Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,715
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Out of curiosity, Rain, What do you think about Yu-gi-oh?
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
I never watched the Yu Gi Oh anime, but it was one of the first manga I read when the Viz vault became a thing. It was a really fun series, silly for sure, but there was a lot of heart behind it that made for some great moments though. I can't help but feel bad for Jounochi though, he was a great duelist but just not as good as all the people with Egyptian artifacts and god cards.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,715
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Honestly don't have one yet.
You should give a chance. One of best Jump titles ever and also one of most important Jump titles.

I never watched the Yu Gi Oh anime, but it was one of the first manga I read when the Viz vault became a thing. It was a really fun series, silly for sure, but there was a lot of heart behind it that made for some great moments though. I can't help but feel bad for Jounochi though, he was a great duelist but just not as good as all the people with Egyptian artifacts and god cards.
Final was the weakest duel of the Battle City Tournament (still very enjoyable, Obelisk directly attacking Marik was so kino).

Also, Yugi vs Kaiba is still for me the best rivalry Shonen Jump has ever had.


PD: We remember how Jounochi ''beat'' Marik, but we don't remember how Rashid also ''beat'' Jounochi in quarter-finals.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Correct me if I'm wrong, but YGO was the first hit battle manga which showed conflict without actual physical fights, right?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
No one talks about YGO season 0 sadly. Understandable since most of us grew up with duel monsters...

 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
No one talks about YGO season 0 sadly. Understandable since most of us grew up with duel monsters...

I read that manga pre-Duel Kingdom part too, and I liked it a lot. Though the beginning was fairly repetitive even if unique.

Ironically the manga started picking up with the first Kaiba vs Yami card duel lol.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
Asahi and the Handling of Erina were the only actual issues, everything else was great
Eh, what about the whole concept of "underground, criminal chefs" with the Noirs, the poor handling of literally every side character, the stupid introduction and plot around Mana, the baffling and unworthy tournament structure of BLUE and the shokugekis from the Noir chefs (e.g. cooking with a chainsaw sword, TNT, and a morning star, kidnapping participants with the knowledge of the tournament staff)? That was all pretty bad, imo.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Can we all at least agree that Hachimaru's Princess companion seems like she'll be adorable?

At least she had a better introductory chapter than Sakura, for sure.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
I dont see it, how much does eden sale? Better than most of its magazine?
This is the WSJ discussion thread. Eden's Zero isn't a WSJ manga and therefore discussion about it doesn't belong here.
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I remember really liking Duel Monsters when I was younger but I only watched until the horrendous filler arc about the dragons (which tbh, its hilarious) so I never really watched the final of the series, just a few episodes of the final arc.

The only thing I know about the 4Kids fiasco is trough the abridged series that has Yugioh, because what I remember, the spanish dub wasn't really bad unlike the english one. With GX is the same.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
You should give a chance. One of best Jump titles ever and also one of most important Jump titles.



Final was the weakest duel of the Battle City Tournament (still very enjoyable, Obelisk directly attacking Marik was so kino).

Also, Yugi vs Kaiba is still for me the best rivalry Shonen Jump has ever had.


PD: We remember how Jounochi ''beat'' Marik, but we don't remember how Rashid also ''beat'' Jounochi in quarter-finals.
Yu-Gi-Oh is a very interesting case beacuse Duel Monsters is huge in the West (hence why Yugi and Kaiba both made it to Jump Force), but most people aren't familiar with the original manga.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I only saw the original Yu-gi-oh anime. The manga is on my list to read tho
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,715
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
YGO 0 was kino. I read the manga (anime got a filler girl for some reason which almost does nothing to the plot). The RPG against Bakura was amazing.



Without counting One Piece, Naruto, or short anime like Death Note, I think Yu-gi-oh has been the only manga in 90s and 00s to be completely animated (despite having some important changes respect to manga). Not Bleach, Toriko, Slam Dunk, D.Grayman, Reborn!, Kenshin, etc managed to get all the entire manga animated.

