Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,721
Gender
Male
Country
Spain

Astro Kyudan deserves an anime adaptation. The title that introduced fantastic action in Shonen Jump in 1973.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom

Astro Kyudan deserves an anime adaptation. The title that introduced fantastic action in Shonen Jump in 1973.
As important as it is, I don’t really agree. Like it hasn’t aged nearly as well as other titles from the same time period.
Like it’d be nice, but they’d probably have to change a lot to make it work
 

CrimsonEpitaph

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2018
Messages
84
Reaction score
91
Age
35
Country
Israel
Mathematically speaking, yeah, DBS would overtake SxF but the gap would be so low, SxF 12th's chapter would again overtake DBS and get a huge advantage in views, since the growth for both series is basically around 150k (we would be talking about a 158k views growth per chapter for DBS and a 134k~161k views growth for SxF, since calculating it with the extra WSJ chapters messes it up and makes it a bit harder to calculate). Anyway, we can still celebrate.

And yeah, it's reaaaaaally low, but basically because the only thing spanish readers want on the website is One Piece or Dragon Ball Super, because, well, that's how it is. They don't even try new series or got any interest on it, and almost whole spanish readership of SxF have been reading it on english and will probably stick to the english version rather than spanish one (this basically generates a discussion about Castilian Spanish or Latinamerican Spanish being more suited, favourite by readers or not. And well, they basically don't like the spanish translation).
Spanish readers also read MHA, it's Spanish version has around 525k views now.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Seeing early TOCs, interesting to see Rurouni Kenshin was Bottom 1 three times (Ou-sama wa Roba was a gag manga holding the bottom place) and Bottom 2 (once) early in it's run, before it started breaking out at Chapter 25.
 

Psyrio

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 1, 2019
Messages
34
Reaction score
54
Age
27
Country
Algeria
I want a full blown adventure series. It doesn't even need to be a battle series, really. Just a really awesome setting that has an interesting hook and good characters.
I could get down with that as well.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I'm up to date with act age, and I will say that now I understand why so many people like, what a good manga to read.

If I had to make a top 10 with the best readings of the year, that's it for now.

Kimetsu no Yaiba
Black clover
Act age
Chainsaw man
Kaguya sama: love is war
Spy × family
Jujutsu Kaisen
World trigger
Kemono jihen
The last saiyuki
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
So I decided to give S8 a try after all (don't worry, I'll only talk about it once). The preview chapter has a certain childish charm to it, though the drawings are distracting at times. Giving exposition in the form of wishes is... actually not a bad idea, even if it's extremely convenient.
Then the first chapter completely lost me with its exposition, the MC acting like a whiny brat, weird character designs and chaotic imagery. Looks like this one isn't for me.

Hina Change and Dear Sa-chan are also dropped on account of all of the characters being either horrible people or passive victims. Is there a ranking for Jump+ series? I'm curious how these two are doing.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
So I decided to give S8 a try after all (don't worry, I'll only talk about it once). The preview chapter has a certain childish charm to it, though the drawings are distracting at times. Giving exposition in the form of wishes is... actually not a bad idea, even if it's extremely convenient.
Then the first chapter completely lost me with its exposition, the MC acting like a whiny brat, weird character designs and chaotic imagery. Looks like this one isn't for me.

Hina Change and Dear Sa-chan are also dropped on account of all of the characters being either horrible people or passive victims. Is there a ranking for Jump+ series? I'm curious how these two are doing.
You mean like japanese rankings? In Shonen Jump+, in the popularity (人気) ranking it goes like this:

Hina Change #29 - 2.949.751 views (5 chapters).
Dear Sa-chan #35 - 2.491.285 views (5 chapters).

Then in the 'hot' ranking? I don't exactly know the meaning of this (いいジャン), it would be:

Hina Change #7
Dear Sa-Chan #79
 
Last edited:

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
So I decided to give S8 a try after all (don't worry, I'll only talk about it once). The preview chapter has a certain childish charm to it, though the drawings are distracting at times. Giving exposition in the form of wishes is... actually not a bad idea, even if it's extremely convenient.
Then the first chapter completely lost me with its exposition, the MC acting like a whiny brat, weird character designs and chaotic imagery. Looks like this one isn't for me.

Hina Change and Dear Sa-chan are also dropped on account of all of the characters being either horrible people or passive victims. Is there a ranking for Jump+ series? I'm curious how these two are doing.
Jump+ wise, Hina and Sa-chan are doing around 300k+ views per chapters recently, Hina a bit better (Hina's chapter days ago did 375k in the views per Jump+) app. Decent but not fantastic. Enough to stand out of a lot of other manga on the service.

