Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
By blocks

A lot
Indonesia
Vietnam
Thailand

Not sure but definitely some and probably more than MY
Philippines
Laos

probably right about the same as MY maybe more maybe less
Malaysia
Cambodia
Myanmar

Less than MY
Singapore

Nope
Timor-Leste
Brunei
What does MY stand for:music?

Also, I refuse to believe Laos to be above of Malaysia or even Singapore on that list. No offence, but just look at their population.
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Dragon Ball is a religion in almost the entire planet. For mainstreams, is like the only manga that exists. I'm 100% sure Dragon Ball sales worldwide are way bigger than Japan.

Only other manga I could think maybe has more sales worldwide than in Japan would be Naruto, but not sure at all, I think is still bigger in Japan. I think Saint Seiya and Yu-gi-oh are in the same situation as Naruto. One Piece definitively is smaller worldwide than in Japan.

Hokuto no Ken I'm still sceptical. Just checked the Wikipedia page Arjuna posted and almost all sales came from pachinkos.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
what does MY mean :music?
I'm not sure if that is a serious question or not... but it is Malaysia

and I use it as a benchmark because why not. we were once could be a block higher but almost every publisher went under....
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Yeah, I expected it to be Malaysia but your decision to also include Malaysia in that list confused me.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I think we need a new, updated to day list of Jump titles sales. Last one was that video done in January 2017 by EasyLove.

I'm interested to see in what position would be Hero Academia regarding historical manga. I know for sure it has already surpassed Toriko. I also think it has surpassed D.Gray-man, but not sure.

PD: Watching that video. Saint Seiya sales are in 35 million in Japan, not 25. Worldwide are in 50, I recall.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
video for numbers....


just make a spreadsheet

easier to access, less editing, easier to update, easier to put sources, etc.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Why not? Jump had Beelzebub running for years at the same time which was a similarly versatile gag manga with a battle manga aesthetic (arguably three if you count Medaka Box and consider it successful (which I would given it ran for years and had a two season anime) which managed to be successful so what's stopping another one from being successful or even being as big of a face to the magazine as Gintama now that Gintama isn't around to compete with it?
It's not like Jump will just stop having mega-hits once their current mega-hits end. New ones will take their place with varying degrees of comparable success.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also inb4 he brings up Hungry Marie and Kamio Yui failing as if we don't have countless manga of every type fail in Jump every year.
Doesn't mean another one won't stick in time.
True, that goes even outside of manga. Shows, music , art ect. New hits always will come in an new era, fuck who knows that maybe 20 years later we will have another "DBZ" hit
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I'm not gonna try arguing about the first point because it's clear you refuse to budge, but to the second, you really misunderstand what I mean. Gintama is for those adults who, like Gintoki, have gone through experiences that mean they should've grown out Jump's stories of heroism and courage, yet continue to read and love the stories in Jump regardless. That's why the episodic storyline that alternates between tones and lacks a hard "goal" is so important, it reflect adult life, sometimes comic, sometimes tragic, always meaningful. Discarding that format means discarding half the point of the manga.

Also, just for reference, I do consider Chainsaw Man something of a "counterpart" to Gintama for the modern era, but only in a fairly loose sense. The two are obviously nothing alike in any real factors.
Chainsawman and gintama reflect their era in their own way. It really resembles it, the difference only is that chainsawman has the urban-esc telling that fit the modern era
 

Kaizoku_82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
100
Reaction score
226
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The thing is though Kinnikuman has basically zero appeal to a modern audience. Blame the protagonists mask-face and general demeanor.
Why though??? I'm part of what you would consider "modern audience", and I'm totally on board with Kinnikuman, kinda hyped about reading it after that anniversary video actually, same as every person that's also from this generation I shared this with, I know it's not a big deal, but from newbie to newbie, where/how are you coming up with this???
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Why though??? I'm part of what you would consider "modern audience", and I'm totally on board with Kinnikuman, kinda hyped about reading it after that anniversary video actually, same as every person that's also from this generation I shared this with, I know it's not a big deal, but from newbie to newbie, where/how are you coming up with this???
I mean I feel like wrestling is hot right now with current audiences. NJPW is huge. It feels tailor-made for people now as much as it did back in the day, right?
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Dragon Ball is a religion in almost the entire planet. For mainstreams, is like the only manga that exists. I'm 100% sure Dragon Ball sales worldwide are way bigger than Japan.