The next long manga to get full anime I think it were Kuroko no Basket and Gintama. Tbh I dunno if Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield21, Ichigo100% and Prince of Tennis got complete anime adaptations.

Also, the manga before YGO to get full anime I think it was Yu Yu Hakusho, but not sure at all. Well, Saint Seiya got the complete animation in 00s with the Hades OVAs.

Now things are changing. I wouldn't be surprised if Hero Academia gets complete animation.
 
Last edited:

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I remember really liking Duel Monsters when I was younger but I only watched until the horrendous filler arc about the dragons (which tbh, its hilarious) so I never really watched the final of the series, just a few episodes of the final arc.

The only thing I know about the 4Kids fiasco is trough the abridged series that has Yugioh, because what I remember, the spanish dub wasn't really bad unlike the english one. With GX is the same.
Isnt Waking the Dragons recognized as one of the best arcs in Yu-gi-oh OG anime? I remember loving the arc even if it was a filler.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

YGO 0 was kino. I read the manga (anime got a filler girl for some reason which almost does nothing to the plot). The RPG against Bakura was amazing.



Without counting One Piece, Naruto, or short anime like Death Note, I think Yu-gi-oh has been the only manga in 90s and 00s to be completely animated (despite having some important changes respect to manga). Not Bleach, Toriko, Slam Dunk, D.Grayman, Reborn!, Kenshin, etc managed to get all the entire manga animated.

The next long manga to get full anime I think it were Kuroko no Basket and Gintama. Tbh I dunno if Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield21, Ichigo100% and Prince of Tennis got complete anime adaptations.

Also, the manga before YGO to get full anime I think it was Yu Yu Hakusho, but not sure at all. Well, Saint Seiya got the complete animation in 00s with the Hades OVAs.

Now things are changing. I wouldn't be surprised if Hero Academia gets complete animation.
Oh the Bakura Monster World arc. Final one before the manga rebooted as well. Loved it. Also it has to be said how the art improved so quickly here.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,549
Reaction score
15,715
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Isnt Waking the Dragons recognized as one of the best arcs in Yu-gi-oh OG anime? I remember loving the arc even if it was a filler.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Oh the Bakura Monster World arc. Final one before the manga rebooted as well. Loved it. Also it has to be said how the art improved so quickly here.
Yeah, Takahashi art has always been great, but has evolved into something more great. Is amazing the evolution of his art in the manga.

 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
So, is anyone sad about Soma having ended? Anyone miss it?


I'm definitely not cynical -_- Please don't mistake my snarky replies to those who don't know when to stop discussions or to those spreading false data as cynical.
TAKE THAT BACK.

I live in Canada as well. To quote Liam Neeson "I will find you"
MB. If you come find me though it'll be a fun time
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I mean, aside from having the same name, Jump+ is pretty different since it has a different focus compared to WSJ, it has varied schedules as it's digital and even different editors so it's not like they're the same thing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



I don't remember any case of manga on Jump made by people below 20 yo. What are you talking about?
They're trying to promote a lot of young artists via one-shots and GIGA and Jump+ which I think is an unhealthy mindset, that's all I mean. e.g. Masaoki Shindou.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
MB. If you come find me though it'll be a fun time
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



They're trying to promote a lot of young artists via one-shots and GIGA and Jump+ which I think is an unhealthy mindset, that's all I mean. e.g. Masaoki Shindou.
How dare they use their secondary platforms to give up and coming creators exposure! What sacrilege!

Also, haven't they always been doing this.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
How dare they use their secondary platforms to give up and coming creators exposure! What sacrilege!

Also, haven't they always been doing this.
Yup! After all, rookies have to start somewhere, and GIGA is part of a long tradition of seasonal magazines that do just that. Jump+ is a bit of a different story, but a pretty cool one as the digital platform has enabled their editorial to take more risks on younger or more unusual talent. All positive stuff really
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top