Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,383
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm honestly really shocked to see that. I thought that Jujutsu would have more of an audience here.
Jujutsu is a series I really can't follow weekly, don't really know why, but I lose the plot way too fast. I need to give another shot someday, because I see a lot of stuff I enjoy in it, but the act of reading just didn't do it for me, and I tried twice already.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm honestly really shocked to see that. I thought that Jujutsu would have more of an audience here.
Probably would blame translations that rarely took place
 

lobito180

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Messages
45
Reaction score
22
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
The first part of Guardian of the Witch felt kind like a rip-off of Attack on Titan, but I liked it overall. The art is really nice.

So far, I rank the new series like this Mashle>Undead>Guardian.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Nezuko, I will find a way to turn you human again! There has to be a way to turn a Witch Oni human again!
Kek

The fact that they're going to be outlaws could be cool though, but seems a bit hard to pull off especially for a newbie
 

Pudazuka

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2020
Messages
62
Reaction score
163
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
first of all welcome to MH,
Thanks, I've been looking for a forum that discusses Weekly Shounen Jump TOC for a while now. It's good to be here.

the latest chapter as a continuation of the current ongoing arc which was not build up probably and therefore people weren't as invested
cool action scenes no doubt but there are very little meaning behind it as neither the world the characters and the conflict were fleshed out
Yeah, that's true. There wasn't any build-up and no developments, just cool action scenes. Still, for me the action was enough and I think you don't have to flesh out characters/plot in every chapter.

Anyway, let's see what the latest chapter has in store for us.

the Japanese toc is based on chapters from 7 weeks ago
Oops, I always forget about this. Thanks for the reminder.

Guess I'll read the new issue now.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I want to be optimistic about Guardian of the Witch. Is the type of manga that I really love. Adventure manga with Pandora Hearts (and Claymore) vibes. But then I remember Double Arts and Golem Hearts fate. PLEASE SURVIVE.

In other topic, amazing Black Clover and Kimetsu chapters.
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
That new Guardian of the Witch had a pretty good beginning. It didn't blow me away, but it's a solid foundation. Good to finally have a more serious new manga in the magazine as well, this heavy influx of wacky comedy series became a bit annoying to me.

Easily my favorite new series of the last 2 rounds so far, besides ZIPMAN. Obviously it does strongly hinges on how it moves forward, though.

Mashle was mildly amusing. I can see it working but all the jokes are still so damn predictable that I might drop it anyway.
UU continues to be an obnoxious mix of extremely uninspired and annoying. Pass.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Witch Guardian was alright. Felt like a pretty normal chapter 1, with most of it being introducing characters and setting up the lore and the world. Evils reminded me of Nanatsu no Taizai monsters. I really like how they're handling this UN organization in UxU, the fact that they're killing members to get themselves into the group is a nice take on the bad guy organization trope. Mashle was funny, but it felt even more like OPM than the first chapter did. Not like that's a bad thing, but it felt like I heard the jokes already. I liked the gags at the begining of Agravity, and the mystery of the invader looks interesting. Zipman again had cool action, but I really can't bring myself to care about the main duo or the bad guys. Mitama had a great chapter, I look forward to seeing the Salmon again. Yozakura was about what I'd expect. I liked the set up, but introducing another group of baddies while ignoring the rest of the established cast doesn't do it any favors.

Haikyuu, Dr Stone, Black Clover and even Sam8 all had great chapters this week. I like the usage of video game stats in Sam8 to show progression
 

NyanPower

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
360
Reaction score
773
Age
25
Country
Italy
As expected I really liked the first chapter.
I love the setting, the art and the characters. Not too impressed by those “evils”, they looks so pain.

It was cute when Fanfner said he was no guardian of a witch, but Manasfa’s guardian. Also the maid lol, I like her.
Those last pages were very effective with the right words. The whole “I’ll turn you back into a human” has some Kimetsu no Yaiba vibes, while the wall and stuff had Shingeki no Kyojin vibes.

Kinda want to see how this journey turns out to be.
Nezuko, I will find a way to turn you human again! There has to be a way to turn a Witch Oni human again!
I mean, we can’t blame the mangaka for being influenced by something bigger and successful
 
Last edited:

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
I'm enjoying Mashle the most out of the new bunch. Despite feeling a bit amateurish, it sort of reminds me of the good stuff from another manga called Helck.

Witch guardian's first chapter was standard stuff. Nothing really stood out.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,438
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
Guardian of the Witch was alright, not blown away but solid. Mashle was fine again, Undead Unluck has its first chapter I’d say o actually liked. Zipman is still boring to me, Agravity still cracks me up. Mitama good as normal. I liked the new Yozakura chapter, though having a chapter about undercover seemed like the perfect time to bring Kengo back again but welp.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Mashle not feeling it with the Japanese audience? We eating good tonight lads
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Damn, Zipman. This is the kind of first arc that gets a series cancelled...
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I’m probably in the minority, but I enjoyed Zipman and Agravity Boys a lot more than these 3 new series.