2.5 Jigen no Yuuwaku is a monster out of the newbies though, going 600k per chapter.

Also that princess interrogation gag manga had been doing well, curious to see how Vol 1 does.
 

revo68

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 21, 2018
Messages
566
Reaction score
4,120
Age
32
Country
Singapore
ネバラン
鬼滅
ワンピ
ストーン
ヒロアカ
ハイキュー センターカラー
呪術
チェンソー
群青のバトロ センターカラー
ブラクロ
ぼく勉 センターカラー
アクタ
ゆらぎ
サムライ
髪緒
西遊記 最終回
忍
ビースト
ふたり

夜桜さんちの大作戦 権平ひつじ 表紙巻頭
ボーンコレクション 雲母坂盾 読み切りセンターカラー

ミタマセキュ霊ティ 鳩胸つるん 40号掲載

ストーン センターカラー
ブラクロ センターカラー

38
The Promised Neverland (Cover & LCP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
One Piece
Dr. Stone
My Hero Academia
Haikyuu!! (CP)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
Ultramarine Battle by Furuta Seiran (Oneshot/47p/CP)
Black Clover
We Never Learn (CP)
act-age
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Samurai 8 Hachimaruden
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
Saigo no Saiyuuki (END)
Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Beast Children
Futari no Taisei

39
Cover/LCP: Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen by Gondaira Hitsuji
CP: Dr Stone; Black Clover; Bone Collection (Oneshot/CP) by Kirarazaka Jun

40
Mitama Secureity by Hatomune Tsurun

 
Last edited:

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
38
The Promised Neverland (Cover & LCP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
One Piece
Dr. Stone
My Hero Academia
Haikyuu!! (CP)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
Ultramarine Battle by Furuta Seiran (Oneshot/47p/CP)
Black Clover
We Never Learn (CP)
act-age
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Samurai 8 Hachimaruden
Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
Saigo no Saiyuuki (END)
Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Beast Children
Futari no Taisei

39
Cover/LCP:Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen by Gondaira Hitsuji
CP: Dr Stone; Black Clover; Bone Collection (Oneshot/CP) by Kirarazaka Jun

40
Mitama Secureity by Hatomune Tsurun
Hey, Poro's author is back.
Let's see if it's serializing with the concept that won GFC because Poro's wasn't the best decision to launch in that time.

The author of the other new series had a series on Jump+ called Mukidashi no Hakuchou that run for 4 volumes and it seems like it was a comedy(?). I'm not sure because haven't hear/read about it.
Here is one of its volumes.

 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I hope that at least one of those two isn't a gag manga. I understand that Jump is right now lacking in an established comedy, but trying to get an already declining genre off the ground at a time when so many established series have either ended or are approaching their ends seems like a recipe for disaster.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I was actually a fan a Poro, despite it’s flaws, and love the mangaka’s art style. Probably one of my favorites from past Jump that have yet to have a successful serialization.

REALLY hoping he gets a success this time.

I didn’t post my Axed Jump Manga Tier List, but I put Poro in my A section, so that goes to show I was really hoping he’d come back soon
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,973
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Mitama means the soul of the dead so expect supernatural
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Didn't expect to see Poro's author back so soon.

Rest in peace Saiyuki, the next one is Tokyo Shinobi Squad
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I didn't like Poro very much, but I saw potential in the author, I think it can be good. Let's see, I guess.

Samurai 8 is in a relatively bad spot again, interesting. And I guess Yui will be saved again because the newbies are even worse? That would be impressive.
 

IzayaDLL

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 31, 2018
Messages
29
Reaction score
59
Age
27
Country
Peru
I hope that at least one of those two isn't a gag manga. I understand that Jump is right now lacking in an established comedy, but trying to get an already declining genre off the ground at a time when so many established series have either ended or are approaching their ends seems like a recipe for disaster.
Why you hate gag manga so much?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
It's in the middle. That's not relatively bad. Relatively bad would be bottom five. Terrible would be the very bottom.
I mean, it's technically not bottom five, but it's just above a bunch of series which have been passed off as axe fodder by most people. That's not terrible, but it's not exactly great when you consider the amount of hype that was backing it.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Mitama means the soul of the dead so expect supernatural
Assuming it's an exorcism series, that's kinda crazy. They're going to oversaturate the magazine with that genre, it feels like.

Then again, clearly the readers like that genre, so it makes sense to cater to it, but still.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I mean, it's technically not bottom five, but it's just above a bunch of series which have been passed off as axe fodder by most people. That's not terrible, but it's not exactly great when you consider the amount of hype that was backing it.
It doesn't mean anything. The ToC is largely irrelevant outside of the bottom five. This was more than likely editor-placed.

Don't look into it too much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top