Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Spider-Man: Far From Home 8 / 10 :verily


Honestly felt like the this was made specifically to conclude the now known "Infinity Saga" more or less, which is all three MCU Phases. The best thing about the film here is the villain (Mysterio) and some surprises at the end. Overall, it's entertaining and at least, the writers are doing Spider-Man justice this time around versus previous films. There is much more to explore with not only Peter Parker but, his role as teenager, nephew and superhero mostly and how he'll learn to juggle those roles all at once to maintain a safe life for himself and the ones he loves. I am still hoping to see my favorite spidey villain, Kraven the Hunter, make his debut and I think, the villains are really making these films more exciting too.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Awe shit....really???
One of my favorite bad guys....:(
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Lion King 8 / 10 :hip

Overall, I was mostly amazed by the visual effects used in this reboot of the classic 1994 animated feature. The story is the same with minor changes and some new songs. Enjoyed the voice casting as much as the original too. If your really into the live action versions of Disney's animated features, you'll enjoy this one too. I will say this, I like this one more than "Dumbo", but not as much as "Aladdin".
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Got to go see Crawl a week or so ago.

Really solid monster thriller. It had the classic bits you have to ignore, like the main girl is impressively crocodile bite resistant. And the father seems pretty much immune to blood loss. That said it had a good sense of tension and the pacing was about perfect and it managed to keep the focus on the father daughter relationship in a way that kept me interested and engaged as they are running around trying not to become gator food; with what I would describe as moderate success.

So 8 /10 for me.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Been a while y'all.

Unfortunately I've only seen 3 movies since May, 1 per month (so far):

- Arctic back in June;
- Ran (in 4k, by Akira Kurosawa) in July;
- Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, which I saw yesterday after a friend scored a double invite for a pre-screening.

Saw all of these for free in theaters, which brings me to a total of 11 free screenings so far this year :cookiehand

- Arctic was ok... I was expecting something a little more intense as well as more polished story, but it was an alright, 1-time watch. It's always good seeing Mads Mikkelsen act so there's that as well;

- Ran was alright for a nearly 3-hours long epic. Previously, I had only seen Kagemusha by the same director, who's considered one of the all time greats, so yeah, I enjoyed having the opportunity to see this classic, and in 4k no less

- Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood was... ok. Can't really complain when I got to see it for free, but just so you know, I'm not a Tarantino fan by any means. I like Reservoir Dogs, appreciate Pulp Fiction, and I guess Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are good as well, but personally I don't think I would ever put any of these in a Top 100 or whatever.

I won't get into spoilers, but I'll just say that the film was kinda overall forgettable for me. At 2h41mins long, I feel like the runtime just doesn't serve the "story", which is what the film painfully lacked the most, in my opinion, and considering the "climax" of the film (which was awesome but extremely short) I feel like certain things just had no business being in there for so long.

If anyone has questions and/or has already seen the film, let me know.

If I hadn't gotten free tickets I wouldn't have paid to see it, at least not in theaters, because even though it's Tarantino, the setting of this film just isn't appealing to me.

I can't recall whether I saw the full trailers or not, but going into it I thought that the film was going to be about something like-

After Sharon Tate is murdered, Dicaprio/Pitt go hunt Charles Manson and his gang, making it a deviation from reality.

That's not what the film was about, at all... essentially, the film is Tarantino's love letter to Hollywood, I guess. I think my idea of what the film was supposed to be was more interesting, but it would've been a whole different film entirely.

Acting by the two main actors was good, but compared to the likes of Basterds and Django, I feel like this one has pretty much 0 rewatchability, but that's just me.

I kinda went in blind so I was never bored for the entire runtime, but that's pretty much it.

Enjoyed it for what it was, but it gets one big, fat forgettable meh from me.
:cookiestare

I'll be attending a horror film festival next month, so in a few weeks I should be able to let you know which films I'll be seeing. I'll be seeing (for sure) Midsommar (director will be present), The Lodge (by the same duo behind Goodnight Mommy) and Come to Daddy, which have already been announced.

I'm also trying to find some time to watch Light of my Life, with Casey Affleck. It's a "The Road" kind of movie, apocalyptic and such.

I'm only up to 40 (new) films seen this year so far, by this time last year I was up to 59.
Lagging behind :c
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Went to see Hide and Seek today and I loved it.

Just a fun dark comedy through and through.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood 8 / 10 :hi

I have to say this was particular very different from what Tarantino has done with his past films, however, QT did pay much respect and homage to a period of time in Hollywood with fictional characters during a non-fictional event following real people. Overall, the story was pretty decent and really involves the behind the scenes of actors and the pressures they face trying to maintain a career, even past their prime. DiCaprio and Pitt were golden together in their scenes and the famous cameos were hilarious.


