Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,457
Reaction score
39,356
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
with WnL near the end, I think they will invest in a Romcom.
Any of you guys got ideas for romcoms that you would like to see next?

Guess I'll dump my idea
We got this high school guy, pretty ordinary fellow. His heart flutters whenever he's close to a girl, but he later finds out that this is actually a cardiac condition that runs in the family. If he gets too close to a female for a long time, he will die. Unfortunatly, his own harem of female classmates start to form. But the thing is that they have no actual feelings for him at all. They consist of:

A girl who is quite literally chasing for his dick after to a false rumor surrounding his size begins to spread.
A girl who was blackmailed into doing so
A girl who is paid to do so
A girl who is curious about relationships
A girl who joins in just to expirience the thrill of competing with others.

With his newfound harem, the guy now has to fight for his life by fighting against his new harem, even if he has to use his fists.
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Any of you guys got ideas for romcoms that you would like to see next?
I’ll use a common r/manga response:
-Just two characters falling in love
-Have some fluff, but make those characters interesting and likable.
-Don’t spend hundreds of chapters reading a relationship only to end on them getting together, go further than that. Have them go through trials and develop their relationship.
 

Pudazuka

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2020
Messages
62
Reaction score
163
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I am probably the only guy who liked the first chapter of mashle more than the second. The first chapter though cliche felt okay. The second chapter on the other hand is too predictable, they should have at fleshed out the tests rather than just say. He somehow managed.
Nah, I totally agree with you. The second chapter was waaay too predictable and the tests just flew by. Imo the labyrinth shoudn't have been the most fleshed out test, since it was obvious how mc would go about it.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,457
Reaction score
39,356
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I’ll use a common r/manga response:
-Just two characters falling in love
-Have some fluff, but make those characters interesting and likable.
-Don’t spend hundreds of chapters reading a relationship only to end on them getting together, go further than that. Have them go through trials and develop their relationship.
Yeah, not going to happen kkkk
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Any of you guys got ideas for romcoms that you would like to see next?
A protagonist that doesn't have the special power to make girls fall in love in him even though he is not attractive, bland and his entire character can be summarized to being nice to them.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I’m not saying that Zipman is a great series or that it’s going to last. I’m simply saying that I thought it was better the Witch’s Guardian.


You’re entitled to your own opinion. You just seem to take issue that I don’t share it at the moment
Ok, you can have the opinion you want, nobody disagrees with that.
The only thing I disagree with is you saying that character design doesn't save manga.
and about the story being "generic", even UxU and MASHLE are generic, after all, we have seen stories of people with powers that are hunted by organizations and of original people living in a society full of people with powers. nowadays most of the stories have been told, it is rare to have something really creative.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Some guesses for the future:
-Is possible that not more serialization rounds until issue 32-33. I'll bet the manga ending would be 1-2 veterans and only 1 axe
-No more gags for now in future serialization rounds
-A romcom or a spokon (or both of them) should appear in next serialization round.
I think Issue 32-33 would be too long and that we'll probably get something sooner than that. After this chapter of We Never Learn, they'd have to do quite a bit of stretching or introduce something pretty unexpected for it to last that much longer. If Yuuna also passes on, it wouldn't surprise me if they do 2 romcoms in the same round.

I’ll use a common r/manga response:
-Just two characters falling in love
-Have some fluff, but make those characters interesting and likable.
-Don’t spend hundreds of chapters reading a relationship only to end on them getting together, go further than that. Have them go through trials and develop their relationship.
I wouldn't mind this, but I'm not sure if this would take off in WSJ. I'd like to see something that honestly feels like a pretty normal high school, where guys and girls can intermingle as peers. Friends date, breakup, stop hanging out, etc, but that feels way out of the league of what WSJ normally goes with. If they do go the harem route with at least 1 of the romcoms again, they need the artist to have top-tier art
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,457
Reaction score
39,356
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Reading this discussion and looking at the poll, some very interesting results so far kkkkk
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Ok, you can have the opinion you want, nobody disagrees with that.
The only thing I disagree with is you saying that character design doesn't save manga.
and about the story being "generic", even UxU and MASHLE are generic, after all, we have seen stories of people with powers that are hunted by organizations and of original people living in a society full of people with powers. nowadays most of the stories have been told, it is rare to have something really creative.
I never said Character design saved a manga.

I’m simply stating my personal opinions on each new series.
I never said that Kimetsu survived because of good character design. That’s just one aspect of the series that attracted me.
And I never said that WG would get aced because of bland character design, nor did I say it would get axed at all
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I never said Character design saved a manga.

