Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 1003 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
How do you think Black Clover did it?
With time and also Tabata being smart enough to learn with mistakes made with Hungry Joker that was Fairy Tail level of bad, BC was typical and cliche at the beginning but it was never objectively bad, Tabata never jumped the shark or made Asta defeats people out of nowhere screaming "Black Bulls!!!" and etc, so with the time to develop things and avoiding to fall into this territory he was able to refine the manga each arc, give the spotlight for the important characters and now he have a really good battle shounen with a great cast of characters.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What are your favorite things about your favorite WSJ series?
Cute character designs
Cute character interactions
High School setting is the best setting
Height Difference between bickering characters who both annoy each other but inspire each other
Cool logo
Subverts Expectations

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
MangaPlus has picked up the Jump+ manga The Vertical World, 47 chapters and ongoing.

my post from last year thread when someone asked me what's my favorite 2018 oneshot

I dunno about the best, but this is my favorite one

https://shonenjumpplus.com/episode/10834108156635525727

it isn't a oneshot, it's a namu by the writer of Kokoronashi no Kirimu

feels like Made in Abyss x Studio Ghibli

hopefully it's get redrawn and picked up for a full series
one of the few times a oneshot i liked get serialized, not to mention officially licensed in English
don't let the art scares you off, give it a read everyone, it's a really charming series

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Taishou secret: Kimetsu sale is too stronk

How about a poll about how long this boost will last?
Just realised now that v17 of Kimetsu no Yaiba is very close to beat the last Hunter x Hunter volume that sold 879k in a bit more than a month, so it will literally become the 2nd best selling manga on Shonen Jump

Last edited:

Nav

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #50:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Cover & LCP)
Dr. STONE
Haikyu!!
The Promised Neverland
Black Clover
Chainsaw Man (CP)
My Hero Academia
ACT-AGE
We Never Learn
Jujutsu Kaisen
The Red Pledge (One-Shot, CP)
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Mission: Yozakura Family
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
Mitama Security: Spirit Busters
Double Taisei
Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru
Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Beast Children
Dr. STONE reboot: Byakuya (Spin-Off)
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #51:
Cover & LCP: Haikyu!!
CP: Black Clover (Double Page Spread), Dr. STONE, Yuuna and the Haunted Hotspring

Last edited:

lgrmjauffre

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This ToC has me conflicted. Yozakura hasn't necessarily dropped to the bottom, which is good this far in. But considering it's below Yuuna, and everything below it sans Mitama and Samurai 8 are basically cancelled at this point, I'm very worried.

Theoretically, they could have 20 series in the magazine that all sell well and are well enough received, making being in the back of the magazine irrelevant, but I still can't help but worry reader surveys will end up dooming a good series again.

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
There's that Haikyuu cover many were wanting.

Also

RISE TAISEI ᵉᵛᵉⁿ ᵗʰᵒᵘᵍʰ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵃˡʳᵉᵃᵈʸ ᵈᵉᵃᵈ

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #50:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Cover & LCP)
Dr. STONE
Haikyu!!
The Promised Neverland
Black Clover
Chainsaw Man (CP)
My Hero Academia
ACT-AGE
We Never Learn
Jujutsu Kaisen
The Red Pledge (One-Shot, CP)
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Mission: Yozakura Family
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
Mitama Security: Spirit Busters
Double Taisei
Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru
Tokyo Shinobi Squad
Beast Children
Dr. STONE reboot: Byakuya (Spin-Off)
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #51:
Cover & LCP: Haikyu!!
CP: Black Clover, Dr. STONE, Yuuna and the Haunted Hotspring

Double Taisei desperately trying to show signs of life gasping for breath over Samurai 8 again lol. Haga will give Daouble Taisei explosive popularity! Once Double Taisei, Beast Children, and TSS all wrap up, it seems like Mitama and Yozakura appear to be trending toward the bottom of the pack though. Honestly, I like Yozakura decently and Mitama has been steadily growing on me as it has introduced new side characters.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This ToC has me conflicted. Yozakura hasn't necessarily dropped to the bottom, which is good this far in. But considering it's below Yuuna, and everything below it sans Mitama and Samurai 8 are basically cancelled at this point, I'm very worried.

