Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,454
Reaction score
39,349
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

taqzer

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
184
Reaction score
181
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Surprised so many people are still enjoying Zipman. Personally felt indifferent to negative about it since chapter 1 and grown to dislike it more as the chapters went on. Dropped it at chapter 5 and even getting that far was hard. Motivation, characters, plot everything but the art was just awkward (for me personally).
I feel the mangaka needs to get a writer and just do the art for any of his future series. I heard his miniseries in GIGA was decent but Yaoekemono was just as awkward writing wise. Never read much of the miniseries I got as far as a World trigger duckface and dropped it there.

UXU, I liked chapter 1 but chapter's 2 and 3 did nothing for me, which is why Im surprised so many people are praising the latest chapters here. Outside of the controversial bits in chapter 1 I thought the first chapter was really good. Emotions were wack at times with regards to the female lead but outside of that chapter 1 was good. Chapters 2 and 3 feel dead in terms of comedy and as a pure battle manga Im not feeling it. Not saying the chapters were bad just that If I were a reader in Japan I wouldn't be voting for the series.

Mashle Im wondering if its thoroughly geared towards the youngest of jumps readers. So im not even looking at that twitter pole as a possible indicator for how the series's popularity is over in Japan. I dont have much faith in it although I've read and enjoyed both released chapters.

Guardian of the witch like others have said feels bland. Art and characters are a strong point though IMO. Two leads characterization so far have been good even though plot feels generic. A few years ago I would have automatically labeled it as axe material but Jump has changed a lot since then. Im looking forward to where the series goes from here.

TOC is going to be real interesting this year. First time in years Im looking forward to really seeing whats gonna happen. Some established series are set to end and the eight new/unsettled manga running together.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Witch guardian was good. Solid. I think this one will stick. Fucking finally. Something that doesn't feel like ace fodder besides UxU. But I know a lot of people here think UxU will be axed.

The recent chapter basically shut down all the arguments we had about it before. The man wasn't gonna bang her if she didnt want to. I don't think the sex jokes will return.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
For Agravity Boys' first ranking, I'd be absolutely floored if it managed to get additional pages and still wind up in the bottom 5 of the TOC. I'm guessing it'll get into the upper middle of the TOC. I really want to enjoy this series since a sci-fi gag has so much potential, but it has yet to deliver. Maybe next week will finally be the week.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
So, now that the lineup is full...is it the right time to ask who you think is getting axed and when or should we wait a bit more? :P
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Surprised so many people are still enjoying Zipman. Personally felt indifferent to negative about it since chapter 1 and grown to dislike it more as the chapters went on. Dropped it at chapter 5 and even getting that far was hard. Motivation, characters, plot everything but the art was just awkward (for me personally).
I feel the mangaka needs to get a writer and just do the art for any of his future series. I heard his miniseries in GIGA was decent but Yaoekemono was just as awkward writing wise. Never read much of the miniseries I got as far as a World trigger duckface and dropped it there.

UXU, I liked chapter 1 but chapter's 2 and 3 did nothing for me, which is why Im surprised so many people are praising the latest chapters here. Outside of the controversial bits in chapter 1 I thought the first chapter was really good. Emotions were wack at times with regards to the female lead but outside of that chapter 1 was good. Chapters 2 and 3 feel dead in terms of comedy and as a pure battle manga Im not feeling it. Not saying the chapters were bad just that If I were a reader in Japan I wouldn't be voting for the series.

Mashle Im wondering if its thoroughly geared towards the youngest of jumps readers. So im not even looking at that twitter pole as a possible indicator for how the series's popularity is over in Japan. I dont have much faith in it although I've read and enjoyed both released chapters.

Guardian of the witch like others have said feels bland. Art and characters are a strong point though IMO. Two leads characterization so far have been good even though plot feels generic. A few years ago I would have automatically labeled it as axe material but Jump has changed a lot since then. Im looking forward to where the series goes from here.

