Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I am deadly serious.




I am fine with double tensei ends in 1 or 2 chapters. Mad chad Haga will definitely make the ending worth it
I'm real glad they decided to make him the final opponent. I nearly typed out villain, but honestly, Haga's always been a misunderstood character, and I think him and Sei and/or Tai are going to end up with a pretty interesting bonding moment during this match. He was already on the right path a handful of chapters ago about discovering the whole Tai/Sei multiple personalities thing, so I hope he gets to say it before the series concludes.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
I am deadly serious.




I am fine with double tensei ends in 1 or 2 chapters. Mad chad Haga will definitely make the ending worth it
I mean... the manga would be good if it wasn't about shogi. But calling an Soon-axed manga an masterpiece...

:hmm
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,499
Reaction score
39,537
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This is what most sucks about this, Fukuda created a group of characters genuinely charismatic and their interactions are just gold, Haga is like Zenitsu, that character that start annoying and unlikeable but it turns into something simply hilarious and charismatic.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This is what most sucks about this, Fukuda created a group of characters genuinely charismatic and their interactions are just gold, Haga is like Zenitsu, that character that start annoying and unlikeable but it turns into something simply hilarious and charismatic.
Totally agree here. I wouldn't even mind of Fukuda's next series basically has characters similar to these ones, just doing something non-shogi related. He did manage to make me go from hating Haga to loving him over the course of the series. Him and Sei both had some pretty nice development given the short duration of the series, same with the others from the Tendo era.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States

Decided to update this with Infinity Train. Is there anything else announced since the second MHA movie I've missed? Or anything on the list in general.
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Yuuna's last chapter is such a tease, bringing harem plan back and even starting to go into yuri territory between the girls, Miura needs so much to go with Yuuna for a more mature magazine, Jump is totally holding back the manga's potential =/

Also, the special chapter for Mato Seihei no Slave was quite good, surprised that i never bothered to give a look, seems like a good action and ecchi/romance series, at least the Manga Editors are doing the work that Manga Plus refuses to do.
The Yuuna chapter was realistic but it also frustrates me at the same time. Cause I can't see this ending with anything other than either Yuuna winning or a harem.

The advertisement chapter was good. Mato Seihei is a pretty fun ride. It strikes a pretty good balance between action and ecchi, and each element shines in it's own way. It's relatively lighthearted compared to the author's other work (this guy wrote Akame ga Kill and Yuuki Yuuna, after all) and honestly I think it's all the better for it. The characters are pretty cool, and I seriously love the art, as I think it plays a good role in making this series work.
 
Last edited:

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico

Decided to update this with Infinity Train. Is there anything else announced since the second MHA movie I've missed? Or anything on the list in general.

Decided to update this with Infinity Train. Is there anything else announced since the second MHA movie I've missed? Or anything on the list in general.
How about KnY: Kyodai no kizuna? It was a compilation of the first 5 episodes and released as a movie before the anime aired.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
How about KnY: Kyodai no kizuna? It was a compilation of the first 5 episodes and released as a movie before the anime aired.
Doesn't appear to be on Letterboxd.
Oftentimes, compilation episodes aren't included on the site. Sometimes they slip through though based on how someone labels it on tmdb.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The Yuuna chapter was realistic but it also frustrates me at the same time. Cause I can't see this ending with anything other than Yuuna winning or a harem.

The advertisement chapter was good. Mato Seihei is a pretty fun ride. It strikes a pretty good balance between action and ecchi, and each element shines in it's own way. It's relatively lighthearted compared to the author's other work (this guy wrote Akame ga Kill and Yuuki Yuuna, after all) and honestly I think it's all the better for it. The characters are pretty cool, and I seriously like the art, as I think it plays a good role in making this series work.
Mato seihei slave is great. Love the art
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Because for the most part they cancelled for a good reason. Even though I think Double Arts was way better than Nisekoi
It was cancelled because it didn't clicked with the audience. However, you don't need to share the opinion of the majority and something that didn't click with 90% of the audience may click with the other 10%
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Because for the most part they cancelled for a good reason. Even though I think Double Arts was way better than Nisekoi
THIS. I'm still bitter about it, but even I wouldn't call it a "masterpiece" per se. I just simply consider it a superior work to Nisekoi. I consider something a "masterpiece" if it's left a long-lasting impression.

