Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,855
Age
33
Country
United States
Also, I'll say it again, Tokyo Shinobi Squad is fucking awesome.
Getting to read it, Chainsaw Man, and Jujutsu Kaisen are some of the highlights of my week (along with Eden's Zero and Mao).
These three running together will help give Jump a unique identity for its battle manga for this generation. Really rooting for TSS.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
My opinion of TSS has risen since the first few chapters, but right now I still don't see it as anything more than "off-brand Kekkai Sensen". The powers aren't unique at all both in what they are and how they're used and I'm not exactly interested any of the characters except for the Thai kid, at least for now. The art isn't anything unique or special either.

Right now, the Thai kid is the only part that keeps me reading. It's nice that the writer didn't make him a wimpy character who is afraid of everything, instead he has been competent since the start. It was cool to see the memory power expanded on by being explained as different rooms in a huge building that he has to access, instead of just being "I remember everything". It helped to flesh out an otherwise boring power, however, I'm unsure of how it can grow beyond that. Will he just gradually learn to remember more and more amounts of data? Will he be able to materialize the memories in a hologram-like fashion? Things like this intrigue me and push me to keep reading each week.

I think the writer needs to introduce more characters soon because while the current cast is fine for now, they don't exactly draw me in with seemingly 3 permanent characters introduced so far. Kekkai Sensen drew me in with the chaos and mystery of the many characters that it introduced in its first episode, many of whom were reoccurring characters. Of course, the flashy visuals and great direction were a part of the appeal, but the intrigue of this mysterious group named "Libra" and its equally mysterious is what drew me in to say "holy shit I need the next episode".
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
My opinion of TSS has risen since the first few chapters, but right now I still don't see it as anything more than "off-brand Kekkai Sensen". The powers aren't unique at all both in what they are and how they're used and I'm not exactly interested any of the characters except for the Thai kid, at least for now. The art isn't anything unique or special either.

Right now, the Thai kid is the only part that keeps me reading. It's nice that the writer didn't make him a wimpy character who is afraid of everything, instead he has been competent since the start. It was cool to see the memory power expanded on by being explained as different rooms in a huge building that he has to access, instead of just being "I remember everything". It helped to flesh out an otherwise boring power, however, I'm unsure of how it can grow beyond that. Will he just gradually learn to remember more and more amounts of data? Will he be able to materialize the memories in a hologram-like fashion? Things like this intrigue me and push me to keep reading each week.

I think the writer needs to introduce more characters soon because while the current cast is fine for now, they don't exactly draw me in with seemingly 3 permanent characters introduced so far. Kekkai Sensen drew me in with the chaos and mystery of the many characters that it introduced in its first episode, many of whom were reoccurring characters. Of course, the flashy visuals and great direction were a part of the appeal, but the intrigue of this mysterious group named "Libra" and its equally mysterious is what drew me in to say "holy shit I need the next episode".
And what good are you presenting characters if you do not work the ones you presented?
akaboshi and steath symphony followed suit and were canceled.
I do not want to look like boring fanboy, but if TSS does not have anything interesting what the other manga that debuted along with it have?
both beast children and double taisei presented characters but they only focused on working only one or two and rest are unnamed extras.
Only samurai 8 really stood out because of the kishimoto name.
This lot is no better than the previous two of the jump, but there are things to compliment about.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,552
Reaction score
11,290
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Any news on Shoseki ?
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
And what good are you presenting characters if you do not work the ones you presented?
akaboshi and steath symphony followed suit and were canceled.
I do not want to look like boring fanboy, but if TSS does not have anything interesting what the other manga that debuted along with it have?
both beast children and double taisei presented characters but they only focused on working only one or two and rest are unnamed extras.
Only samurai 8 really stood out because of the kishimoto name.
This lot is no better than the previous two of the jump, but there are things to compliment about.
But the fact that TSS doesn't have anything interesting doesn't mean one of the other must have. Maybe the 4 of them don't have anything interesting.

(Although I'm really liking Beast Children and even though it's a simple and cliched manga, I think it does have heart).
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
But the fact that TSS doesn't have anything interesting doesn't mean one of the other must have. Maybe the 4 of them don't have anything interesting.

(Although I'm really liking Beast Children and even though it's a simple and cliched manga, I think it does have heart).
well, i've seen manga with heart that ended up being canceled (Higuma that says it).

I do not say that Beast children can not recover, maybe it will recover but the point is that you need more than just heart to stand out. The shonen jump is a magazine where the authors dispute between themselves and only the best survive and if you do not sell your product in the first chapters you do not last very long.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,855
Age
33
Country
United States
Higuma had no heart. It was the most bland thing in Jump since Red Sprite.
You guys just think this because it was one of the first weekly series you guys got to read from the start of its serialization to its end due to Manga+ and Viz's weird bastardization attempt at an online mag being new things.
Just like how Red Sprite was a meme when it ran because all these newbies were actually looking at the magazine for the first beyond the big series due to Bleach ending yet none had read enough manga to realize that Jump is better than this.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Higuma had no heart. It was the most bland thing in Jump since Red Sprite.
You guys just think this because it was one of the first weekly series you guys got to read from the start of its serialization to its end due to Manga+ and Viz's weird bastardization attempt at an online mag being new things.
Just like how Red Sprite was a meme when it ran because all these newbies were actually looking at the magazine for the first beyond the big series due to Bleach ending yet none had read enough manga to realize that Jump is better than this.
All right, so how about shuudan?
This one also had heart and also was well beloved by those who read at the time and ended up being canceled also.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Higuma had no heart. It was the most bland thing in Jump since Red Sprite.
You guys just think this because it was one of the first weekly series you guys got to read from the start of its serialization to its end due to Manga+ and Viz's weird bastardization attempt at an online mag being new things.
Just like how Red Sprite was a meme when it ran because all these newbies were actually looking at the magazine for the first beyond the big series due to Bleach ending yet none had read enough manga to realize that Jump is better than this.
I think this is it. People forget Japanese audience has some standards because the manga medium is so big there. More choices, higher bar to clear to be liked. Gokutei Higuma had decent art and potential on paper, but it never managed to build on it. One of the main things that needed to be established, having an end goal, and having a solid supporting cast, nothing. Add uninteresting fodder villians to the mix (before the "big boss" came when the mangaka was told the manga is axed so the plot rushing happened)...

