Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Toriko and Black Clover had/have insanely fast pacing. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy both as much as I did/do.
Yeah, the fast pacing of the manga is definitely one of the reasons for why I really like BC. I read the chapters in a few minutes and it's a strong point to me, even more because Tabata love double spread pages on his action scenes so it's even faster while also being cool.

It certainly amazes me that I really like BC because I disliked Hungry Joker in the one-shot and the series itself.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Yeah, the fast pacing of the manga is definitely one of the reasons for why I really like BC. I read the chapters in a few minutes and it's a strong point to me, even more because Tabata love double spread pages on his action scenes so it's even faster while also being cool.

It certainly amazes me that I really like BC because I disliked Hungry Joker in the one-shot and the series itself.
Black Clover's pacing is fast because of progression. Vol 1 and Asta has gotten his sword, joined and gotten adjusted to the Black Bulls, and has completed his first mission. Next volume and he's on a mission where he reunites with Yuno (said arc also has a bunch of other stuff), and another volume later we meet more of the Captains and are introduced to the villain organization.

The admission that Toriko is fast somewhat perplexes me because, again, while the arcs are short there's again relatively little plot stringing them together beyond Toriko's general quest to get a Full-Course meal. Toriko doesn't really "have" progression early on because the character doesn't need it, he's already an experienced badass. Early Toriko is no more serialized than early Bleach.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
*Wakes up*
*Finds freaking 9 pages in one night, and almost all content is again the ''Samurai 8 is the worst manga in existence'' debate*

Not this again -.-

Changing theme: who here knows NuBe? Aka the ''Assasination Classroom'' of 90s. It sold as much as AssClass, but it has fallen for Jump in irrelevance. Almost similar situation for Hoshin Engi, but they at least got that anime reboot last year.

Is curious how for Jump in promotion, 90s are:
-1st tier: YYH, Slam Dunk, Kenshin and Yu-gi-oh
-2nd tier: Rokudenashi Blues, Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboke and Sexy Commando
-3rd tier: Video Girl Ai, Midori no Makibao, Tottemo Luckyman, Hoshin Engi, and I's
-For some reason get few attention: NuBe, Ninku, Tar-chan (and for expanding this, Rookies in 00s is in a pretty similar reason, surprisingly).
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Thanks MangAni.
The cover looks great and I hope we get more info about the anime in the next issues.
 

Kouzai

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 17, 2018
Messages
39
Reaction score
46
Age
29
Country
Philippines
Okay, so the latest Samurai 8 chapter was easily my favorite so far. I'm liking Princess Ann, and the enemy seems extremely menacing. This chapter should stave some of the previous criticism, hopefully.
Also my favorite so far. Don't know if art improved or I just get used to it but I didn't strain my eyes this time
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
*Wakes up*
*Finds freaking 9 pages in one night, and almost all content is again the ''Samurai 8 is the worst manga in existence'' debate*

Not this again -.-

Changing theme: who here knows NuBe? Aka the ''Assasination Classroom'' of 90s. It sold as much as AssClass, but it has fallen for Jump in irrelevance. Almost similar situation for Hoshin Engi, but they at least got that anime reboot last year.

Is curious how for Jump in promotion, 90s are:
-1st tier: YYH, Slam Dunk, Kenshin and Yu-gi-oh
-2nd tier: Rokudenashi Blues, Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboke and Sexy Commando
-3rd tier: Video Girl Ai, Midori no Makibao, Tottemo Luckyman, Hoshin Engi, and I's
-For some reason get few attention: NuBe, Ninku, Tar-chan (and for expanding this, Rookies in 00s is in a pretty similar reason, surprisingly).
It's kinda more like 9 pages of people ganging up on Rain Spectre...

I learned about Nube through that Jump mobile game that was a thing for like a week. I liked the design of the main character, so I checked out the anime (would have read the manga, but it's incomplete and sections in the middle are missing translations). It's been a few months since the last episode I saw, but it's a pretty nice show, Nube is a pretty cool dude and I like how we learn about him through the perspective of his students as the story goes on.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,386
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
*Wakes up*
*Finds freaking 9 pages in one night, and almost all content is again the ''Samurai 8 is the worst manga in existence'' debate*

Not this again -.-

Changing theme: who here knows NuBe? Aka the ''Assasination Classroom'' of 90s. It sold as much as AssClass, but it has fallen for Jump in irrelevance. Almost similar situation for Hoshin Engi, but they at least got that anime reboot last year.

Is curious how for Jump in promotion, 90s are:
-1st tier: YYH, Slam Dunk, Kenshin and Yu-gi-oh
-2nd tier: Rokudenashi Blues, Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboke and Sexy Commando
-3rd tier: Video Girl Ai, Midori no Makibao, Tottemo Luckyman, Hoshin Engi, and I's
-For some reason get few attention: NuBe, Ninku, Tar-chan (and for expanding this, Rookies in 00s is in a pretty similar reason, surprisingly).
I know Jigoku Sensei Nube but just by looking the raws, even followed a bit of the "Neo" sequel on Grand Jump by downloading the volume's raw and also Rebaishi Izuna that it's set in the same universe, it was a more ecchi and lewd version of Nube ;)

It's a nice series and the Neo sequel was even selling quite good on GJ, don't know why the author finished after just 4 years, maybe he will come up with another sequel soon, with so many remakes and revivals happening, i feel like it was a missed opportunity not giving anything new to Nube

Edit: two authors, both Nube and Izuna are made by a duo.

That is a dramatic oversimplification of my point. Bare in mind, the exact same point applies to One Piece in my eyes.

