Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 1002 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yeah, I think we're confusing things here. Let's go with the Wikipedia definition to keep it simple.

Flat characters: two-dimensional, relatively uncomplicated
Round characters: complex figures with many different characteristics

Dynamic characters: those that change over the course of the story
Static characters: remain the same throughout

'Developped' can mean either round or dynamic depending on who you ask, so that's probably where the confusion comes from. Most characters in Kimetsu are round, but only very few of them are dynamic (so far).
No but it's about consistently developed which I assumed that characters have been consistently developed throughout the story (by each arc). Little to no characters has fit that tbh. It's only a few characters that have gotten character development in general and that was for that respective arc.

TJQ15

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
OP biggest problem in this is how Oda basically is drawing the same women when they aren't huge like Big Mom. And how basically he changed Robin and Nami body after the timeskip. lol
I think he solidified those designs around Thriller Bark or even before that but I’m basing that off the anime openings from the period. Gonna go back and compare.

Yeah, I think we're confusing things here. Let's go with the Wikipedia definition to keep it simple.

'Developped' can mean either round or dynamic depending on who you ask, so that's probably where the confusion comes from. Most characters in Kimetsu are round, but only very few of them are dynamic (so far).
Would the first two be characterization and the other two be character development?

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
173650 *173650 ハ
*81788 *816168 鬼
*54314 *797423 鬼8
*53321 *792286 鬼7
*50970 *786459 鬼9
*50323 *778057 鬼10
*46929 **46929 D
*45516 *798362 鬼16
*45114 *755460 鬼15
*41631 *779141 鬼11
*41333 *771350 鬼12
*41313 1828286 O
*41297 *853600 鬼1
*40857 *821347 鬼2
*40244 *766684 鬼13
*40192 *747679 鬼14
*39329 *804628 鬼3
*38768 *788051 鬼4
*38370 *785977 鬼5
*37806 **37806 ぼ
*36107 *786022 鬼6
*22917 *206343 吾
*22862 **22862 花
*22094 *299716 S
*19130 *520549 約
*18032 *344216 鬼
-
*13655 *387217 S1
*12304 **12304 ハ
**8521 ***8521 ぼ

HQ's figure is way lower this time around, I'm afraid it'll be hard for it to cross 400k within a month or it might not even get to it. Fantastic numbers for KNY, it still feels so unreal how huge it has become. From having mid sales to being the second best monthly seller in current WSJ. At this point, we can expect all volumes to cross 1 million or get close to it by the end of the year. OP volume 94 is doing better than volume 92, but 1.8 million is what the series is used to do in 2 or 3 weeks. Curious to see next volume's numbers. WNL and TPN are both under the line and, while not shown here, BC is under the line as well. I wonder if we're seeing a downwards trend of sales happening in many WSJ series at the same time.

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Would the first two be characterization and the other two be character development?
You can call it that. But when you google 'character development', half of the articles are about creating characters from scratch, so a lot (if not most) people use it in a more general sense.

Roacher

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Curious to see next volume's numbers. WNL and TPN are both under the line and, while not shown here, BC is under the line as well. I wonder if we're seeing a downwards trend of sales happening in many WSJ series at the same time.
I think the one of reasons is that overall physical manga market sales decline.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should Jump editorial hire a female editor? I mean yeah, given the chance. More than anything they should be trying to encourage such a thing, push for it even. Get the right workers in and normalise the idea. All this mealy-mouthed excusing of it is just more resistance to change in one of comicdom’s longest-running boys’ clubs.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jump+ manga Good Morning Psychopath Chapter 1 has been scanlated

supercow297

Reaction score
Country
United States
This topic is just about over for me, since I do not want to have to edit my thoughts again and again to fit this forum's rules in fear of deletion. I am saying this in the most polite, moderation-conscious way possible here already.

I believe that the poll's question is oversimplified and there is no right answer to it.

The question is worded in such a way that if even if your opinion does not align with yes, it is still far closer to yes than no, so it eliminates the chances of you picking no, while making sure everyone either 1. seemingly agrees or 2. Seems to have a completely nonsensical opinion otherwise.

For example if someone says they don't really like dogs that much, and then they are questioned like so: "so you hate all dogs with a burning passion huh", obviously the answer will be no but that in no way properly expresses the guy's feelings. If you believe this is a false equivalency fine, I will not claim that these are 1:1 but rather this is only the "feeling" I am getting.

