Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
So what about authors like kubo tite will he be bringing any new manga or has he retired from his professional life.
He hasn't announced anything. He did the one shot a year ago and he still gives interviews every now and then.
But it's also well established that his health was poor which became the primary reason to end Bleach. He probably won't serialize in WSJ again unless its a few one-shots or a monthly series at most.
But he is still active and doing drawings and all that for games and whatnot which is good to see. His art not being put to use would be a waste of talent.

I think Kishimoto does his best writing when he's not writing for Children. Mario is a testament to that.
Did people like Mario?
Personally, I found it super cringy and it gave off such a "wannabe cool/edgy" vibe especially with that one panel where the dude is flipping the other character.
But to each their own.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
On a sidenote, apparently M+ will be publishing SxF and Summer Time Rendering at a later timeslot next time. I wonder why.
Summer Time Rendering lists today at 1 PM (for me) which is when Jump goes out so I'm guessing they're posting the bonus chapter. Maybe Spy x Family is getting a bonus chapter in Jump again? Although Oct 20 is when Chapter 16 should release which would be before Jump.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Azuki: Pure heroine. Don't kiss. Almost don't feel anything, and if feel something don't speak out. Lives for love
Kaya: Annoying and sometimes abusive wife, support all absence and every mistake his husband makes if its for the sake of his dreams. Never ever feels tired of it. Lives for Takagi's love.
Iwase: Annoying passionate woman. Started working as mangaka and stayed there to catch attention of men (Takagi -> Hattori -> Niizuma). Lives for love.

Maybe the problem with Bakuman has to do with it having more females in the main cast, so it makes easier spot its flaws, but I still think Death Note's Misa is the worst female character they wrote.

PS: As you may see, I'm not a woman, so maybe I'm not the best person to explain this. It's just the way I feel abt these characters.
Curious thing, Azuki was 4th place in the character poll for Bakuman (Takagi was 5th).
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I don't think Kubo will come back with a full new series at this point. I expect he'll do more oneshots or mini-series on a special occasions but after his health troubles in later Bleach, I don't think he'll returned to a stressful schedule again. I feel like even a monthly schedule might be a bit tight (unless it's on Jump+ with a smaller page number).

Heck, if he does a Bleach sequel or spin-off honestly I could see Kubo going for Jump SQ Rise (is that the current name?) with its quarterly schedule. Something light where he only needs to put as much pages as he feels he can do.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
I'm assuming you haven't read too many older series. Death Note was fairly normal for its time (which is almost 20 years ago).
Do Naruto, Bleach or One Piece count as older series? Because I've read all three and I still think Death Note is far worse in that department. In those at least the women get to do 'some' stuff 'sometimes', even if it's fairly rare and not nearly as much as the guys.

Heck, even Dragon Ball had Bulma, who is a super-genius with plenty of agency.

I can't really say anything like that about any female character from Death Note. Basically every woman there exists to get played by Light.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Azuki: Pure heroine. Don't kiss. Almost don't feel anything, and if feel something don't speak out. Lives for love
Thing about Azuki is I know someone JUST like her but unlike the person I know, Azuki actually did focus on her career and worked hard to be the best at it.
I don't see whats wrong about the not kissing bit, tbh. If anything, it promoted the idea of consent.
Can't argue about the remaining ones tho.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How Light treats women aggregates to the narrative about whether what he is doing is good or not regarding killing criminals with the Death Note. Death Note is a moral battle in its entirety. You clearly didn't understand the series and is complaining now, more than a decade after the series.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
I know this Twitter poll itself is not really an indicator of reception/popularity, but it is interesting to see Mitama so high.

