Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
2019 films watched so far

Parasite - 10/10
The Lighthouse - 9/10
And Then We Danced - 8.5/10 (highly recommend this one, it's a Swedish-Georgian production which has stirred up a lot of hatred in homophobic Georgia - the cast and crew had bodyguards on set because of death threats - which is a testament to how important it is. Maybe I rate it a bit high because of that, but so be it.)
Klaus - 8.5/10
Jojo Rabbit - 8/10
Rocketman - 8/10
Joker - 8/10
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 8/10
Toy Story 4 - 8/10
Us - 7.5/10
Alita: Battle Angel - 7/10
Ready or Not - 7/10
The Irishman - 7/10
Zombieland: Double Tap - 7/10
Frozen II - 6/10
Yesterday - 6/10
The Lion King - 5/10

To watch:

Marriage Story
1917
Waves
The Peanut Butter Falcon
The Farewell
Pain and Glory
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Honey Boy
Dolemite Is My Name
Midsommar
Ford v Ferrari
Queen & Slim
Beanpole (
at @Eigengrau's high recommendation)
Booksmart
Ad Astra
Shazam!
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
The Dead Don't Die
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker


and probably some others I forget atm...
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,285
Reaction score
24,919
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Saw the morbius trailer.... my only thought at it: pathetic.

At first I was just confused. I couldn't tell if this was supposed to be an MCU movie or not. Then spidey references... And god knows how many seconds of homecoming and far from home stuff.... It only makes me think they have zero faith in the movie they are making that they have to tie it somehow to movies people enjoyed.

Sony, please stop being this pathetic and sad and just sell spidey related stuff. I loath that disney owns everything but you are too incompetent to actually take advantage of what you have. Even venom was at best average and you didn't actually deliver a proper anti hero venom. Just stop, this is sad and pathetic and I will have no more of alternate MCUs.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Beanpole (at @Eigengrau's high recommendation)
:hi
Hopefully it'll be worth your time.

I should be able to see Jojo Rabbit as well as 1917 before the end of the month.
Portrait of a Lady on Fire only premieres around here at the end of February.

Also, I found out a few days ago about a film called "Corpus Christi" that's going to premiere soon around here as well, and then yesterday I found out that it was also nominated for Best (Foreign) International Film Feature.

The ratings/reviews seem to be good so I'll definitely be checking that one out as well, although we all know that Paradise is a lock for sure.



Oscar Contest 2020.

Coming Soon.

Only on selected cinemas discussion forums.
:dancin

Saw the morbius trailer.... my only thought at it: pathetic.
I have 0 interest in the film regardless, but upon watching the trailer all I could think about was how it looked like something that should've come out 10-15 years ago.

I dunno, it felt like a mix between Blade + Venom (the recent film).

Nothing about it looks good, but then again I don't really know what people are saying.

The fact that it also came out recently that Leto was/is an asshole that threw a fit and tried to have the "Joker" film cancelled will probably do no good as well.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Polar - 9 / 10
High Flying Bird - 10 / 10
The Laundromat - 8 / 10
Dolemite is My Name - 10 / 10
I Am Mother - 8 / 10
Always Be My Maybe - 9 / 10
The Irishman - 8 / 10
Velvet Buzzsaw - 7 / 10
Triple Frontier - 7 / 10
In The Tall Grass - 7 / 10
Last Black Man in San Francisco - 9 / 10
The Report - 8 / 10
Guava Island - 9 / 10
The Goldfinch - 9 / 10
Fractured - 8 / 10
Luce - 9 / 10
Brian Banks - 9 / 10
Peanut Butter Falcon - 8 / 10
Honey Boy - 8 / 10
Marriage Story - 6 / 10
Uncut Gems - 8 / 10
Killerman - 9 / 10
The Dead Don't Die - 6 / 10
Ready or Not - 7 / 10
Us - 9 / 10
Glass - 10 / 10
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - 7 / 10
Alita: Battle Angel - 8 / 10
Midsommar - 6 / 10
Parasite - 6 / 10
It: Chapter Two - 7 / 10
John Wick: Chapter 3 (Parabellum) - 8 / 10
Knives Out - 10 / 10
Dr. Sleep - 9 / 10
*One Piece: Stampede - 8 / 10
*Toy Story 4 - 8 / 10


- Have to say, the independent film industry put out a lot of great films in 2019 and imo, out did the mainstream market overall. Even the ones I thought were okay, were still well done. :verily
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Saw the morbius trailer.... my only thought at it: pathetic.

At first I was just confused. I couldn't tell if this was supposed to be an MCU movie or not. Then spidey references... And god knows how many seconds of homecoming and far from home stuff.... It only makes me think they have zero faith in the movie they are making that they have to tie it somehow to movies people enjoyed.

