Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,378
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I should note that I’m not even a fan of Zipman, and dropped it. I was simply just stating which series of the new series had the best first chapters imo
I didn't say you were a zipman fan, I just used you as an example. How could I have used any other manga, even one that has been canceled.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
that doesn't make their want less likely though.
Tonikaku Kawaii starts with Nasa and Tsubasa's marriage and there's multiple other girls introduced later that fall for him but he doesn't ever care.
Kaguya I'm pretty sure has had other guys at least mention how attractive Kaguya is but she's never wavered from Shirogane.

I'm sure there's other examples if I really cared to think of more but those were just on the top of my head.
Not sure what's your point but none of that are on Shonen Jump. I know all of the examples that you said and probably most of the others that can be mentioned, romcom is my favorite genre after all., but my argument isn't that only harem exists out there, just that in WSJ that's how it is Thing is, on WSJ with how it's going for 30 years, all of the romcom there were harem as far as I remember. There was cases like I"s where the main girl was clear with Junpei loving her since the beginning but still was a harem with 2 more interests outside of her.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't really see this happening. Everything romance on WSJ were romcom with multiple interests.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Magico's about a decade old at this point but it does actually fill all of Koni's criteria, and it ran in WSJ.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Not sure what's your point but none of that are on Shonen Jump. I know all of the examples that you said and probably most of the others that can be mentioned, romcom is my favorite genre after all., but my argument isn't that only harem exists out there, just that in WSJ that's how it is Thing is, on WSJ with how it's going for 30 years, all of the romcom there were harem as far as I remember. There was cases like I"s where the main girl was clear with Junpei loving her since the beginning but still was a harem with 2 more interests outside of her.
I'm saying they're series with 2 characters in love but still having multiple love interests. You said there wouldn't be a series in WSJ without multiple love interests to say the having 2 characters in love was unlikely but I showed it's possible.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm saying they're series with 2 characters in love but still having multiple love interests. You said there wouldn't be a series in WSJ without multiple love interests to say the having 2 characters in love was unlikely but I showed it's possible.
Ehh, Kaguya-sama never had a clear interest for either Kaguya or Shirogane, while with Tonikaku Kawai, the couple are together since the very beginning, and married at that.

Magico's about a decade old at this point but it does actually fill all of Koni's criteria, and it ran in WSJ.
I wouldn't call Magico a romcom.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Not sure what's your point but none of that are on Shonen Jump. I know all of the examples that you said and probably most of the others that can be mentioned, romcom is my favorite genre after all., but my argument isn't that only harem exists out there, just that in WSJ that's how it is Thing is, on WSJ with how it's going for 30 years, all of the romcom there were harem as far as I remember. There was cases like I"s where the main girl was clear with Junpei loving her since the beginning but still was a harem with 2 more interests outside of her.
Junpei was Ichigo 100%'s MC. The MC of I"s was Ichitaka Seto.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Only small thing I really didn’t like about Guardian was the characters’ names.

And the:
“Oh yeah, my family was suddenly killed right in front of me.”
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, this already places it ahead of Stone and WNL with 4 and 5 volumes less, respectively, and almost beating Yuuna. If it gets a nice boost with the anime, it should surpass BC soon.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Junpei was Ichigo 100%'s MC. The MC of I"s was Ichitaka Seto.
lmao true. Thanks for the correction. Idk Since you mentioned Ichigo 100%, I even forgot that there was more than the two girls so I was going to reconsider my position on it but then I saw that it's still a harem as there's more two girls. lol
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm a sucker for love triangles, so anything that maintains that kind of setting would be cool with me. Heck, I'd be cool with a love rectangle too as long as the story doesn't exceed more than 3 girls for the MC. Maybe have some other male/female characters that have their own love interest to coincide with the MC and his love woes. Stuff like ToraDora, Kaguya, Kimi ni Todoke, etc. basically. I'm fine with something fluffy that focuses on one or two couples too. As long as it's not another harem, I'll be happy honestly.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Seriously? You have no cultural understanding of the connotations of that word. Like I already gave an example with the n word, I'm sure the outrage would be huge here in our culture. Just because some Twitter fanatics went bonkers doesn't mean Hori didn't do something stupid. Which is fine, the question is will be change what he did.

Similarish situation in Gintama where a villain group shared a name with a minor Japanese religion and they changed the name.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Literally how mate. I'm a bit sassy from being sleep deprived but here we go. Boring MC. SAVE ME girl. Evil smiley dude who despite raising witches from childhood doesn't raise witch slayers from childhood and instead tells some dude out of the blue to do it. And AFTER letting him build a bond with her. Stupid city design. Nothing outside the walls, or next story elements have been introduced. I must turn her back to a human. Gosh I wonder if he'll succeed. Boring square and rectangle panels everywhere. K gonna sleep
Well, I can only say what I felt. lol
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I'm a sucker for love triangles, so anything that maintains that kind of setting would be cool with me. Heck, I'd be cool with a love rectangle too as long as the story doesn't exceed more than 3 girls for the MC. Maybe have some other male/female characters that have their own love interest to coincide with the MC and his love woes. Stuff like ToraDora, Kaguya, Kimi ni Todoke, etc. basically. I'm fine with something fluffy that focuses on one or two couples too. As long as it's not another harem, I'll be happy honestly.
But.. having more than two girls is already a harem. lol
 

Melvo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
190
Country
Spain
Hey, I'm new here.
I read this discussion for several days now.

