Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,499
Reaction score
39,537
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I dont know if I can post them but this is basically from a page of the series that a trustful TL explain on discord:

- witches “created” (basically man made)
- we gathered the 3,000 girls who’d just turned 12 years old all over the country
- and implanted in them with the Evil(devils/demons) “mashi” (literally devil’s child - can also mean devil’s seed)

Basically impregnated 3,000 12 y/o girls with the devils seed to turn them into witches.

The word used is mashi literally devil child and the word is exactly like “sperm” which is seishi and uses the same kanji at the end. Only the first kanji changes so they basically put demon’s sperm in them.
Honestly, I think this could be really interesting depending on its execution. Though I really can’t see this being played for comedy at all. The spoilers already have me asking questions out of interest. I was more or less expecting a more serious tone (or at least something more serious than Undead Unluck and MASHLE). I’ll temper my expectations for now, just because it’s always good to keep those in check, but I’m hopeful.

I don't think it's a recent thing. Didn't Jujutsu start with Noah's Notes and something else dark with demons? I know there's been convos in the past 2 years I've been here about the increase in them.
I believe the third series was Ziga, which was dark but it was with kaiju instead of demons. Was definitely the most forgettable of the three.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Speaking of JJK, it will be the series 2nd anniversary in 4 issues, which will also coincide with volume 10's release. It should probably get a cover then. So probably we'll get Valentine's Day cover on issue 12, AA anniversary cover on issue 13 and JJK anniversary cover on issue 14.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I believe the third series was Ziga, which was dark but it was with kaiju instead of demons. Was definitely the most forgettable of the three.
Actually I was thinking of Bozebeats it looks like which was the round before with act-age. Scrolling through the list of series on Wikipedia just out of ones I know dark fantasy stuff isn't that rare with or without demons. We usually get a few each year.
I guess Higuma wasn't technically demons but that started the same round as chainsaw man and the round after saw Last Saiyuki and all of those were both Demon Slayer got big so I don't think there's any relation.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Just remembered he gave Kimetsu a positive review too.
It's really nice new authors get comments and recommendations from such huge mangaka as Osamu. Still, it's really crazy to me that Shiro Usazaki in a span of 2 years has gone from doing Twitter fanart to being recommended by such a huge author. I really want to look forward her future works after Act-Age ends, and if she keeps being paired with Matsuki, the better.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of Bozebeats, I hope the mangaka returns to Jump eventually. Maybe paired with a writer next time.

Bozebeats had really, really good art, IIRC.

Edit: Guys, stop quoting this post to tell me he's working on a Fate series. I already know, my comment was for him to RETURN to WSJ, not what he's currently working on.
 
Last edited:

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
If Horikoshi has good taste, he's definitely a fan. :P

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he's friends with Fujimoto as well. I love little easter eggs like this. Reminds me of that time Shimabu added a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt on one of the bystanders in Toriko.
Naw Fuji and Hori are definitely not friends lol. Both of them are already highly eccentric in ways that don't mesh well with people, I doubt multiplying that together would lead to social interactions between them
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Naw Fuji and Hori are definitely not friends lol. Both of them are already highly eccentric in ways that don't mesh well with people, I doubt multiplying that together would lead to social interactions between them
How do you know Fujimoto is eccentric? Yeah, his series are, that doesn't necessarily mean he himself is.

In fact, is there any pictures/video of Fujimoto?
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
How do you know Fujimoto is eccentric? Yeah, his series are, that doesn't necessarily mean he himself is.

In fact, is there any pictures/video of Fujimoto?
A certain interview portrays him in a certain light. Plus circumstantial info you pick up from various media.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Geez, People often call girls/women fans of battle shonen fujos, like women couldn't appreciate fights, character development, plot without shipper googles.
That's not mutually exclusive though. You can be a fujoshi/shipper and still appreciate those aspects of a series.