Theoretically, they could have 20 series in the magazine that all sell well and are well enough received, making being in the back of the magazine irrelevant, but I still can't help but worry reader surveys will end up dooming a good series again.
Hopefully it gets good results in January. I really want it to survive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Color page for Black Clover means no cover for #52, sometimes i understand why Mammo hates Nakano -_-

Also still no color page for Yozakura, happy to see Kamio Yui out of the bottom again, it wouldn't kill them to give a color page for the manga, is quite ridiculous that the manga is going on for over 30 chapters almost always at the "top" of the bottom but never got a color page after chapter 2.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
With time and also Tabata being smart enough to learn with mistakes made with Hungry Joker that was Fairy Tail level of bad, BC was typical and cliche at the beginning but it was never objectively bad, Tabata never jumped the shark or made Asta defeats people out of nowhere screaming "Black Bulls!!!" and etc, so with the time to develop things and avoiding to fall into this territory he was able to refine the manga each arc, give the spotlight for the important characters and now he have a really good battle shounen with a great cast of characters.
I mean, idk... It's become a lot of fun now, but early Black Clover was pretty atrocious. To the point where it was a massive joke amongst most discussion boards. Really felt like a manga created by an editorial board.
Around the time Leo was introduced though Tabata kind of got his shit together imo, but that still was still well before the LN characters fiasco.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Color page for Black Clover means no cover for #52, sometimes i understand why Mammo hates Nakano -_-

Also still no color page for Yozakura, happy to see Kamio Yui out of the bottom again, it wouldn't kill them to give a color page for the manga, is quite ridiculous that the manga is going on for over 30 chapters almost always at the "top" of the bottom but never got a color page after chapter 2.
Color page for explosive survivability! Speaking of Kamio Yui, I completely forgot that it existed for a moment and then remembered how close this one seems to concluding as well. It seems like they're going to do the whole "start new series with issue 1" thing they did this past year. I'd say a round of 4 minimum is incoming with Beast Children, TSS, Double Taisei :(, and Kamio Yui all definitely ending. I could potentially see them concluding Yozukura and/or Mitama if it seems like the internal reception or sales prospects seems poor. So if they had a new series start each issue (1, 2,3 and 4/5), then each Mitama and Yozakura would have about 2-3 volumes worth of chapters by the time 6/7 would come out

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I could see Neverland wrapping up real quick. Honestly, stuff has been feeling really rushed for a while now.

Kimetsu could possibly next serialization round or probably after if it doesn't get prolonged with a timeskip or something. I'd like to see the mangaka with something new though.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could see Neverland wrapping up real quick. Honestly, stuff has been feeling really rushed for a while now.

Kimetsu could possibly next serialization round or probably after if it doesn't get prolonged with a timeskip or something.
In addition to those, I think the author of We Never Learn may try to wrap up the series to it'll end around March/April since that would coincide with actual Japanese high school graduations. For a series that has placed so much emphasis on testing and everything, I think that'd be a nice touch that the readers would appreciate if the characters graduated at the same time they did.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hmm... It'd be really cool if we got another 6 series batch like we got a couple years ago.

Who do you guys think would be likely to return in such a scenario?
Last time we got We Can't Study, U19, Poro (Yozakura family mangaka), Hungry Marie, Dr. Stone, and Robot x Lazerbeam.
Three series by vets, a GFC winner (debuting with a manga that wasn't the winning oneshot), and two relative newbies (I know WCS mangaka did a Nisekoi spinoff, but he was new to Weekly Jump).

I think it's very likely we'll see Shibata and Moue getting second chances. Maybe we'll finally get that Galaxy Gangs wish. Especially with Samurai 8 failing lol (don't ban me again pls).
Wouldn't be surprised to see Ishiyama get his third and final strike.
For returning veterans of successful series, I can totally see Shima back soon. Komi, Aso, or Matsui perhaps? Iwamoto please?
I wouldn't be surprised to see Numa back.
Who was the dude who did that one-shot about the angels a couple years back? Would be cool to see them finally serialized.

Status
Not open for further replies.