All right, so how about shuudan?
This one also had heart and also was well beloved by those who read at the time and ended up being canceled also.
Just because you think it had "a heart", doesn't mean the Jump readers thought the same. Which is what ultimately matters.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,855
Age
33
Country
United States
Shuudan was one of the rare series that I think didn't deserve to be cancelled. Would have been really smart for it to be moved to Jump+. Weird how iShoujo was the only recipient of that treatment to my memory that didn't transfer just to immediately end within 1-3 chapters.
Most that gets axed in Jump didn't deserve to stick around though.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Just because you think it had "a heart", doesn't mean the Jump readers thought the same. Which is what ultimately matters.
But that's exactly where I want to go. There are many manga that we think are good, but the Japanese do not like it, and the opposite is true.
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Just because you think it had "a heart", doesn't mean the Jump readers thought the same. Which is what ultimately matters.
This. And, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it has a heart or not if the series can't convince (and more importantly show) the audience it has other qualities aside from having "a heart".
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'm of the opinion that (almost) everything that runs in WSJ has a 'heart' and 'potential'. If the writer clearly didn't care and was phoning it in it wouldn't be run, manga creators tend to be very passionate about their work early on and editors are good at finding that passion.

What matters is that they can immediately show off what they can do with that heart, show they will live up to the potential, and spending the first two volumes just showing panels of the MC and pals beating fodder villains with zero depth isn't the way to get people to care about your potential.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
But that's exactly where I want to go. There are many manga that we think are good, but the Japanese do not like it, and the opposite is true.
What I wanted to say, why do you think you are in the right, and they were in the wrong? We are all different. That is the thing. Liking a manga or not (or any other medium like a movie, TV show, anime, light novel, books etc.) is a very subjective thing. Everything has potential until it doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Shuudan.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
What I wanted to say, why do you think you are in the right, and they were in the wrong? We are all different. That is the thing. Liking a manga or not (or any other medium like a movie, TV show, anime, light novel, books etc.) is a very subjective thing. Everything has potential until it doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Shuudan.
I do not think I'm right, many times I'm wrong, I do not know what you're thinking about me but I'm just giving a personal opinion.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
and spending the first two volumes just showing panels of the MC and pals beating fodder villains with zero depth isn't the way to get people to care about your potential.
Sadly, this is (in my opinion, some may not find it as such) Gokutei Higuma in a nutshell (and something Tokyo Shinobi Squad suffers from very much currently). Though Volume 2 of Higuma includes Chapter 13 which was a really, really good chapter with actual stakes and a villain with an actual depth.

I do not think I'm right, many times I'm wrong, I do not know what you're thinking about me but I'm just giving a personal opinion.
I don't think anything bad about you, no worries. I just thought you were projecting your opinion as a thing that everyone else should have.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Personally I think Shuudan just came too quickly. It started only a few months after Dance Club ended which, judging by ToC placements, people had gotten a bit tired of its style and tone.

Perhaps it would've flopped regardless but to me it felt like a repeat of Dance Club style-wise but with a less distinct sport and cast (which was a big part of the draw before), so while I enjoyed what I read, it never captured that fresh new series feel that a hit needs.

Also speaking of Dance Club I wonder when we'll get our next semi-hit, I always like seeing these series that last a year before cancellation. Some feel like a flop that sneaked through and it's interesting seeing examples of what flops might do if they got past the intro arcs, while others feel like a hit that fell apart before it got big or just failed to grow and those are interesting to see how they wasted their chance.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Also speaking of Dance Club I wonder when we'll get our next semi-hit, I always like seeing these series that last a year before cancellation. Some feel like a flop that sneaked through and it's interesting seeing examples of what flops might do if they got past the intro arcs, while others feel like a hit that fell apart before it got big or just failed to grow and those are interesting to see how they wasted their chance.
Unless Jump is about to get a ton of new series we'll probably get one or two soon. Food Wars ended, Sumo is apparently about to end, Yuuna might end soon plus Yui and Last Saiyuki aren't doing too well and I'm sure all 4 of the latest series aren't going to be smash hits so some stuff is going to last longer than it otherwise would have.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,855
Age
33
Country
United States
I do not think I'm right, many times I'm wrong, I do not know what you're thinking about me but I'm just giving a personal opinion.
tbh, I like you. You have a new passion and you're excited to learn and have conversations with people about it.
People need to stop giving esl users a difficult time. English isn't even the official language of the USA so stop acting like it's the official language of the world.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top