Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,490
Reaction score
39,517
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, this week was *really* low in voter turnout.

Also, I did notice something in regards to the ineligible voters, but since their votes are being discarded anyway, it's not really worth mentioning.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,490
Reaction score
39,517
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Seeing how well Undead Unluck and Mashle were ranked, very curious to see Guardian of the Witch with all this hype.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Seeing how well Undead Unluck and Mashle were ranked, very curious to see Guardian of the Witch with all this hype.
I'm definitely guessing it'll end up ranking in the top 5. It gives off the vibes as trying to follow in Neverland's footsteps, even down to having amazing color pages. Even if it ends up being incredibly controversial for some reason, I think it'll still get top 5 treatment. Mashle I'm guessing will slip into the middle region and I think Undead Unluck will typically find itself in the middle. I'm glad Agravity finally wound up in the red since I was starting to think I was the only one getting annoyed that nothing really seems to happen in each chapter. I wouldn't mind it moving up again if something interesting and remotely sci-fi ever happened.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Yeah, this week was *really* low in voter turnout.

Also, I did notice something in regards to the ineligible voters, but since their votes are being discarded anyway, it's not really worth mentioning.
If you find them not worth mentioning, why bother to toy with our curiosity in the first place.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If you find them not worth mentioning, why bother to toy with our curiosity in the first place.
Because like I said, we're already acting on it. There's nothing more that can be done.

Previously I stated that I wasn't certain if the vote-stuffing was coincidental or coordinated. When I counted the votes this week, in regards to the discarded votes, I DID notice a trend that's making me believe that it might be coordinated.

Essentially, I noticed that there's a group of ineligible voters that vote in the same order, around the same time. Almost as if they're switching between accounts and casting votes, in a specific order.

Again though, their votes are already being discarded. The only thing I can do is keep an eye on similar behavior. Plus, they'll likely change their voting behavior after reading this.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
All those votes for Mashle. Guess I'm gonna have to read that first chapter now.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Because like I said, we're already acting on it. There's nothing more that can be done.

Previously I stated that I wasn't certain if the vote-stuffing was coincidental or coordinated. When I counted the votes this week, in regards to the discarded votes, I DID notice a trend that's making me believe that it might be coordinated.

Essentially, I noticed that there's a group of ineligible voters that vote in the same order, around the same time. Almost as if they're switching between accounts and casting votes, in a specific order.

Again though, their votes are already being discarded. The only thing I can do is keep an eye on similar behavior. Plus, they'll likely change their voting behavior after reading this.
The extent some fans go to is actually insane.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The extent some fans go to is actually insane.
It's kind of flattering in a weird way. Going through all that trouble for an inconsequential poll on an obscure (well, in comparison to other bigger websites) website.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
MANGAHELPERS POLL ISSUE #9 (2020) - VOTING RESULTS

1. Act-Age 98 - 18 Votes
2. Mashle 1 (New Series) - 18 Votes
3. My Hero Academia 258 - 17 Votes
4. Kimetsu no Yaiba 191 - 16 Votes

5. Mitama Secureity 21 - 15 Votes
6. One Piece 969 - 13 Votes
7. Jujutsu Kaisen 92 - 13 Votes
8. Haikyuu!! 381 - 12 Votes
9. Chainsaw Man 55 - 12 Votes
10. Undead Unluck 2 - 12 Votes
11. We Never Learn 144 - 10 Votes
12. The Promised Neverland 165 - 9 Votes
13. Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru 35 - 8 Votes
14. Dr. Stone 136 - 7 Votes
15. Agravity Boys 6 - 5 Votes

16. Mission: Yozakura Family 21 - 4 Votes
17. Black Clover 237 - 3 Votes
18. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 192 - 2 Votes

19. ZIPMAN!! 7 - 2 Votes

Notes:

-48 Voters (21 excluded)
-Tied mangas decided by which is older


VOTING RESULTS (INCLUDING THE DISCOUNTED VOTES)​

1. Mashle 1 (New Series) - 28 Votes
2. Kimetsu no Yaiba 191 - 26 Votes
3. My Hero Academia 258 - 24 Votes
4. Act-Age 98 - 23 Votes

5. Mitama Secureity 21 - 22 Votes
6. One Piece 969 - 20 Votes
7. Haikyuu!! 381 - 19 Votes
8. Jujutsu Kaisen 92 - 19 Votes
9. Undead Unluck 2 - 18 Votes
10. The Promised Neverland 165 - 15 Votes
11. Dr. Stone 136 - 15 Votes
12. Chainsaw Man 55 - 15 Votes
13. We Never Learn 144 - 13 Votes
14. Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru 35 - 9 Votes
15. Agravity Boys 6 - 9 Votes

16. Black Clover 237 - 6 Votes
17. Mission: Yozakura Family 21 - 6 Votes
18. ZIPMAN!! 7 - 4 Votes

19. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 192 - 2 Votes

Obs: The results including the discounted votes will only be posted here, not in the official thread
Mashle at #2, goddamn. Did not expect people to like it so much! The art could be better (or at least more polished) and the jokes could use some more variety (or at least do a better job at repeating), but there were parts that I did find pretty entertaining and I'm interested to see what'll happen in magic school.