TL goes as
1. Jujutsu Kaisen
2. Act-Age
3. Haikyu
4. One Piece
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. Mitama Security
7. Chainsaw Man
8. Dr. Stone
9. My Hero Academia
10. Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
11. Yozakura-san chi no Daisakusen
12. Yakusoku no Neverland
13. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
14. Samurai 8
15. Beast Children
16. We Never Learn
17. Double Taisei
18. Black Clover
19. Tokyo Shinobi Squad.
Lol bc is that low:xp
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Heck, if he does a Bleach sequel or spin-off honestly I could see Kubo going for Jump SQ Rise (is that the current name?) with its quarterly schedule. Something light where he only needs to put as much pages as he feels he can do.
I'd be so down with this, tbh
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Summer Time Rendering lists today at 1 PM (for me) which is when Jump goes out so I'm guessing they're posting the bonus chapter. Maybe Spy x Family is getting a bonus chapter in Jump again? Although Oct 20 is when Chapter 16 should release which would be before Jump.
STR is indeed the bonus chapter, it was listed in this week's ToC in M+. Regarding SPY x FAMILY, next chapter will be an extra chapter/side story, not chapter 16 itself, and will be published at the same time as WSJ chapters. Will probably be listed as 'extra' on M+ and Chapter 15.1 by Viz.


Next Extra Chapter on October 21st (Monday)! - Shonen Jump+


Sunday, October 20 22:00 (CEST) - MANGA Plus


SPY x FAMILY Chapter 15.1 on Sunday, October 20 - Viz
 
Last edited:

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,216
Country
United Nations
Do Naruto, Bleach or One Piece count as older series? Because I've read all three and I still think Death Note is far worse in that department. In those at least the women get to do 'some' stuff 'sometimes', even if it's fairly rare and not nearly as much as the guys.

Heck, even Dragon Ball had Bulma, who is a super-genius with plenty of agency.

I can't really say anything like that about any female character from Death Note. Basically every woman there exists to get played by Light.
I'd say basically every character there exists to get played by Light, male or female. There's only like three characters in the series whose motivations matter.

But you are right that those other famous series did it better. Maybe that's part of the reason why they stayed around for so long.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Thing about Azuki is I know someone JUST like her but unlike the person I know, Azuki actually did focus on her career and worked hard to be the best at it.
I don't see whats wrong about the not kissing bit, tbh. If anything, it promoted the idea of consent.
Can't argue about the remaining ones tho.
The not kissing thing is more for the "pure" concept of the character. Not about the consent.

It isn't so good to mix "purity" and "consent".


How Light treats women aggregates to the narrative about whether what he is doing is good or not regarding killing criminals with the Death Note. Death Note is a moral battle in its entirety. You clearly didn't understand the series and is complaining now, more than a decade after the series.
We know that. It doesn't mean this is so good writing for female characters.
 

KoL2.0

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 6, 2019
Messages
37
Reaction score
35
Age
29
Country
United States
"If" Samurai 8 gets axed prematurely, do you guys think Kishi will do a Monthly Prequal Naruto Series? (Life of the SoSP?)

I know, it's a reach...

Also, Kubo pissed me off! He lied to us! Give me Noelle and Burn The Witch or he can stay in retirement! >:[ (..........Jk obviously)
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
One Piece print numbers are above 2 million alone, your calculation is wrong.
Well. that is even worse :derp. Imagine resource to make almost 3 million leaflets.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
We know that. It doesn't mean this is good writing for female characters.
It was a good writing for the story. Literature was not made to make the readers feel comfortable all the time nor to agree with the values of the readers all the time, it is made to transmit a message. There are manga series and books out there that have characters going through slavery, human trafficking, genocide, etc. Some of the most heinous crimes, you get the idea. Does it mean the author agree with such behaviors? Not necessarily, probably not all.
Nobody agrees with most of what Light does in Death Note and that's the idea of the series.

