Moderator Notice: Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.
These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei
Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi
GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
lol nice joke. that editor done his job so did kishi. so basically if the editor is behind the success of naruto then what about low points of naruto is it also editor's fault or is it kishi's.
lol nice joke. that editor done his job so did kishi. so basically if the editor is behind the success of naruto then what about low points of naruto is it also editor's fault or is it kishi's.
He's a writer, and you have to attribute Boichi as part of the success, though. As well as having a real life scientist consultant.
I more meant the veterans that, like, do the art and write. I know Kishi is a writer too, but he's also doing sketching, panel work, etc. So more than a writer typically does.
Forget about Kishi for a moment. The last few veterans that came back all failed as well.
Were all of them just bad and deserved to get cancelled? You can make the argument that only good series survive, but that's not true, and is kinda naive to suggest. It's not that black and white.
I'm not going to bring quality into it (I even avoided calling S8 bad and simply said it isn't liked), but each case is different. Big names help, but you can't expect to survive on them alone.
What series "deserves to get cancelled" isn't up to me, but S8 got preferential treatment, clear as day. How fair is it to the newbies if S8 is allowed to continue in spite of the fact that it clearly isn't doing well, despite all the help it got?
then just say until pain editor wrote story of naruto. After that Kishii messed up right.
i think u should also find a nice editor or else u cant be a future writer.
after his no one cant blame Kishi for low points of naruto. its the fault of editor leaving naruto or jump for not giving good editor.
then just say until pain editor wrote story of naruto. After that Kishii messed up right.
i think u should also find a nice editor or else u cant be a future writer.
after his no one cant blame Kishi for low points of naruto. its the fault of editor leaving naruto or jump for not giving good editor.
Except not all series get the same amount of editorial meddling as naruto did, and holy moly you can't blame the editor leaving for kishi being unable to write his own series, like, seriously?
Except not all series get the same amount of editorial meddling as naruto did, and holy moly you can't blame the editor leaving for kishi being unable to write his own series, like, seriously?
Editors don't "meddle" with Jump, they act as advisers. Indeed, many believe part of the problem with Samurai 8 is that the series editor was extremely hands off with Kishimoto's work and was basically unable to say "no" to anything he thought of.
Editors don't "meddle" with Jump, they act as advisers. Indeed, many believe part of the problem with Samurai 8 is that the series editor was extremely hands off with Kishimoto's work and was basically unable to say "no" to anything he thought of.
don't bring many believe shit here. unless u have any actual evidence of behind the scenes regarding the meddling with naruto or Kishi not letting s8 editor do his work or editor not able to say anything to kishi because of status.
If there's one thing I hate on the anime/manga community in thewest is how editors are misinterpreted and maligned. And I say that as someone who did that a decade ago.
Kishi wanted all his characters to resemble animals.
Sasuke came from the editor.
The genin tournament came from the editor because kishi wanted to introduce every team one by one.
Orochimaru interrupting the tournament also came from the editor.
Hell, IIRC even the zabusa saga idea came from him.
[...]
Try to picture early naruto without any of those and tell me it's not basically a different series. And by the way, this is not speculation, look it up.
Kishi wanted all his characters to resemble animals.
Sasuke came from the editor.
The genin tournament came from the editor because kishi wanted to introduce every team one by one.
Orochimaru interrupting the tournament also came from the editor.
Hell, IIRC even the zabusa saga idea came from him.
[...]
Try to picture early naruto without any of those and tell me it's not basically a different series. And by the way, this is not speculation, look it up.
the editor asked for a rival, not specifically about Sasuke. at the end of day kishi created character Sasuke not the editor.
the editor wanted to more characters to spice things up but at the end it became bad idea of creating characters for one arc without planning before.
yeah, I see different naruto without these changes but that doesn't make naruto suck and there might be a possibility of being most of the sold manga in history.
the editor asked for a rival, not specifically about Sasuke. at the end of day kishi created character Sasuke not the editor.
the editor wanted to more characters to spice things up but at the end it became bad idea of creating characters for one arc without planning before.
yeah, I see different naruto without these changes but that doesn't make naruto suck and there might be a possibility of being most of the sold manga in history.
