Discussion - Boku no Hero Academia: Vigilantes | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Boku no Hero Academia: Vigilantes

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This thread is for the discussion of the spin-off "Boku no Hero Academia: Vigilantes".
Keep the rules about spoilers in mind when discussing the newest chapters.

SoulFire

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
All I can say is that if folks don't think Vigilantes is a canon connection to MHA, they better check out this chapter! I wasn't expecting to see the mystery student from Aisawa's past to make his appearance here!

Kato756

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Sure, this is a free manga, but still, I disliked this move a lot. Not having to read 6854509 comics at a time to understand one story is what I like in manga.

On just the plot side, I liked Shirakumo. Too bad hes gonna get f*cked either mentally or physically

KOBA

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Not having to read 6854509 comics at a time to understand one story is what I like in manga.
Well it's not critical to main story. Its side story of a side character. Horikoshi probably didn't find a way to add it in the main story. But didn't want it to go to waste.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Sure, this is a free manga, but still, I disliked this move a lot. Not having to read 6854509 comics at a time to understand one story is what I like in manga.
Same here. With Vigilantes, School Briefs, Heroes: Rising and now TUM I reached the point where I just say "Fuck it!"
For me, if it's not in the manga written and drawn by Horikoshi, I don't care about it and don't see it as canon.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was a great chapter. Shirakumo was a welcomed surprise. Like Stain, it looks like we're getting backstory on a possible antagonist. Also, shoutout to the Red Riding Hood reference. I love it when the series does things like that.

On just the plot side, I liked Shirakumo. Too bad hes gonna get f*cked either mentally or physically
Woah. Woah. Woah. None of the MHA spin-offs are required reading. They're supplemental to the main series. They give you more information on the world and some characters but it'll never be required. We don't have to know about Aizawa's insecurities as a student and we don't have to know the details about Shirakumo shown here. Horikoshi will tell the main series only fans everything they need to know.

Well it's not critical to main story. Its side story of a side character. Horikoshi probably didn't find a way to add it in the main story. But didn't want it to go to waste.
Exactly. Every supporting character can't get a backstory. So instead, there's a chance we can see it in Vigilantes.

Same here. With Vigilantes, School Briefs, Heroes: Rising and now TUM I reached the point where I just say "Fuck it!"
For me, if it's not in the manga written and drawn by Horikoshi, I don't care about it and don't see it as canon.
Why are people getting frustrated about the spin-offs? You don't have to read them. None of it's required. It adds to the lore, it takes place in the same universe but that's it.

That's being said, My Hero Vigilantes is canon. Horikoshi has gone on record saying he working with the spin-off's creators. The official English translator for the series at Viz treats it like its canon. You don't have to like it or read it, but don't dismiss it as non-canon.

Avtarino

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
This is now my exact same attitude towards the non-main-manga materials. Though, as time goes, I think more and more that Vigs is the biggest offender. Reason being, compared to other non-canon materials, Vigs tries the hardest to insert itself and influence the main story, while having huge glaring problems, such as:

1. Nonsensical "cameos"
    • (Aizawa, Midnight, and Mic appears in every turn that the Vigs trio is involved because "why the heck not?"). It feels more and more that the main-story characters are just being dragged into Vigs to try to appeal to the main manga audience, ("hey check this out, we have the story for Stain! Iida Tensei! Fat! and Aizawa!"), not to serve these characters a decent and satisfactory story.
  2. Characters acting OOC
    • For example: Aizawa is aloof, not snarky like what Vigs shows; Endy is hotheaded, but he's not an idiot. There's no way he would almost accidentally burned a villain that looked like a living bomb; AM is clumsy, but there's no way he'd be so clumsy that he would reveal his identity to a person he just met--which, according to Vigs, this is how Tsukauchi, AM's police friend, found out AM's real identity.
  3. Powerscaling that does not fit the main story
    • Some random American hero can fly and have super strength but for some reason he had zero impact to the society. Some random hero can accelerate himself so fast that he could become imperceptible, clearly beating out all the speedster heroes in the main story. Some villains in Vigs just outright have regeneration when in the main story, AFO had been hunting for this quirk for a while.
  4. Outright weird timeline.
    • Vigs happen in the past, but not too far in the past, a lot of people estimate that Vigs happened while the main cast is still in middle school. But for some reason, Midnight, Aizawa, and Mic haven't become teachers in UA at this point. Meanwhile, in the main story, Aizawa had made a reputation for being a very strict teacher who will expel students left and right, going as far as expelling an entire class. Is this reputation supposed to be built in less than 5 years?
    • AM and Tsukauchi is very familiar with each other, in the main manga, Tsukauchi went as far as saying that "We will capture AFO for sure this time", indicating that they must have known each other before AM fought AFO for the first time. But for some reason, Vigs says that Tsukauchi and AM met only after AM fought AFO and become skelly-might. Again, inconsistent with the main story.
Comparing Vigs to other non-main-manga materials: SMASH!! is clearly a gag, so you're not supposed to take it seriously. TUM, so far, looks like a lighthearted story with zero plot relevance, kinda like the School Briefs/LNs but in manga form. The movies fill in short stretches of time that the manga doesn't cover, basically like every big shonen movies does.