Yeah, masterpieces can totally be unsuccessful, or even never receive the love they deserved in their lifetime, so I dig this. The Producers was an unmitigated disaster until Peter Sellers vouched for it, and now it’s a cinematic legend of comedy. Earthbound sold like absolute garbage in the US on release despite a huge promotional campaign, but is widely considered on of the best RPGs ever made nowadays.

i guess the thing is that a series can have a reason to flop, whether due to a missing quality or lack of mainstream appeal, and not be disqualified from being considered a masterpiece. Especially as hey.

hey. That’s SUPER subjective for the most part, even when it has a wider consensus.
Hindsight is 20/20 after all. I think there have been some pretty famous works that in hindsight, would've been a hit if it was released now instead of then.

Kuroko no Basket collaboration with Watanabe Yuta (have played in NBA)
Somebody needs to ask him if he ever name-dropped Midorima to Steph at one point.

I'm pretty sure he's still playing in the NBA, though. Unless I missed the news that he got cut:hmm

(BTW, Steph is actually a fusion of Midorima+Akashi+Kuroko+Aomine, now that I think about it. I will be fucking lividly confused if Japan becomes so desperate they'd use the "Maki rules" on Steph)
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Arguing about what does or doesn't qualify as a masterpiece is off-topic. Let's course correct, please.

Also everyone, please observe these general Forum Rules so situations like this don't happen again. More specifically:

Please be respectful and show common courtesy not only to other members, but also artists, publishers, studios and the likes. Difference of opinion is a given during discussion, and criticism has its place, so long as it is constructive and contributes to the ongoing conversation; not used to bash others or to just generally be negative. Being passive aggressive, sarcastic or trolling to bait others is not acceptable.
Make use of the report function. A report button is located at the bottom of every post. If there is an issue, click the button. An alert will be sent to the moderators. There is an identical report button at the bottom of every Private Message (see Members Guide for more step by step detail). Clicking this will send an alert to the administrators. Reports are only visible to staff members. Using the report button allows staff to handle troublemakers and avoid fueling any spiraling discussions between members.
Your personal issues with a certain person does not need to involve the forum and its members. We can ask that all personal affairs be kept off the forum and dealt with privately.
Backseat modding will not be tolerated; please allow the staff to handle any troublemaking issues or questions in the forum, your only requirement is as stated above; to report the content and thus avoid being involved.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
If Ohba/Obata duo are ending Platinum End; would you want them back in WSJ and if so, what type of manga would you want them to do?
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
If Ohba/Obata duo are ending Platinum End; would you want them back in WSJ and if so, what type of manga would you want them to do?
I think Obata will try something different before teaming up with Ohba again. He did All You Need is Kill, Blue Dragon Ral Grad and Gakyuu Hotei between DN-Bakuman and Bakuman-Platinum End
But I honestly don't see them going back to the magazine at all
 

Roacher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
138
Country
Poland
If Ohba/Obata duo are ending Platinum End; would you want them back in WSJ and if so
No matter for me but if I must choose i say yes. They are famous and experience even if Platina End have some issues.
what type of manga would you want them to do?
Some detective story like Danganronpa.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
If Ohba/Obata duo are ending Platinum End; would you want them back in WSJ and if so, what type of manga would you want them to do?
I don't really see those two getting back to WSJ again either. I mean a weekly series is a lot of work overall and I dunno how fast Obata works but drawing almost 80 pages every month is a lot, especially since he's already 50. Even assuming they end Platinum End in the next two years, I think Obata would most likely either stay in SQ or just move to J+.
Ohba is a different story. I think he could being the writer of another WSJ series but I don't see what he'd particularly excel at.

I could see them working separately for a bit after Platinum End though before they team up again if at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top