Only other manga I could think maybe has more sales worldwide than in Japan would be Naruto, but not sure at all, I think is still bigger in Japan. I think Saint Seiya and Yu-gi-oh are in the same situation as Naruto. One Piece definitively is smaller worldwide than in Japan.

Hokuto no Ken I'm still sceptical. Just checked the Wikipedia page Arjuna posted and almost all sales came from pachinkos.
The wiki said Dragon Ball manga sold 250-300 million worldwide, while 160 million in Japan. So, 90-140 million overseas. That would mean the manga still sells more in Japan.

I really doubt Yu-Gi-Oh or Saint Seiya manga are so popular overseas. In both cases, the anime was really popular overseas (in Yu-Gi-Oh case, the card game too), but the manga does not seem to have been so well known (although I don't know how manga sell in other asian countries).
 
Last edited:

O_S_I

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Messages
9
Reaction score
30
Age
28
Country
Nigeria
The wiki said Dragon Ball manga sold 250-300 million worldwide, while 160 million in Japan. So, 90-140 million overseas. That would mean the manga still sells more in Japan.

I really doubt Yu-Gi-Oh or Saint Seiya manga are so popular overseas. In both cases, the anime was really popular overseas (in Yu-Gi-Oh case, the card game too), but the manga does not seem to have been so well known (although I don't know how manga sell in other asian countries).
DB's sold 250 million worldwide with 180 million in Japan iirc. But yeah, it's sold more in Japan. Same case as Naruto (235 million; 140 million in Japan and 95 million overseas).
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
DB's sold 250 million worldwide with 180 million in Japan iirc. But yeah, it's sold more in Japan. Same case as Naruto (235 million; 140 million in Japan and 95 million overseas).
Dragon Ball is 250 million worldwide with 160 million in Japan.
Naruto is 250 million worlwide with 153 million in Japan and 97 in overseas.

And for this numbers its not sales but print.
 

O_S_I

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Messages
9
Reaction score
30
Age
28
Country
Nigeria
Dragon Ball is 250 million worldwide with 160 million in Japan.
Naruto is 250 million worlwide with 153 million in Japan and 97 in overseas.

And for this numbers its not sales but print.
Ah, my bad.

I take it this account isn't reliable then?


 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Ah, my bad.

I take it this account isn't reliable then?


Maybe I'm wrong, but the prints are technically still sales, because all these are sold to the shops.

Not to mention that the print are based in the demand of a product.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Maybe I'm wrong, but the prints are technically still sales, because all these are sold to the shops.

Not to mention that the print are based in the demand of a product.
You're not wrong. It's like RIAA certification for music albums in the US. They aren't the numbers the consumers bought but more what the shops bought due to the demand.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
booksellers can return books to publishers

though what mostly matters is the mangaka cut which is based on print and not. sales
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
booksellers can return books to publishers
I'm not sure if that applies to manga. Although I don't know how this works in Japan.

For example: American comics aren't usually returnable (it happens sometimes, but it seems to be exceptional cases).
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and Naruto are MASSIVE here in Brazil, as far as manga goes.

Dragon Ball is in its 4th reissue here, Naruto and Saint Seiya in its 3rd reissue. Sometimes I think Saint Seiya is bigger here than it ever was in Japan.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and Naruto are MASSIVE here in Brazil, as far as manga goes.

Dragon Ball is in its 4th reissue here, Naruto and Saint Seiya in its 3rd reissue. Sometimes I think Saint Seiya is bigger here than it ever was in Japan.
Actually, it is almost sure Saint Seiya is more popular overseas than in Japan. Although this wouldn't necessarily translate in bigger overseas sales of manga than japanese sales.

This is because manga isn't consumed at similar level outside Japan.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top