That's being said, My Hero Vigilantes is canon. Horikoshi has gone on record saying he working with the spin-off's creators. The official English translator for the series at Viz treats it like its canon. You don't have to like it or read it, but don't dismiss it as non-canon.
Hori hasn't explicitly shown any plot points or characters from Vigs. The quirk-booster wasn't named in the main story, the Naruhata Vigilantes was never mentioned, let alone name-dropped or appear in the flesh. The additional materials are not to be considered canon, especially in this kind of work (battle shonen) where additional story is made to cater to the audience, not to serve the story. Canonicity is like a handshake, the main story has to acknowledge the spinoff, not just the spinoff just taking plot points that the main story generated. So far, what Vigs has done is taking story elements that the main story has thrown, like Fat's "mission in the past", and now Aizawa's "past". Until Hori dispels this "plausible deniability" and "accepted the handshake", Vigs is not canon
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I don’t know if the relegation of Aizawa’s backstory to Vigs is a cause for celebration. In my eyes, it’s the opposite. What this means, who Aizawa is and his history will never become important enough to warrant a dedicated spotlight in the main series.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is now my exact same attitude towards the non-main-manga materials. Though, as time goes, I think more and more that Vigs is the biggest offender. Reason being, compared to other non-canon materials, Vigs tries the hardest to insert itself and influence the main story, while having huge glaring problems, such as:

1. Nonsensical "cameos"
    • (Aizawa, Midnight, and Mic appears in every turn that the Vigs trio is involved because "why the heck not?"). It feels more and more that the main-story characters are just being dragged into Vigs to try to appeal to the main manga audience, ("hey check this out, we have the story for Stain! Iida Tensei! Fat! and Aizawa!"), not to serve these characters a decent and satisfactory story.
  2. Characters acting OOC
    • For example: Aizawa is aloof, not snarky like what Vigs shows; Endy is hotheaded, but he's not an idiot. There's no way he would almost accidentally burned a villain that looked like a living bomb; AM is clumsy, but there's no way he'd be so clumsy that he would reveal his identity to a person he just met--which, according to Vigs, this is how Tsukauchi, AM's police friend, found out AM's real identity.
  3. Powerscaling that does not fit the main story
    • Some random American hero can fly and have super strength but for some reason he had zero impact to the society. Some random hero can accelerate himself so fast that he could become imperceptible, clearly beating out all the speedster heroes in the main story. Some villains in Vigs just outright have regeneration when in the main story, AFO had been hunting for this quirk for a while.
  4. Outright weird timeline.
    • Vigs happen in the past, but not too far in the past, a lot of people estimate that Vigs happened while the main cast is still in middle school. But for some reason, Midnight, Aizawa, and Mic haven't become teachers in UA at this point. Meanwhile, in the main story, Aizawa had made a reputation for being a very strict teacher who will expel students left and right, going as far as expelling an entire class. Is this reputation supposed to be built in less than 5 years?
    • AM and Tsukauchi is very familiar with each other, in the main manga, Tsukauchi went as far as saying that "We will capture AFO for sure this time", indicating that they must have known each other before AM fought AFO for the first time. But for some reason, Vigs says that Tsukauchi and AM met only after AM fought AFO and become skelly-might. Again, inconsistent with the main story.
Comparing Vigs to other non-main-manga materials: SMASH!! is clearly a gag, so you're not supposed to take it seriously. TUM, so far, looks like a lighthearted story with zero plot relevance, kinda like the School Briefs/LNs but in manga form. The movies fill in short stretches of time that the manga doesn't cover, basically like every big shonen movies does.

