Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Is this a reboot like adapting from chapter 1 of the manga?
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
s8 paneling at times is pretty wonky but the art improvement since chapter 1 is pretty amazing. I could barely make out what was happening without re-reading each page like 3 times for the first 2-3 chapters but now its pretty easy to read although we've yet to see a long fight scene but I have some hope those will be fine
Yeah, Ookubo really got better compared to the beginning. Much easier to understand what is happening now and his art also got better. Seeing those evolutions is always nice.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

With the new Saint Seiya 3D anime released on Netflix, do you guys think of any other series that could accomodate to a CGI film/series?

Personally, I see something as Arale could work on 3D.
Toei has been doing CG movies for quite some time. Precure last year got one of the best CG that I ever saw in anime, for example. I can't say the same for Saint Seiya which I don't like the CG as much, even if it's not bad per se.

 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Yeah, Ookubo really got better compared to the beginning. Much easier to understand what is happening now and his art also got better. Seeing those evolutions is always nice.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Toei has been doing CG movies for quite some time. Precure last year got one of the best CG that I ever saw in anime, for example. I can't say the same for Saint Seiya which I don't like the CG as much, even if it's not bad per se.

Precure looks nice from the model standpoint but that sporadic low fps slow-mo was painful to look at. 1:41-2:03 was really good tho.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Wait so we're straight up not allowed to comment on the plot of the series in WSJ even if they're spoilered? Is this thread only about the magazine logistics now then? That seems absurd.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Wait so we're straight up not allowed to comment on the plot of the series in WSJ even if they're spoilered? Is this thread only about the magazine logistics now then? That seems absurd.
That's how it's always been and used to help keep this thread on topic and a good resource for reliable information.
Buranchi wants to get us back to that.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
That's how it's always been and used to help keep this thread on topic and a good resource for reliable information.
Buranchi wants to get us back to that.
I don't really like that, I'll stop derailing the thread but I think the series should be part of the magazine discussion. It's like making a marvel studios thread where you can talk about infinity war and endgame.
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,396
Reaction score
39,081
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Like Rica said, this is how threads about manga magazines work, not only in this forum but in every other, isn't really to talk about weekly chapters of the mangas, but to talk about the magazine itself, you have a discussion thread for all these mangas, isn't like you can't say anything about X manga, just not literally talk about what's going on in the new chapter or current plot points, you have the manga thread for that.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
What about reactions to new/still growing series? I understand not wanting the thread to talk about the newest MHA chapter, but reactions to new series I think is something worth discussing here.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
with how almost everything have and official release now (except most one-shots & yuuna which scans if after jump is out anyway, since they actually work on digital)

just wait.


also agree in not going too much about any certain series at one time
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
What about reactions to new/still growing series? I understand not wanting the thread to talk about the newest MHA chapter, but reactions to new series I think is something worth discussing here.
I'm not a mod, but I'd wager that's fine as that kind of conversation is related to the state of the magazine, them being new series.
I just think it's when we're having discussions weekly about series like MHA or Black Clover whose place in the magazine is safe and everybody is aware of and has their known opinions about said series. It just turns into recycled arguments where we just beat a dead horse over and over and over and...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I don't really like that, I'll stop derailing the thread but I think the series should be part of the magazine discussion. It's like making a marvel studios thread where you can talk about infinity war and endgame.
Partially I agree with you, but it's a slippery slope and part of what I believe influenced the decline of the thread.
As much as I used to be annoyed by the super restrictive vibe of the place years back, I can't say that it didn't work. This place was very low on misinformation and while there were still those who liked their ego stroked, they were very knowledgeable and their posts had substance.
This place was the place that other English language places got their information from and that reputation is dissipating fast if it hasn't already.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wait so we're straight up not allowed to comment on the plot of the series in WSJ even if they're spoilered? Is this thread only about the magazine logistics now then? That seems absurd.
Within the first 24 hours of Edited Manga release, yes. After that point, use spoilers all you want.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
no no no, don't back down to pressure, I've been telling people to stop posting about Samurai 8 spoiler EVERY SINGLE WEEK
enforce the spoiler ban, chapters discussion goes in the manga section of the forums
this will keep the thread free of MHA vs BC bullshit and HxH """"chads""" posting

and in regards to questions about it, that how this thread have always been
also, Sunday, Magazine, Champions etc threads are all magazine talk only and free of spoiler so this thread shouldn't be different
people talk about manga generally but don't talk about the chapters weekly

What about reactions to new/still growing series? I understand not wanting the thread to talk about the newest MHA chapter, but reactions to new series I think is something worth discussing here.
this is fine, it's related to the magazine talk since they affect it
but after the first 2 or maybe 3 chapter it's no longer new so it should go in the manga section
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As for discussion about brand new series, I *think* it's okay, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I'll touch bases with my superiors and get back to you guys. I don't see any online right now, though.

