Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The issue is that they want to make the new Gintama/Sket Dance/Beelzebub, but the issue is that those series were able to become successes purely because they had the time to build a working setting and cast. With the environment of Jump much faster, however, with series having to make a significant impression in just two months or be canceled, they lack that, and thus their only solution is to try and throw as much shit at the wall as humanly possible.

For reference, a modernized take on Gintama's "semi-gag" format would be something like Golden Kamuy and Spy X Family, series which have a constantly moving, ongoing story to take the characters through various events.
They don't? IIRC Sket Dance actually did all the basic setting on the first chapter but started dead last on the toc and only picked up because Shinohara came up with the Student Council around ch 10 and they were very likeable characters. The setting was done in the first chapter but was the cast that saved it later on.

We're 15 chapters in on Yui Kamio and the author couldn't deliver likeable characters.
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
According to their twitter, they aren't picking it up, just translating the first chapter. I guess it's to promote the series, which is kind of weird because they don't say anything about mangaplus, and the series is already on its third chapter.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Jump+ news: Shokugeki no Souma L'Etoile to end after 47 monthly chapters. Volume 8 will release in October.

RIP (2015-2019)
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
They don't? IIRC Sket Dance actually did all the basic setting on the first chapter but started dead last on the toc and only picked up because Shinohara came up with the Student Council around ch 10 and they were very likeable characters. The setting was done in the first chapter but was the cast that saved it later on.

We're 15 chapters in on Yui Kamio and the author couldn't deliver likeable characters.
I mean, yeah, Shinohara did establish the premise of the series (three teens run an odd-jobs club at their school) in Chapter 1 along with the main cast, but there is a lot of other things like, as you said, the Student Council, that could only be included because the series was given the time and breathing room to establish it. In the modern environment, readers would've tuned out by that point.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Now that I think about it, has there been a veteran mangaka with a first hit and a third disaster like Yui and Shibashi? Such a tragic case...
Aimoto Shou had 2 public manga on jump Mudd and hokenshitsu no shinigame, both were unsuccessful (although shinigame lasted 10 volumes, so technically it was not a failure).
And currently she is in the sq jump working in kemono jihen, and is a success.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
They don't? IIRC Sket Dance actually did all the basic setting on the first chapter but started dead last on the toc and only picked up because Shinohara came up with the Student Council around ch 10 and they were very likeable characters. The setting was done in the first chapter but was the cast that saved it later on.

We're 15 chapters in on Yui Kamio and the author couldn't deliver likeable characters.
i mean it did most of the setup in the one-shot, as a rare case of a series just carrying on from that point. But man like it was really touch and go with the series for a while. Like even till a bit after the student council were introduced it felt like the series was a bit at risk.

That the series went on to blow up as it did is a bit of a lovely miracle
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
My dad works at Shueisha and he told me Ne0;lation was the most successful Jump series of all time and it only ended it because the author kept a record of how many Cherrioes he ate each morning and Nakano thought that was weird.
But srsly guys, we all wanted ne0lation & higuma to survive. That batch has the most original plot and setting and likeable for an long run. But they had shitty editors that didnt do much help for changing things. Most tragic batch I didnt want to be axed
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I miss Sket Dance. I wish Shinohara came back to WSJ with a new manga similar to it, as Sket Dance is one of my favorite manga by far.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
I miss Sket Dance. I wish Shinohara came back to WSJ with a new manga similar to it, as Sket Dance is one of my favorite manga by far.
I agree.
Shinohara needs to come back.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
But srsly guys, we all wanted ne0lation & higuma to survive. That batch has the most original plot and setting and likeable for an long run. But they had shitty editors that didnt do much help for changing things. Most tragic batch I didnt want to be axed
really the lot of chainsaw man, Neolation and Higuma was by far the best so far.
The good thing is that at least chainsaw survived, different from the lot of saiyuki and kamio yui.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I agree.
Shinohara needs to come back.
If Shinohara comes back to WSJ (which is something I think people are forgetting, even if a bunch of mangaka have new stuff in the works doesn't mean it'll be in the main magazine), I think it would be closer to Astra, not Sket Dance.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I miss Sket Dance. I wish Shinohara came back to WSJ with a new manga similar to it, as Sket Dance is one of my favorite manga by far.
Back it goes, but in WSJ I have my doubts. At jump+ he seemed to have more freedom and also did not have to compete with other mangakas.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
But srsly guys, we all wanted ne0lation & higuma to survive. That batch has the most original plot and setting and likeable for an long run. But they had shitty editors that didnt do much help for changing things. Most tragic batch I didnt want to be axed
Nah.
This new batch and WNL batch is very better.
If Shinohara comes back to WSJ (which is something I think people are forgetting, even if a bunch of mangaka have new stuff in the works doesn't mean it'll be in the main magazine), I think it would be closer to Astra, not Sket Dance.
Being like Astra or Sket Dance, the important thing is him returning.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
If Shinohara comes back to WSJ (which is something I think people are forgetting, even if a bunch of mangaka have new stuff in the works doesn't mean it'll be in the main magazine), I think it would be closer to Astra, not Sket Dance.
I would be happy with a new work either way. But him coming back with something similar to Sket Dance would make me even happier due to how I like it.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Nah.
This new batch and WNL batch is very better.
much better where?
Because samurai 8 has disappointed many people, though that will not be canceled.
and the others have nothing really new and relevant.
The chainsaw man's lot was the best so far.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
much better where?
Because samurai 8 has disappointed many people, though that will not be canceled.
and the others have nothing really new and relevant.
The chainsaw man's lot was the best so far.
Fujimaster, as I can tell from his twitter, is very old-fashioned as a person. Series which don't play to modern sensibilities like the most recent batch, which seem dull to the main audience, seem exciting and interesting to him.
 

Kaizoku_82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
100
Reaction score
226
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Picture this: Shuuichi, Matsui, Shinohara and Tamura all coming back to Jump, i'd call it paradise.

Fujimaster, as I can tell from his twitter, is very old-fashioned as a person. Series which don't play to modern sensibilities like the most recent batch, which seem dull to the main audience, seem exciting and interesting to him.
"as I can tell from his Twitter"
You can read Portuguese?? Sh*#, we got another one...
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I believe in anonymity of sources. I've worked in journalism, don't cha ya know.
Is anonymity even necessary? Did these sources sign a nondisclosure agreement? Are they doing something illegal?

Because right now, you're asking us to believe you and trust that your sources are legitimate, without a shred of evidence. How do we know you're not just lying?
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I mean, yeah, Shinohara did establish the premise of the series (three teens run an odd-jobs club at their school) in Chapter 1 along with the main cast, but there is a lot of other things like, as you said, the Student Council, that could only be included because the series was given the time and breathing room to establish it. In the modern environment, readers would've tuned out by that point.
So you were talking about the readers? Then I may agree with you. I was trying to show the magazine may have not changed that much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top