Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Since the end of Naruto I feel that jump has been investing in more experimental things, and this has become more evident with the debut of manga like act-age and chainsaw man.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think the jump is in a good moment, has a good variety of manga and I think it's silly when there are people who say that such a genre is missing, if you don't like it, Japanese people can't do anything.
After all, there's no way we can participate in Japan's popularity surveys.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
After all, there's no way we can participate in Japan's popularity surveys.
I do recall that we had something similar through the English Viz subscription. Basically they let us vote on what series they should translate. It had no baring on if the series survived, for obvious reasons.

mangaplus completely invalidated that practice, funny enough.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
If feel like that question requires a stark analysis of the market. From a purely objective perspective, the 2000s is the more experimental decade, it saw numerous innovations and out-of-the-box thought experiments that, while having mixed results, were still very much interesting.

Thing is, though, we have to keep in mind that what stays in Jump is from the popularity of the audience, and what becomes popular is determined by a great multiple of factors. Gag manga, for example, has declined to the point of being outright absent at this point, but the entire market for the genre has declined greatly due to the loss of younger readers and shortening of long-term interest, so from a technical perspective one can say it's an understandable loss. Likewise, hard "innovations" to genre formulas are largely absent, but, considering how much Oda's generation did to innovate, that can again be viewed as understandable.

If we look at it from the perspective of trying to create the best fiction possible, I think Jump is in a stronger place than ever because the audience is one which desires such fiction. While it is a shame that series which tried more unique formats and direct concepts like SKET Dance and Toriko among others have become somewhat discouraged, I think it's largely a non-issue as long as the manga itself remains good.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I do recall that we had something similar through the English Viz subscription. Basically they let us vote on what series they should translate. It had no baring on if the series survived, for obvious reasons.

mangaplus completely invalidated that practice, funny enough.
We have no voice, that is the truth. We depend on the goodwill of the Japanese, they decide what is still being published on the jump and what will be canceled.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We have no voice, that is the truth. We depend on the goodwill of the Japanese, they decide what is still being published on the jump and what will be canceled.
We can import, technically. But you're right about the surveys. At least, until they go digital. Assuming they ever do, it would be as easy as using a VPN and just knowing what to type.

I get your argument, though. However, can you blame them? Japan is their biggest market by far. It makes sense for them to cater to their tastes.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I'd agree they're less experimental than other magazines. For example I don't recall any romance series in Jump that aren't harems while Tonikaku Kawaii fills that role in Sunday. Or act-age is essentially just a sports series with acting while Beastars (admitting has little to do with acting) was a murder mystery and continues on with the mystery stuff even with that solve. It's also fairly early at only 2 chapters but SHY feels like a lot less of a shonen battle series with super heroes like MHA does and more a super hero series.

I did vote yes though because they aren't just trying to "replace" series. They seem to try and keep certain genre staples (rom-com, battle, adventure. gag [kinda]) but at the same time when Food Wars and Sumo ended they didn't (at least from the looks of things) try a bunch of sports series.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
What is "Wh40k"? I'm talking about the one shot of this week issue, Ultramarine Battle or Gunjou no Batoro
Wh40k stands for Warhammer 40k, another universe apart from Warhammer Fantasy, both Tabletop Games where you put armies on the table and play against each other for blood and g(l)ory. Starcraft and Warcraft were both inspired by it, I think Warcraft was even supposed to be a Warhammer game but the Warhammer owners did not like it so the devs used what they made and created their own "Orc vs Men" universe. It got quite a lot of Memes, tons of video games and a huge fanbase.


In said Universe the Ultramarines exist who are a Chapter of Gen-engineered Super-Soldiers glad in Powerarmor and firing mini rockets as regular armor from their Bolters (that's the name for their guns). It is why I thought for a second it was a manga about Ultramarines doing battle for their Emperor.^^


Hope that clarified why I was confused for a moment there.^^
I wouldn't mind a Wh40k or WhF manga from a good artist in Japan but I doubt Games Workshop, the owners of those Universes, are thinking much about such Options. :/
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
We can import, technically. But you're right about the surveys. At least, until they go digital. Assuming they ever do, it would be as easy as using a VPN and just knowing what to type.

I get your argument, though. However, can you blame them? Japan is their biggest market by far. It makes sense for them to cater to their tastes.
That's right, the Japanese market is strong.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Everyone wants to have a good laugh with emphasis on "good". So I doubt Japan doesn't want to have gag mangas or comedy mangas. There just hasn't been a "good" one yet that caught the attention of the masses.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Yozakura and mitama, If these two new manga can beat any of the veterans (maybe act-age or we never learn for example, even Black clover and boku no hero now that the elves arc and the villain arc are over, their hype should decrease slightly), they may have a chance to survive.

