Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan

Anyone seen this?
All I see is a an old small poll on which sports manga people liked the best along with the age bracket and male/feamale reader percentage, no where does it say it won best sports manga in japan, why are we stil linking random twitter accounts in here?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
All I see is a an old small poll on which sports manga people liked the best along with the age bracket and male/feamale reader percentage, no where does it say it won best sports manga in japan, why are we stil linking random twitter accounts in here?
Man just have fun with the newspaper poll, and give over on the twitter hate. Don’t be a bore.

————————

Mostly I’m glad to see Rookies there, as well as all the baseball comics present in general. That stuff’s my bag
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ah yes a newspaper poll, very slow news day.
 

revo68

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 21, 2018
Messages
566
Reaction score
4,120
Age
32
Country
Singapore
Its not just manga though. Its sports series of any medium with School Wars (Drama) at 12th place, Rocky (Movie) at 13th place, Water Boys (Movie) at 18th place & Rikuo (Novel) at 20th place being in the Top 20. But having manga dominating the Top 20 just shows how much sports manga have an impact on people if done well.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Major is my favorite sports manga (well, the anime, but still), so I'm happy to see it well-placed. It's a good list overall, but it's funny how guys don't read the shoujo ones at all and apparently there's no young person who cares about Kyojin no Hoshi
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Its not just manga though. Its sports series of any medium with School Wars (Drama) at 12th place, Rocky (Movie) at 13th place & Rikuo (Novel) at 20th place being in the Top 20. But having manga dominating the Top 20 just shows how much sports manga have an impact on people if done well.
Hn, didn't realize that.

I think honestly the most impressive part is Haikyu's placement. Ranking 8th on a list full of such iconic and acclaimed series shows just how beloved it is.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Major is my favorite sports manga (well, the anime, but still), so I'm happy to see it well-placed. It's a good list overall, but it's funny how guys don't read the shoujo ones at all and apparently there's no young person who cares about Kyojin no Hoshi
I mean, Star of the Giants is well over 50 years old.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hn, didn't realize that.

I think honestly the most impressive part is Haikyu's placement. Ranking 8th on a list full of such iconic and acclaimed series shows just how beloved it is.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



I mean, Star of the Giants is well over 50 years old.
Yeah, I know, but there are series that are 30 or 35 years old with some young people liking it, there could be a few people. Not even people in their thirties care. Just kinda interesting.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Yeah, I know, but there are series that are 30 or 35 years old with some young people liking it, there could be a few people. Not even people in their thirties care. Just kinda interesting.
I'd say the effect is that it's like Kinnikuman, it's considered a classic which molded the genre into what it is now, but it's so rough and unrefined that very few modern readers would have an interest in it. Of course, I know literally nothing about Star of the Giants, so I could be talking out of my ass there.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I'd say the effect is that it's like Kinnikuman, it's considered a classic which molded the genre into what it is now, but it's so rough and unrefined that very few modern readers would have an interest in it. Of course, I know literally nothing about Star of the Giants, so I could be talking out of my ass there.
Early Kinnikuman was rough but it improves a lot with ultimate muscle.
 

Kaizoku_82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
100
Reaction score
226
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So, is anyone sad about Soma having ended? Anyone miss it?
Well, I definitely am, I feel like there was still so much potential for the series to go to, and i was actually enjoying the Blue arc until it started to get rushed, Asahi and the Handling of Erina were the only actual issues, everything else was great, it'll definitely be missed in the magazine for me (vast minority speaking here).
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Early Kinnikuman was rough but it improves a lot with ultimate muscle.
I mean, that's technically correct, but Kinnikuman still isn't something that would come off as appealing to modern readers. The start is basically unreadable, the artstyle is very off-putting, the protagonist acts nothing like a traditional Jump protagonist and there is very little in the way of logic or cohesion to what happens. Now, this isn't me shitting on the manga, but I am saying it's unlikely modern readers could take to it.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Any news of Spy X Family sales?
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
SPY X FAMILY is the best new Jump series since The Promised Neverland and it isn’t even in the main magazine
I mean, aside from having the same name, Jump+ is pretty different since it has a different focus compared to WSJ, it has varied schedules as it's digital and even different editors so it's not like they're the same thing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