12 Suicidal Teens 9 / 10 :verily

Really got engaged into this film from beginning to end. At no point was bored nor could I predict what was coming next as the film progresses. The characters were intriguing as well the scenario behind what teens deal with in today's world. Almost reminds me of the classic film "12 Angry Men", only this is dealing with teens and their pressuring issues in life. Recommend highly.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, saw Once Upon a Time in hollywood.... Twice. first time I had no idea of what I was getting into, for the second I read a bit on the careers of the people featured there.

What really stood out for me in the movie was the acting, specially dicaprio's (though that's not a surprise for anyone). It's just amazing that in one moment you are basically on the set of a show, then you are watching an old timey western and then you get back to the set. In the movie you see the character rick dalton doing ok performances, bad performances, astonishing performances... But dicaprio pretty much had to act one... And it's great.

The ending was obviously the most tarantino part of the movie though I think of it more on an easter egg than anything. Kinda like a reminder of who made the movie. And its just good old bloody fun...
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Yoo, I can't believe my luck; I managed to score some tickets for a screening of It Chapter 2 this Wednesday (4th), and it's on Imax, which I've never been to before!

Really can't wait, didn't watch any trailers whatsoever. I'm kinda terrified of what being nearly 3hours in an Imax room will do to my senses.

I would like to say that my body is ready, but I honestly do not know what to expect.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,243
Reaction score
33,629
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I went to the movies yesterday for the first time in ages (Angel Has Fallen, thoroughly enjoyed) and saw a trailer for Good Boys. I've never wanted a movie to fail more in my life.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
It Chapter Two


I found the film to be quite enjoyable, and to me at least it didn't really feel like it was nearly 3h long.
However, it does suffer in the editing/pacing department, it's far too rushed for its own good even though there's almost 3 hours of film...

There are far too many instances where "convenient" things happen all the time, and it kinda broke the immersion for me a little.
I didn't mind the comedy, or rather, the humor, but when you have that and then 9 out of 10 scares are always extremely predictable, it's a little bit disappointing.

There were some very cool visuals/sequences for sure, and the casting was also great, but McAvoy could've been played by any other actor I feel. He seemed very minor to me, in terms of accomplishments throughout the film. Everyone else's felt somehow more genuine.

I still had a hella good time.
I now understand some of the criticism that I had previously read, but honestly, as it stands it's a perfectly fine sequel/second half.

It's a real shame about the pacing/editing, but you can tell that the heart is in the right place.

Speaking of which, I don't know if you've read about this, but the director mentioned a possible 390mins cut of the 2 movies put together.

That's 6h30mins in total, which means that it would have another 90 full minutes of new material, not found on any of the films.

If this ever happens for real, I am willing to bet that we will witness the director's real and complete vision, and all of these "flaws" that I mention will surely go away and/or make more sense.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'm honestly not sure how a movie like Good Boys got made in this day and age... :grumble At least it being a "mainstream" film distributed by Universal. Maybe the trailers make it seem worse in content than it is, but idk.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, saw IT... It's enjoyable enough but a far cry from the first part. It failed to be as creepy or scary as the first part in general and quite a few of the scary scenes were largely telegraphed. I kinda forgive them on this since it makes sense the scenes are more predictable when its the second part against a villain that was previously defeated by kids.

But.... what really took me out of it sometimes is the CGI. At some points it just got cartoonishly bad. You'd think a high budget blockbuster like this would be past such mistakes.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
- The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil

Overall it was just "fine". After seeing the trailer I was expecting more of a high-octane, non-stop, "race against the clock" kind of film, and that wasn't really the case.

There were some action sequences, but not as many as I'd hoped for. Also, the film slows down at times to give us the "procedures" on how they reach certain conclusions/acquire certain pieces of evidence, and it's kinda heavy-handed/half-assed at time, I feel.

Some aspects of the story were a bit confusing, and unfortunately the "Devil" doesn't get to shine a lot (was hoping for the screentime to be equally split among the 3, but it didn't really feel like it).

Caught this at a midnight screening. The audience enjoyed it as well, there were some funny moments as well. A cool, good enough movie to pass the time, but not exactly memorable/spectacular in any way.

:cookiehand

- All the Gods in the Sky

French film. It had some good moments, but this is one of those films that could've benefited A LOT by adding some ambiguity.