Hori hasn't explicitly shown any plot points or characters from Vigs. The quirk-booster wasn't named in the main story, the Naruhata Vigilantes was never mentioned, let alone name-dropped or appear in the flesh. The additional materials are not to be considered canon, especially in this kind of work (battle shonen) where additional story is made to cater to the audience, not to serve the story. Canonicity is like a handshake, the main story has to acknowledge the spinoff, not just the spinoff just taking plot points that the main story generated. So far, what Vigs has done is taking story elements that the main story has thrown, like Fat's "mission in the past", and now Aizawa's "past". Until Hori dispels this "plausible deniability" and "accepted the handshake", Vigs is not canon
Since when does the main story have to acknowledge a spin-off of it to be legit? This isn't the MCU. There's no ultimate team-up between the Vigilantes and Deku coming. This is simply a story taking place in the same world years before the main series starts.

Continuity doesn't necessarily work like a handshake. Stories can take place in the same world and not reference each other. This isn't fan fiction. It's a legitimate story happening in the MHA universe under the consent of Horikoshi and published under the same parent company as the main series.

I don't know what else to say. Yeah, Vigilantes is expanding on throwaway lines said by certain characters and giving others a more fleshed-out backstory. Lines and characters from the main series. What more do you want? The Crawler showing up randomly in MHA to go bowling with Aizawa? As I said before, this is a supplemental series. The main series doesn't have to mention Koichi or the other main characters, that's the point. We get to learn more about the world and certain characters from the main series that doesn't directly impact the main series story. It's additional information, it isn't required reading.

Horikoshi and the official Viz translator for MHA and MHV treat them like they're happening in the same universe. If that's not good enough for you we'll just have to agree to disagree.

EDIT; Guess I'll address more of your points in detail

Nonsensical "cameos"
You're right about characters from the main series coming in to appeal to the main series readers. That's because people who read the main series are more likely to pick up Vigilantes. Nothing wrong with that. You could say it connects the two stories more. And how is learning more about Iida's brother, Stain, Aizawa, etc. hurting these characters? There's no room to put these stories in the main series that's why they can be told in Vigilantes. They're getting more focus. That's a good thing.

Characters acting OOC
Aizawa taking naps in his sleeping bag at U.A. is him acting aloof.

Endeavor made a mistake, it happens. Like him forcing his kid to be a hero or turning his back on his other kids or making his wife so miserable she hurt her son because she thought he was becoming more like his father.

All Might didn't notice Deku holding on to him in the first chapter and ending up revealing his identity to him. I'm not seeing any OOC here.

Powerscaling that does not fit the main story
Captain Celebrity was a total jerk until recently. He wasn't in it to help society as much as helping himself be famous.

O'Clock was fast, yes, but we don't know how good a hero he was. We don't know his ranking or how long he's been inactive since Vigilante's first chapter. It seems like you're implying these guys should've stopped crime period. If that's the case, why is there crime in the DC and Marvel universes? You seem to be holding them to an extremely high standard. All Might wanted to be a symbol of peace. These two probably never even thought about it or couldn't because they have other priorities like their families.

Regeneration? Are you talking about No. 6? If so, then AFO already has access to that power because it's highly likely he's part of AFO's organization. The Villain Factory is what the police is calling it.

Outright weird timeline.
Midnight is a teacher and Present Mic will start next semester. Yes, Aizawa isn't a teacher yet, but there's been no official date when Vigilantes takes place and we don't know the circumstances under Aizawa expelling those kids. It's not weird, it's unexplained.

Sounds like you make these arguments without reading Vigilantes. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

And since you brought up the movie. Horikoshi gave the next movie's main villain a brief cameo in MHA. Under your handshake argument, that movie's canon. Explain to me how that's canon and not Vigilantes even though multiple characters from the main series are in it and nothing so far has contradicted the main series?

Last edited:

Sirin

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Explain to me how that's canon and not Vigilantes even though multiple characters from the main series are in it and nothing so far has contradicted the main series?
Following this logic of yours, many fanfics or dojinshis should be considered canon, just because there are multiple characters from the main series in them, and they don’t contradict the main series.