A mecha series is something we hardly see in the magazine. So Zipman felt/feels refreshing.

Agravity Boys is just funny, and again, Space series isn’t really something we see in the magazine often.

Won’t bring up Undead Unluck controversy again, but I can’t bring myself to like it for those reason.

Mascle is just waaaaay too ONE. In art and in how it’s written. It just feels like the creator doesn’t have an identity of his own based on this series.

Guardian of the Witch is just so bland to me. I don’t dislike it or think it’s awful. Just bland.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Witch Guardian's first chapter wasn't mind blowing, but it shows promise. I'll go wait and see.

I enjoyed MASHLE's second chapter more than the first.

UxU is starting to grow on me. I actually really enjoyed it. Land of Vodka, here we come..

Mitama was very punny this time, jan k'now? I pray for the Volume 1 sales.

Chainsaw suprisingly had a lot of cute moments.

Agravity was good. The censorship gags are my favorite in the series so far.

Next Yuuna chapter will murder me.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Japanese Twitter poll results for Issue 9

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. Act Age
3. Agravity Boys
4. Haikyuu
5. Dr.Stone
6. Jujutsu Kaisen
7. One Piece
8. My Hero Academia
9. Undead Unluck
10. We Never Learn
11. Chainsaw Man
12. The Promised Neverland
13. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
14. Mitama Security
15. Mashle (NEW)
16. Samurai 8
17. Black Clover
18. Mission Yozakura Family
19. Zipman
Mitama that low and Agravity that high? I'm going to have to reject that poll since last week's chapter of Mitama was pure brilliance.

As for this week's chapters, wasn't too impressed with anything about Guardian of the Witch besides the art (specifically the color pages). I wasn't really expecting to enjoy it as much as some of the other gag series, but the first chapter just felt very "by the books" if that makes any sense? It seemed like your pretty standard setup for an adventure series, and the chapter basically went through a checklist and marked off each thing that normally happens in this type of series. That said, at least it seems to have avoided the pitfall that got Saiyuki of taking too long to get to the actual adventure. Maybe it could've expanded another chapter, but there's a lot of exposition-type details that could easily be covered while they start the adventure if the author so desires.

Something finally happened in Agravity Boys, kind of. Some of the first half of the chapter could've been trimmed down and still had the same effect, which could've allowed for more to happen this chapter though. Yozakura had a nice twist, but I'm not sure if it was necessarily a "your series is getting axed in x chapters" type of move. Mashle was decently funny, but you can definitely tell this author is a total newbie both by the art and some of the dialogue. That girl's introduction felt shoehorned in there, and her motivation was vaguely glossed over. This series maybe feels more like a series that'd have a better shot at lasting if it would've been on Jump+ instead of the main magazine.

Mitama might have just had its greatest chapter ever. I've been waiting for this guy's return, and it actually managed to exceed my expectations in every way. Glad to see Zobiro's doing well, and those Salmon jokes were hilarious. I wasn't even expecting that result at the end of the chapter, but I'm really glad the author is taking it in that direction. The next time they show the detective wannabe classmate, he's going to have a field day rationalizing all of these suspicious followers lol.

Undead also had another good chapter with superb pacing. By the end of chapter 3, the author in my mind has successfully done all of the following: introduced the main characters along with their current problems and primary future motivations, started expanding the supporting cast, introduced the main villain/primary antagonist, set the foundation to achieve the long-term goal and a few short/medium term goals along the way, and laid the map for adventures in interesting places. Other hopeful authors should be taking notes on how to plot out their series and introduce their characters using this series as an example. Regardless of whether you like what the author is laying out, it's pretty hard to deny that he's laying out his vision pretty efficiently without wasting pages or panels.

New series ranking:

Mitama >>>> Undead >> Yozakura > Mashle >> Agravity > Witch >>> Samurai 8 = Zipman

This week's top 5:

1. We Never Learn - Best girl chapter. I love their dynamic and history so much.
2. Mitama Security - For all of the above points.
3. Act-Age - Very curious to see what Team B has up their sleeves.
4. Undead Unluck - For all the above points.
5. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san - Very heartfelt chapter with a lot of relevance to the series' main plot
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I like the setting and adventure plans for Witch's Guardian but yeah, I'd have to agree the execution was rather bland. Of the 3, it's the one I feel like has the best long-term potential and I've been wanting a new fantasy adventure manga but I'll need to see signs of it living up to that potential first.

Comparing the ch 1s of the recent 5 series, I'd probably rank them

Mashle > Agravity Boys > Undead Unluck > Witch's Guardian > Zipman

I love the recent gag manga wsj has had so those two are my top, and while I like Witch's Guardian setting more Undead established it's main two and ideas a lot better, and it had pretty creative use of powers while Witch's action was just a couple quick pages of basic fight panels.

Zipman from the start struck me somewhat as the new ne0/Shinobi Squad, a series that feels very jump but without much of it's own identity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top