Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's not wrong to criticize a series you don't like, though. It also isn't wrong to disagree with the criticism and/or keep enjoying it nonetheless.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I'd rather read another MHA vs Black Clover debate and I don't even care about Samurai 8. If it was something new sure but every week is just the same people making basically the same points over and over again. At least MHA vs BC was only like once a month.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Maybe mangaplus will remove the free chapters when they have a solution in place to access them if you want to. If they do it now, the chapter is just unavailable, which doesn't seem like a good idea.
free chapters have been removed, havent you noticed BLeach and etc?
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
free chapters have been removed, havent you noticed BLeach and etc?
they mean of Jump+ series. So far Jigokuraku is the only series I'm aware of that removes chapters out of those.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Based Buranchi I've seen you cut through the bs on this thread multiple times, I appreciate your comments here since you've made yourself a pretty solid, reputable dude.
That's very kind of you to say. I just don't agree with the narrative being presented in here in regards to defending Samurai 8. If you defend it, you're apparently a Kishimoto fanboy. I post way more on gamefaqs then here, but anyone who's even slightly familiar with me knows that I hated Naruto with a passion, after Pain was defeated.

Now, I can understand the criticisms people have with the series. I agree that it's slow-paced. I can even see why people would dislike Hachimaru, or why they'd dislike the lack of characterization and/or worldbuilding. My thing though, is that I'm sold on the overall premise, the general aesthetic, the fact that it's primarily katana fighting based, the fact that it'll span an entire universe, etc.

Those are things I've wanted to see for a while. Hell, I remember speculating on the Bakuman/Death Note guys hopefully doing something akin to it before Platinum End was announced. So yeah, to reiterate, while I see the problems people mention, I'm willing to overlook it because Kishi is essentially making something I've wanted for years now. Plus, the fact that Kishi only has to write this go around (I know about the paneling and storyboarding also, etc) gives me more hope that he'll eventually turn out something really special. Generally speaking, I prefer writer-artist combos.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Highly anticipating future MHA vs BC vs S8 debates.
Oh please. S8 has already reached God level tier, on the same level as One Piece and DBZ. MHA and BC are all just fodder in front of S8
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
That's very kind of you to say. I just don't agree with the narrative being presented in here in regards to defending Samurai 8. If you defend it, you're apparently a Kishimoto fanboy. I post way more on gamefaqs then here, but anyone who's even slightly familiar with me knows that I hated Naruto with a passion, after Pain was defeated.

Now, I can understand the criticisms people have with the series. I agree that it's slow-paced. I can even see why people would dislike Hachimaru, or why they'd dislike the lack of characterization and/or worldbuilding. My thing though, is that I'm sold on the overall premise, the general aesthetic, the fact that it's primarily katana fighting based, the fact that it'll span an entire universe, etc.

Those are things I've wanted to see for a while. Hell, I remember speculating on the Bakuman/Death Note guys hopefully doing something akin to it before Platinum End was announced. So yeah, to reiterate, while I see the problems people mention, I'm willing to overlook it because Kishi is essentially making something I've wanted for years now. Plus, the fact that Kishi only has to write this go around (I know about the paneling and storyboarding also, etc) gives me more hope that he'll eventually turn out something really special. Generally speaking, I prefer writer-artist combos.
I respect your take. It's hard to say if much of my complaints are rooted in bias or not, I personally find a lot of Samurai 8 on a presentation and narrative levels unappealing, with way too little done to make the manga actually interesting or likable. I honestly can't really see anyone getting genuinely attached to the manga, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. It's...honestly hard to say.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I honestly can't really see anyone getting genuinely attached to the manga, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. It's...honestly hard to say.
You ARE wrong. Plenty like the manga for what it is.
Move on now, please?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I respect your take. It's hard to say if much of my complaints are rooted in bias or not, I personally find a lot of Samurai 8 on a presentation and narrative levels unappealing, with way too little done to make the manga actually interesting or likable. I honestly can't really see anyone getting genuinely attached to the manga, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. It's...honestly hard to say.
I don't know if I'd say I'm attached to the series, but I am enjoying it. Ultimately though, it's all preference and/or taste. For instance, people love One Piece, but despite many attempts to get into the series, I never could. The silly cartoonish nature of the series, as well as the... unique character designs, just did nothing for me, even though there was certain things I did like/enjoy.

