Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
What about Beast and Tokyo? Also kind of curious to know about what Japan thinks of Kamio Yui (though the fact it sinked to bottom 1 tells enough)
Well we have already something like yuuna and we never learn. Japan dont care about, "YUI kamio we are outdated from the 2000's"
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I can see CSM standing in the mid row
Mid row before it even gets to the first anniversary? Doubt it.
Well we have already something like yuuna and we never learn. Japan dont care about, "YUI kamio we are outdated from the 2000's"
Kamio Yui is not a rom-com like the other two are though. It "tried" to be a one during a span of 3 chapters.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Can I ask why you keep citing this person? In what way are they qualified to definitively speak on matters concerning manga popularity in Japan?

What is their methodology? What criteria are they using? Because if it's sales figures or ToC placements, they're not really required.
They're part of a group that tracks fans reception through things like TOC, sales, what people vote for and various other things. I think they're a relatively reliable source.

Well we have already something like yuuna and we never learn. Japan dont care about, "YUI kamio we are outdated from the 2000's"
Disagree there, Yuuna and WNL are very much modernization's of TLR and Nisekoi, with Yuuna having more "plot" (in both definitions of the term) and WNL lacking massively stretched out storytelling.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
Since we're talking about covers, I got a feeling HeroAca is going to take #32. It's been like half a year since the last color page, it'll be coming back from a break and it's the 5th anniversary.

Also, Kamio Yui is clearly a supernatural battle manga, guys.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Also, Kamio Yui is clearly a supernatural battle manga, guys.
I would hardly call it a supernatural battle manga though. There hasn't been a SINGLE SUPERNATURAL BATTLE in this manga for all the chapters so far. It's a mix of everything.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
The actual thing Yui Kamio is trying to be I think is a semi-gag manga like Gintama, Sket Dance and Beelzebub all were, only that format is already in very poor form because of Jump's changes in environment, but it's written by someone who no clue what he's doing.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
I would hardly call it a supernatural battle manga though. There hasn't been a SINGLE SUPERNATURAL BATTLE in this manga for all the chapters so far. It's a mix of everything.
I'm just making fun of them calling it that before it started XD.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Now that I think about it, has there been a veteran mangaka with a first hit and a third disaster like Yui and Shibashi? Such a tragic case...

I'm just making fun of them calling it that before it started XD.
I see, I remember that mess. If only it was what was promised...
The actual thing Yui Kamio is trying to be I think is a semi-gag manga like Gintama, Sket Dance and Beelzebub all were, only that format is already in very poor form because of Jump's changes in environment, but it's written by someone who no clue what he's doing.
"No clue what he's doing" is a perfect summary of Kamio Yui. I fail to understand how editors let him serialize this knowing this may be his final chance in the magazine. Oh well, there are WYJ, SQ or Jump+.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yui Kamio don't know what it wants to be. It has what, 15 chapters at this point and it had 5 genres already. It's why I dropped the manga since it has no clear focus. The author is very lost to me.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I think the really noticeable thing about Yui Kamio is that it breaks the thing which those three series all had in common, which is that they actually tried to build a comprehensible world around the characters. Yui meanwhile jumps between things which are "mildly ridiculous" and "immersion shattering" on a regular basis, likely because Shiibashi has no idea what he wants the manga to be.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
They're part of a group that tracks fans reception through things like TOC, sales, what people vote for and various other things. I think they're a relatively reliable source.
Have you ever actually like divulged anything about your source, though? Like everything said about them or by them seems incredibly vague so its hard to take anything they apparently say at face value? It’s a bit “my uncle works at Nintendo”/“my girlfriend is in Canade”, yanno?

Like whatever I’m sure there’s something to it but it’s not a useful source in this shape or form.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Have you ever actually like divulged anything about your source, though? Like everything said about them or by them seems incredibly vague so its hard to take anything they apparently say at face value? It’s a bit “my uncle works at Nintendo”/“my girlfriend is in Canade”, yanno?

Like whatever I’m sure there’s something to it but it’s not a useful source in this shape or form.
I believe in anonymity of sources. I've worked in journalism, don't cha ya know.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I believe in anonymity of sources. I've worked in journalism, don't cha ya know.
A good journalist knows how to most effectively use their sources, especially in a case where anonymity does nothing but harm believability, and exposure does precisely zero harm. So like excuse me if I just shrug whenever this ‘source’ comes up in the future, dude. It’s less than useful as presently used, which is... well, frustrating, I guess?

Not just that but like anyone can look at TOCs (useless as they are), volume sales (or digital charts, as they lack numbers) and search up titles on various social media places to get a taste for a series’ reception. Why would you even need a source?
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
Yui Kamio kind of reminds me of Hungry Marie, which was another series done by a returning veteran that involved supernatural and romantic elements (and even body switching to boot!) and both seemed extremely confused about what the actual subject was. I think Yui Kamio is actually better than Hungry Marie, because Marie was constantly introducing new lore, changing up the elements of the story structure, setting and subject, Yui Kamio at least has a stable base of Kito dealing with the chaos that comes with looking after Yui. It does go in a lot of different directions, and new characters come and go all the time, but the core element of the story is basically the same.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Yui Kamio kind of reminds me of Hungry Marie, which was another series done by a returning veteran that involved supernatural and romantic elements (and even body switching to boot!) and both seemed extremely confused about what the actual subject was. I think Yui Kamio is actually better than Hungry Marie, because Marie was constantly introducing new lore, changing up the elements of the story structure, setting and subject, Yui Kamio at least has a stable base of Kito dealing with the chaos that comes with looking after Yui. It does go in a lot of different directions, and new characters come and go all the time, but the core element of the story is basically the same.
The issue is that they want to make the new Gintama/Sket Dance/Beelzebub, but the issue is that those series were able to become successes purely because they had the time to build a working setting and cast. With the environment of Jump much faster, however, with series having to make a significant impression in just two months or be canceled, they lack that, and thus their only solution is to try and throw as much shit at the wall as humanly possible.

For reference, a modernized take on Gintama's "semi-gag" format would be something like Golden Kamuy and Spy X Family, series which have a constantly moving, ongoing story to take the characters through various events.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
My dad works at Shueisha and he told me Ne0;lation was the most successful Jump series of all time and it only ended it because the author kept a record of how many Cherrioes he ate each morning and Nakano thought that was weird.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Seems MS just picked up Beast Children. I get Samurai 8 but is there really a point in picking up any of the others? No one seems that hyped for them that they can't just wait for Sunday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top