I mean some are mainly for shipping but thats minority.
LOL
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A certain interview portrays him in a certain light. Plus circumstantial info you pick up from various media.
Your basic premise was that highly eccentric people don't mesh well with other people. In other words, highly eccentric people don't have friends.

Humans require human interaction, otherwise they'd start talking to volleyballs like Tom Hanks in Castaway. We need human relationships.

Saying they have no friends is a generalization.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
It would've been nice to see Shimabu give JJK a recommendation since Akutami is a big fan of Takeshi. Shimabu could make some new friends lol. I wonder if Shimabu will ever give a recommendation in general.

Also I noticed not many are interested in Shimabu returning which is fair enough if that's the case. I do wonder how many people here haven't read Toriko? Or dropped it? I also understand that you can only vote for one option but I feel like a lot of people here haven't read Toriko or dropped it.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It would've been nice to see Shimabu give JJK a recommendation since Akutami is a big fan of Takeshi. Shimabu could make some new friends lol. I wonder if Shimabu will ever give a recommendation in general.

Also I noticed not many are interested in Shimabu returning which is fair enough if that's the case. I do wonder how many people here haven't read Toriko? Or dropped it? I also understand that you can only vote for one option but I feel like a lot of people here haven't read Toriko or dropped it.
I think it's more that the other options are more enticing, not that Shimabu returning isn't desirable.

Assuming he did return, the news would be positively received here, no doubt.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,499
Reaction score
39,537
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It would've been nice to see Shimabu give JJK a recommendation since Akutami is a big fan of Takeshi. Shimabu could make some new friends lol. I wonder if Shimabu will ever give a recommendation in general.

Also I noticed not many are interested in Shimabu returning which is fair enough if that's the case. I do wonder how many people here haven't read Toriko? Or dropped it? I also understand that you can only vote for one option but I feel like a lot of people here haven't read Toriko or dropped it.
Toriko is a very hyped and praised series in this forum, so i don't know how you got the feeling most here didn't read or dropped the series.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Speaking of Bozebeats, I hope the mangaka returns. Maybe paired with a writer next time.

Bozebeats had really, really good art, IIRC.
Or just improve his writing like every other author that failed before
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Or just improve his writing like every other author that failed before
Either would be fine. I just like writers being paired with mangaka, since it lessens their workload.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I believe the third series was Ziga, which was dark but it was with kaiju instead of demons. Was definitely the most forgettable of the three.
What's interesting is the series was based on a one-shot from Yoko. Many people think one of his assistants drew it and he wrote it under a pen name.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,499
Reaction score
39,537
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What's interesting is the series was based on a one-shot from Yoko. Many people think one of his assistants drew it and he wrote it under a pen name.
It was pretty much him, he was not only promoting the manga on his twitter but also never mentioned Sano Rokuro name in his tweets, only talking about his long time assistant publishing a series
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
Western fanbases are whiny. A lot of current readers get into a series after having watched the anime for a bit. So they automatically start comparing the pacing of one series to the anime and to another manga that they know which has "better pacing".
What they probably wouldn't realize is that the pacing of that particular series has remained consistent throughout in the manga for years.

Same reason people liked to complain about a series using big panels and not progressing the story too much per chapter or like how Bleach fans whined incredibly about the fact that Kubo usually used the first two pages as a sort of recap of how the previous chapter ended.
Its like how reddit works. If whining about something is the trend, people will just nod their heads and jump in. If praising something is the trend, that's what people will do. Bandwagoning, basically.

I doubt the japanese themselves care much about how much the story progresses and rather about how well its done. Japanese adore Oda and they are well aware of the fact that he got hospitalized and why he has to take breaks.
So if the series is declining in sales, its probably cause the content in Wano Arc just wasn't good enough.
Good take. I agree that the west complains more, but that doesn't mean that the Japanese can't feel the same way. There is often some correlation with western and Japanese fanbase. Bleach declined similarily in the west and MHA looks to be going in the same direction. Most of the popular series in the west are the same series that are popular in Japan.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top