You just like something or you don't. Something resonates with you, or it doesn't. I just tend to discuss things I like instead of pointing out things I dislike. The latter is inherently negative, and I'd much rather be in a positive mindspace. I get enough negative shit in the real world, you know?
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I respect your take. It's hard to say if much of my complaints are rooted in bias or not, I personally find a lot of Samurai 8 on a presentation and narrative levels unappealing, with way too little done to make the manga actually interesting or likable. I honestly can't really see anyone getting genuinely attached to the manga, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. It's...honestly hard to say.
We know that already. Like, a lot.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
Highly anticipating future MHA vs BC vs S8 debates.
Weird that nobody brings One Piece into these arguments like back in the Big 3 days. Is just generally agreed to be better now or just not comparable?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Weird that nobody brings One Piece into these arguments like back in the Big 3 days. Is just generally agreed to be better now or just not comparable?
OP is so long and massive that it's basically impossible to compare.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Legit question, how big do you think Samurai 8 will be able to get? Because I honestly can't see it having much growth, even with Jump pushing it like crazy.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Weird that nobody brings One Piece into these arguments like back in the Big 3 days. Is just generally agreed to be better now or just not comparable?
Better is subjective, but I will say this. No other manga series has the level of detail in regards to worldbuilding as One Piece does. Like, nothing even comes close. Toriko had the potential for far better worldbuilding, but it never got the chance to live up to that potential.

As I said previously, I never could get into the series fully, but even I admit that there's TONS about it for fans to love, and I fully understand why they love it so much.

So yeah, it's basically a foregone conclusion. You can like other series more, but your preferred series won't have the same level of content, and that kinda commands respect, IMO.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Legit question, how big do you think Samurai 8 will be able to get? Because I honestly can't see it having much growth, even with Jump pushing it like crazy.
I can see it potentially being very huge. In fact, I'm willing to bet the first official ranking will be in the top 3, if not first place. I could totally see a YYH into HxH type event happening.
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yes, you very much do assume. It was never stated the princess is required for the bone sword. In fact, we've seen two Samurai already that didn't even have princesses that were fully capable of using their bone swords.

The true Samurai thing is alluding to something else.
Indeed, on a reread it doesn't seem to be about the sword specifically. Though while I might have been snarky about it, that visual metaphor being used in the middle of that long infodump about the importance of princesses can easily bring that to mind.
Again, the text-heavy presentation and mass of rather arbitrary rules don't do the series any favors in terms of readability.

Obviously you are wrong. Considering you mentioned "all male?" contradicts fully with your statement, as that suggest females don't need a princess. And Daruma already hinted it: he doesn't have a conviction yet and is still worried for his father. Whatever his conviction is to protect the princess, make her Queen of the Universe or something else, is still yet to be seen.
Mate, that's one hell of an opening sentence, haha.
In any case, it was directly stated that princesses are literally girls trained for that position that at some point received a special artifact. At this point there is no reason to assume that Samurai are not all-male, requiring a female princess to unlock their full potential. Though I would be glad to be proven wrong by future chapters or, alternatively, have the princesses at least take an active role in some way, instead of just being protected like the dialogue suggested so far.
Sadly Kishi's track record in that regard hasn't exactly been ideal.

Your defensiveness about a rather tame opinion has taken me a bit aback, tbh. I rarely visit MH these days, much less post here, and mostly wanted to check out data and evaluation on recent series, and on that chance also put out my view on the current batch.
I don't see why being critical of a series here is reason for that much salt. Doing so in the S8-thread would most likely upset the fans much more.

To bring some perspective, I do like Kishimoto a lot (for all my frustrations with late Naruto and questionable character priorities, I love the series as a whole in hindsight) and was genuinely excited that he could use his experience and reputation to create a series with a carefully built world, without the need to rush and create hype from ch1.
But, for me, this ain't it, at least not at this point (reasons were already stated). I will still continue to casually follow it and maybe the frontloaded-lore will pay off in the long con and they will be able to create a manga that only its unique situation allows.
If not then... I guess I will drop it once the ironic reading stops being funny enough.

In any case, that's it from me about S8. Felt like I should at least give a response one the rare occasion of posting here again.
 

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
In any case, it was directly stated that princesses are literally girls trained for that position that at some point received a special artifact. At this point there is no reason to assume that Samurai are not all-male, requiring a female princess to unlock their full potential. Though I would be glad to be proven wrong by future chapters or, alternatively, have the princesses at least take an active role in some way, instead of just being protected like the dialogue suggested so far.
One of the first pages of ch1 showed a female samurai, Yasha, master of Daruma. I guess I don't need to say more.

My defense is not totally only at you, but mostly at people like Spectre, who each weak repeat the same thing, how bad, how boring, etc the series is and how he can't understand how someone can like it. Obviouslyl he haven't heard of different taste and that his opinion is not a fact.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Weird that nobody brings One Piece into these arguments like back in the Big 3 days. Is just generally agreed to be better now or just not comparable?
Personally I just separate the new from the old. One Piece is a 20+ year old series. If I were asked to compare One Piece with another Shonen series, the only series that immediately come to mind for me are series that were up and coming when One Piece was up and coming. Naruto, Bleach, HxH, etc.

When I think of MHA I immediately think to compare it to things that are being released around the same time frame as it.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Much of the issue with S8 is simply one of expectations. There was so much riding on the manga, and yet, when Chapter 1 came out, my response was "That's it?". Feeling the series hasn't been living up to the insane standards its set for itself is more or less the underlying theme behind all my, and I suspect everyone's, complaints surrounding the manga.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top