Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
One Piece, MHA, Haikyuu, HxH, Neverland, Black Clover, Kimetsu, Stone. WNL, Yunna, Jujutsu and Act-Age are the manga from WSJ which were chosen to be on natsucomi 2019 as examples for shonen manga. Makes sense with their sales, I guess.

 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
In terms of new series? Chainsaw Man, without question. Everything else had fairly standard half-years, but Chainsaw Man has had a genuinely really impressive rise.
New and Old. Every series WSJ has had ongoing this year.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
New and Old. Every series WSJ has had ongoing this year.
Well, it's basically the same then. I think My Hero Academia deserves some credit for blowing everyone away with My Villain Academia, but otherwise it's been a fairly standard half-year. Fingers crossed the boost in positivity surrounding Saiyuki pays off, it be good for it to survive.

BTW, I've been reading Hitman Reborn as part of a thread I'm planning and wow have standards risen if this is what was able to become a hit. Legit, the only things going for it are the artwork and cool fights.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
One Piece, MHA, Haikyuu, HxH, Neverland, Black Clover, Kimetsu, Stone. WNL, Yunna, Jujutsu and Act-Age are the manga from WSJ which were chosen to be on natsucomi 2019 as examples for shonen manga. Makes sense with their sales, I guess.

Soma got snubbed?
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
BTW, I've been reading Hitman Reborn as part of a thread I'm planning and wow have standards risen if this is what was able to become a hit. Legit, the only things going for it are the artwork and cool fights.
Do you have to remind us that you have a twitter account every single time possible? As for your comment about Reborn I dont see how the standards risen, it was a gag manga that transitioned into battle. I dont see many manga that actually did that in recent times and pure battle manga are as generic and cliche.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
The Promised Neverland, Act-Age and Kimetsu no Yaiba for old series. For new series I gotta say almost none of them have my interest right now, but I keep reading them to see if they can evolve or turn into something that I can actually enjoy. Chainsaw Man appeared really impressive but I lost all interest when it resorted to random stuff in order to catch readers attention, which I think was completely unnecessary. Also enjoyed Higuma and Saiyuki at the beginning but the later will end up meeting the same fate as the previous one. Don't know how should I consider David-kun, if new or old series, but it completely deserver a better fate. That's probably the only one I feel bad about it ending.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I had a thought, maybe the reason we got nothing new replacing Soma after it ended is because the epilogue was just going to run normally in WSJ at first and decided to put it in GIGA quite late, not leaving enough time for the next new series to be ready.

I'm curious about how late they plan GIGA stuff.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
the oneshot was scheduled a while ago , so I don't know,

oh and the 6 months notice thing as well
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
In terms of new series? Chainsaw Man, without question. Everything else had fairly standard half-years, but Chainsaw Man has had a genuinely really impressive rise.
''fairly standard'' really sounds like an instult, there were many great manga published (espcially the batch of chainsawman) but sadly they failed when it progressed. i would say it was an really impressive half years. there are really high quality manga now that >everyone< can enjoy
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
Well, I will pretend to be some sort of authority and handling out awards then :hi

Promising child: for best new manga, no need to guess, it's Chainsaw Man. :celebrate

Aspiring darling: for stuff that improves the most, Act-Age. What can I say, Yonagi is a cute dork. :hearts

Consistently brilliant: this is shared among Kimetsu and Dr. Stone. Never not having good time with both of them. :yourock

Surprisingly alright: for title that is somewhat bland, but do have sparks of brilliant here and then, Black Clover.

And finally, Deadman standing: for stuff that fights till the bitter end with honor (or simply a reverse Soma), Hinomaru Sumo. :biblethump

Well, that's all, folks. Open towards all of your criticisms.
 

westabyss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
195
Reaction score
523
Country
Germany
Pretty sure half the comments on this forum would be trending if we just moved these discussions to twitter. :story

Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
Halfyear ranking:

1. KnY
2. Act Age
3. Jujutsu Kaisen
4. Chainsaw Man
5. One Piece

Manga with the biggest fall off: HeroAca and Soma (but that fall started already last year)
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Pretty sure half the comments on this forum would be trending if we just moved these discussions to twitter. :story

Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
From newbies Chainsaw Man, and it was that good it lefts the other 9 newbies in the dust.

Overall ranking
1. Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. Act-Age
3. Black Clover
4. Chainsaw Man
5. TPN
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,118
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Pretty sure half the comments on this forum would be trending if we just moved these discussions to twitter. :story

Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
1. KnY
2. Chainsaw man
3. Black clover
4. The last saiyuki (despite the possible cancellation)
5. Jujutsu kaisen

honorable mentions for Double taisei and TSS (despite the polemic)
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Pretty sure half the comments on this forum would be trending if we just moved these discussions to twitter. :story

Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
1 - Kimetsu no Yaiba
2 - Promised Neverland
3 - Act-Age
4 - One Piece
5 - Jujutsu Kaisen
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Wow someone who likes Takamagahara?! May I ask what you like about it? I personally found nothing redeemable in it, but im interested in what you think.
Wasn't that the series with the guy who turned animals like bears and squirrels into guns?
I heard mostly negative things about it but a series with an ability like that has to have some heart to it.

Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
1. Dr Stone (consistently great and hilarious, 'nuff said)
2. My Hero Academia (Year started with the last stretch of that mediocre "Classes A vs B"-arc but quickly transitioned into the fantastic villain arc)
3. Chainsaw Man (what a ride... also receiving my fictional "Newcomers Award", despite starting in 2018, strictly speaking)
4. The Promised Neverland (Good stuff, the series really recovered again since reintroducing Norman, compared to the abysmal arcs that came before)
5. The Last Saiyuki (huh... I really don't read that many good WSJ series anymore, I guess... Good series nonetheless, especially the opening chapters and the BEstelle character-arc have been fantastic. Hopefully it survives somehow)

And a super-special-awesome extra trophy goes to Food Wars for achieving the highest drop in quality I've ever experienced in a series I once liked. You either have to work really hard or don't care at all to create such a miraculous trainwreck, congratz!
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Takamagahara was trying to be a parody of generic bad Jump battle manga only the mangaka wasn't funny so it just read like a really weird yet generic bad Jump manga.
Just because an attempt was made doesn't mean it was well done.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Pretty sure half the comments on this forum would be trending if we just moved these discussions to twitter. :story

Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
Chainsaw Man- I hated Fire Punch. Felt like it was written by a certain expert spectre. However CM is becoming one of my favorite manga ever.

Black Clover- What once was one of the worst manga Jump had ever serialized has become a genuinely fun roller-coaster. Tabata is a great example of a mangaka who has learned on the job.

Tokyo Shinobi Squad, The Promised Neverland, and ig David+Saiyuuki in a tie are my last three.

Meanwhile Jujutsu Kaisen has been really disappointing this year which is a real shame because last year it was on fire
 
Last edited:

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Takamagahara was trying to be a parody of generic bad Jump battle manga only the mangaka wasn't funny so it just read like a really weird yet generic bad Jump manga.
Just because an attempt was made doesn't mean it well done.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Chainsaw Man- I hated Fire Punch. Felt like it was written by a certain expert spectre. However CM is becoming one of my favorite manga ever.

Black Clover- What once was one of the worst manga Jump had ever serialized has become a genuinely fun roller-coaster. Tabata is a great example of a mangaka who has learned on the job.

Tokyo Shinobi Squad, The Promised Neverland, and ig David+Saiyuuki in a tie are my last three.

Meanwhile Jujutsu Kaisen has been really disappointing this year which is a real shame because last year it was on fire
Why does jjk disappoint u??
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
That's always the problem with parodying bad things, if you can't turn the bad aspects into something fun then you're just making a normal bad series. Being aware of it doesn't make a difference.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Pretty sure half the comments on this forum would be trending if we just moved these discussions to twitter. :story

Since it's past the halfway point I'm curious to know which series do ya'll think has been the best so far this year, ie. from Jan to June this year.
TPN - keeps getting fire which sometimes had its stale moment

Jjk - I like how neutral and more down to > earth < it Is, it resembles our real life. Solid

Drstone - super great and funny as always, really a jump manga

Chainsawman - very unique, this is prob one of the manga that can influence jump alot for not giving a shit. (It also defeat the purpose what jump wanted to be represented for). Wonder jump will look like 5 years later from here

Kimetsu- always give u a reason to come back, kinda like black clover its makes u hyped every ch

Black clover- from a typical fairy tail bootleg, tabata really showed how to refine a great shonen without being scared embracing it.

Mha - I hope class A vs B will be changed for the anime, such a flop writing. The character werent themself. But the villian arc is top tier prob even above overhaul *applause*

Honorable mentions: food wars - seems like jump really pushed the poor writer for milking the milk less cow to dead. Really surprised an new season come on the way ( lmao slap at the face to bleach)

Ne0lation - great concept but didnt do well on structure and build-up, practice make art. i hope he will come soon back with an new one. (I really like his color art, it's one of the best i have seen)

Higuma - wished it survived but he should work on more character introduction, maybe it wouldnt be axed. Also the mc doubt thrope shouldnt be too early like this, it kills the atmosphere, and didnt make sense at all for protecting innocent people/family u love
 
Last edited:

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Neverland had some weak chapters the end of previous year (maybe early this as well? Not sure) but now it's in one of its best phases, great stuff week after week.

Hinomaru is doing one of the best tournament arcs in sports manga, the author know what he's doing to his characters

One Piece is always One Piece and Wano has been pretty fun. A small slump in the middle of act two but otherwise great.

Dr Stone is mantaining its quality, consistently fun and interesting. The most recent arc is pretty cool

... I guess Saiyuki is 5th. Great introduction, good characters and interactions, and a world i'm interested in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top