Throughout the film, you're shown/told things from different perspectives, and while technically this is meant to leave you wondering "is that character actually right or not?" the truth is that it's painfully apparent what it is that's actually going on, so by the time the movie ends, there just wasn't anything surprising about the plot at all, which is very unfortunate.

I didn't mind seeing it, it was on my Watchlist (decided not to see the trailer) after all, but it was a bit of a waste. Was expecting a lot more from it.

:cookiehand

- Swallow

Another one that I really wanted to see, which has been making the rounds in film festivals.

Basically, it's about a woman who has just become pregnant, and for some reason develops "pica": she becomes obsessed with swallowing small and dangerous objects.

I was expecting something a lot more graphic/horrifying, but then again it's listed as just a "Drama" on IMDb, so I can see why it never went "too far".

The 3rd act was kinda strange, but honestly, I kinda admire the story that the dirctor chose to tell, and how to tell it. This isn't a film that I would necessarily recommend, but it was surprising enough to leave me thinking about it.

Main actress was pretty great in the role, too, she pretty much makes the film.

:cookiehand

- Koko-di, Koko-da

Another one on my list which I was very excited to see.

But because the screening was on Friday the 13th, unfortunately I was late to the screening and missed like the first 5 minutes of the film.

Which wouldn't be a big deal to most, and to be fair I don't think I missed anything substantial, but I was pissed. I honestly can't remember the last time I ever arrived late to the movies, IF that ever happened to me at some point.

I always make sure that I leave home with plenty of time, and this time was no different. The train stopped for like 40mins because a woman jumped (or was pushed) onto the tracks, and was sliced in half... It was Friday the 13th alright :|...

But I digress, about the film:

It was very strange, and the director appears to be quite the crazy person IRL as well.

But I enjoyed the film for what it was, I think many people would find it boring or "unfulfilling", but to me, I couldn't help but think "this is a director that made the film that he wanted to make, and stuck to his vision", which was really admirable considering the kind of film that this is.

Upon watching the film, you might think (as I did) "ok, I've seen this type of thing before, I think I know where this is going", but they added what I thought were a couple of unexpected twists.

I'll have to watch the beginning which I missed just so I can get the full thing, but yeah, I wouldn't say this was a "great" movie by any means, but I'm happy I watched it, because I could tell that the director stuck to his guns, so to speak.

:cookiehand

- Midsommar

I liked it a lot, perhaps a bit more than Hereditary, and I can't wait to see the director's cut.

There's really not much for me to say: top-notch filmmaking in every aspect, as well as a haunting soundtrack by the great The Haxan Cloak. It was a good, trippy experience, and I think it paid off not seeing any trailers and such.

:cookiehand

- The Lodge

By the duo that made "Goodnight Mommy", which was one of my favorite films I saw in 2015.

I really liked it. I don't want to say too much about it, but I'll say this:

When the movie cut to black/ended, I exhaled and it felt like I'd been holding my breath for 15-20mins. That, and it was also one of those "total punch in the gut" kind of moment.

This isn't "mainstream horror", FYI. Yes, there are some jumpscares here and there, but just like their previous film, this is all heavily psychological and fucked up, in a vein similar to Hereditary in that it deals with relationships and whatnot.

The ending was brutal and fucking haunting to say the least.

The screening was sold out, and the directors were in attendance; they talked afterwards for a bit + small Q&A, and it made the whole thing even better for me.

I don't think it topped "Goodnight Mommy" for me, but I'd been looking forward for their next film for so long, so much so that I also avoided seeing any trailers for this film, and I had one hell of a time. Amazing screening.

:cookiehand

- Come to Daddy

I knew this was going to be somewhat of a comedy going into it (starring Elijah Wood), and sure, it had its really good, laugh-out-loud moments, but it's 100% not what I was expecting from a film tagged as "horror" as well.

I was really, really disappointed by what the plot turned out to be. It was an alright watch, but when it comes to the story, I was expecting something else entirely, but it's really not worth talking about.

Bottom line is, I wouldn't have missed a thing by not watching it.

:cookiehand

- Bliss

Oh man, this one was a trip.

I was worried at first because they put up a sign saying that photossentive people and/or those with epilepsy should be careful with the film.

It's not something that I have to worry about, personally, but it says a lot about the film. The director said that he's heavily influenced by Gaspar Noé, and you can tell, this is pretty much a tribute to Noé's work.

I wasn't much of a fan of "Climax", but this film blew it out of the water for me. Not the same plot or anything like that, but the visuals and sounds, man, it as an 80min trip from beginning to end.

Seeing this in a large theater at midnight with an incredible sound system was totally worth it.