Guardian of the Witch was pretty nice, but the really good thing was the potential of the adventure. Not a fan of the art, but for a start that was okay.

Love the pacing of UxU, It might survive.


I think I know the rules, but do I have to read a specific chart before posting something here ?
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I'm a sucker for love triangles, so anything that maintains that kind of setting would be cool with me. Heck, I'd be cool with a love rectangle too as long as the story doesn't exceed more than 3 girls for the MC. Maybe have some other male/female characters that have their own love interest to coincide with the MC and his love woes. Stuff like ToraDora, Kaguya, Kimi ni Todoke, etc. basically. I'm fine with something fluffy that focuses on one or two couples too. As long as it's not another harem, I'll be happy honestly.
I wouldn't mind a reverse love triangle in Jump lol. I know there's a plenty of them in shoujo magazines, but in jump would be nice.

Hey, I'm new here.
I read this discussion for several days now.

Guardian of the Witch was pretty nice, but the really good thing was the potential of the adventure. Not a fan of the art, but for a start that was okay.

Love the pacing of UxU, It might survive.


I think I know the rules, but do I have to read a specific chart before posting something here ?
Welcome! I think you just need to keep the flow of the discussion, nothing more.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hey, I'm new here.
I read this discussion for several days now.

Guardian of the Witch was pretty nice, but the really good thing was the potential of the adventure. Not a fan of the art, but for a start that was okay.

Love the pacing of UxU, It might survive.


I think I know the rules, but do I have to read a specific chart before posting something here ?
Welcome! Well, the rules can be summed up in be civil towards everyone, talk about anything as long it's WSJ focused and don't post spoilers of series that have 3 volumes or more. Hope you have a good time here~
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But.. having more than two girls is already a harem. lol

I suppose that's true, but again, I don't mind the MC having 3 love interest as long as 1) it doesn't exceed those 3 girls, and 2) there other male characters that have their own love interest and are treated competently and not as a means to make the MC seem better. Honestly, bonus points if one of the other guys has an interest in one of the 3 girls. Call it an exception to the rules I guess :catshrug

Hey, I'm new here.
I read this discussion for several days now.

Guardian of the Witch was pretty nice, but the really good thing was the potential of the adventure. Not a fan of the art, but for a start that was okay.

Love the pacing of UxU, It might survive.


I think I know the rules, but do I have to read a specific chart before posting something here ?
Welcome to the forum. I'm rarely active but good to meet ya'!


I wouldn't mind a reverse love triangle in Jump lol. I know there's a plenty of them in shoujo magazines, but in jump would be nice.

That'd be interesting. I wonder how that would be handled from a more shounen lense. Haven't read many reverse love triangle manga, so I'm not familiar with how the format would be subverted to fit a more shounen(Jump) style of storytelling.
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
My personal gripe with romcom manga is that they are all too familiar. I feel like there are only so many new, twisty and subversive premises you can make in a japanese highschool setting, and even a lot of the different ones just end up feeling the same sooner or later (mostly sooner to me). Mixing other genres and settings into them can make them so much more interesting and engaging. Currently I'm enjoying Necromance in WSM, and I don't even think the romance at its core is all that good, but it can do so much with it that it keeps me engaged. It has some big, save the world end goals (which is how the story started too), but you don't even need that. A slice of lifeish romcom could take place in a sci fi setting too, maybe in a mundane space station revolving around the daily life of passangers or crew of a year long flight. Or fantasy in a small village or town merchants or craftsmen, kinda like the Atelier series of games.
But I guess I'm just not a fan of the genre and just want it to change to suit my interests, lol...
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
My personal gripe with romcom manga is that they are all too familiar. I feel like there are only so many new, twisty and subversive premises you can make in a japanese highschool setting, and even a lot of the different ones just end up feeling the same sooner or later (mostly sooner to me). Mixing other genres and settings into them can make them so much more interesting and engaging. Currently I'm enjoying Necromance in WSM, and I don't even think the romance at its core is all that good, but it can do so much with it that it keeps me engaged. It has some big, save the world end goals (which is how the story started too), but you don't even need that. A slice of lifeish romcom could take place in a sci fi setting too, maybe in a mundane space station revolving around the daily life of passangers or crew of a year long flight. Or fantasy in a small village or town merchants or craftsmen, kinda like the Atelier series of games.
But I guess I'm just not a fan of the genre and just want it to change to suit my interests, lol...
I'd like to see a battle harem romcom. One where the girls fight each other in hyper violent, Jojo-esque fights.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Personally, I love romance, so I'll read a lot of stuff if it has any sort of romantic subplot, even if that's not what it's about. (Of course I end up enjoying it for other things in addition to or apart form the romance). Hell, I'm actually reading Koisome Momiji as I type. Yet, I feel as if Weekly Shonen Jump always produces the same type of romcoms, personally, complete with similar character archetypes, settings, and especially tropes, with a few twists here and there. For comparison, Weekly Young Jump has Kaguya-sama: Love is War, The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You, and Kowloon Generic Romance all being serialized right now, and all three of them are quite different. I guess the magazine's strict like that - stick to what works for you (even though GoToubun is outselling WNL by a country mile).

So:
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
  • Mitama Secureity
  • Zipman
  • Agravity Boys
  • Undead x Unluck
  • Mashle
  • Guardian of the Witch
Of these seven, who shall be the ones to survive?
Miitama and (hopefully) Guardian. I honestly can'tsay for the bottom 5. But damn, we now have at least 3 gag manga in the magazine. One of them has got to survive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top