I’m simply stating my personal opinions on each new series.
I never said that Kimetsu survived because of good character design. That’s just one aspect of the series that attracted me.
And I never said that WG would get aced because of bland character design, nor did I say it would get axed at all
You didn't say it, but you made that statement clear. So much so that that's why I mentioned zipman.
 

Ottes

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2019
Messages
109
Reaction score
439
Age
24
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I’ll use a common r/manga response:
-Just two characters falling in love
-Have some fluff, but make those characters interesting and likable.
-Don’t spend hundreds of chapters reading a relationship only to end on them getting together, go further than that. Have them go through trials and develop their relationship.
That's pretty similiar to Kaguya, and we probably will never get something like Kaguya in WSJ (Unfortunately...)
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Your post reads like a Google translated response.
I'm fairly certain thats how he replies.

Being one my self. I wouldn't care. If people affected don't care why should everyone else. And it's a pun relating to the doctor its supposed to be clever....
I get the reason why Horikoshi might have wanted to choose that name in relation to the character but Japan was horrible during the world war and were atrocious in many forms and manner. There are many things that were never addressed or acknowledged after the war ended.

If this is something that still stings people just like the holocaust or hitler and nazis or like slavery of African people then it should be changed. If you're not from their race/background, you shouldn't get a say in it irrespective of whether or not you think its fine. Simple.

I initially thought it'd just be some lame controversy because people these days stir shit up unnecessarily but this unfortunately isn't that small or simple.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Yeah, not going to happen kkkk
Let me have hope, damnit! XD

That's pretty similiar to Kaguya, and we probably will never get something like Kaguya in WSJ (Unfortunately...)
Honestly, I wanted to write at the end “In other words, I just want Kaguya-sama. XD”
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm fairly certain thats how he replies.


I get the reason why Horikoshi might have wanted to choose that name in relation to the character but Japan was horrible during the world war and were atrocious in many forms and manner. There are many things that were never addressed or acknowledged after the war ended.

If this is something that still stings people just like the holocaust or hitler and nazis or like slavery of African people then it should be changed. If you're not from their race/background, you shouldn't get a say in it irrespective of whether or not you think its fine. Simple.

I initially thought it'd just be some lame controversy because people these days stir shit up unnecessarily but this unfortunately isn't that small or simple.
Yeah, I doubt Horikoshi really meant any harm, but I do hope he explains himself quickly with that before things get out of hand.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
You didn't say it, but you made that statement clear. So much so that that's why I mentioned zipman.
I should note that I’m not even a fan of Zipman, and dropped it. I was simply just stating which series of the new series had the best first chapters imo
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I’ll use a common r/manga response:
-Just two characters falling in love
-Have some fluff, but make those characters interesting and likable.
-Don’t spend hundreds of chapters reading a relationship only to end on them getting together, go further than that. Have them go through trials and develop their relationship.
I don't really see this happening. Everything romance on WSJ were romcom with multiple interests.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

A protagonist that doesn't have the special power to make girls fall in love in him even though he is not attractive, bland and his entire character can be summarized to being nice to them.
None of the protagonists on WSJ were unattractive lol In fact, two of the current ones are attractive in their own way and they have much more character than most of the others in the past, with their own arcs, objectives, etc.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I don't really see this happening. Everything romance on WSJ were romcom with multiple interests.
that doesn't make their want less likely though.
Tonikaku Kawaii starts with Nasa and Tsubasa's marriage and there's multiple other girls introduced later that fall for him but he doesn't ever care.
Kaguya I'm pretty sure has had other guys at least mention how attractive Kaguya is but she's never wavered from Shirogane.

I'm sure there's other examples if I really cared to think of more but those were just on the top of my head.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
If you're not from their race/background, you shouldn't get a say in it irrespective of whether or not you think its fine. Simple.
That's pretty much what I mean. If someone made a clever racist joke for laughs most of the time it would be funny. Even the people who the jokes are aimed at would laugh. The ones who make the most noise are the ones who aren't even from that race which is really annoying. People are so sensitive now. Shows like Mind your language can't exist in today's day and age now.

Although after read your comment and supercows I had a other thought about it... I guess too be honest I can kind of see why a name that calls back to something disgusting like human experiments in WW2 would best not be used.

I just really thought about it and realised if a character had a name that was referencing the slave trade it probably wouldn't sit right with me. But I'm black. So that's different..... I think. I get what you guys mean though

Yeah it's kinda wrong, but some of the shit I saw on twitter is ridiculous 🤦🏾‍♂️ And I bet they aren't even Japanese or where affected by this in anyway. Some people are acting like Horikoshi js just a rotten person now. It's quite unfair :'(


Oooh sorry I have probably dragged this conversation long enough now
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top