But no, Vigilantes do contradict. Both chronologically and factually. Such as, in Vigilantes All Might’s hero office is said to be in Hokkaido, while the canon clearly states it’s in Tokyo. Or almost gag-like appearance of a whole bunch of the random canonic heroes of all the ranks at the same time, in the same place, even if normally they are working in different cities or even regions. I can scrutinise the whole spin-off and bombard you with the facts, but Avtarino has already provided quite solid arguments, yet you seem to give a blind eye them to try and protect the “canonicity” of Vigilantes. What for? You are free to read it, to like it or to hate it, it’s not like it being non-canonic is going to change your attitude towards it. Or is it?

Only what Horikoshi writes/draws is canon, it’s that simple. Original manga, Ultra Archive and the upcoming Ultra Analysis, All Might Rising, all the characters profiles and little extras in the tankobons — these are canon. Everything else is just as canonic as any fanfic or dojinshi. You are free to enjoy them, but stating that they are canonic is absurd.

Edit.
“Horikoshi and the official Viz translator for MHA and MHV treat them like they're happening in the same universe. If that's not good enough for you we'll just have to agree to disagree.” - you say.
But of course they do. It’s good for the sales. Check out the amazing new spin-off! New volume of Vigilantes on sale on the same day as the original manga! Yaaay!

Horikoshi was just as supportive for Smash, and it doesn’t make it canonic. And for Watashi no hero academia, which pretty much ended after a couple of yonkomas, and now Akiyama is out there again with TUM. It’s nice and sweet that both assistants, ex-assistants and just random people are so enthusiastic about BNHA they want to add something new to it, but they are not Horikoshi, and whatever they create will remain a non-canonic content, unless Horikoshi somehow introduces it into the main manga. Such as with Nine in chapter 222, yes. Since Horikoshi is directly involved in creation of the films - they are canonic. However, his involvement into creation of spin-offs is more like “wow, that’s so nice, keep going, I’ll provide you with a comment page and a sketch in the new volume”. The same as with the light novels and Smash.

Last edited:

Paze

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Vigs contradicting the story doesn't make it non canon, it can still be canon, it just means the canon now has a contradiction. Many stories have contradictions inside themselves including BNHA.

Hori was pretty clear about vigs being cannon, and now he's gone as far as to mention Shirakumo in the main story right before he appears in vigs. Smash is obviously not canon even though Hori supports it,but Vigs has many character back stories now that are meant to be taken seriously, why would they allow that if they wouldn't also be treating it as part of the canon?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

"It takes place in the same my hero universe"

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Following this logic of yours, many fanfics or dojinshis should be considered canon, just because there are multiple characters from the main series in them, and they don’t contradict the main series.

But no, Vigilantes do contradict. Both chronologically and factually. Such as, in Vigilantes All Might’s hero office is said to be in Hokkaido, while the canon clearly states it’s in Tokyo. Or almost gag-like appearance of a whole bunch of the random canonic heroes of all the ranks at the same time, in the same place, even if normally they are working in different cities or even regions. I can scrutinise the whole spin-off and bombard you with the facts, but Avtarino has already provided quite solid arguments, yet you seem to give a blind eye them to try and protect the “canonicity” of Vigilantes. What for? You are free to read it, to like it or to hate it, it’s not like it being non-canonic is going to change your attitude towards it. Or is it?

Only what Horikoshi writes/draws is canon, it’s that simple. Original manga, Ultra Archive and the upcoming Ultra Analysis, All Might Rising, all the characters profiles and little extras in the tankobons — these are canon. Everything else is just as canonic as any fanfic or dojinshi. You are free to enjoy them, but stating that they are canonic is absurd.

Edit.
“Horikoshi and the official Viz translator for MHA and MHV treat them like they're happening in the same universe. If that's not good enough for you we'll just have to agree to disagree.” - you say.
But of course they do. It’s good for the sales. Check out the amazing new spin-off! New volume of Vigilantes on sale on the same day as the original manga! Yaaay!