It's more of an experience above anything else, although there is a story in there for sure, but if you have the chance to see it, I think you should.

A real assault on the senses. Here's a trailer:


:cookiearf

As for what's next for me:

- Ad Astra, possibly (only if I score some tickets though, maybe);
- Parasite this coming Saturday (already have my ticket, can't wait to see what all the buzz is about);
- Joker, not too long now;
- Doctor Sleep, maybe?
- The Golden Glove, maybe
- Monos, one of my most anticipated of the year. Really curious to see it.

But right now I'm just really looking forward for the next film festival that'll take place around here in a couple of months, it's the same one where I saw Suspiria, High Life, Long Day's Journey Into Night and a bunch of others last year.

I am for sure, 100% expecting The Lighthouse to be part of the programming, and I will be extremely disappointed if that doesn't happen :|
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
IT - Chapter Two 8 / 10 :hmph


Much like the original mini-series from 1990 or the book itself, the second chapter serves as story that continues the Loser's Club devotion to a childhood promise bounded by a deep and profound friendship. This is pretty much the main concept of the film and I'd say, this was pushed more than the horror aspect that was heavily promoted for this film. However, there are moments in the film that scare, but the impact isn't as strong which to me felt like a let down. Also, the adult versions were not as interesting as their childhood counterparts to the point that flashbacks become unexpected more and more often throughout the near 3-hour plus film.

Speaking on that, the film being this long and dragged out ending really makes it hard to want to see it again, but I personally will eventually. Overall, Chapter 1 succeeds a bit more because it was it's own story, where as Chapter 2 piggybacked off it's predecessor to the point it was unable to be it's own film without doing so.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Speaking on that, the film being this long and dragged out ending really makes it hard to want to see it again, but I personally will eventually.
Wait for the - allegedly - 6h30mins long supercut bruh.

~

Well, I did in fact end up scoring tickets for Ad Astra. Well, my friend did, but yeah, just came back from the screening.

It's pretty much in line what I expected it to be.

I thought there would be more to the story, in terms of development or "surprises", but I quite enjoyed it, it was good, but it's a very "personal" and intimate movie.

The visuals are amazing, as is the soundtrack, but I wouldn't say it's an Interstellar level of epic, if you get what I mean.

The film still has a big budget, and of course it features the likes of Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Liv Tyler, but there's something very "author"-like about it in many ways, which I appreciated.

It's not a popcorn, "feel good" flick, and in fact, a guy sitting next to me complained to his wife as soon as the movie ended that he didn't like it.

I honestly don't know whether I would've paid to go see it in theaters, but I'm glad I saw it.

Have you guys seen the trailer for Lucy in the Sky?

All I kept thinking was that these two movies would probably play well in a double bill session or something. Really interested in checking that one out as well.

Now, if I could just score some tickets for Joker and Doctor Sleep, now that would be a tremendous way to close out the year, but I'm not holding my breath.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Promare 9 / 10 :super

The newest studio film from "Studio Trigger" (Kill La Kill) was simply amazing and beautifully animated from beginning to end. The story was your basic, typical anime plot, however, it's entertaining as hell and I was fortunate enough to get a chance to see this in theaters in my area. I rarely get to see some anime projects in theaters and was glad to see this one. Only wish there could be a film picture made for "Kill La Kill". Highly recommend this, if it's in your area and you have time to see. I got to see "Promare" in Japanese with english subtitles and I usually prefer it that way, since I'm not a huge fan of english adaptations (Dragon Ball, especially).


p.s., Here's hoping for "One PIece - Stampede" to be released next month where I live as well, unlike the previous films, this actually looks to be an amazing epic on the big screen.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
p.s., Here's hoping for "One PIece - Stampede" to be released next month where I live as well, unlike the previous films, this actually looks to be an amazing epic on the big screen.

It's actually premiering in my country as well, supposedly, later this month, but I don't know if I'll go and see it.

It's a privilege for sure, one that many countries around the world won't have, and it's true that otherwise I'd probably have to wait until next year before seeing a worthwhile copy online, but I dunno.

I might go with a friend, who has a discount so we end up paying like half a ticket or something, but if not I'm not sure I'll bother..

I know it's One Piece but at the end of the day it's just a non-canon film that won't really do much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm a bit picky when it comes to films, and I tend to pass on those that are generally the kind where you "switch your brain off" for the sake of having fun... I tend to like a little more meat, so to speak, on the stuff I watch.

But seeing OP on the big screen would more than likely be an experience of a lifetime... who knows when that might happen again, if ever.

:cookiestare
 
Top