sell well, even if its subsequent volumes each decline, and Chainsaw's improving steadily, but WSJ has been striking out quite a bit lately. With Soma ending, and World Trigger and Boruto (and Jimoto :3c) transferring out, I'm hoping they can turn things around eventually.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah not really sure what the writer of Double Taisei is doing (i mean I guessed before it was reversing them but then the writer subverted expectations two chapters ago and now back tracked on it, what)
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I mean...at least we're probs getting another batch soon?
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
That's the OP of a VN.
Name of anime?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

About Ikezawa, I'm not someone who cheer for mangaka to don't get success but it's really difficult to not do that when he was an asshole like that with Medaka Box and Reborn. Granted, that was like 7 years ago so he probably changed this mentality.. which jesus, it was really disrespectful to the other people working.
Bro dont feel pity man,, there are enough mangakas dying to even being in A shonenjump magazine, let alone Weekly. You should be happy af and blessed to be next to the pillars who shaped the genre and regocnized, meanwhile that f**** gonna trash them like that?. Hahahaah nah fuck him
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
You guys Think that Saiyuki or Yui Kamio have any chance of surviving thanks to this batch? I would like to think it tho with both of them hitting rock bottom since forever has nulled any chance of it
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
You guys Think that Saiyuki or Yui Kamio have any chance of surviving thanks to this batch? I would like to think it tho with both of them hitting rock bottom since forever has nulled any chance of it
I'd like to stay optimistic for Saiyuki until it actually ends or its first volume sales are low enough to kill any remaining hope (whichever comes first) but it really doesn't seem likely at this point.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
You guys Think that Saiyuki or Yui Kamio have any chance of surviving thanks to this batch? I would like to think it tho with both of them hitting rock bottom since forever has nulled any chance of it
There is a possibility one of these may survive in 3 cases:
1) one of Taisei, Tokyo or Beast or more bomb really bad and sinks fast
2) Hinomaru Zumou ends in the meantime (which I find unlikely)
3) They only start 2 newbies, one replacing the oneshots and one replacing the axed manga

Of course they could just be even patient and wait until the newest batch stabilizes and then decide what to do.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'd like to stay optimistic for Saiyuki until it actually ends or its first volume sales are low enough to kill any remaining hope (whichever comes first) but it really doesn't seem likely at this point.
Jump doesn't care about the sales of newbies if the readers reception is bad. At best it will match Gokutei Higuma's numbers, which would still be atrocious for WSJ. I don't see it being an outlier, only veteran works that were placed poorly in TOCs sold well. Literally the only flop example for a newbie mangaka would at best be Cross Account, which at least outsold Kimetsu and Act-Age Vol 1s for the first week. Also AKABOSHI (but a poor example as a manga now 10 years old)

Even Hiroshi Shiibashi's Illegal Rare did barely meh in sales despite being a followup to Nura and that was 5 years ago. I can only fear how low will Yui go now that buzz around Shiibashi is lost.
 
Last edited:

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
You guys Think that Saiyuki or Yui Kamio have any chance of surviving thanks to this batch? I would like to think it tho with both of them hitting rock bottom since forever has nulled any chance of it
Honestly, I think I'd rather stick out Saiyuki and Yui than see if any of the newest 4 turn it around for me. Excluding Samurai, I think all of the rest, including Yui and Saiyuki, will probably be gone by the end of 2019. Anyone know how the reception of DT, Beast & Shinobi has been in Japan so far?

Jump doesn't care about the sales of newbies if the readers reception is bad. At best it will match Gokutei Higuma's numbers, which would still be atrocious for WSJ. I don't see it being an outlier, only veteran works that were placed poorly in TOCs sold well. Literally the only flop example for a newbie mangaka would at best be Cross Account, which at least outsold Kimetsu and Act-Age Vol 1s.
Cross Account seemed to almost have a strange cult following. Its sales technically could've been considered good enough to squeak by while the major flops would get axed. Honestly, I was a little surprised it didn't get transferred to Jump+ given the whole "relationship through an app/phone" premise. It may have fit well reading it on a mobile platform, similar to how iShoujo's sequel lasted for so long on Jump+
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top