Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think Kimetsu is around 5 million right now not 7 million, so it would need to sell 4 million more to beat OP
KNY was at 5 million at the beginning of September. For the past five weeks alone the series has sold around 2.3 million copies.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Demon Slayer needs the power of god and anime on its side to topple the king.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Seeing Act-Age first 3 volume sales, what do you think made jump from axing it? (im glad they didn't). Same with Kimetsu when its first volume didn't even rank in oricon top 50. Could reader surveys have been positive and still those people didn't buy the tankonbons cause seeing the early success of MHA, TPN and SxF makes it seem unlikely to me that readers would rate them real well but not support it
Nakano explained as much in the Takekawa talk:

All of these changes are being made to address the changing landscape of manga, namely the fact that paper magazine circulation is falling while digital consumption is on the rise.

During the interview, Nakano explained how this change has caused a pretty significant shift in how manga get popular. In general, manga take much longer to catch on nowadays than before, as fewer people are reading the magazines and are only picking up the collected volumes as they release a couple of months after the initial magazine printing.

Yet, these changes also bring with them new audiences. Hiroyuki Nakano brought up Kimetsu no Yaiba during the interview as an example of a series that took a while to catch on, but when it did, brought in a whole new audience of people who don’t usually read Jump.
TLDR; Kimetsu and AA had a strong enough early following where it was perceived it was worth giving them support, to which ultimately paid off.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I thought the maintenance would never end, I hope we can talk about Jump in peace now for the foreseeable future. XP

As for the readings, I read three today, but only TPN matters, it was great.
When Norman started to see Emma and him like children clinging to him I thought "here we go again...", but he slaughtered them all without mercy breaking my negative expectation, breaking the established way shounen series operate and this is great, I love it.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
4chan just posted a toc. It's a fake one right?
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Problem is, while i expect people here to be rational about it, you will have some pretty delusional expectations or some people even taking advantage of it to claim the manga is a failure even if sell over 100k in the top 50, i just answered one follower right now on my Twitter asking about Samurai 8 print numbers and saying he read somewhere about 1 million copies lol
Well, Yui Kamio Volume 2 was in the top 50 in the first day (it fell after that), but it was not close to 100k at the end.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
4chan just posted a toc. It's a fake one right?
Well, the one that was posted on 4ch last week was fake, we can't be sure unless they post the source. Also there's nothing on Tieba.
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,490
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, Yui Kamio Volume 2 was in the top 50 in the first day (it fell after that), but it was not close to 100k at the end.
I'm talking about weekly Oricon, not daily Shoseki.
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
As I said it before, I thought this chapter of Neverland was amazing. One of the best in the series alongside Krone's Death. I am really curious to see what will happen now specially when you remember there is Emma's new promise
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As I said it before, I thought this chapter of Neverland was amazing. One of the best in the series alongside Krone's Death. I am really curious to see what will happen now specially when you remember there is Emma's new promise
I liked this week's TPN chapter a lot too. Norman is such an excellent character, and singlehandedly brings a lot of depth and complexity to the story. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything falls apart from here.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
TPN loses its initial HYPE now it's just a good Jump series for me.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Also, question for everyone. Do you guys want this poll kept up the entire time? By that I mean, until the series falls off Oricon?
I think you should close it on release day, but take a screencap of the votes up to that point and post it in the thread.

That way people can't cheese the poll when we start getting info about how its doing, and we'll also be able to use the poll's results as an in-thread reference point by quoting it.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Also, question for everyone. Do you guys want this poll kept up the entire time? By that I mean, until the series falls off Oricon?
I think it's ok to close it the day after tomorrow since it's the release day and Shoseki's rankings are out the next day. It's a prediction after all. If it's kept open, people might change their votes while tracking sales, making the poll kind of pointless.


TPN loses its initial HYPE now it's just a good Jump series for me.
I only picked the series up a few days before the anime started airing this year and I was completely in love with it but it has barely kept my interest for a while now and for the past few chapters things are going way too fast. I hope the ending isn't a trainwreck.

Also, there are a few people on 4ch named Yonkou posting about the TOC being real or not lol. Can someone check his discord?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That way people can't cheese the poll when we start getting info about how its doing
If it's kept open, people might change their votes while tracking sales, making the poll kind of pointless.
Just now, I made it so people can't change their votes, so this concern is no longer an issue.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just now, I made it so people can't change their votes, so this concern is no longer an issue.
There's still the possibility some stragglers might wait to make their first vote until sales reports start coming in, though that would likely be a much rarer occurrence.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
There was a TOC posted just now on tieba and it fits with the one posted in 4ch.

Edit: Never mind, it got deleted lol.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,490
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ehh unless that is some consequence or some kind of agreement about the results and what option you voted, it just doesn't make sense to worry about it, like, what matters if someone change the vote or wait for X day to vote? is just a poll with no impact or relevance in the thread, unless Buranchi do something about it like i said to Rain pages ago if the manga sells more than what he predicted in the poll he would stop talking about Samurai 8 being a failure or hated by jp readers.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I say keep the poll up until we see the Day 1 Shoseki results. That'll give a pretty decent idea I think of how it's gonna go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top