TOC is going to be real interesting this year. First time in years Im looking forward to really seeing whats gonna happen. Some established series are set to end and the eight new/unsettled manga running together.
Guardian of the witch hasn't delivered anything new, but it's not bad. There are many series in the jump making success that only deliver the basics.
It is the fault of those who raised more hype than they should and not the author.
After all, we are not talking about a veteran author who had a popular work, but a new rookie.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Guardian of the witch hasn't delivered anything new, but it's not bad. There are many series in the jump making success that only deliver the basics.
It is the fault of those who raised more hype than they should and not the author.
After all, we are not talking about a veteran author who had a popular work, but a new rookie.
Exactly. I don't think anyone who was disappointed has anyone but themselves to blame. Samurai 8 this is not.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

BTW, are we going to discuss the current MHA controversy...or do we just keep that in the background for now?
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Exactly. I don't think anyone who was disappointed has anyone but themselves to blame. Samurai 8 this is not.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

BTW, are we going to discuss the current MHA controversy...or do we just keep that in the background for now?
Horikoshi should've let the matter alone regardless of what was his intention and that's all I have to say about it really. It was either dumb or malicious.

Don't really care either way personally, though.
 
Last edited:

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Exactly. I don't think anyone who was disappointed has anyone but themselves to blame. Samurai 8 this is not.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

BTW, are we going to discuss the current MHA controversy...or do we just keep that in the background for now?
I think it will be like Tanjirou's earrings controversy. But anyways, Hori will have to clarify this issue sooner or later.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What exactly happened, if someone can clarify?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Guardian of the witch hasn't delivered anything new, but it's not bad. There are many series in the jump making success that only deliver the basics.
It is the fault of those who raised more hype than they should and not the author.
After all, we are not talking about a veteran author who had a popular work, but a new rookie.
I went into the series not expecting anything at all. While I’m always excited for a new series round, unless it’s from a mangaka it duo who’s work I’ve enjoyed in the past, or it’s just has super unique art and/or premise, I generally go into every series unbiased and not expecting much.


For me, while the creator’s art skills are technically very good, the two character designs are pretty basic and generic, and looks like they could be the main characters from any standard A1 Pictures series.
Their personalities don’t really have anything striking or standout.
There was nothing particular interesting or cool about the fight at the end of the chapter, being that they were just mindless puppet henchmen, and not “villains”.
And nothing about the world or the lore makes me feel invested in it.

Black Clover is also a magic/fantasy series, and despite its rocky start and “burrowing” from other series, it felt more unique than this when you compare it’s first chapter.
The artstyle is pretty unique and isn’t just “generic manga art”.
The character designs are very unique and stand out.
And like or hate Asta, from chapter 1, he character is memorable in design and personality from chapter 1.
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
Witch's Guardian was generic but it at least shows promise of potentially getting interesting later on unlike the other 2020 newbies which all feel like they should've been one-shots instead of new series imo
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I went into the series not expecting anything at all. While I’m always excited for a new series round, unless it’s from a mangaka it duo who’s work I’ve enjoyed in the past, or it’s just has super unique art and/or premise, I generally go into every series unbiased and not expecting much.


For me, while the creator’s art skills are technically very good, the two character designs are pretty basic and generic, and looks like they could be the main characters from any standard A1 Pictures series.
Their personalities don’t really have anything striking or standout.
There was nothing particular interesting or cool about the fight at the end of the chapter, being that they were just mindless puppet henchmen, and not “villains”.
And nothing about the world or the lore makes me feel invested in it.

Black Clover is also a magic/fantasy series, and despite its rocky start and “burrowing” from other series, it felt more unique than this when you compare it’s first chapter.
The artstyle is pretty unique and isn’t just “generic manga art”.
The character designs are very unique and stand out.
And like or hate Asta, from chapter 1, he character is memorable in design and personality from chapter 1.
Tanjiro had nothing special in the beginning of kimetsu no yaiba too, and even then the manga became a phenomenon (even thanks to the anime).
Your criticism is the kind of thing that many stories improve over time.

And you talk about Black clover, but remember that in the beginning, the manga was very hated. I know because I was one of the people who always defended Black clover.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Considering that's something specifically related to a character and MHA is past 3 volumes I assume it would go in the series thread then wouldn't it?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Considering that's something specifically related to a character and MHA is past 3 volumes I assume it would go in the series thread then wouldn't it?
It's an outside controversy, though. Nothing related to the story.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Uhm, I don't think it's my place to complain or defend the choice, I really don't have the necessary context here. People more directly affected should be the ones giving their opinions. I hope it's deal with in a satisfactory manner, I just dont know what it would be.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top