Sony, please stop being this pathetic and sad and just sell spidey related stuff. I loath that disney owns everything but you are too incompetent to actually take advantage of what you have. Even venom was at best average and you didn't actually deliver a proper anti hero venom. Just stop, this is sad and pathetic and I will have no more of alternate MCUs.
Well, I thought the Venom trailer was pathetic, but I were positively surprised by the actual film, so not judging yet. (Pleasantly suprirised meaning it was fairly fun film with some good moments, but overall pretty average supernatural action film). Must say though that Morbius' vampire design looked silly.

But yeah, the connection to MCU is confusing. The best summary I've seen this far was this Youtube comment;

Audience: So is this MCU?
Sony: Yesn't
Marvel Studios: *blank stare*

I'm starting to think, that this is what eventually signed the new Spider-man deal. (As most of you most likely know, it seemed for a long while that Spiderman was out of MCU, because Disney and Sony couldn't agree on a continuation deal). So I'm starting think is, that the new deal includes the right for Sony to tie in their solo films into the MCU, but doesn't require Marvel to response to that. So they may be or may not be in MCU.

Or alternatively, part of the deal was that Sony gets to go thorough with their Sinister Six film (in development limbo for a decade or so), which will be the same as Spiderman 4 or 5. So it will be in the MCU, but Marve Studios won't reference to these other films other than in the one Spiderman sequel.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,234
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I'm having a feeling this will be Tarantino's 2007...
Once Upon a Time and QT will win Best Picture and Best Director just like what happened with The Departed and Scorsese in 2007.

Parasite and Bong Joon-ho should win. But you know... Politics.

Don't think Capitalist America will let this guy win:



Sad.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,840
Reaction score
23,503
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't know what to think, really. About any Marvel movies right now, Sony or Disney, honestly.

For me it's just not hitting a great time, I guess. Like I loved Marvel comics. But the MCU had a finale with End Game. I think that's my movie of the year. Because of how perfectly it book ended the MCU. And the scope and accomplishment of that seems so incredible. But as a result a Marvel superhero movie now needs to make a stronger case that it's worth seeing than ever before.

Like I haven't seen Spiderman: Far From Home yet because I'm just not driven to see the continuation of that story. For me it feels like the story ended. So they need to make a case for why I need to revisit it in order to get me into a theater.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I'm having a feeling this will be Tarantino's 2007...
Once Upon a Time and QT will win Best Picture and Best Director just like what happened with The Departed and Scorsese in 2007.

Parasite and Bong Joon-ho should win. But you know... Politics.

Don't think Capitalist America will let this guy win:



Sad.
Parasite will win for sure Best Foreign Film, but it's pretty much what happened last year with Roma: won Best Foreign Film, but Best Picture went to another one.

Although it is pretty amazing that Parasite got 6 nominations total, and honestly, compared to so many other films, I think it really deserves to be "film of the year" because we've been hearing nothing but good things about it throughout the year ever since it premiered in May.

It's been everywhere, people talking about it, and then it having such a good box office in the USA for a foreign film, etc...

1917 might be really good (haven't seen it yet), but come on, giving "Best Picture of the Year" to something that hasn't even been in theaters for more than a month seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Say what you want about the quality of each of them, but the way I see it, both Joker and Parasite really defined what a "Best Picture" should be, not only because of their cultural impact but also how they spark conversation, debate, and get people to go to theaters and see the film.

Also I really didn't like Tarantino's film and don't really understand how it got so many nominations, but that's just me.

Excluding "... Hollywood", I also don't think "The Irishman" and "Ford v Ferrari" deserve to win. Screw those 3, but I'll be fine with any of the others.

I don't mind Joker not winning as long as Joaquin gets the Oscar, I could see "Marriage Story" winning, maybe (then again, Netflix), but I feel like Joker/Parasite deserve it the most over any others, especially 1917.

We'll see, it's bound to be a very interesting Oscar season, but we'll discuss some more in the other thread (thanks @Ustegius )

I don't know what to think, really. About any Marvel movies right now, Sony or Disney, honestly.

For me it's just not hitting a great time, I guess. Like I loved Marvel comics. But the MCU had a finale with End Game. I think that's my movie of the year. Because of how perfectly it book ended the MCU. And the scope and accomplishment of that seems so incredible.
I understand that, I mean now they have to start a new phase from scratch and build it all up once again.

Maybe the Eternals might be the one to draw you back in? From what (little) I understand it's meant to be one of their most epic ones yet, judging by the cast and whatnot. Maybe a Avengers/Guardians mix of some kind?

The new trailer for New Mutants also seemed decent to me, I might go and see it (if I get free tickets) just because of the horror aspect alone.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,840
Reaction score
23,503
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We'll see. Any superhero movie that's trying something different will always peak my interest.

Like it doesn't qualify for this year, since it was the year before, but Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse was one of the most fun and interesting superhero movies I've seen. And I'd love to see more like that.

Something in the Deadpool mold of a movie that is part of a standalone creative vision.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Went to see Underwater and actually liked it quite a bit.

