Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Kimetsu
One Piece
Haikyuu
MHA
Jujutsu
Act-Age
Dr. Stone
Neverland
Black Clover
Samurai 8
I'd highly recommend that you read Chainsawman, SPY x FAMILY and Mission: Yozakura Family, if you haven't already.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Isn't that a bad thing? They should wait for its official release to talk about it. I know the hype and all that, but they are literally talking about a chapter that is not even out in Japan until tomorrow.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Isn't that a bad thing? They should wait for its official release to talk about it. I know the hype and all that, but they are literally talking about a chapter that is not even out in Japan until tomorrow.
This isn't new. I remember people tweeting Kubo about chapter details before the Bleach chapter was officially out in Japan.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'd highly recommend that you read Chainsawman, SPY x FAMILY and Mission: Yozakura Family, if you haven't already.
Shit I forgot Chainsawman! That would have been fifth after MHA. Didnt include SPYXFAMILY since its a Jump+ title but from what I read of it its honestly pretty good. Yozakura I was pretty cold on but I'll give it another go.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Didnt include SPYXFAMILY since its a Jump+ title but from what I read of it its honestly pretty good.
No no, I understand. I just make it a policy to recommend SxF anyway out of habit.

That series is extremely good. Outside of KnY, it's pretty much been the biggest recent success story, with the most discussion.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
This isn't new. I remember people tweeting Kubo about chapter details before the Bleach chapter was officially out in Japan.
That sure was a wild thing to do :S. Now I remember that it happened the same with Ishida (Tokyo ghoul:re) and I think that was the reason why the scans and spoilers were delayed, they were talking about the chapter and tweeting Ishida. Also with the infamous chapter of Touka/Kaneki, insulting (most of them western fujos) Ishida before its official release. Twitter sure is quite something.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Seriously whats up with that? Its been trendin in the US every week since the end of Act 2.
O really? I must've not been paying attention then but apparently a lot goes down in this upcoming chapter. Tryna avoid the spoilers lol
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still remember the amount of stupid shit fans did back then at least nowadays mangaka at least have enough sense to know that oversea fans will do that shit and will block them to discourage such practices and Viz making an effort to combat piracy by getting releases on time with better quality and translations.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still remember the amount of stupid shit fans did back then at least nowadays mangaka at least have enough sense to know that oversea fans will do that shit and will block them to discourage such practices and Viz making an effort to combat piracy by getting releases on time with better quality and translations.
I feel like mangaplus did A LOT to combat this sort of thing, yeah. Not perfect, but a massive improvement from the old ways.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Isn't that a bad thing? They should wait for its official release to talk about it. I know the hype and all that, but they are literally talking about a chapter that is not even out in Japan until tomorrow.
Why? It's internet and twitter, you can't seriously expect thousands and thousands of people to just not say anything about manga in their personal accounts because it wasn't released in Japan yet, i remember how bizarre it was when i read 2 or 3 people on Spytrue's twitter asking him to delete a Haikyuu's color page and scans about the 4th season because "it wasn't officially announced yet", like come on, really? kkkkk

Of course going in a author's twitter to talk about a chapter that wasn't released yet it's really wrong and stupid kkkkk
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why? It's internet and twitter, you can't seriously expect thousands and thousands of people to just not say anything about manga in their personal accounts because it wasn't released in Japan yet, i remember how bizarre it was when i read 2 or 3 people on Spytrue's twitter asking him to delete a Haikyuu's color page and scans about the 4th season because "it wasn't officially announced yet", like come on, really? kkkkk

