Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,383
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
Guardian of the Witch felt average to me. Still enjoying Mashle, which is definitely my favorite of the 5 new series.

Mashle > Zipman > GotW >> Agravity = UxU
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ordering the five new series I guess I would go GotW > Mashle > Agravity > Zipman > Undead, but really, GotW was the only one I really liked.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh, but if we count Mitama and Yozakura, Mitama is definitely ahead of them all.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
when agravity boys were about to debut, I remember that many people considered him bad since the synopsis.
And now, there is a real possibility that he is succeeding.
I think that the people who are criticizing the first chapter of witch should wait a bit before throwing stones.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Mitama and Yozakura have been around for long enough now that their fates are pretty established I think, they're not fresh new series any more.

Chances are Yozakura will get cancelled in the next round if it can't pick up (and doesn't sell weirdly high), while Mitama's now got some longer-term plans from Shueisha going on and will most likely make it past the 1st year mark. After that who knows, but I think wsj will give it at least that long now if it's getting a whole fan interaction campaign going on (especially since they're desperate for a new gag manga to stick around).
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Mitama and Yozakura have been around for long enough now that their fates are pretty established I think, they're not fresh new series any more.

Chances are Yozakura will get cancelled in the next round if it can't pick up (and doesn't sell weirdly high), while Mitama's now got some longer-term plans from Shueisha going on and will most likely make it past the 1st year mark. After that who knows, but I think wsj will give it at least that long now if it's getting a whole fan interaction campaign going on (especially since they're desperate for a new gag manga to stick around).
Eh, not sure about that. They didn't even have their first volumes released yet, which will happen this week. (that's actually kinda weird, though, took more than usual for it to happen, don't know why). Maybe things will change considering their results.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Mitamaaaaaaa

UxU has more neat subversion and the author really knows how to make readers anticipate the next chapter. Pretty entertaining and surprisingly has a decent amount of world building after three chapters. It’s tied with Agravity for being the best of the 5 new series imo. If the series doesn’t catch on moving forward, hope the author comes back.

Witch Guardian was a very promising first chapter. It didn’t have to be very good, but it was at a solid level just to get to know the characters. The plot was properly set and we have our goal! Hoping the adventure expands on the setting and characters while getting better. Art was cool.
 

BRTK

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 11, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
31
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
Guardian of the Witch's first chapter was really bland, didn't like it at all. Doesn't really feel like a 'new' story, just a rehash of already existing one's (which may still evolve into something nice - just like Black Clover). Even MC's design is bland as hell. MASHLE's chapter was much better than the first one, I chuckled a few times. Undead's 3rd chapter was amazing IMO. Definitly my favourite debut since Chainsawman and I already can't wait for the next chapter.

I'm dropping Agravity. It's not terrible or something but it's just plain boring for me. Same with Zipman but I'll stick with it at least until the end of this arc.

Mitama was funny once again, Yozakura was meh. MHA and BC had their best chapters in a while, pretty good stuff.

My top 5 for this week would be:
1. HQ
2. Undead
3. Chainsawman
4. MHA
5. Black Clover
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I want to be optimistic about Guardian of the Witch. Is the type of manga that I really love. Adventure manga with Pandora Hearts (and Claymore) vibes. But then I remember Double Arts and Golem Hearts fate. PLEASE SURVIVE.

In other topic, amazing Black Clover and Kimetsu chapters.
I thought I was the only one who saw similarities with PH lol. (dunno about claymore, I haven't read it)
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
GotW was... okay. Not quite as good as I was hoping it would be, though.

Also, add me to the group that was pleasantly surprised with S8 this week. Maybe it was the similarities to video games, but I definitely enjoyed it more than I usually do.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
PH, Snk, KnY and BC vibes in WG lol. I liked its first chapter but it didn't exceeded expectations. Let's how the dynamic goes between the two.