Horikoshi was just as supportive for Smash, and it doesn’t make it canonic. And for Watashi no hero academia, which pretty much ended after a couple of yonkomas, and now Akiyama is out there again with TUM. It’s nice and sweet that both assistants, ex-assistants and just random people are so enthusiastic about BNHA they want to add something new to it, but they are not Horikoshi, and whatever they create will remain a non-canonic content, unless Horikoshi somehow introduces it into the main manga. Such as with Nine in chapter 222, yes. Since Horikoshi is directly involved in creation of the films - they are canonic. However, his involvement into creation of spin-offs is more like “wow, that’s so nice, keep going, I’ll provide you with a comment page and a sketch in the new volume”. The same as with the light novels and Smash.
I was using Avtarino's handshake argument to ask that question, not mine.

As for why I care? It's because there's nothing to suggest Vigilantes isn't canon and, in fact, is building on MHA. Not just with cameos but diving a little deeper into how the hero system began and showing us (my assumption) how the Nomu can into being. First with experimenting on people, then making artificial beings like the bomb monsters and whatever No. 6 is. These are closely connected world-building elements to the main story that wouldn't need to be there if it wasn't canon.

I'm not going to dive deep on anything other than My Hero Vigilantes. I've read little to none of everything else and have no idea on Horikoshi or any other official person's thoughts on them compared to the main series. This isn't All or Nothing, each spin-off should individually be taken into account on whether they're canon or not.

The DC and Marvel universes are prime examples of stories written by different authors taking place the same world. It's not as simple as Horikoshi wrote it. As long as Horkoski acknowledges its canon, its canon. And, I've heard nothing to hint at him saying it's not. Instead, he's working with Vigilantes' mangaka to make sure everything falls into place. Call it lipservice if you like, but I'd rather take Horikoshi at face value.

That Vigilante chapter said All Might himself was away in Hokkaido. The office is in Tokyo. You can see Tokyo Tower near it on the last page. Feel free to hit me with any facts you got. I responded to Avtarino's and I'll do the same for you. His argument wasn't solid. You're free to call it my personal crusade. But, whether my enjoyment of the series lesses or not makes no difference. I'm stating what I believe just like you.

You seem to be giving a similar argument to Avtarino that because Horkoshi put Nine in the main series the upcoming movie is canon. You're right. And, yes, Horikoshi was involved with the making of the movie and acknowledges its canon, but he didn't write it. Yōsuke Kuroda did. What's the difference besides Koichi not showing up in the main series? Horikoshi used the opportunity on that page to give the movie a shout out. It's possible Shueshia asked him to do it. He can't do that with Koichi, Pop Step or Knuckleduster because Vigilantes takes place in the past and showing them in the current timeline could be a spoiler.

You said only what Horikoshi writes is canon, that's false. You compared Vigilantes (an official series) to fan fiction, that's false. Again, you and anyone's enjoyment of My Hero Vigilantes doesn't make it canon, including mine. I'm simply stating there's nothing to say it's non-canon.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
With the way vigilantes is going I'd say that the most reasonable way to look at it is to consider it cannon... until it isn't. As in, cannon until horikoshi states otherwise either through his own words or through the main series. And so far what he says suggest vigilantes is cannon to the main story. Regardless of a few continuity errors or fan service.

As for captain celebrity... The issue here is that in the main series we only see top heroes from japan. The rankings we see, as far as we know, do not take into account heroes from other countries. And there is zero mention of them in the series altogether (which I would argue is in itself a bit of a plot hole but that's a separate issue). So given that the series exists in a bubble where heroes from other countries don't matter its not that weird that he doesn't impact society all that much. If there is a world ranking for heroes then things ought to be different though.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
If Hero Rankings are used to grade heroes, it's no wonder they're limited to their country of business. Can't except a hero getting votes from another country if they don't help people there. Not sure if Captain Celebrity ever got on Japan's hero ranking list. If he's officially working there he should. From how people reacted to C.C., a hero working in another country isn't unfounded. O'Clock worked in China under the name Hyper Quadfist, after all.

I don't consider fan service a legit reason to say Vigilantes is or isn't canon. As for continuity errors, I'm still waiting for someone to point out something glaringly wrong. And, if there's anyone still wondering if Vigilantes isn't canon:

You don't make a 100% claim like that without checking with the higher-ups first. If the official English translator says it's canon, it's canon.

KennyKuro

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
The authors have done a great job showcasing the friendship between the three.
I have always thought that Furuhashi is a good writer when it comes to the interaction and personality of the characters. He knows how to handle that level of charisma and that's why I enjoy Vigilantes so much.

Cat Sidhe26

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States