I think if one of them can be better than yuuna is already a good size.
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I absolutely love Yuuna and don't entirely hate seeing new series end instead of it, but it has established itself as the barrier to the actual bottom of the magazine. Like if you consistently place behind me, neither Shueisha or the people have much faith in you.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I feel like it’s most likely that Jump just hasn’t had a particularly great gag manga in a while. Not so much that Japan as a whole hates gag manga.

Also, the more I think of it, I feel like any genre will appeal to ppl if it’s good enough
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
New poll is up.
I do think WSJ can put out some VERY cool experimental stuff. Act-Age, Chainsaw Man, The Promised Neverland, and Dr. Stone are all titles that innovate in their respective genres. Even The Last Saiyuki had a storytelling style that felt a bit more daring and different from other series in the magazine. All these mangas contribute to the feeling that WSJ isn't afraid to try new things.

Something currently detracting from that feeling, however, is that the most recent batch of newcomers has been pretty uninspired, at least compared to the previously mentioned titles. They're not all bad, but it's hard to call any of them experimental. Double Taisei and Beast Children have yet to add anything fresh to the sports manga genre, the latter taking inspiration from Haikyuu to a fault. Samurai 8 fails to leave the impression that Kishimoto has learned any new tricks, and somehow Tokyo Samurai Squad borrows even more from Naruto's formula than S8 does.

That means we haven't gotten a series that feels experimental since like February or March of this year, so I guess my answer is that I'd like to see WSJ be a bit more daring than that. I have no idea how safe these two new series are going to play it, but fingers crossed that they're something weird.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
If saiyuki was simply released in the 2000's/ early 2010. It would easily survived as one of the greatest modern jump series. It shows how much the audience in jump has changed rather than manga itself, idk what's on the minds of Japanese people now but they should really put a bit more effort in Reading.

let's see how the next Shooters manga will break out in jump, I hope both of them survive. It's just cool having 2 gun mc's published on the same time, they really can make great collabs
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have a separate topic of discussion for everyone.

If you could have Jump copy another magazine's successful series, which would it be? And by copy, I don't mean literal plagiarism, but somewhat similar in certain aspects.

Like, would you want Jump's version of Detective Conan, or Beastars, etc.
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have a separate topic of discussion for everyone.

If you could have Jump copy another magazine's successful series, which would it be? And by copy, I don't mean literal plagiarism, but somewhat similar in certain aspects.

Like, would you want Jump's version of Detective Conan, or Beastars, etc.
I would like to see Jump's version of Komi-san. Just a really down to Earth, slice of life series with some awkward teenage hijinks and a little romance. Not really what Jump is known for, but David-kun tried a little, just couldn't capture enough hearts.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
If saiyuki was simply released in the 2000's/ early 2010. It would easily survived as one of the greatest modern jump series. It shows how much the audience in jump has changed rather than manga itself, idk what's on the minds of Japanese people now but they should really put a bit more effort in Reading.
kkkkkk are you seriously saying that during the age where we had mangas like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Toriko, Reborn, Beelzebub and many other big hits Saiyuki would survive and become one of the greatest? Saiyuki would have been cancelled even earlier at that time...
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
I do think WSJ can put out some VERY cool experimental stuff. Act-Age, Chainsaw Man, The Promised Neverland, and Dr. Stone are all titles that innovate in their respective genres. Even The Last Saiyuki had a storytelling style that felt a bit more daring and different from other series in the magazine. All these mangas contribute to the feeling that WSJ isn't afraid to try new things.

Something currently detracting from that feeling, however, is that the most recent batch of newcomers has been pretty uninspired, at least compared to the previously mentioned titles. They're not all bad, but it's hard to call any of them experimental. Double Taisei and Beast Children have yet to add anything fresh to the sports manga genre, the latter taking inspiration from Haikyuu to a fault. Samurai 8 fails to leave the impression that Kishimoto has learned any new tricks, and somehow Tokyo Samurai Squad borrows even more from Naruto's formula than S8 does.

That means we haven't gotten a series that feels experimental since like February or March of this year, so I guess my answer is that I'd like to see WSJ be a bit more daring than that. I have no idea how safe these two new series are going to play it, but fingers crossed that they're something weird.
That's so true, we now on a period of time from the 2000's being experimental, to now in late 2010's Breaking Barriers. Act-age , chainsawman , TPN , drstone. All showed, We arent scared, because we want to show something we like without thinking about what fit in Shonenjump.

And Funny enough they all mostly took inspiration outside jump too. it worked cuz the audiences were tired of the same thing jump spoon forced their fans in the previous era's.

That's why I also like manga so much over comics, it's not about selling ur product. It's about putting urself out the box, and evaluate the world and people
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I have a separate topic of discussion for everyone.

If you could have Jump copy another magazine's successful series, which would it be? And by copy, I don't mean literal plagiarism, but somewhat similar in certain aspects.

Like, would you want Jump's version of Detective Conan, or Beastars, etc.
Vinland Saga in Space.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top