Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
Yeah I already made one and it didn't fit, I mean I'm just gonna go forward and roll with it since it'll pop up as YozakurasanChinoDaisa on google.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Woah woah there, calm down with the reddit. Wait to read it first
The early bird catches the worm, No harm done it's not like it's a super hassle or anything.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
didn't they call Yui Kamio a supernatural battle series or something back when it was starting up?
Yeah. It's pretty likely USA doesn't want to promote the romantic aspect, since they may fear it alienates the audience.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
didn't they call Yui Kamio a supernatural battle series or something back when it was starting up?
Yeah. It's pretty likely USA doesn't want to promote the romantic aspect, since they may fear it alienates the audience.
I mean, hasn’t Yui Kamio mainly been a Supernatural Action series lately?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I mean, hasn’t Yui Kamio mainly been a Supernatural Action series lately?
Yes, but the shift was so utterly jarring that I can only assume that it was done because of how bad the general reception was.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I never actually read Yui Kamio.

How was it?
 

Lazarillo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
39
Reaction score
151
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I actually liked Yui Kamio a lot more before the genre shift; it's still decent, but I feel a lot more lost, that's for sure. Apparently, at least from what I've read, it's essentially been made into a stealth sequel for one of the artist's previous series, Nura. Which might explain why I'm so confused by it all the time now, I dunno.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I never actually read Yui Kamio.

How was it?
Short answer? Not very good.

Long answer is that it's a mess.

The manga basically started on a comedic premise of personality swapping mixed in with the angle of cliche shojo and delinquent manga, but it had nothing to grab readers on because the cast was far too thin (only three characters) and it seemed to have zero goal. Then it decided to randomly try upping the comedic, ecchi and romcom elements all at once, none of which melded together and led to the manga reading as disorganized and uninteresting. Then we got the infamous tonal shift in hard horror battle manga which doubled as a stealth sequal to Nura, a premise which the manga did a very poor job setting up and made the thing difficult to follow to anyone not already familiar with the author. Now it's basically a straight battle manga, only with a cast that has no foundation, and a story that has no direction.

Got it?
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I mean, hasn’t Yui Kamio mainly been a Supernatural Action series lately?
Yes, but the shift was so utterly jarring that I can only assume that it was done because of how bad the general reception was.
I stopped reading it so no idea but maybe if Viz was describing it that way from chapter 1 it's actually how it was planned to go all along (or mangaka somehow heard Viz calling it that and liked the idea)
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
I actually liked Yui Kamio a lot more before the genre shift; it's still decent, but I feel a lot more lost, that's for sure. Apparently, at least from what I've read, it's essentially been made into a stealth sequel for one of the artist's previous series, Nura. Which might explain why I'm so confused by it all the time now, I dunno.
I have read Nura, but I don't see the stealth sequel thing you mention in Kamio Yui.

It just seems the characters are fighting a supernatural thing.

I don't remember Mushi appear in Nura (although I admit I haven't seem all the manga).
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Yes, but the shift was so utterly jarring that I can only assume that it was done because of how bad the general reception was.
I mean, I don’t care about the quality. I’m pretty sure Viz/Jump promoted it as a “Supernatural Action” serious because the mangaka probably described it as a “Supernatural Action” series, and likely knew what kind of series he wanted it to be.
So Viz’ description of the series was accurate
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
I mean, I don’t care about the quality. I’m pretty sure Viz/Jump promoted it as a “Supernatural Action” serious because the mangaka probably described it as a “Supernatural Action” series, and likely knew what kind of series he wanted it to be.
So Viz’ description of the series was accurate
The thing is we don't know if that's the reason why the mangaka described Kamio Yui as "Supernatural Action"

It could be a coincidence that description fit the manga now.

It could be Viz just doesn't want to promote the romance aspect. It isn't so weird they want present Kamio Yui as mainly action, because they think it would be more attractive for the audience.
 

Lazarillo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
39
Reaction score
151
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have read Nura, but I don't see the stealth sequel thing you mention in Kamio Yui.

It just seems the characters are fighting a supernatural thing.

I don't remember Mushi appear in Nura (although I admit I haven't seem all the manga).
Also possible, since I didn't read Nura. It could be Yui is just confusing, as others have said.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
The thing is we don't know if that's the reason why the mangaka described Kamio Yui as "Supernatural Action"

It could be a coincidence that description fit the manga now.

It could be Viz just doesn't want to promote the romance aspect. It isn't so weird they want present Kamio Yui as mainly action, because they think it would be more attractive for the audience.
Why would they have an issue promoting a Romance series? They’ve promoted Romance series previously, continue to promote romance series, and have plenty of action series to promote if they want to promote an action series.

If they knew that the series wasn’t an action series and was purely a romance, or more romance than action, than promoting it as anything else is a horrible business tactic that do more harm than good in the long run.

False advertising and promoting a romance manga as an action manga is more likely to alienate their audiences than simply just promoting towards the many reader who actually enjoy and buy their romance licenses.

It’s a much more likely and reasonable scenario to assume that maybe the mangaka simply just intended it to be a supernatural action series from day one, and there is no major shift because of negative reception. It was described as a Supernatural Action from the magazine, likely described to them from the mangaka and his editor themselves, and clearly had supernatural and action elements in chapter 1. And what do you know? it went full on supernatural action
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why would they have an issue promoting a Romance series? They’ve promoted Romance series previously, continue to promote romance series, and have plenty of action series to promote if they want to promote an action series.

If they knew that the series wasn’t an action series and was purely a romance, or more romance than action, than promoting it as anything else is a horrible business tactic that do more harm than good in the long run.

False advertising and promoting a romance manga as an action manga is more likely to alienate their audiences than simply just promoting towards the many reader who actually enjoy and buy their romance licenses.

It’s a much more likely and reasonable scenario to assume that maybe the mangaka simply just intended it to be a supernatural action series from day one, and there is no major shift because of negative reception. It was described as a Supernatural Action from the magazine, likely described to them from the mangaka and his editor themselves, and clearly had supernatural and action elements in chapter 1. And what do you know? it went full on supernatural action
Case in point, We Never Learn has 9 color page this year so WSJ has no problem to do that. And they did it many times with past romcom as well.
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Apparently TSS is getting a recommendation by Yasuhiro Nightow. Can't say that's entirely inappropriate, but I honestly feel like it's still a shilling for the wrong series >>
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top