Edit: Actually, I'm going to make a judgement call on this. Until it's deemed appropriate for it to have a topic or section for specific discussion, I'll allow discussion on new series. Still, be considerate in regards to spoilers and such.
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
no no no, don't back down to pressure, I've been telling people to stop posting about Samurai 8 spoiler EVERY SINGLE WEEK
enforce the spoiler ban, chapters discussion goes in the manga section of the forums
this will keep the thread free of MHA vs BC bullshit and HxH """"chads""" posting

and in regards to questions about it, that how this thread have always been
also, Sunday, Magazine, Champions etc threads are all magazine talk only and free of spoiler so this thread shouldn't be different
people talk about manga generally but don't talk about the chapters weekly



this is fine, it's related to the magazine talk since they affect it
but after the first 2 or maybe 3 chapter it's no longer new so it should go in the manga section
I'd say the cutoff date should be once it's relatively certain that the series is going to be part of Jump's lineup. If a series will/won't be part of the roster is an important question.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
IMO

I say when the discussion/post turn into just about talking about the series (especially in reaction to the latest chapter) rather than its relevance in the magazine, as in "meta talk" (series Survivability , seemingly endings, ) then , those kinds of post should go to the specific series thread(s)

I think reactions can be valid, but only as a collective with all the series you read from that week issue(if you only read one... well go to the manga thread), and following the 24 hour rule (I personally say until the viz/m+ but that is just me),

story spoilers should still be tagged regardless,


tldr: if you just want to give chapter reactions for 1 series, go to the manga thread, new series get a pass(to a certain extent), but make it a collective of all the series you read


then again I don't participate is series discussion (Since I couldn't care less).... so.... eh
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

only the prologue will be in GIGA

Yoco Akiyama is a great mangaka, her work on Saguri-chan was great
the fact she managed to draw color pages for every single chapter is amazing

it's a bummer that she will go to Saikyo, one of the few Jump magazines without a digital release

Jump should be careful of how they treat her Square Enix/Manga UP are trying to steal her this there comment under her Nier Automata fanart
they probably want her to make a 2B manga (which could be amazing not gonna lie lol)

 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,396
Reaction score
39,081
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Saikyo Jump? what a strange choice, most of the mangas there are for little kids, something like this seems more appropriate for V Jump, but i just found now that a new Nube manga is being published on Saikyo Jump called "Jigoku Sensei Nube S" lol
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
So looking at this week's TOC I notice that Jujutsu Kaisen is pretty high up in the ranks. I haven't followed the TOC for Jump for a while so I didn't now about the series until a few weeks ago and I looked it up on honto.jp and saw the first 5 chapters of volume 1 were available for free so I decided to give it a quick read and the series looks pretty interesting. Though before HI decide to buy the set of the first 5 volumes I have a few questions.
1. Has the series' ranking been pretty consistent in all the time it has run so far or does it often end up towards the bottom?
2. Does it suffer from what I qualify as the "Black Clover effect" in that a battle occurs, no one can do anything about the enemy until the MC somehow shows up to defeat it, rinse and repeat. I mean the simplicity of Black Clover is most likely what made it popular but I have no interest in following a series with a similar pattern so was just wondering if Jujutsu Kaisen had a pattern similar to that?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
FYI, I still think Yuuna is ending sooner than later, and the May PV is still my evidence to that.


Note that, aside from Chainsaw Man (which I can only assume lacked an advertising team at the time), the only series excluded from the rollcall are Soma, Hinomaru, Boruto and Yuuna, the former three of which have all transferred out or ended in the subsequent months. Granted, the possibility is that Jump wants to distance themselves from the series (which doesn't make sense IMO, why would they keep the series running at all?), but I think it's more likely that Miura has already confirmed his planned ending for the manga with Jump and thus Shueisha sees relatively little reason to keep advertising the manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Chainsaw Man Vol 1 is on its sixth printing. Vol 2 is on its fourth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top