Since this manga was hyped up so much, did it meet your expectations?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
i like mashle so far but i am wondering how much straight man the protagonist can play until it becomes dull
 

void data

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
28
Country
Indonesia
Mitama should shell out more pun chapter. Though they totally need to dock more pay to the translator. Salmon is a future recurring character for shore.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Mitama should shell out more pun chapter. Though they totally need to dock more pay to the translator. Salmon is a future recurring character for shore.
I'm not sure who I have to pay to have a chapter where the Salmon ends up having a pointy horn haircut like this, but I'd really love to see this referenced from Samon; Salmon-kun wa Summoner.
.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Guardian of the Witch had an alright 1s chapter, it had good character interactions, a solid art and explained all it needed right away, but it did feel like a SNK/KNY hybrid and the action was pretty bland. There's room for improvement on the long run, but I'm not really feeling it right now. Mashle is my favourite out of the 5 new series by far, the first 2 chapters were pure joy. Zipman is just mid, while Agravity and UxU are not my thing at all. Mitama made crack a lot of laughs this week, I loved it. I would have loved this week's BC chapter more and it would be one of my faves if I didn't feel like Tabata will probably revert this situation. The only thing I liked about S8 this week was the revelation towards this end, but those skills do seem cool.

I'm kinda disappointed that Zipman is ranking so low. I thought the latest chapter was quite enjoyable, but seems like I'm in the minority there? Well, at least it placed in the middle of the official Jump-ranking, so the japanese audience probably liked it better.
Welcome, also bless you for your Haiji icon, always great to meet someone who likes Kazetsuyo.
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Mashle improved a lot and I feel like it has already found its own identity, at least if it keeps focusing on the simple minded, brute force aspect of the character. Though the HP ripoff is getting even more blatant, but its shamelessness about it is kinda charming, i guess even the chapter title convention will keep leaning into it.

To me UxU is by far the best new series since CSM. However Andy's change into an almost romantic (but still goal oriented and self serving) gentleman in this chapter was a little too sudden and unnatural to me, and makes me question why the author went so far with the sleaziness before. I guess for the sake of comedy and a stronger impression, but I think that backfired a little considering how many it turned off here (although thats not necessarily representative of Jump customers). Either way, if that was your problem with the it, I urge you to give it another shot.
 

Radagast92

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
117
Reaction score
269
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I had a lot of expectations for Guardian of the Witch. The setting was good, but something about the pace and the art was off. But I will surely read it for 3 or 4 chapters more. Instead, Mashle and Agravity Boys surprised me and are probably the better of this 5-series-batch.
For me Mashle > Agravity Boys > Guardian of the Witch > Undead Unluck > Zipman
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
I’m probably in the minority, but I enjoyed Zipman and Agravity Boys a lot more than these 3 new series.

A mecha series is something we hardly see in the magazine. So Zipman felt/feels refreshing.

Agravity Boys is just funny, and again, Space series isn’t really something we see in the magazine often.

Won’t bring up Undead Unluck controversy again, but I can’t bring myself to like it for those reason.

Mascle is just waaaaay too ONE. In art and in how it’s written. It just feels like the creator doesn’t have an identity of his own based on this series.

Guardian of the Witch is just so bland to me. I don’t dislike it or think it’s awful. Just bland.
I sorta agree with you.
Although I think Guardian first chapter was better than Zipman(it feels bland) is nothing special, and I think that in general, Agravity was the best of those 5 series.
Mascle try to hard to be One and fails miserably, is the only of those series that I dropped.
And Undead have an interesting setting and nothing more.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Seeing the reactions to Guardian of the Witch has been interesting. I guess I might’ve been a little too hyped for it? That sucks, though I should’ve expected this. I’ll read it in a bit, though.

In the meantime, We Never Learn has me sweating, MHA has me anxious, and I’m waiting on English Edited Mangas for Yuuna because this chapter looks important.
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
Just got to reading.

Witch Gaurdian had a decent chapter, not good or bad. Felt plain and too similar to other series.
Mashle is also too similar to other series, specifically to One's style. It's very entertaining though.
UU seems to have dropped the "joke" very sudden. It's getting interesting and Andy's power is cool.
Agravity Boys was really funny, but a little forced at times.
Mitama, not it's best, but still entertaining.

Overall Mitama>Agravity Boys>UU>Mashle>Witch Gaurdian<Zipman=yozakura

Jujutsu might be on it's best arc yet. I second that...Jujutsu needs more readers! :zomg:zomg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top