It strongly reminds me of that interview where the interviewer keeps trying to say "Oh so you're saying you hate women, then" when the interviewer has said nothing of the sort.

I have expressed my personal opinion on the specific contents of the poll question, and have not targeted any moderators or moderation actions. At this point I am thoroughly done with this topic and hope you can let this post fly.

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Yeah, it would help a lot if there was a "Women should have a chance to be hired but they shouldn't go looking for women specifically" option.

Since now it kind of feels like you have to choose between "No, they should not hire women ever" and "Yes, they should go and hunt down a female editor to hire right away."

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
I felt this shouldn't have been necessary, since it kind of went without saying, but I altered the poll question and reset the votes.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I felt this shouldn't have been necessary, since it kind of went without saying, but I altered the poll question and reset the votes.
It didn't changed anything for better, it actually make it even worse with the "qualified" because who would even want a incompetent editor doesn't matter if a man or woman? now if you vote "No" you're literally being a "misogynist" lol

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan

Black clover: static/dynamic/flat
Mha: dynamic/round/(females flat)
Kny: round/ lil bit dynamic
TPN: round
Drstone: round/static
WNL: dynamic
JJK: dynamic/ Heavy round
CSM: Dynamic/round
AA: dynamic/round
OP: Dynamic/static

supercow297

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's a bit of a separate question, btw: (Let's say, in celebration of 1000 pages).

What are your favorite things about your favorite WSJ series? If you could analyze how that ties into how your series became (hopefully) successful that would also be interesting.

It'll be nice to hear everyone's positive opinions for once.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Guys, this really isn't a complicated issue, and I feel it's being turned way more complicated then it needs to be.

You either do want a female editor, or you don't. No one said anything about forced hirings regardless of qualifications or the like. That's just sidestepping the issue. I'm not going to create a million different options for every possible variable. I will change the poll ONCE more to get more straight forward with the question, and add a third option. But that's it.

Plus, I have a job interview tomorrow which I'm currently preparing for.

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I feel like you missed the point somewhat. It's not about whether this editor should be competent (of course she should), it's about whether they should actively try and attract women, or just continue as usual and hire one only if she happens to be the best candidate at the time.

Ah, better. Much more straighforward that way.

Black clover: static/dynamic/flat
Mha: dynamic/round/(females flat)
Kny: round/ lil bit dynamic
TPN: round
Drstone: round/static
WNL: dynamic
JJK: dynamic/ Heavy round
CSM: Dynamic/round
AA: dynamic/round
OP: Dynamic/static
I think static/dynamic usually depends on the character, not the series.

But I don't disagree with what you've written.

Paze

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
In my opinion the conversation seemed to turn to two sides of "women should be allowed to be editors because gender doesn't matter" and "we specifically need female editors because they offer different things".

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
In my opinion the conversation seemed to turn to two sides of "women should be allowed to be editors because gender doesn't matter" and "we specifically need female editors because they offer different things".
It did. But before, the poll was kind of forcing people from both sides to vote 'yes' in order to be politically correct, and now you have a third option and more room for personal opinion.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Here's a bit of a separate question, btw: (Let's say, in celebration of 1000 pages).

What are your favorite things about your favorite WSJ series? If you could analyze how that ties into how your series became (hopefully) successful that would also be interesting.

I'm a sucker for the 'bad guy turned good' trope. Considering how Dragon Ball used that one in pretty much every single arc, I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Talking precisely about Black Clover is exactly the fact that is a typical and classic battle shounen but not outdated, with the time Tabata was able to turn something that started way too typical into something actually refreshing and modern without losing that feeling of being a very traditional battle shounen, is the manga that actually makes me feel like the "new Naruto" in story terms (not sales) instead of BNHA, and it fill the void left by Naruto (for me) in terms of a more traditional take on battle shounens

supercow297

Reaction score
Country
United States
Talking precisely about Black Clover is exactly the fact that is a typical and classic battle shounen but not outdated, with the time Tabata was able to turn something that started way too typical into something actually refreshing and modern without losing that feeling of being a very traditional battle shounen, is the manga that actually makes me feel like the "new Naruto" in story terms (not sales) instead of BNHA, and it fill the void left by Naruto (for me) in terms of a more traditional take on battle shounens
How do you think Black Clover did it?

Status
Not open for further replies.