You do realize I'm not shitting on these manga, right?
Yes, i know, but thing is, you say stuff like "most of the arcs in Toriko doesn't have much of a plot or progress" but you didn't read the manga, and reading few chapters or at least the first chapters doesn't really give you much insight about it.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
*Wakes up*
*Finds freaking 9 pages in one night, and almost all content is again the ''Samurai 8 is the worst manga in existence'' debate*

Not this again -.-

Changing theme: who here knows NuBe? Aka the ''Assasination Classroom'' of 90s. It sold as much as AssClass, but it has fallen for Jump in irrelevance. Almost similar situation for Hoshin Engi, but they at least got that anime reboot last year.

Is curious how for Jump in promotion, 90s are:
-1st tier: YYH, Slam Dunk, Kenshin and Yu-gi-oh
-2nd tier: Rokudenashi Blues, Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboke and Sexy Commando
-3rd tier: Video Girl Ai, Midori no Makibao, Tottemo Luckyman, Hoshin Engi, and I's
-For some reason get few attention: NuBe, Ninku, Tar-chan (and for expanding this, Rookies in 00s is in a pretty similar reason, surprisingly).
I’d say Hell Teacher Nube has remained pretty relevant, considering its two sequel series (one for adults in Grand Jump, the other for kids in Saikyo Jump) only ended fairly recently, and one regularly charted on oricon throughout its run.

Ninku for sure has been largely forgotten since Second Stage wrapped up though. If it weren’t for it inspiring Naruto we’d probably not think of it at all (well, not US, because you just mentioned it and I own volumes of it, but the broader we of “people who read Jump”
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,386
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
One day i will watch or read Ninku, i remember when i used to post manga covers in a forum here in Brazil in 2011/2012 and a volume of "Ninku: Second Stage" was released and i saw that cover with that little mc and thought "what the hell is that?" and searched about it finding that it was originally from WSJ and inspired Naruto (that i'm a huge fan), so i got quite interested in the series but it was never translated and didn't find the anime at the time so i moved on.

The author disappeared since 2012, wonder what he's doing now...
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Another series that I think is starting getting less overall popularity could be Sakigake Otokojuku. It was still known in 00s, but I think is really becoming minor in 10s. In some way, I also feel Hokuto no Ken is losing popularity. However, that's not the case for Saint Seiya.

I would say loss of relevance for Sakigake and Hokuto no Ken have two reasons:
-The titles got 10 years older
-The very big rise of JoJo, which has overshadowed these titles.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
"All 2nd posts are mine" guy is really starting to get annoying. You act like you know all, but you showcased so many times that you don't know shit. Discussing series, giving your "expert" opinion, like you know it, but in the end you haven't even read it. Having "japanese source" that track popularity XD Especially about Double Taisei (ToC positions for new series? Sales for 0 vols? Votes? sure :D so based on 0 info) Way too hilarious. The more you speak, the more you showcase you lack knowledge of the subject you talk about.

Go back to twitter!
Yo I don’t care how irritated the person makes you, don’t be too much of an ass. The good way of fostering a community is through communication and time and whilst the dude’s research is lacking and points often lack merit, I don’t think the correct response is to tell them to leave. Everyone learns eventually. God knows I was a pain here a decade ago or whatever, and many users here still definitely are. So like stones and glass houses. Just disengage if you’re getting annoyed.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Nube is an ecchi series, me no like ecchi series.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Another series that I think is starting getting less overall popularity could be Sakigake Otokojuku. It was still known in 00s, but I think is really becoming minor in 10s. In some way, I also feel Hokuto no Ken is losing popularity. However, that's not the case for Saint Seiya.

I would say loss of relevance for Sakigake and Hokuto no Ken have two reasons:
-The titles got 10 years older
-The very big rise of JoJo, which has overshadowed these titles.
It's also that Sakigake Otokojuku has aged the absolute worst of any battle manga in Jump's canon, being filled with uncomfortable misogyny and a lots of nonsensical storytelling.

Fist of the North Star meanwhile I don't really think is losing notoriety? We got that game from the Yakuza team just a year ago.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Nah.
This new batch and WNL batch is very better.

How is it "very" better, it's a generic batch. You dont know how original the settings are in the chainsawman batch
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
It's "very better" because it appeal to his old timer sensibilities, a feeling that seems honestly very common in this thread.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
It's "very better" because it appeal to his old timer sensibilities, a feeling that seems honestly very common in this thread.
Or, and hear me out, it has nothing to do with “old-timer sensibilities” and that’s just an excuse to dismiss his feelings as out of step with your own? Like there’s nothing old-timer about them?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
While I agree that he can be very annoying, I don't think bullying is the right approach. I'm honestly trying to be constructive and more polite, and I suggest everyone else do the same, even though previously I did lash out at him.

If you're not able to do that, there is an ignore feature, and I suggest you use it. Also, fuzz, I just realized that you and I are the only people in our 30's here, after a quick glance. We should set a better example, you know?
Thanks for at least not trying to devolve the thread into yelling.

Honestly, it feels weird how much of a generation gap there is between me and most of the people here. All these veterans have such different preferences...
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
It's a bit hard to disengage when each 2nd post is his and spreading his "knowledge". There are annyoing people here, but none of them replies to each post. To disengage means to stop visiting this thread. So you are also basically telling me to leave. You may not mean it, but this is the result you suggest.

He is been here for more than a month, annoyed so many people, and he haven't learned anything yet. Maybe he needs some harsh words, when nice doesn't work.
Mate I said what I said, don’t read extras into it. If I manage to survive this thread while muting about 3 or 4 other active people then anyone can. Like i get your frustration but it’s perfectly doable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top