It's just a well acted underwater monster movie. One of the better movies of this type in quite a while actually and I feel like a lot of the reason why is Kristen Steward and the rest of the actors in this movie. The characters all feel just a little deeper than you'd expect which lends quite a bit to this kind of thriller. It's not really a new concept but it's quite well executed.

I'd say like 8 out of 10.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Parasite and Bong Joon-ho should win. But you know... Politics.

Don't think Capitalist America will let this guy win
This isn't the 1930s. Plenty of films have gained recognition for their merits, regardless of what sort of political message they have. Like Eigengrau sort of alluded to, the only thing working against Parasite is it being a foreign film.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Parasite just pulled off an upset and won the "biggest" SAG Award: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture (the first foreign language film ever to win). So you never know!
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Alright, this is gonna make the next few award shows quite interesting.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
The Irishman was kinda... disappointing. Honestly, not at all disappointed De Niro wasn't Oscar nominated, and think Pesci and Pacino were good but nowhere near, say, Dafoe in The Lighthouse. I usually like when films take their time to tell a story, but there should still be enjoyment to find in every scene and - maybe because I personally didn't find the acting that great - to me, there wasn't. Cinematography was great, but the de-aging made some scenes look like video game CGI cut scenes tbh.

Overall a decent but tired, predictable and not very suspenseful story. Okay, never actually truly boring, and some parts were top notch but too few to make the 3,5h really feel worth it.

A weak 7/10.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@Ustegius Klaus won big at the Annies! :zomg And I Lost My Body nabbed several prizes as well! So glad. I hope this shakes up the animation industry and makes producers realize there's still a high demand for 2D films. Still doubt this will help those two beat Toy Story 4 at the Oscars with the Disney/Pixar bias they have, but one can always hope!
 
Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
The Irishman was kinda... disappointing. Honestly, not at all disappointed De Niro wasn't Oscar nominated, and think Pesci and Pacino were good but nowhere near, say, Dafoe in The Lighthouse. I usually like when films take their time to tell a story, but there should still be enjoyment to find in every scene and - maybe because I personally didn't find the acting that great - to me, there wasn't. Cinematography was great, but the de-aging made some scenes look like video game CGI cut scenes tbh.

Overall a decent but tired, predictable and not very suspenseful story. Okay, never actually truly boring, and some parts were top notch but too few to make the 3,5h really feel worth it.

A weak 7/10.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@Ustegius Klaus won big at the Annies! :zomg And I Lost My Body nabbed several prizes as well! So glad. I hope this shakes up the animation industry and makes producers realize there's still a high demand for 2D films. Still doubt this will help those two beat Toy Story 4 at the Oscars with the Disney/Pixar bias they have, but one can always hope!
Niiice! I do really hope that the big studios a realize the same that Netflix already has realized - there is a huge audience for traditional cartoons and animation. Yeah, still most likely not to rain on Toy Story's parade. But maybe the vote is a big more even (if what I remember about rumors is correct, all the Toy Stories have won with landslide, despite actually seriously competing films being there)
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Started watching The Two Popes while making lasagna earlier, thinking it was gonna be one of those films I just sort of dutifully "get over with"... but honestly, and I say this as a very atheist guy (lot of people have made it sound like you'd enjoy this the most if you're a catholic or at least religious), this was a pretty great film. As soon as the two characters had their first big scene together I had to pause it because I wanted to pay full attention to it and not half-watch it like I was planning to.

Both the leads give truly great performances, and make it seem so effortless. Especially found Jonathan Pryce to be quite astonishing through very small means. Like I said, I've been prejudiced and underrating this film because it seemed so very "Oscar-baity", but tbh I really find the nominations it got to be very well deserved. The dialogue just flows throughout the film (it's very dialogue-driven), saying a lot without ever feeling pompous or pretentious. Just a great combination of fantastic dialogue and having actors who do it justice. (Should've also gotten a nod for Editing over Joker imo.)

Solid 8/10.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Anyone here use Letterboxd?
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
First movie of the year for me was "The Turning", which I saw yesterday (only because I scored free tickets).
I can only hope that this is the worst film I'll have to see all year, but considering that this is merely the 1st one I've seen, I really don't know if I should cross my fingers...

But yeah, I already knew that the film was going to be bad, but y'know, up until the last 10-15mins, it was "forgettable bad", not the "excruciatingly bad" kind, but the "ending", if we can even call it that, absolutely destroyed any "movie structure" that the movie might've had to begin with.

Avoid at all costs.

Also, the funny thing is that I'm willing to bet that if I had a heart monitor throughout the entire film, my heart-rate would've never changed, not even once.
You could see all the jumpscares coming from a mile away, and half of those were laughably bad if not imperceptible.

I know that this project had a lot of trouble getting off the ground, but goddamn this was literally 90mins of nothing.

I mean it's so bad that there's literally nothing to talk about.


Anyone here use Letterboxd?
Not yet, still using IMDb but I might create a letterbox someday, I think I can just import the lists from IMDb.
 
Top