Undead Unluck's in the middle, eh? Kind of fitting, honestly, considering the debates around it. Meanwhile, Agravity, Yozakura, and ZIPMAN are all bottom 5, with the latter hitting bottom of the rankings. Better hope Miitama Security gets enough sales to survive - it's color page bode well for it.

Very curious to see where Witch's Guardian ranks next week.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Very curious to see where Witch's Guardian ranks next week.
All the new series have been doing pretty well.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Wow, I guess Im in minority that didnt like the Kimetsu chapter that much. The final pages were pretty disappointing. This is the issue with making a final villain too powerful...

The fight with Kokushibou will be the best fight in the series for me.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,490
Reaction score
39,517
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Wow, I guess Im in minority that didnt like the Kimetsu chapter that much. The final pages were pretty disappointing. This is the issue with making a final villain too powerful...
I didn't disliked but the whole chapter was for sure pure "battle shounen" textbook, Gotouge going full cliche.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Still surprised Mashle was so well liked.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Dunno if this was posted before. I'm starting to think that Death note could have been extended by adding different protags in different circumstances.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, honestly, Kimetsu has been pretty underwhelming for me for a while now. The last two fights were very disappointing, and it isn't like what came before it was amazing or anything.

Mashle getting that many votes honestly surprised me, and I didn't even dislike the chapter.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,490
Reaction score
39,517
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Meanwhile, Agravity, Yozakura, and ZIPMAN are all bottom 5, with the latter hitting bottom of the rankings.
Zipman really flopped in the polls, only the first chapter did well, the rest were all in the bottom, while Agravity Boys that started with zero hype managed to have the first 4 chapters in the middle only dropping last issue.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Put me on the camp of also surprised by the reception of Mashle here. I quite liked the chapter and while I saw that others did as well, I didn't imagine it in that position.

And only a few hours for Guardian of the Witch.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Wanted to reply to this yesterday but I got SUPERRRR (Franky style) lazy...

It's more like series get popular in the west BECAUSE they are already super popular in Japan.
Western audience tend to not jump on a series unless its well known in Japan. JK isn't that popular in the west but watch that change when it gets the anime and starts selling 600k. The western audience will start jumping on that bandwagon.

Off topic but Kingdom was WYJ's premier series since almost the very start. WYJ always promoted it as their biggest and most important series. But western audience didn't care really because it didn't sell all that much. But now the series name is pretty well known in the west solely because of the fact that it sells almost a million a volume and jumping on that bandwagon is the cool thing to do.

The western audience for the most part only jump onto a series if its super popular. This doesn't apply to all readers obviously and there are some exceptions to series. There are many who branch out and try their own stuff.
But the majority in the west follow a series that becomes a mainstream success in Japan.
I think that the west just follow the series that get anime. Here, anime is more well regarded and popular than manga since ever, to the point where things that are artstyle, stories, tropes, genres and even demography of manga are associated with anime more, even though it didn't create any of it.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I think that the west just follow the series that get anime. Here, anime is more well regarded and popular than manga since ever, to the point where things that are artstyle, stories, tropes, genres and even demography of manga are associated with anime more, even though it didn't create any of it.
I blame YouTube. There is a dearth of good, high-quality material covering manga on the platform.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Another question, do you guys think we need another huge-scale adventure manga like One Piece or Toriko?
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ogino Ken ''Lady Justice'' is now fully translated:

I always wanted to read it. That translation on the first chapter is terrible but I liked the series. Really wish it came in a better time.

It's really amazing how so many series could be successful depending on the time they come. Many cancelled series for sure would be on WSJ for years if they came in the last years.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Another question, do you guys think we need another huge-scale adventure manga like One Piece or Toriko?
Well, you already know my answer to this, but yes. Absolutely, 100%, yes.

I think we need a really interesting premise, though. Sailing around the seas and hunting animals/ingredients is good, but for the next big adventure to succeed, it'll need something... more.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Mashle votes and being first MH poll wise is interesting...since it's going to be a sharp difference in it's placement here and the Twitter Jap poll following how it was going recently.

Happy to see Lady Justice completed in scans, even though I never liked the story nor art itself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top