Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL2.0

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 6, 2019
Messages
37
Reaction score
35
Age
29
Country
United States
I think Kishimoto does his best writing when he's not writing for Children. Mario is a testament to that. I think S8 is ok for now sales wise. I hope it can at least hold out until western audiences can buy the manga as the themes resonate more with our interests.

Personally, I think the Info dump in the first couple of chapters hurt it, but what can you do? S8 definitely stumbled out of the gate. I think Kishi really needs to introduce the rival character that pushes Hachimaru (Ala, Sasuke and Naruto). That might "spark an explosion", lol.

How is S8 first day doing compared to Edens Zero's first day sales if i may ask? It's the only other Sci-Fi manga from a big author I know of.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
After being offline for almost a week, I finally finished reading through the 60-ish new pages worth of posts, at least 75% being about Samurai 8 predictions pre- and post-first day sales release. That was quite insane lol. All I'm going to say on the matter is that Samurai 8 is going to be around for a while unless one of the following scenarios happens:

1. The author chooses to end it for any reason (wanted it to be a shorter serialization, had higher expectations for himself, got bored/ran out of ideas, etc)
2. It somehow doesn't even show up on day 2 Shoseki
3. The next 3-6 series that are released are all massive hits right from the start.

Other than that, WSJ doesn't really have a reason to be in a rush to ax it. It wasn't a phenomenal hit, but it wasn't instantly bombing like the majority of their other new series that premiered this year did/are doing.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I know this Twitter poll itself is not really an indicator of reception/popularity, but it is interesting to see Mitama so high.

TL goes as
1. Jujutsu Kaisen
2. Act-Age
3. Haikyu
4. One Piece
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. Mitama Security
7. Chainsaw Man
8. Dr. Stone
9. My Hero Academia
10. Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
11. Yozakura-san chi no Daisakusen
12. Yakusoku no Neverland
13. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
14. Samurai 8
15. Beast Children
16. We Never Learn
17. Double Taisei
18. Black Clover
19. Tokyo Shinobi Squad.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
I think Kishimoto does his best writing when he's not writing for Children. Mario is a testament to that. I think S8 is ok for now sales wise. I hope it can at least hold out until western audiences can buy the manga as the themes resonate more with our interests.

Personally, I think the Info dump in the first couple of chapters hurt it, but what can you do? S8 definitely stumbled out of the gate. I think Kishi really needs to introduce the rival character that pushes Hachimaru (Ala, Sasuke and Naruto). That might "spark an explosion", lol.

How is S8 first day doing compared to Edens Zero's first day sales if i may ask? It's the only other Sci-Fi manga from a big author I know of.
I think Edens Zero sold more


---

Good to see 1 Million views of Spy x Family,really happy with it.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
How is S8 first day doing compared to Edens Zero's first day sales if i may ask? It's the only other Sci-Fi manga from a big author I know of.
EDENS ZERO Vol 1 started at #6. Special edition at #20. It kept being #6 for Day 2 as well. Even jumped at #5 on Day 3!
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
While I was seeing the next issue preview to see when we will have another subject to talk about and saw that it will be on sale on Saturday (earlier than usual, thanks God), I thought to myself if there hasn't been a lot of issues on Saturday nowadays? I think it has had more Saturday issues than ever since I started following this. All Japan holidays are falling into Mondays suddenly or they are planning something?
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I'll give you a reason why its the worst handling you've ever seen:
Wait, how bad was Bakuman with its handling of female characters? I’ve seen the anime and liked it, but I honestly don’t remember.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Speaking of Mitama Secureity (and for a change of pace from Endless 8)

how many chapters does everyone think it'll last for?

<20? (quick flop cancellation)
20-50? (not a hit but fails less than other stuff for a while, or is kept around for a bit despite bad performance because it's the only gag manga)
50-100? (almost successful but never captures that staying power, or does well enough to not get canned until they have some newer proper hits)
100+ (proper hit for a gag manga and sticks around long term)

considering there's 4-5 series and an empty space ahead of it in the cancellation priority, other series due to end fairly soon, and due to it being the only gag manga currently), I think it'll be 40 chapters minimum unless it's a legendary failure. I can see it going past a year without much effort unless a new gag manga comes in that's a big hit or there's a big batch of 5-6 new series at once.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Speaking of Mitama secureity (and for a change of pace from Endless 8)

how many chapters does everyone think it'll last for?

<20? (quick flop cancellation)
20-50? (not a hit but fails less than other stuff for a while, or is kept around for a bit because it's the only gag manga)
50-100 (almost successful but never captures that staying power, or does well enough to not get canned until they have some newer proper hits)
100+ (sticking around long term)
I am gonna be very honest here despite the fact I am not a huge fan of the manga so far. Mitama has the potential to stay longer in the magazine than Yozakura, it fills a niche in the magazine, in a more approachable way than David did (references to paintings and designs more suited for the western markets) or Jimoto (too childish and suited for Saikyo).

Gonna go bold and say 50-100 at minimum.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Speaking of Mitama Secureity (and for a change of pace from Endless 8)

how many chapters does everyone think it'll last for?

