Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,118
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
disappointments of the year (Until first semester)

1. shokugeki no souma - The quality of the manga fell well after the central.

2. Kamio yui - I always read the one shots that this author launches, and I also really liked Nuraryhion, but this new manga left something to be desired.

3. Higuma - The manga was good, the disappointment is more because of the cancellation, the jump could have waited for sales of the second volume.

4. Samurai 8 - The hype and marketing made upon him have harmed and much experience with it, art is confusing and history is weak at the beginning, but it will surely improve over time.
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm not targeting anyone or saying anyone's opinion is wrong about this, but I genuinely can't imagine not liking something because of the supposed hype behind it instead of its actual quality.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm not targeting anyone or saying anyone's opinion is wrong about this, but I genuinely can't imagine not liking something because of the supposed hype behind it instead of its actual quality.
Agreed. People need to stop letting other people make or influence their opinions.
However I can understand being disappointed by a new series from a mangaka you really like. That type of hype disappointment makes sense.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,118
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I'm not targeting anyone or saying anyone's opinion is wrong about this, but I genuinely can't imagine not liking something because of the supposed hype behind it instead of its actual quality.
but it's kind of the last jedi, everyone was expecting an incredible movie and after watching it they were disappointed.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,546
Reaction score
15,705
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
One Piece, MHA, Haikyuu, HxH, Neverland, Black Clover, Kimetsu, Stone. WNL, Yunna, Jujutsu and Act-Age are the manga from WSJ which were chosen to be on natsucomi 2019 as examples for shonen manga. Makes sense with their sales, I guess.

Play Ball 2 is there. I'm happy.
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
but it's kind of the last jedi, everyone was expecting an incredible movie and after watching it they were disappointed.
I understand the idea behind it, but as for your example, the movie wasn't disliked because of what people expected it to be, but rather that it was a disappointing product in general, correct? (won't ever pretend to be a Star Wars fan, so I'm unsure).

I understand being disappointed, but to use that disappointment as a mark against the otherwise okay quality of something seems a little silly.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Guys, this line of discussion is widely off-topic. Not only that, I'm honestly sick to death of talking about TLJ in general. It's always a shitshow either side you happen to fall on.

Anyway, now that I know Fujimoto is thoroughly influenced by horror movies and manga, I'm starting to appreciate Chainsawman even more than I did previously. I previously thought the series was more experimental and off-kilter compared to nearly everything else in Jump, with an almost shitposting quality to it, which resonates with me.

However, the horror aspects are becoming more pronounced, and that resonates with me also. That was one aspect of Bleach I feel was overlooked by many. It had horror manga aspects in many respects, but more subdued then something like KnY.
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I wonder if Chainsawman will really have some impact on future manga (being honest and curious here).

We had some deconstructed and troll manga before in Jump, like Level E, but I honestly don't know if it had any impact whatsoever. Maybe for being short it didn't? I don't know how it was received at the time it was published.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What I'm most curious about is the similarities between Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsawman.

CSM seems to have the bigger following outside of Japan, but I'm wondering which will ultimately be the bigger success.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Chainsawman: Complete nonsense and fresh for it. It's great.

Dr Stone: The series was always fun but just felt kinda wrong. But since setting off on the boat and actually starting to deal with the main plot point, it's stepped things up a few notches. Really feels like this is what the series was supposed to be from the start, but we just had a 100 chapter prologue leading up to it... It's gone from something I enjoyed reading, but was just kinda there, to something I actively look forward to.

Act-age: It's amazing how this changes things up drastically every arc, but still keeps so many of its characters relevant. Think they've done a movie and a play and things will get stale by just doing more? Nope, goes in a completely separate direction. And it does all this while still remaining very much shounen at its roots. Easily one of the most pleasant surprises of the decade.

Jujutsu: Fell behind on this for a while and caught all the way up to like chapter 55 or so but still feel completely indifferent to the series. it just can't seem to develop its characters well at all. They all feel so nothing. The school arc was a massive disappointment. Probs not gonna read it again until it reaches 100 chapters and then I'll see where it's at.

Black Clover: Really went downhill these last 6 months after some of the series best moments prior. Shame it pulled the whole "Main villain with 200 chapters of development is just a pawn... but here! Have a new edgy OP dude no one cares about that forces the characters to power up to earth-destroying levels so they can curbstomp anyone else in the universe and basically leave nowhere else for the series to go, but we'll continue on anyway with more throw away villains nobody cares about because they haven't had 200 chapters of development prior" plot point. It's been done so many times before, but it felt particularly poorly executed here.

Everything else has been pretty norm tbh. Soma continuing downhill, HZ remaining high, Neverland/MHA/OP going through their constant ups and downs, Bokuben, Yuuna and Haikyu keeping the status quo. Haven't read Kimetsu in over 6 months because the last few arcs disappointed me so much. Will catch up in the next few days and see if anything's changed.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
I wonder if Chainsawman will really have some impact on future manga (being honest and curious here).

We had some deconstructed and troll manga before in Jump, like Level E, but I honestly don't know if it had any impact whatsoever. Maybe for being short it didn't? I don't know how it was received at the time it was published.
It will, it will show future managaka's not being scared what their manga should look like and give editors a clear view how cool that theme can be. It can change Jump for GOOD.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hero Academia is getting new spinoff in next GIGA issue. Thanks to revo for the info.

Author of the new spinoff is Akiyama Youko (Saguri-chan)

oh, interesting. Maybe it's centered around a primarily female cast of new characters (unless we know them already). The franchise could really use something like that and has a great track record with good spinoffs so far.


it's watashi no hero academia chapter
the 4 koma that appears behind bnha in the magazine sometimes
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Spin off in GIGA? So 2 volumes and done.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Kakuremi oneshot was cool
the premise is pretty much a mix of Wonder Women and Aqua Man mythology
the art reminds me of Demizu Posuka, which is fantastic for an 18 years old
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
Before this thread gets any more off topic, which Jump series had the best opening chapters? What elements do you think an opening needs to really hook readers?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
This is about WSJ, can you please stop talking about star wars and insulting each other? Remember when the worst thing was people spending too long arguing over Veterans vs Newbies?


Regarding Jujutsu and Chainsawman, I find them both a little hard to judge. Personally I think Jujutsu has better potential as a battle series since it's set up a lot of great ideas for abilities, but it doesn't seem to stick to any core power idea much. Like what happened to the 'domains' thing? I feel like there's 4 different series' worth of types of powers squeezed in there.

Chainsawman on the other hand is going to more like an experience than anything else. I also find it hard to tell how long it's supposed to last, like I can imagine being on the shorter side but it really depends on how many crazy tangents fujimoto goes on. I can see it both ending naturally in under 100 chapters or going past 200 fuelled by increasing insanity.
 
Last edited:

SalesNerd69

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
196
Reaction score
211
Age
28
Country
India
Weren't some rankings supposed to come out today? Its called Shokoseki or something like that iirc
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Ok, let's make this thread Jump related again. After a strong start, it seems Jujutsu has slowed down significantly during the tournament arc. Where do you think this series will head toward now? Would it ever blown up in the West?
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
As much as I'm enjoying it, Kaisen has started to feel more and more aimless. I love that Gege does things on a whim, but sometimes you need more structure and purpose.

I don't see it blowing up in the West, but like Kimetsu, it'll depend on how good the eventual anime adaptation is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top