Again, you really don't understand what I'm saying here. Please tell me where I ever said naruto sucks, because I'm pretty sure I never did. It only got bad post pain for me, I very much liked it before that.
Even if the editor had a big part in Naruto's success it literally changes nothing about the quality of the series, only about your view of Kishimoto, if anything.
Again, you really don't understand what I'm saying here. Please tell me where I ever said naruto sucks, because I'm pretty sure I never did. It only got bad post pain for me, I very much liked it before that.
Even if the editor had a big part in Naruto's success it literally changes nothing about the quality of the series, only about your view of Kishimoto, if anything.
I'm not talking about it being bad. I'm talking about the point on how naruto as a series became popular due to editor suggestion and you are implying that without these changes naruto would be bad or not as successful but I think it can go either way. editors make suggestion all the time. the things u pointed out came from kishi's own interview after series ended. After 5 years you people bringing up these points while painting it got most meddling from the editor. the one of big arc of one piece sabaody arc was suggested by the editor because oda didn't had plans introducing worst gen that early.
so stop making his point of editors changes to naruto is the reason why naruto became what it is and why samurai 8 didn't. changes in the manga by editors is a common thing in every manga but we didn't know about other manga that's it.
Call me unsympathetic, but I can't feel truly "sorry" for Kishimoto because he knew full in that many of the concepts and storytelling in the series would be hard to grasp at best for readers, but still went through with it under the belief that his name value would protect him until it "got good" (infamously comparing it to eating squid). Ultimitely, the thing which did Kishimoto in was his belief that he was basically invincible due to Naruto, nothing else.
Exactly. I think people really are forgetting that Jump did everything in their power to back S8 up. They gave it probably the biggest amount of advertising for a new manga in industry history, with the Festa promo video, billboards all across Shibuya and the Yamanobe line, and an interview in the Yomiuri Shimbun , and yet the series still failed to meet expectations by major margin. Even when it began running, Jump placed it in the May promo video when Chainsaw Man didn't despite strong sales, and got an LCP with Chapter 12. Jump was incredibly kind to Kishimoto, and yet they got basically nothing in return.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
....Last time I checked, you can't make a "headcanon" of reality.
Is he wrong for assuming people would support him due to Naruto?
You’re saying this as if he absolutely knew that he was writing something that wasn’t going to be well received and went with it anyway.
All he was saying is that with how he wanted to write the story it may be a slow burn early on, but he was hoping that fans would hold out.
He’s clearly passionate about this story, regardless of people who think it isn’t good.
_____
And as Buranchi said, you’re placing all the blame on Kishimoto himself, when in reality things just happen.
Good series get axed
Worse series manage to succeed.
There are a lot of factors that can result in an ax. It doesn’t have to always be “the series just wasn’t good”.
Some could even argue that Jump’s overkill promo is what hurt the series the most, and not the series itself
___
And there’s still no way to confirm it’s getting axed yet regardless of what happened in the new chapter
I'm not talking about it being bad. I'm talking about the point on how naruto as a series became popular due to editor suggestion and you are implying that without these changes naruto would be bad or not as successful but I think it can go either way. editors make suggestion all the time. the things u pointed out came from kishi's own interview after series ended. After 5 years you people bringing up these points while painting it got most meddling from the editor. the one of big arc of one piece sabaody arc was suggested by the editor because oda didn't had plans introducing worst gen that early.
so stop making his point of editors changes to naruto is the reason why naruto became what it is and why samurai 8 didn't. changes in the manga by editors is a common thing in every manga but we didn't know about other manga that's it.
I did not say it got "the most editorial meddling", I said not all series get the same amount of editorial meddling. There's no shame in it so I don't even see what you're so upset about.
If you think it would've had the same amount of success that's fine by me, but there are a lot of coincidences with Kishimoto suggesting otherwise.
I did not say it got "the most editorial meddling", I said not all series get the same amount of editorial meddling. There's no shame in it so I don't even see what you're so upset about.
If you think it would've had the same amount of success that's fine by me, but there are a lot of coincidences with Kishimoto suggesting otherwise.
From now on I wonder what other characters will be in the future covers. Pillars are now complete, let's see if we'll see duos like the first 4 covers.
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.