Just to give you an example of a novel I'm reading right now. The story goes like this, a high school girl abandoned her house and school for reasons unknown until this point of the story, traveled from Hokkaido to Tokyo staying in generally man houses, just making some "compensations" to stay in their houses (I hope you know what I'm trying to say with "compensations" and how despicable this is). Then she is picked by a man that treats her like a human being and not like a piece of meat and then the story begins. It has been one of the best light novel I've ever read.
It is 「ひげを剃る。そして女子高生を拾う」for those curious, I recommend very much.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
How Light treats women aggregates to the narrative about whether what he is doing is good or not regarding killing criminals with the Death Note. Death Note is a moral battle in its entirety. You clearly didn't understand the series and is complaining now, more than a decade after the series.
The problem is not Light being a dick to women, the problem is that that's the one and only purpose of every female character.
Let's make a quick recap from memory about Death Note female characters.
Let's start with Misa. She actually had some agency when she was first introduced, playing her own game, doing what she wanted, and even finding Light before he finds her. Sure, her motivation was still being obsessed with a man, but at least she put her own desires before his. Later on , however, she becomes Light's lackey and little else.

Then there's Naomi Takada, who is basically like Misa but even worse somehow.

There's also that FBI agent from the beginning, who was super-competent at her job yet was content with becoming a house-wife and only got involved because her man got killed. And then Light easily plays her fairly easily despite having proven to be very intelligent, with Ryuk commenting that he's just doing what he does with all the other girls, so there's the implication that ANY woman would fall for it.

Light's mom, whose only role is supporting her husband and little else.

Light's sister, who got to play the damsel in distress that one time.

And I think that's all of them? Am I forgetting someone?
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
About Ohba's female, give credit where credit is due. He did wrote FBI wife, which was solid and a highlight of Death Note for me. It has been so long so I forgot a lot, but two moment I remember vividly is FBI wife and tennis match. Tho she was removed from the story quickly, so who know, if she stay longer he would ruined her:hi. And Misa is beyond help.
Agree that most big 3 have better female than Obata works, but not with Naruto tho. Kishi's Sakura is the best example of how not to make a female character.
 
Last edited:

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
It was a good writing for the story. Literature was not made to make the readers feel comfortable all the time nor to agree with the values of the readers all the time, it is made to transmit a message. There are manga series and books out there that have characters going through slavery, human trafficking, genocide, etc. Some of the most heinous crimes, you get the idea. Does it mean the author agree with such behaviors? Not necessarily, probably not all.
Nobody agrees with most of what Light does in Death Note and that's the idea of the series.

Just to give you an example of a novel I'm reading right now. The story goes like this, a high school girl abandoned her house and school for reasons unknown until this point of the story, traveled from Hokkaido to Tokyo staying in generally man houses just making some "compensations" to stay in their houses (I hope you know what I'm trying to say with "compensations" and how despicable this is). Then she is picked by a man that treats her like a human being and not like a piece of meat and then story begins. It has been one of the best series I've ever read.
It is 「ひげを剃る。そして女子高生をを拾う」for those curious, I recommend very much.
I think there is a confusion.

Nobody is accusing Ohba that he thinks it is good to play with woman. In fact, it's pretty likely he thinks this is bad as he put Light in a negative light for his behavior.

That doesn't mean he writes good female characters.

In Bakuman, Mashiro says that female characters in shonen are just the ideal female of an author (and that's why he doesn't need to know women to create female characters). This wasn't put in a negative light, it was treated as the normal.


PS: I think he was right that many shonen authors create femald characters that way.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
The not kissing thing is more for the "pure" concept of the character. Not about the consent.

It isn't so good to mix "purity" and "consent".
There were many instances where Mashiro wanted more but Azuki didn't. It definitely promotes consent. They could've just gone the usual "pure" girl route and have the guy forcefully kiss her and that somehow passes as romantic. Azuki only kissed Mashiro when it met her terms, ie fullfilling their dreams.

Yeah stuff like not talking about your feelings and just bottling it up was immature but its something that grown ass people do very often even today. So, it's a bit too much to be expecting characters in their teens and early 20s to do better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top