Of course going in a author's twitter to talk about a chapter that wasn't released yet it's really wrong and stupid kkkkk
It goes back to what came about with the MHA second movie announcement that got leaked early and caused a huge enough shitstorm that it made Shuiesha crack down harder on leakers, it was suppose to be a surprise at its AnimeJapan panel since not even the seiyuu knew about it. Obviously since Jump runs in tangent to the announcement it means it was going to be revealed on that Thursday but because of that incident they dropped the hammer on shops selling early copies.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
The only chapter I’ve fast read so far is Haikyuu since I couldn’t wait after last week’s chapter. Mostly looked at the art and read a few bubbles here and there but waiting for manga plus version for more details and to read the other series.
Gotta admit though that now I want to read OP since people are talking about the latest chapter
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It goes back to what came about with the MHA second movie announcement that got leaked early and caused a huge enough shitstorm that it made Shuiesha crack down harder on leakers, it was suppose to be a surprise at its AnimeJapan panel since not even the seiyuu knew about it. Obviously since Jump runs in tangent to the announcement it means it was going to be revealed on that Thursday but because of that incident they dropped the hammer on shops selling early copies.
Really? i didn't knew about this case, but ugh, Japan is so paranoic and obsessed with leaked stuff sometimes, "first world problems" i guess....
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Really? i didn't knew about this case, but ugh, Japan is so paranoic and obsessed with leaked stuff sometimes, "first world problems" i guess....
I think the Chief Animation Director for the series tweeted to not talk about the news until after it was officially announced.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The leaks made more sense to me when we all had to wait half a year to read the official version in English.

But now it's like... if you wait one (1) day, you'll get to read a better translation of the chapter with a higher image quality, for free. At the exact same time the chapter officially hits Japanese shelves, and in a way that reading it supports the mangaka and publisher.

That's too long a wait, I guess.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
legit if no one reports that it's trending i would have waited like always. :emocat Curiosity kills the cat.
but yeah it's MAD HYPE though.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,576
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I forgot to comment, but Dr. Stone still not able to reach 100k even after 3 months with the anime and all the hype and promotion? lol So much for the "new face of Shounen manga" right Editor-san? :P

The leaks made more sense to me when we all had to wait half a year to read the official version in English.

But now it's like... if you wait one (1) day, you'll get to read a better translation of the chapter with a higher image quality, for free. At the exact same time the chapter officially hits Japanese shelves, and in a way that reading it supports the mangaka and publisher.

That's too long a wait, I guess.
Actually is not one day, the big mangas get released very early during the night of Thursday to Friday and the official releases are on Sunday, so is basically 2 days and half. Today i read most of Jump mangas on the Manga Plus but One Piece, nah, it hurts my soul everytime i read "Zolo", i just can't...

And to point one thing, this "higher image quality" is really debatable, there's some chapters that i read on my phone in the app that you barely gives a extra zoom and the image and texts get blurry while if i do the same with the scan version, i can zoom the hell out of it and still good.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Actually is not one day, the big mangas get released very early during the night of Thursday to Friday and the official releases are on Sunday, so is basically 2 days and half. Today i read most of Jump mangas on the Manga Plus but One Piece, nah, it hurts my soul everytime i read "Zolo", i just can't...

And to point one thing, this "higher image quality" is really debatable, there's some chapters that i read on my phone in the app that you barely gives a extra zoom and the image and texts get blurry while if i do the same with the scan version, i can zoom the hell out of it and still good.
Simulpublish for Vol 43 happens tomorrow, so this week the wait would have actually been 1 day.

And I guess image quality on M+ and the Viz app can be hit or miss (I've largely had good experiences with it but I've occasionally heard otherwise so I'll take your word for it), but I specifically meant that the text overlay is better in the official translations, so you can literally see more of the art. Since scanslations don't have access to versions of the pages without lettering, sometimes you'll get scanslations where an entire scene looks like it's covered in white out because they had to translate a word or phrase that's part of the scene. And in better scanslations, you'll see a bunch of kanji there instead, along with an asterisk at the bottom of the page explaining that the kanji says "boom".

I guess your mileage may vary on whether or not that bothers you, but I appreciate the improved production value of improved translations. Even a three day wait (gasp!) is worth that for me.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
This isn't new. I remember people tweeting Kubo about chapter details before the Bleach chapter was officially out in Japan.
this isn't the wildest thing people tweeted at Kubo, not even top 5 :teehee

this is another senpai moment but remember this gentleman?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top