A lot of the serialized "newbies" have been working on one-shots and stuff for a while. But recently Jump has had quite a few "new manga by a 17 year-old!" "new one-shot by a genius 19 year-old!" And my main message is that this isn't the way to go. Young author = good for young audience is definitely not the case in general. If Nakano is trying to push this aspect I think he should read Bakuman.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Thoughts on MangaPlus Chapters
  • Kimetsu 2nd best chapter
  • Act-age shocking but interesting
  • Highly enjoyed Tokyo Shinobi Squad. To counter some of the criticism, the author said his goal was "to create a fun series". And for readers like me he definitely succeeded.
  • Beast Children being pretty good as usual.
  • Saiyuki was good until the battle continued again and the nyoibo just... you know. Nyoibo'd. Again. At least in Bleach everyone has shikai and bankai, and there are quincies and stuff. Saiyuki's battle system is really way too basic.
  • Yui was really well-written this chapter!
  • Kaisen had a godly chapter. Great great character dynamics. Best chapter this week
Thoughts on 2019 serializations

Chainsaw Man (チェンソーマン) - very interesting and fast-paced. Thoughtful and gritty and crude and down-to-earth.#1, 2019presentTatsuki Fujimoto
ne0;lation (ne0;lation Neoreishon) - meh all-around. Technology can be exploited to be far more fun to read about imo.#2, 2019#22-23, 2019Tomohide Hirao, Mizuki Yoda
Gokutei Higuma (獄丁ヒグマ) - also meh all-around. It had heart though.#3, 2019#24, 2019Natsuki Hokami
Saigo no Saiyūki (最後の西遊記) - great characters and emotions but terrible pacing and battles and plot.#14, 2019presentDaijirō Nonoue
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui (神緒ゆいは髪を結い) - all over the place but manages to be consistently either funny, interesting or even impactful. which is all a good manga needs to be.#15, 2019[100]presentHiroshi Shiibashi
Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru (サムライ8 八丸伝 Samurai Eito: Hachimaruden) - going nowhere and not very enjoyable but clearly building up to something big. still hopeful.#24, 2019[101]presentMasashi Kishimoto, Akira Okubo
Futari no Taisei (ふたりの太星) - somewhat interesting but it has a stunted storytelling style and there are almost no stakes and character motivations. forgettable characters = axed series.#25, 2019[101]presentKentaro Fukuda
Beast Children (ビーストチルドレン) - average all-around. will probably survive if it gets better#26, 2019[101]presentKento Terasaka
Tokyo Shinobi Squad (トーキョー忍スクワッド) - very fun!
I don't remember any case of manga on Jump made by people below 20 yo. What are you talking about?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I mean, aside from having the same name, Jump+ is pretty different since it has a different focus compared to WSJ, it has varied schedules as it's digital and even different editors so it's not like they're the same thing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



I don't remember any case of manga on Jump made by people below 20 yo. What are you talking about?
I feel like SPY X FAMILY is a series that could realistically be in WSJ. Whether or not it would be successful, idk. But I could see it being serialized
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Does anyone know how much manga sales outside of japan ? I know that it's like 1% of japan per series but do you have the number ?
I don't know numbers for overall market but France, China and South korea are the biggest from what I remember.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
France is probably the highest,if I am not mistaken.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I know One Piece, Naruto and Death Note have like 50,000~100,000 copies printed every volume in Vietnam. And the moderate Jump success has anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 copies printed. Not counting reprint or re-released btw. Like right now they are re-releasing Captain Tsubasa

Just a speculation but i'm pretty positive Southeast Asia market is much bigger than the US, since manga is dirt cheap (like 1$ and you get one volume).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top