<20? (quick flop cancellation)
20-50? (not a hit but fails less than other stuff for a while, or is kept around for a bit despite bad performance because it's the only gag manga)
50-100? (almost successful but never captures that staying power, or does well enough to not get canned until they have some newer proper hits)
100+ (proper hit for a gag manga and sticks around long term)

considering there's 4-5 series and an empty space ahead of it in the cancellation priority, other series due to end fairly soon, and due to it being the only gag manga currently), I think it'll be 40 chapters minimum unless it's a legendary failure. I can see it going past a year without much effort unless a new gag manga comes in that's a big hit or there's a big batch of 5-6 new series at once.
It is a nonsensical gag manga, the only one in the magazine right now, so it can probably last long, at least until something better appears.
Jump lacks a comedy right now, something that Yozakura is showing potential there, I laugh more reading it than Mitama by far.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'm glad Manga+ is still translating Japan despite the magazine change and low views. It's not... good, but I've gotten attached to it. The series has heart if nothing else.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Speaking of Mitama Secureity (and for a change of pace from Endless 8)

how many chapters does everyone think it'll last for?

<20? (quick flop cancellation)
20-50? (not a hit but fails less than other stuff for a while, or is kept around for a bit despite bad performance because it's the only gag manga)
50-100? (almost successful but never captures that staying power, or does well enough to not get canned until they have some newer proper hits)
100+ (proper hit for a gag manga and sticks around long term)

considering there's 4-5 series and an empty space ahead of it in the cancellation priority, other series due to end fairly soon, and due to it being the only gag manga currently), I think it'll be 40 chapters minimum unless it's a legendary failure. I can see it going past a year without much effort unless a new gag manga comes in that's a big hit or there's a big batch of 5-6 new series at once.
I'd say 20-50, probably skewing closer to the 20-35 half of that segment. With 3 older newbies most likely leaving soon, another older newbie entering its final boss storyline, and 3-4 veterans having a decent chance of concluding within the next 3-month to 1-year period, there's a lot more open slots in the TOC than there have been over the last few years. Maybe it'll end around issue 20 like most other bombing newbies have this past year, or maybe it'll last about as long as David-kun did. Heck, maybe it'll even find decent success and live on, but personally, I don't see it becoming a big hit.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
Since tokyo shinobi squad is constantly being in the bottom when do you guys expect it to get axed.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Since tokyo shinobi squad is constantly being in the bottom when do you guys expect it to get axed.
Depending on how big the next serialization round is, possibly as soon as that. It's probably going to be a battle between whether it, Double Taisei or Beast Children get axed if it's only a 2-series serialization round again. Of those 3, I'd say this one probably has the best chance of being given the benefit of the doubt and living until the next serialization round, but I'd personally rather see Double Taisei live if that was the case.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
So what about authors like kubo tite will he be bringing any new manga or has he retired from his professional life.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,215
Country
United Nations
I haven't read Bakuman, but Death Note has to be the worst handling of female characters I've seen in any manga (I haven't read that many, though). Like, even by the already not-good standards of shonen it's a whole other level of bad.
I'm assuming you haven't read too many older series. Death Note was fairly normal for its time (which is almost 20 years ago).


I wonder if Bort hurt Samurai 8 too. This is supposed to be Kishi's big return but it doesn't really feel that way, since we've had a not very good sequel manga running the whole time after Naruto. Bort already got all the 'next big project' hype and gradually lost more and more of the fanbase.

Just speaking personally it feels more like 'hey here's another companion series to Naruto that you don't really need to read' than 'here's my big entirely new story for the next generation'.
That might have something to do with it, too.


Also it's lacking a twist to the MC kind of? Comparing to other modern wsj stuff

- in MHA Deku was gifted his power and also had to hurt himself badly to use it at the start
- in Black Clover Asta has anti magic that counters everyone else's powers
- in Kimetsu Tanjirou's always carrying his mute demon sister around with him (and has the weird smell thing)
- in Jujutsu Kaisen Itadori has the usual super evil mode thing (although it kind of feels like everyone's the main character here, rather than one getting the main focus)
- in Chainsawman Denji is just a complete and utter weirdo
- Samurai 8 though feels like it's lacking a core hook to the main character, the MC's backstory was unique but that was wrapped up right away, so now he's just the same as all the other samurai in the series and even though he's the main central focus of the series he doesn't really stand out among the cast
To me, it feels like Kishimoto always uses the same type of MC: immature little boys who act out to get attention.

I suppose it's because they're easy to develop, but it still gets somewhat repetitive.


On a sidenote, apparently M+ will be publishing SxF and Summer Time Rendering at a later timeslot next time. I wonder why.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Wait, how bad was Bakuman with its handling of female characters? I’ve seen the anime and liked it, but I honestly don’t remember.
Azuki: Pure heroine. Don't kiss. Almost don't feel anything, and if feel something don't speak out. Lives for love
Kaya: Annoying and sometimes abusive wife, support all absence and every mistake his husband makes if its for the sake of his dreams. Never ever feels tired of it. Lives for Takagi's love.
Iwase: Annoying passionate woman. Started working as mangaka and stayed there to catch attention of men (Takagi -> Hattori -> Niizuma). Lives for love.

Maybe the problem with Bakuman has to do with it having more females in the main cast, so it makes easier spot its flaws, but I still think Death Note's Misa is the worst female character they wrote.

PS: As you may see, I'm not a woman, so maybe I'm not the best person to explain this. It's just the way I feel abt these characters.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The next round of cancellation is going to be an interesting one because Beast Children would be considered the first one to get axed, but with Japan going so well at the Rugby World Cup (3 straight wins, Sunday they takes on Scotland for the 4th straight win and undefeated through the first round), I'm not so sure. Tokyo Shinobi Squad would be next one, but it seems it needs some chapters to complete this current arc, I will see later today with the new chapter if the landscape changes. Futari no Taisei can end anytime, it seems the author already gave up with some of the latest chapters. :P
It seems Yui Kamio is safe for now, I'm grateful for that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top